• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - Japan goes CRAZY [Screenshots - 1080p/No AA?]

2 analog sticks, the only thing I really wanted added in MHP3rd since playing MHTri...now that it's happening, I can't pass on that offer, I hope it'll be a budget price release though.

klee123

Metalmurphy said:
Am I too naive in saying that PS3 sales are gonna go through the roof in Japan when this releases?

Although this will help move some PS3s. I have doubts whether it'll become a smash hit, simply because that the series is popular on portables.

That said, if it can sell as many copies as the Wii version in Japan(highly doubtful though), it'll be a smashing success already.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmm... How does Portable 3rd fare to Freedom Unite and Tri?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
klee123 said:
4.5 Million to 4+ million and 1+ million respectively in Japan.

I mean in terms of quality and reception.

Defuser

Luigiv said:
Have you tried playing an untranslated MH game? It's not as easy as you'd think it'd be.
You're kidding right?Apart from skill set translation,the rest of the game can play without translation easily.

syoaran

ULTROS! said:

It's the best iteration of the franchise, but for some of the hardcore they complained that the core content was too easy. Being a non-Japanese speaking playing MH for the first time, I'd say this is a great place to start.

Reception, sales are insane and post launch free DLC is plenty-some.

Curufinwe

Defuser said:
You're kidding right?Apart from skill set translation,the rest of the game can play without translation easily.

You might be able to play untranslated Monster Hunter easily, but I don't think that's true for everyone.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Wow, that video of Monster Hunter on the PS3 looks awesome. I can't wait to see more PSP games on the PS3. They have my money!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
syoaran said:
It's the best iteration of the franchise, but for some of the hardcore they complained that the core content was too easy. Being a non-Japanese speaking playing MH for the first time, I'd say this is a great place to start.

Reception, sales are insane and post launch free DLC is plenty-some.

Yeah, series vets say it's too easy to defeat all of the monsters but if you're a first time player you're not going to be complaining that it's too easy, I think.

syoaran

French said:
Early predictions anyone ? More than 100k FW ?

How are people reacting on japanese websites ?

Positively, but I doubt this will make more money than the PSP version of the game, even in the long run. Theres a reason why MHP does so well on portable systems rather than home consoles, but this way it entices core gamers back to the couch where the rest of the Sony tech is.

yurinka

This is huge, specially for Japan. This would have been a major E3 bomb, specially if -like in Minis- you can play buy the PS3 version and play it in PSP (remember it also has the Minis feature of PSP/PS3 shared savedata).

So if you already don't have the game and buy the HD version, you can use it in both platforms. I think this would help PS3 and PSP sales, offering great PSP content to PS3 only owners, who would buy PSP software.

And after buying some of these PSP-PS3 games, they would consider to buy a PSP/NGP to play the games they own (Monster Hunter Portable 3, Peace Walker, Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, God of War,...) in the go, in addition to play them at home.

Let's hope it also has trophies.

thuway

This is how all future Sony releases should be done. You can have a version of Killzone 4 at home, and an NGP version to play online. Shit'sfuckingsickyo'.

Ratrat

ULTROS! said:
probably about the same and pretty high. But its kind of hard to gauge Tri's reception due to all the fanboy crap.

And why do people think this will affect ps3 sales? There's Monster Hunter on 360...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Crakatak187 said:
Would be pretty awesome if it was compatible with NGP.

I think they already said that MH Portable 3rd was compatible w/ NGP? Or was that just a "demo" like the other game they were showing off during the NGP reveal?

Haunted

If they're bringing it over this is so bought.

Monster Hunter is the most addictive shit since Diablo.

Naming is pretty fucking ridiculous tho. :lol Can't wait for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Version Pocket!

yurinka

HaRyu said:
I think they already said that MH Portable 3rd was compatible w/ NGP? Or was that just a "demo" like the other game they were showing off during the NGP reveal?
They said all digital PSP games (including PS1 and Minis) will be playable in NGP thanks to BC. This includes MHP3rd, and looks like it was even possible to map the front buttons to the 2nd analog for camera support, the inverse they did in PS1->PSP emulation.

In the NGP announcement conference demonstrated this feature with a playabe version of MHP3rd.

HaRyu said:
I don't know really, but it would be nice to have something that's not a direct port. I've always liked this remaster kind of treatment. It'll be unneeded if the NGP automatically adds AA and decent AF and run it at NGP native res though.

