• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores (Halo 2 = GTA:SA > MGS3 > MP 2)

SantaCruZer said:
Thank you. I agree it's ridicilous to complain about these scores, but things have gone down the shitter for Nintendo latley, and I really wanted MP2:E to be on par with GTA:SA and Halo2.

It's just frustration.

you completely missed his sarcasm.

SantaC

Mrbob said:
Uh, considering the high marks MP2 received it is on par with Halo 2 and GTA:SA. So you're frustration stems from the fact the biggest Xmas GC title didn't score the same as the biggest Xbox and biggest PS2 title? Making it the weakest of all three big Xmas titles? Is this what you are saying? Are you calling MP2 weak compared to Halo 2 and GTA:SA?

I wouldn't call that weak, but some people sure like to bring it out like that. You seen the thread title..right.

TheGreenGiant said:
you completely missed his sarcasm.

It didn't sound like sarcasm...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SantaCruZer said:
I wouldn't call that weak, but some people sure like to bring it out like that. You seen the thread title..right.

Strings pulled... puppets dance.... I'm getting flashbacks of Dougs recent thread for some reason....

Drinky Crow said:
If you can delude yourself that Metroid Prime 2's controls and visor/scanning shit are fun, then you should be able to pull the wool over your own eyes and pretend it's the greatest game of all time regardless of what EGM thinks.

SORRY, SKIP :(

Either you're really a really entertaining (albeit antagonistic) guy to have around here, or you should be one of the first to get the draft.

I can't decide :D

SantaC

Anyway I let the ball roll enough today, and it's been fun (sarcasm) argueing. No hard feelings. I have posted enough for today. Time to go out and do other stuff. Cya later.

Razoric said:
And if Edge game the game a "low" score of 9 or *gasp* 8, then would you shut the fuck up?

My complain is more valid than your stupid "shut a fuck up" comment so i guess probably not. The fact is Vice City got triple 10s for being an update to the excellent GTA3(if there's a game of these two which deserves a 10 its probably GTA3 and not VC) but it seems this is just valid to the GTA franchise.......if Echoes also ends up to being an update to the MP shouldnt it receive the same score too?

Brofist

Seriously only the 5 diehard Killzone fans that are still left out there have something to bitch at looking at that list of scores. 28/30 is very respectable. You have remember besides things like graphics and what not, review scores include some intangibles that factor in. That's why despite some flaws a game like GTA:SA can be scored like that.

"You guys are insane, I've experienced bouts of TERRIBLE slowdown in San Andreas but the best part is I didn't care! The game's enjoyment totally squashed any of my misgivings about the graphics/framerate within 10 minutes. What the game is under 30 fps? Watch me care as I pull the coolest stunt off Mt. Chiliad in a fucking 747."

Not that I'm pointing at anyone. But some of the same folks in this thread ignoring the framerate problems in GTA: SA are the same ones who completely dismiss games like PGR2 when they don't lock at 60 FPS. And PGR2 was about 2 x more stable than GTA: SA. While they are different genres, be consistent in that aspect at least.

Grubdog

Banned
Ok, to everyone bitching about the GTA:SA scores, STFU. As a Nintendo fan, I will say that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is fucking awesome, one of the best games i've ever played. Only someone going into the game LOOKING for flaws would be able to notice them, does GTA:SA have a bad framerate? Probably! I haven't noticed though. Enjoy the game and shut up!
Jesus, this thread is depressing. Can't we just do away with numbered scores already?
I agree, numbers are not necessary and make the actual review seem irrelivant, and whenever I give a game I like a score, I always end up changing my mind all the time about it. I change my scores (opinions) of games in my IGN collection about once a week (yes, very sad, i'm addicted to it though).

Also, Metroid Prime is tied with Super Mario 64/Majora's Mask as my favourite game of all time, and i'm really looking forward to Echoes, and if it's better than Metroid Prime like you guys say it is, I can see it becoming my favourite game of all time. All this "games have to live up to a higher standard as time passes!" bullshit is irrelevent to me, i just dont understand it. If a sequel is better than its predecessor, it deserves a better score.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
werther said:
something seems really wrong with gta getting straight 10s and ekkoes 9,9,10. A game in which the main focus is you drive from point A to B while in between you can get a haircut and act out your wigger fantasies, being scored perfect seems unnatural.
Congratulations on being the dumbest twat ever to grace these boards. You beat out some impressive company, btw.

