• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - Japan goes CRAZY [Screenshots - 1080p/No AA?]

Murkas

I'll be getting it. But why am I getting it? I've already got all the hi rank armour and slain every monster. What the fuck is wrong with me :(

I feel it would have been alot better if this was 3rdG or who knows maybe they will add more DLC or something with the ps3 version.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sweet God. So beautiful. I will buy any and all PSP RPGs that come out with a HD version. This should be a feature between NGP and PS4 as well. Get those software sales jumping up across the board.

fates

Capcom said the reason they weren't releasing MHP3rd here was because they didn't think it worthwhile on the PSP.

Well, here's a PS3 version. No excuse Capcom! I'll take 20!

Duffyside

Banned
Wow, never realized how rich the color palette of a Monster Hunter game was before. As an animal lover, not sure I will enjoy this game though.

Murkas

duffyside said:
Wow, never realized how rich the color palette of a Monster Hunter game was before. As an animal lover, not sure I will enjoy this game though.

you don't have to kill them. you can send them to sleep and get the same rewards.

After amputating their tails and breaking their horns.

duffyside said:

They're monsters, not animals. Eat or be eaten dude!

Orayn

Cripes, those direct feed screens look fantastic. Sure, it's probably still running at 30FPS, but the MH games have always had such a wonderfully detailed art style that I don't mind at all.
Crossing my fingers that Capcom USA's cryptic comments about us not getting the PSP version were referring to this.

Murkas said:
you don't have to kill them. you can send them to sleep and get the same rewards.

Well, when you capture them, they're dissected by someone else, hence the parts you receive at the end of the quest. I think it was PS2 Monster Hunter Dos where you could capture monsters to use in a PvP arena mode.

Why didn't they port the Wii version instead? I played a little bit of MH3 on Dolphin yesterday and it looked way better than this. PSP graphics in HD = No thanks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Murkas said:

Not at all true. Capture rewards, and Carves can be quite different.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Murkas said:

You do know you trap them in order to rip more of his organs and parts in the village than you would be able to in the wilds, right?

Hahaha.

Orayn

nincompoop said:
Why didn't they port the Wii version instead? I played a little bit of MH3 on Dolphin yesterday and it looked way better than this. PSP graphics in HD = No thanks.
To be fair, the geometry is almost the same among all Monster Hunter versions, the lighting effects are new, and the textures are definitely drawn from HD assets.
Oh, and Tri didn't sell a bazillion copies in Japan like Portable 3rd did.
Brazil said:
You do know you trap them in order to rip more of his organs and parts in the village than you would be able to in the wilds, right?

Hahaha.
To be fair, there are a handful of quests where someone explicitly wants a monster captured for a pet, beast of burden, etc.
You can spin the fluff that way if you really want. Not really sure what you'd do with a captured Khezu or Gigginox, though. Those things are nasty.

Wazzim

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
Well, when you capture them, they're dissected by someone else, hence the parts you receive at the end of the quest. I think it was PS2 Monster Hunter Dos where you could capture monsters to use in a PvP arena mode.
You can do that in Dos? Guess I didn't play enough to do that, sounds cool.

Wow, I wished for something like this and here it is. Playing MH on the PSP is great, but playing on a Dualshock is so much easier on the thumbs. This better make it to America Capcom.

fates

The whole "I don't like hurting animals" thing -- don't feel bad, the monsters you fight aren't exactly the cute and friendly variety (Yian Kut Ku was kinda cute though ^.^). When Rathalos (and Rathian) take off, if you chase them fast enough, you see them ripping at some herbivores to refuel themselves.

I can't hurt a fly, but I have no problems playing Monster Hunter...

... except when Capcom decides not to bring it over. C'mon Capcom, let's do this!

Murkas

EvilMario said:
Not at all true. Capture rewards, and Carves can be quite different.

Me and my friends always debate over this. In my experience capture increases the % of some of the rarer stuff. I honestley don't remember losing out on rewards after capturing. I usually get the rare stuff and the common/uncommon stuff. Of course I do break their parts before capturing.

Brazil said:

Hahaha.

sshhhh

He doesn't need to know that. The monsters go to a fun playground after capturing them because the village shamans have made them all docile and happy.

Corto

Haunted said:
If they're bringing it over this is so bought.

Monster Hunter is the most addictive shit since Diablo.

Naming is pretty fucking ridiculous tho. :lol Can't wait for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Version Pocket!

Hey! The real news is that you're back... ;)

I just want the online portion of the game to be clarified. What do they mean with ad hoc party mode?

Duffyside

Banned
fates said:
The whole "I don't like hurting animals" thing -- don't feel bad, the monsters you fight aren't exactly the cute and friendly variety
Heh, I don't just have a problem hurting dolphins and bunnies. One of the most horrific things I've seen was a video from China of a live, non-cute animal having its skin ripped off. Literally haunts me to this day.

