• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Anime "Mini-Series": Strongest Mega Evolution

Toxi

Banned
Seriously, though. I'd watch an anime just about Mega Pinsir.

pinsir-mega.gif
It would be one of those bad 80's action films.

"THEY LAUGHED AT MY MEGA. I LAUGHED AT THEIR SCREAMS OF DEATH"

Imagine Mega Pinsir with Extreme Speed

Top 16 of the Indigo League
Top 8 of the Johto, Hoenn, and Unova League
Top 4 of the Sinnoh League
Champion of the Orange League and Battle Frontier (on par with the Elite Four)

Considering how the entire world appears to be Pokemon Trainers, within the series Ash is relatively accomplished Trainer who just can't catch a break in League Tournaments.

We might get one down the road, this Special really doesn't prevent that from happening. Origin Specials are probably way costly and lengthy to animate, so we weren't gonna see one right away anyway.

People who say this clearly don't watch the anime much anymore :p

Ash is a decent trainer. He evolves most of his Pokémon these days. He has decent strategies. He has had character development, contrary to what people continually trumpet. Hell, in the Sinnoh saga, he was the only trainer in the entirety of Sinnoh to actually take out any of Tobias' hax Pokémon, and he took down two of them. Yes there was a little bit of regression at the start of BW, but that went away 10 or so episodes later, to the point that one gym leader was on the verge of calling it quits in battle against Ash before the battle was won. Sure, he lost to an idiot in the Unova League, but that idiot had some deus ex machina on his side.

Watch Da Birdie, I was a believer until Deus Ex Machina Tobias happened and the Unova reset happened.

5 seasons of the same BS was enough for me to quit. Can Ash be good? Yes of course, only when plot requires it of course. Which is my point.

Anyways Joe you should know better being the head of Serebii. I will confirm that I dropped after Ash lost to Shooti/Trip/Trap? for the 3rd or so time in a row.

Ash is a decent trainer, but Alan looks beyond "decent" trainer.

Darkrai was POS plot device that should have fainted from Heracross's Megahorn.

Regression never goes away with Ash and you really should stop trying to make it seem like it did just because it stopped for a while. The Unova league where he lost to an idiot is reason enough. Also I bet you are cherry picking battles with the gym leader as Ash lost at least once vs a gym leader as he almost always does each season.

I can guess what happened during Unova. Ash catches new pokemon, loses to Shooti a couple of times and wins once or maybe twice and considers that a overall victory and then loses in the Unova League. What a shocker and surprise... Throw in the plot with the evil team and the season ends before or after the league.

JoeM86

Watch Da Birdie, I was a believer until Deus Ex Machina Tobias happened and the Unova reset happened.

5 seasons of the same BS was enough for me to quit. Can Ash be good? Yes of course, only when plot requires it of course. Which is my point.

Anyways Joe you should know better being the head of Serebii. I will confirm that I dropped after Ash lost to Shooti/Trip/Trap? for the 3rd or so time in a row.

Ash is a decent trainer, but Alan looks beyond "decent" trainer.

Darkrai was POS plot device that should have fainted from Heracross's Megahorn.

Regression never goes away with Ash and you really should stop trying to make it seem like it did just because it stopped for a while. The Unova league where he lost to an idiot is reason enough. Also I bet you are cherry picking battles with the gym leader as Ash lost at least once vs a gym leader as he almost always does each season.

I can guess what happened during Unova. Ash catches new pokemon, loses to Shooti a couple of times and wins once or maybe twice and considers that a overall victory and then loses in the Unova League. What a shocker and surprise... Throw in the plot with the evil team and the season ends before or after the league.

Ah, but I do know better because I watch it weekly still :p When you take just a small sampling of things, of course it'll look bad. It's like those saying that they wish the anime was like the B2W2 introduction movie. As I said then, if is when you take 5 one minute long action sequences from the entire saga and cut them into a video.

In X & Y, there has actually been very little regression. In fact, I'd say none. He had one loss in the Santalune Gym and that was perfectly logical. Had nothing to do with power or him being a bad trainer. Viola just used a clever strategy that screwed him over, so he had to train for it.

BW's regression was removed early on, after his second loss to Trip. From then on, he didn't lose against Trip again, and even defeated him in the Unova League.