Bregor

GAF has reached the nadir of it's existence. Soon even games that get perfect scores and universal acclaim will be denigrated here.

CrimsonSkies said:
"You guys are insane, I've experienced bouts of TERRIBLE slowdown in San Andreas but the best part is I didn't care! The game's enjoyment totally squashed any of my misgivings about the graphics/framerate within 10 minutes. What the game is under 30 fps? Watch me care as I pull the coolest stunt off Mt. Chiliad in a fucking 747."

Not that I'm pointing at anyone. But some of the same folks in this thread ignoring the framerate problems in GTA: SA are the same ones who completely dismiss games like PGR2 when they don't lock at 60 FPS. And PGR2 was about 2 x more stable than GTA: SA. While they are different genres, be consistent in that aspect at least.

You can't compare a racer to something like GTA. There are different expectations for each genre.

Bregor said:
GAF has reached the nadir of it's existence. Soon even games that get perfect scores and universal acclaim will be denigrated here.

dude. I think it hasn't been emphaised enough but this is EGM we're talking about. They're like the "O" mag for videogaming. I can't wait for the gamespot scores because we all know the IGN scores will be retarded anyhow.

00010052873001.jpg

Arcticfox

EGM has three people rate each game for a reason. It is supposed to show you how several people with different opinions about video games like the new releases.

Say the person that gave a 10 to MP2 was a huge metroid fan and loved the original. If you have his same opinion of the series you should love this game.

Say the people that gave 9's to MP2 were more average gamers who may not love the series. If you have the same opinion as them, the 9 should mean you will really enjoy the game anyways but there may be other games out there you will like more.

Just a single 10 should make every Metroid fan happy. You are almost guaranteed to love MP2.

Mrbob

Arcticfox said:
EGM has three people rate each game for a reason. It is supposed to show you how several people with different opinions about video games like the new releases.

Say the person that gave a 10 to MP2 was a huge metroid fan and loved the original. If you have his same opinion of the series you should love this game.

Say the people that gave 9's to MP2 were more average gamers who may not love the series. If you have the same opinion as them, the 9 should mean you will really enjoy the game anyways but there may be other games out there you will like more.

Just a single 10 should make every Metroid fan happy. You are almost guaranteed to love MP2.

Dude, it got two 9s who cares about the 10! WTF is up with those 9s EGM HATES GAMECUBE.

I bet no one around the office wanted to review Metroid Prime 2. They noticed it was for Gamecube and the were like GAMECUBE LOL MORE LIKE LAMECUBE TWO 9S AND ONE 10 FOR YOU NOW WE AREN'T BIAS SO BE OFF CRAPPY DISC! And that is the end of the tale.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
CrimsonSkies said:
Not that I'm presuming to speak for any of the 60fps whores (I wasn't one of them), but it's fair to assume that the overall experience provided by San Andreas is enough to overcome any framerate shortcomings. PGR2, for whatever reasons, wasn't strong enough - and to be fair, a simple racing game can't be expected to provide the same diverse experience as GTA.

That said, I'd argue that 60fps would be more important for a racing game than GTA, due to the nature of the genre. Just tossing that out there.
Fight for Freeform said:
Any mention in the reviews if they've fixed Metroid Prime 2's controls?
Not unless they included a free Controller S and adaptor in every package. MP's controls were asstastic.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wow can you say hypocrite? The new Halo has been hyped like it's the next incarnation of god even though it doesn't offer anything revolutionary. It's more of the same, just better and more polished than the last game. I am not saying it's a bad thing.

Just so you know, it is most certainly NOT more of the same...

People keep claiming this, and that is what many expected, but it isn't more of the same...

Redbeard

Banned
Flames, hurt feelings, funny pictures, arguments about GTA being more of the same and more arguments about Metroid's controls.

This thread is living up to expectations.

ferricide

Minotauro said:
Jesus, this thread is depressing. Can't we just do away with numbered scores already?
outside of the context of this shithole, they work fine. so, no.

christ this thread got painful, btw. what's with you guys?

MORE FUN PLZ

Mzo

Anyone who shits on PGR2 is a complete asshole. That was one of the best racers this generation.