I'm not judging people who do play Monster Hunter, haha, or people who like to hunt (as long as you do it responsibly). It just may not be for me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Orayn said:
To be fair, the geometry is almost the same among all Monster Hunter versions, the lighting effects are new, and the textures are definitely drawn from HD assets.
Oh, and Tri didn't sell a bazillion copies in Japan like Portable 3rd did.
To be fair, that's not the case at all. Geometry is clearly improved in Tri over any other MH, including Frontier, a lot of content in Portable 3rd was downported from Tri so at least that could have higher quality versions in this PS3 port, and this obviously won't sell as much as Portable 3rd either because, well, it's not portable, despite the name, duh. Even if it wasn't a port it would never do the numbers the PSP games get. Ever. Tri did much better than the 2 PS2 games, the series only exploded due to local portable social play. Not to mention an enhanced Tri port might have sold more because, well, much less people already have that.

NIN90

Capcom are brilliant in milking single game titles.
Did they even release a game this gen that they didn't rehash?

params7 said:
So, this will have co-op over PSN right or is it just a local thing?

Ad-hoc Party support, so online multiplayer yes. We don't really know how well it will be implemented yet, but you'll be able to play online, which is the main thing I suppose.

sn00zer

Hmmm...this is a scary trend....this better be at an insanely discounted price...like $15-$20
It would incredibly disappointing if companies start releasing PS2 level graphics at high resolution instead of the awesome graphics we have nowadays

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
NIN90 said:
Capcom are brilliant in milking single game titles.
Did they even release a game this gen that they didn't rehash?
dr1

but then they milked frank west because of dumbos that cream at "I COVERED WARS YOU KNOW" etc

Takao

Banned
Capcom didn't exploit their failed PSP games like Megaman: Powered Up, and the X remake at all.
Because they were failures.

sn00zer said:
Hmmm...this is a scary trend....this better be at an insanely discounted price...like $15-$20
It would incredibly disappointing if companies start releasing PS2 level graphics at high resolution instead of the awesome graphics we have nowadays

lol $15 for Blu-Ray releases. They'll be $30-$40 in the US.

Xater

Y2Kev said:
dr1

but then they milked frank west because of dumbos that cream at "I COVERED WARS YOU KNOW" etc

Well there is an iPhone game and a Wii version.

I would have said Zack & Wiki.

Kaizer

Banned
I REALLY hope this comes to the U.S., my dreams of playing Monster Hunter with a dualshock 3 on my hd television have finally been realized!

Lesiroth

Now that I've seen the trailer on my PC, I can say I'm excited.

How would it have extra exclusive content though if it is multiplayer compatible with the PSP game?

Regarding multiplayer, if I understood it correctly:
- PS3 can connect with other local PSPs for multiplayer
- PS3 can connect with PSPs/PS3s playing online on Ad-Hoc Party
- PS3 can connect local PSPs to Ad-Hoc Party so both systems can play online

If so, FUCK YES.

A slightly-OT question: Does NGP's BC for PSP games allow it to connect to PSPs for multiplayers? I hope so, imagine MHP3 running on an NGP, PS3 and PSP, and they're all playing multiplayer together. Holy Shit.

Alextended said:
To be fair, that's not the case at all. Geometry is clearly improved in Tri over any other MH, including Frontier, a lot of content in Portable 3rd was downported from Tri so at least that could have higher quality versions in this PS3 port, and this obviously won't sell as much as Portable 3rd either because, well, it's not portable, despite the name, duh. Even if it wasn't a port it would never do the numbers the PSP games get. Ever. Tri did much better than the 2 PS2 games, the series only exploded due to local portable social play. Not to mention an enhanced Tri port might have sold more because, well, much less people already have that.
In my opinion HD third only needs to sell better than Tri to prove that Capcom's decision to put Tri on the wii was a mistake.

Tenbatsu

Looks good in HD, but am not biting. Will wait for MH3G or MHP3G instead.

Here hoping it will pull in more MH players in the west.

Takao

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
In my opinion HD third only needs to sell better than Tri to prove that Capcom's decision to put Tri on the wii was a mistake.

It won't sell more than Tri. Tri was (at the time) all new content people had never seen before. This is just a port of a game that everyone who's interested in Monster Hunter in Japan has already played.

I think I've spotted some redone textures, looks like a few things might have been tidied up and it isn't a direct port. Most obvious differences are the bindings on the fences and the bones on the gate.

Takao said:
It won't sell more than Tri. Tri was (at the time) all new content people had never seen before. This is just a port of a game that everyone who's interested in Monster Hunter in Japan has already played.
3rd was Asia only, but there's still the west. I'm thinking worldwide numbers could be in 3rd HD's favor despite the obvious handicaps.

mugurumakensei said:
Unlikely.... Tri sold better than MH1 PS2 in the west as well as the psp games.
The amount of piracy on the psp, especially of the monster hunter games, is something else, and MH didn't really take off until the psp versions appeared so I wouldn't use PS2 MH1 sales to predict how 3rd HD will sell.

Top Bottom