First battle: Pikachu VS Snivy with Pikachu heavily weakened beforehand, and unable to use its moves due to being destroyed by a Zekrom.
Second battle: Ash primarily used unevolved, relatively untrained Pokémon against evolved Pokémon. Even the strongest trainer would lose given a crap team, plus the Cursed Body strategy took him by surprise
Third battle: It was a tie. Both sides defeated one Pokémon and the third tied
Fourth battle: First round of the Unova League. Ash destroyed him.

As for Gym Leaders, again it was due to using untrained Pokémon, and he won the episode afterward.

Seriously, you have to have the protagonist lose once in a while. The show would be utter trash if the trainer was just going through winning every battle.

Ah, but I do know better because I watch it weekly still :p When you take just a small sampling of things, of course it'll look bad. It's like those saying that they wish the anime was like the B2W2 introduction movie. As I said then, if is when you take 5 one minute long action sequences from the entire saga and cut them into a video.

In X & Y, there has actually been very little regression. In fact, I'd say none. He had one loss in the Santalune Gym and that was perfectly logical. Had nothing to do with power or him being a bad trainer. Viola just used a clever strategy that screwed him over, so he had to train for it.

BW's regression was removed early on, after his second loss to Trip. From then on, he didn't lose against Trip again, and even defeated him in the Unova League.

First battle: Pikachu VS Snivy with Pikachu heavily weakened beforehand, and unable to use its moves due to being destroyed by a Zekrom.
Second battle: Ash primarily used unevolved, relatively untrained Pokémon against evolved Pokémon. Even the strongest trainer would lose given a crap team, plus the Cursed Body strategy took him by surprise
Third battle: It was a tie. Both sides defeated one Pokémon and the third tied
Fourth battle: First round of the Unova League. Ash destroyed him.

As for Gym Leaders, again it was due to using untrained Pokémon, and he won the episode afterward.

Seriously, you have to have the protagonist lose once in a while. The show would be utter trash if the trainer was just going through winning every battle.

There was nothing wrong with Ash losing once in a while or suffering a losing streak even for a good storyline. But its the same boneheaded moves he does time and time again that just makes you lose all the respect he earned though his accomplishments.

Using Electric moves on a Ground type, choosing the wrong pokemon, falling victim to his own arrogance and other stuff he never seems to fix after the usual region reset.

Like I said in my earlier post, if Alan and Ash meet, its most likely Alan who would come out the victor unless for plots sake Ash wins.

This of course depends on Alan not being an Ash clone and how he good he is in the show and if he makes stupid mistakes.

Brickhunt

Ash gets unfairly blamed for the screw ups by the politics behind the anime. He should had won the Sinnoh league and got, at least, to fight the Elite 4. That Darkrai trainer was pure bullshit

The anime, in it's current has already far exceed it's welcome. Even if he didn't become a Pokémon Master, Ash should had won a regional competition and become a side-character for a new protagonist to take his place.

The Pokémon anime is a case of a show that has too many episodes for it's own good, and deserves a resolution already.

Charizard X versus a Mega Garchomp? This is a battle I want to see.

Can Charizard X learn any Ice attack?

Well now Fairy is just as good. ;b But Dragon claw is super effective vs Garchomp. Sure 4x would be better than 2x but you take what you can get within type limitations.

Forkball

I use Mega Venusaur. He's not flashy and has a muted design compared to the crazier mega evos, but nullifying two major weaknesses is a big plus.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
This looks good. Will watch, and hopefully add to my blu-ray anime collection.

JoeM86

He used his pokedex on a Surskit in the Santalune Gym. Stop defending him. It's getting weird.

You have to realise that they need to introduce these Pokémon to the younger audience who may not know them. That's what the Pokédex is for. Unless Ash directly references it, just ignore it.

Also, you may have seen a House Sparrow once. That doesn't mean that, if you see another, you'll recognise it. Plus, he hasn't exactly seen Surskit that often. The majority of its appearances have been by random characters in contests.

Plus, this is why it's good that May, Dawn and now Serena joined Ash. When they were around, they scanned the old Pokémon for it. However, Serena hadn't joined Ash at that point.

I'm tired of seeing ash's pikachu get stomped on by brand new trainers

It happened once.

You have to realise that they need to introduce these Pokémon to the younger audience who may not know them. That's what the Pokédex is for. Unless Ash directly references it, just ignore it.