Call me a renaissance man or whatever, but I'm gonna go out, buy Halo 2, MP2, and GTA:SA & MGS3 (when they're ported to the Xbox), and enjoy the hell out of them because I could give a shit less about what some dude in a little cubicle on the other side of the country thinks about them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bacon said:
Prime's controls are fine. Anyone who says otherwise must really suck at games.
Au contraire, mon frere. Having been lucky enough to not only enjoy gaming as a hobby since the early 80's, and even more fortunate to be making them since 1995, I can assure you that Metroid Prime's control scheme is one of the worst I've ever come across. Some fault lies squarely with the design of the Gamecube controller, but the control scheme itself was backwards from the get-go.

In my opinion. ;)

Bacon said:
Prime's controls are fine. Anyone who says otherwise must really suck at games.

It's my suspicion that people who complain about such trivial stuff must have some deep rooted brain trauma, possibly caused by flunging their controllers at the tv with excessive force and said controller hitting them back in the head resulting in permanent brain damage. Thus, hindering the brain's natural ability to adapt to simple changes to their surroundings.

Razoric

Banned
huzkee said:
It's my suspicion that people who complain about such trivial stuff must have some deep rooted brain trauma, possibly caused by flunging their controllers at the tv with excessive force and said controller hitting them back in the head ensuing in permanent brain damage thus hindering the brain natural ability to adapt to simple changes to their surroundings.

You mean like a few framerate hiccups?

fossen

siamesedreamer said:
Call me a renaissance man or whatever, but I'm gonna go out, buy Halo 2, MP2, and GTA:SA & MGS3 (when they're ported to the Xbox), and enjoy the hell out of them because I could give a shit less about what some dude in a little cubicle on the other side of the country thinks about them.
Testify.

Seems to be some confusion here about the quality of a game, and one person's opinion of said game. The two are different.

All this MP2 whinging over the fact that only one of three people thought the game was worthy of the top score possible? Y'all are free to agree with hte one that called it 10/10, you know. No law against it.

Yet. :)

bishoptl said:
Au contraire, mon frere. Having been lucky enough to not only enjoy gaming as a hobby since the early 80's, and even more fortunate to be making them since 1995, I can assure you that Metroid Prime's control scheme is one of the worst I've ever come across. Some fault lies squarely with the design of the Gamecube controller, but the control scheme itself was backwards from the get-go.

In my opinion. ;)

If you're trying to say the controls are SO bad that it hinders gameplay to the point where you can't find the game enjoyable, you are wrong.

And playing/making games since the 80s doesn't mean you're good at them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I dunno. I quit on Halo Xbox a third of the way through because I couldn't stand the control scheme, and completed the PC version instead using a mouse and keyboard. That's why I'll be renting Halo 2 first instead of purchasing it outright.

Considering you rely on the controls to interact with the game and all....having controls that work would seem to be a fairly basic thing. Maybe you MP fans are privy to some private information the rest of us are not. :p
Bacon said:
If you're trying to say the controls are SO bad that it hinders gameplay to the point where you can't find the game enjoyable, you are wrong.
So you say. I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid once I finished Twin Snakes. Agree to disagree, then.
And playing/making games since the 80s doesn't mean you're good at them.
Ah, but I am. Wouldn't have survived my first go-round with EA if I wasn't. :)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
bishoptl said:
I dunno. I quit on Halo Xbox a third of the way through because I couldn't stand the control scheme, and completed the PC version instead using a mouse and keyboard. That's why I'll be renting Halo 2 first instead of purchasing it outright.

Considering you rely on the controls to interact with the game and all....having controls that work would seem to be a fairly basic thing. Maybe you MP fans are privy to some private information the rest of us are not. :p

You just suck at console games bish :p

SyNapSe

SantaCruZer said:
More like GAF whines at MP controls.

Sorry I couldn't stay away from this fucking forum :p

Sorry but the Prime control scheme sucked. Flat out. Did it keep me from enjoying the game? No. The control scheme was functional. That doesn't mean there is no reason to try to make it more natural feeling though.

bishoptl said:

Well, you have to understand theres like five million people that would disagree with you in regards to Halo's controls. Just because YOU don't like them doesn"t mean they're bad. The same goes with Prime.

SyNapSe said:
Sorry but the Prime control scheme sucked. Flat out. Did it keep me from enjoying the game? No. The control scheme was functional. That doesn't mean there is no reason to try to make it more natural feeling though.

Cry-Baby.gif

Search didn't turn up anything and I'm too lazy to read this whole bloody thing - were those all the reviews, or did they also review Alien Hominid, Half Life 2, and Jak 3?

Firest0rm

SyNapSe said:

I think the controls were perfect, and I'm not sorry for disagreeing with you.

Top Bottom