Ryuuga

Banned
This...is..the greatest thing ever. If MHP3R has wifi support then I'm definitely in. I see the assets are only being rendered in HD as opposed to being 'reworked' so it still looks like a step-back from Monster Hunter on Wii in many ways, but I'm still looking forward to it. I hope this is the next step to having a Monster Hunter built from the ground up ON HD consoles.

yurinka

kinggroin said:
Any word on the online setup? If its ad-hoc only, I'm sadly going to pass on this.
It says that Ad-Hoc Party is integrated in this PSP Remaster games. Not sure if it's integrated directly inside the game, or if you have to go to the external app to activate it.

Wazzim

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
How much money did soney spend on this
$100,000 probably lol.

Like I expected, no new shaders or anything just scaled to 1080P. I hope it's cheap and not sold like a full 6000Yen game.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Crakatak187 said:
I don't know really, but it would be nice to have something that's not a direct port. I've always liked this remaster kind of treatment. It'll be unneeded if the NGP automatically adds AA and decent AF and run it at NGP native res though.

It was mentioned that other than the usual hardware upgrades (dual analog, 3d, blah blah), there's supposedly extra PS3 content for the new release.

Releasing it on a blu-ray disk seems a little like overkill though, PSP games aren't THAT big, even if they did add those extra features. I suspect that the blu-ray release will also come w/ the PSP game, that would make it even more enticing to buy, don't you think?

EDIT: Copy of the game as in, its on the disk, and you would download it to your PSP/NGP.

Jinko

Meh this is lazy, Capcom just make Monster Hunter PS3 already :(

Sure the game looks better in HD but those textures ..urgh..

HaRyu said:
EDIT: Copy of the game as in, its on the disk, and you would download it to your PSP/NGP.

Doubt it, unless you mean some kind of Playstation Network code to download it. I mean, what's stopping people from sharing the disc and getting free PSP copies?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yuck, no texture enhancements or anything, just high res output and filtering on top? Not even using the actual Tri based assets which were better quality than the PSP versions (though most of these screens only show Portable 3rd exclusive material I guess)? Well, I wonder how this will do, surely most interested people already have this on PSP and the PS3 version doesn't have the portability aspect. Maybe it's mostly for the West, skipping the PSP release altogether due to the bad sales and piracy issues? I wonder how it will do compared to Tri in the West (the Japanese release won't be enough to judge much from since they have the game on PSP) if that's the case. What about crossplatform play?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
OneMoreQuestion said:
Doubt it, unless you mean some kind of Playstation Network code to download it. I mean, what's stopping people from sharing the disc and getting free PSP copies?

Doh, forgot about the "its human nature to always want free crap" thing. Good point. :p

kinggroin

Banned
OK, so ad-hoc party on ps3 allows for some kind of tunneling to allow online play? I'm guessing it works like that one PC app which allowed Xbox LAN games to play online. If so, I wonder how seamless it is.

Alrus

So this is pretty much a cheap cash in? Nothing to get excited about then =/

delume said:
Where is this info from? I have been waiting to jump into the Monster Hunter series, this may do it.

Or you could buy MhTri on wii which is better and more challenging that this. And it's also a genuine effort instead of this. Do it =)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's funny, I came THIS close to buying MHP3rd in Japan last week, but decided I'd spent too much money already and held off.

Now I'm glad I waited. ^^

yurinka

kinggroin said:
OK, so ad-hoc party on ps3 allows for some kind of tunneling to allow online play? I'm guessing it works like that one PC app which allowed Xbox LAN games to play online. If so, I wonder how seamless it is.
Ad-hoc party makes your PSP think that your PS3 is another PSP to play ad-hoc (not on-line) only PSP multiplayer games.

And then tunnels this from the PS3 to other PS3 where it has another PSP connected in the same way. So it ables to play 2 PSP on-line in ad-hoc only multiplayer games, that didn't implemented it.
Ratrat said:
probably about the same and pretty high. But its kind of hard to gauge Tri's reception due to all the fanboy crap.

And why do people think this will affect ps3 sales? There's Monster Hunter on 360...
People only care about MH mainly in Japan, where almost nobody cares about 360. And the 360 MH was a port of a several years PC game, that was a slightly modified port of a even older PS2 game.

MHP3rd is so huge in Japan, is one of the best selling games of this gen, at least for PSP. With this fanbase and this new features (big screen, second analog, HD, 3D, shared savedata, on-line...), many people will like to play it in PS3 too, so it maybe will move some consoles (I would bet not a ton).

Top Bottom