Also, you may have seen a House Sparrow once. That doesn't mean that, if you see another, you'll recognise it. Plus, he hasn't exactly seen Surskit that often. The majority of its appearances have been by random characters in contests.

Plus, this is why it's good that May, Dawn and now Serena joined Ash. When they were around, they scanned the old Pokémon for it. However, Serena hadn't joined Ash at that point.

It happened once.
Dude, he lost to Viola. Even with a type advantage and a non nerfed Pikachu.

JoeM86

Dude, he lost to Viola. Even with a type advantage and a non nerfed Pikachu.

Yes, but you know why he lost. He lost because Viola froze the entire battlefield, causing Pikachu to struggle to move while Surskit moved with quick precision.

Stop looking at "Oh, he lost, he must suck" and look at the reasons.

The anime isn't the game. It's not a factor of stats or levels.

Dryk

They'll reveal in the last episode a new mega stone that transforms it into Charizard Z that gives it the ability to ignore an opponent's ability altogether. Because GameFreak.
Nah they'll give it a random typing that covers the rest of Charizard's weaknesses, because Mega Charizard isn't hard enough to nail before it nails you as it is.

Yes, but you know why he lost. He lost because Viola froze the entire battlefield, causing Pikachu to struggle to move while Surskit moved with quick precision.
180px-IL076_13.jpg

It's a real stretch that a Pikachu that used to regularly defeat Ground types with Electric attacks is somehow unable to defeat a freshly caught Bunnelby and a Surskit ten years later. You can justify it all you want but at the end of the day Pikachu is either crap or a god amongst 'mon to suit the writers.

JoeM86

Nah they'll give it a random typing that covers the rest of Charizard's weaknesses, because Mega Charizard isn't hard enough to nail before it nails you as it is.

180px-IL076_13.jpg

It's a real stretch that a Pikachu that used to regularly defeat Ground types with Electric attacks is somehow unable to defeat a freshly caught Bunnelby and a Surskit ten years later. You can justify it all you want but at the end of the day Pikachu is either crap or a god amongst 'mon to suit the writers.

Pikachu wasn't "unable to defeat" Bunnelby. The battle got stopped because Team Rocket interrupted. Bunnelby was starting to struggle in that battle.

Stop looking at "Oh, he lost, he must suck" and look at the reasons.

The anime isn't the game. It's not a factor of stats or levels.
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that Surskit was an ice type known for being able to move around frozen fields instead of a water type based off water striders who quite frankly don't hang around skating on ice. Because Pikachu really needs to move around to zap a water type. It's bullshit and you know it.

I'm going to look at it the way it looks like, he lost to the first gym leader with a type advantage and his much more experienced Pikachu. He used his Pokedex and acted surprised instead of explaining who that Pokemon is himself seeing as how he's seen this Pokemon multiple times now.

He sucks, he will always suck. Thanks to the terrible writers.

Toxi

Banned
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that Surskit was an ice type known for being able to move around frozen fields instead of a water type based off water striders who quite frankly don't hang around skating on ice. Because Pikachu really needs to move around to zap a water type. It's bullshit and you know it.

I'm going to look at it the way it looks like, he lost to the first gym leader with a type advantage and his much more experienced Pikachu. He used his Pokedex and acted surprised instead of explaining who that Pokemon is himself seeing as how he's seen this Pokemon multiple times now.

He sucks, he will always suck. Thanks to the terrible writers.
Maybe Viola got a level 100 perfect IV Surskit from the same place Origins Giovanni got his level 100 perfect IV Rhyhorn.

The only Mega I want to see out of this special is Mega Tyranitar. Best PseudoLegenday with the best mega evolution.

Mega_Tyranitar.png

Just look at this majestic beast.

Just remembered the Mega Blastoise belongs to the Water Elite 4 guy. He should really have a Mega Gyarados since he has a Gyarados in the games but they wouldn't be able to do their Charizard vs Blastoise again.

Even though the point of these specials is for this Alan guy to beat all the Mega Evolutions, the Elite 4 are apparently overpowered as hell in the anime so I don't really see Siebold losing to be honest. He might tell Alan to get stronger or something cliche at the end.

gosox333

At this point the show is a complete zombie that exists only to make money by entertaining children. The plot doesn't matter, the connections to the games don't matter, we all just gotta accept it and if you still do watch it for entertainment and are critical, at least keep that in mind.

JoeM86

At this point the show is a complete zombie that exists only to make money by entertaining children. The plot doesn't matter, the connections to the games don't matter, we all just gotta accept it and if you still do watch it for entertainment and are critical, at least keep that in mind.

This point? It's what it always has been.

gosox333

This point? It's what it always has been.

Guess I can't disagree, but the show felt so much different back when they didn't know what a monster the franchise would become. Like it felt like it could actually end or something, it felt like something might be accomplished. I haven't gotten that vibe from the show in as long as I can remember.

But I agree, the target has always been kids. And it still is more than ever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I use Mega Venusaur. He's not flashy and has a muted design compared to the crazier mega evos, but nullifying two major weaknesses is a big plus.
Mega Venusaur is one of the best megas in the game. I don't get why it is so underrated.

Blastoise fans were the ones who got fucked.

Brickhunt

If there is something I learned from franchises like TMNT, Digimon and Transformers, is that you can still make pretty good shows for kids AND adults while still aiming to sell toys/games/products to kids. Pokémon has no excuse, it is a very badly written show with occasional shining moments. (The League arcs are the best by far).

Of course I don't actual data, but I do think The Pokémon Company/TV Tokyo or whatever is in charge of the producing the anime has severely overestimated the importance of Ash and Pikachu for the franchise and the model of the Pokémon Adventures manga, of switching main characters every generation, is much better. (I do think the manga is very overrated and takes itself too serious, but I think would benefit of an anime adaptation).

I think giving a sense of closure to a character like Ash would bring far more benefits than just keeping him until the day the franchise finally loses popularity (Probably world ending level disaster for this to happen...)

I somewhat agree with the above poster that they should wrap up Ash's adventure and have one huge send off. Then start following a new group when a new generation starts up. I think that would give them a lot more flexibility.

Kyzer

Banned
Ash's pikachu is constantly getting wrecked by non experienced Pokemon and trainers dude idk what you're talking about. You defend every criticism as if you're a writer for the show but some us are really fans with criticisms and not just ignorant drive by haters.

JoeM86

Ash's pikachu is constantly getting wrecked by non experienced Pokemon and trainers dude idk what you're talking about. You defend every criticism as if you're a writer for the show but some us are really fans with criticisms and not just ignorant drive by haters.

It's not "constant". Seriously. The amount of times it happens is grossly exaggerated.

Notice I'm not defending criticisms. I'm correcting statements said as fact when they are inaccurate.

Besides, the XY saga has entirely new writers. You guys should give it a watch. It's good.

Pikachu wasn't "unable to defeat" Bunnelby. The battle got stopped because Team Rocket interrupted. Bunnelby was starting to struggle in that battle.

What.
Pikachu koed (albiet, a double knockout) a lati@s and then later didn't instantly roast a goddamn bunnelby into oblivion?

Yeah, that kinda proves the point that his power fluctuates wildly as the plot demands...

JoeM86

What.
Pikachu koed (albiet, a double knockout) a lati@s and then later didn't instantly roast a goddamn bunnelby into oblivion?

Yeah, that kinda proves the point that his power fluctuates wildly as the plot demands...

You need to remember that the anime isn't the games. There are no levels and things aren't as cut & dry as people make out it should be. It was about to beat Bunnelby, anyway, until Team Rocket interrupted.

I'll believe it when they have Ash win the Pokemon league.

That has no relevance on whether or not it has a new writing team.

CorvoSol

I am just happy the big three all got megas. If gen 1 got more, i'd like Raichu, Arcanine and Dragonite. I wish Pokemon fans weren't such big haters of their own series.

Like the other guy said, just because something is a merchandise advertisement kid show doesn't mean it can't be of good quality, a multitude of shows illustrate this.(and frankly no audience deserves to be treated like idiots)

Pokemon should have long since given Ash his league win and moved on to a new protagonist, for a show based on a clear sense of progresssion being stuck in some weird limbo is the worst thing you can do.

And its been going on for over a decade, the excuses of "it would be boring if he wins every match" no longer fly.

They should make a mega Pidgeot to tie in with the twitch popularity also needs mega Feraligatr since hes my fav stater but is pretty useless these days

Top Bottom