• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Anime "Mini-Series": Strongest Mega Evolution

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be honest the XY anime isn't THAT great, it only feels that way since its following Best Wishes which was the anime's second worst arc, just barely above Johto.

The first 20 episodes of the AG and DP arcs were much better, especially in terms of female companion. Serena largely feels like a less interesting or more laid-back version of May and Dawn, which is a shame because the writers have shown they can actually develop female companions in the show.

I do agree Serena needs to get her goals straightened out, but it's not like May and Dawn got their goals early on too.

With that said I really like the other characters, and even the filler episodes are worth watching (like that Pangoro episode). The recent episode is even great.

To be fair the anime hasn't moved on either.

Spoken like someone who never watched past Orange Islands.

Cybersai

Banned
I do agree Serena needs to get her goals straightened out, but it's not like May and Dawn got their goals early on too.

With that said I really like the other characters, and even the filler episodes are worth watching (like that Pangoro episode). The recent episode is even great.

Dawn's goal was established in her first episode. May found out about Contests by episode 13, and even prior to that she was already battling and trying to capture pokemon.

The problem with Serena is she doesn't seem to have any interest in battling and her goal seems to be an afterthought. She's really only there to crush on Ash and her pokemon is being treated like a pet. Most likely Serena is just going to go from goal to goal throughout the saga without having a real one and she's just going to try different things the whole arc.

Again, people only like Serena because she's coming directly after Iris. Compare Serena back to May and Dawn and she comes across as much worse.

Boss Doggie

Oh I agree with you. Though I thought prior to contests May was more about slowly enjoying what having a journey with your Pokemon is about (she wasn't so thrilled about it early on).

Who knows though? Maybe her rival in an upcoming episode would change that, but it seems about getting into Ash's pants again.

Though yeah, after the annoyance that was Iris, Serena is a welcome sight.

Cybersai

Banned
Problem with Serena is she literally comes across as eye candy and has a crush on Ash so young girls care about shipping subplot.

We've seen the whole beginning female trainer thing done better twice before so I don't know why they're handling Serena like this. Both Clemont and Bonnie are getting more attention and screentime over her.

Can you believe the XY anime is nearly 20 episodes in and Serena has not had a single real battle yet? I'm shocked, when have we ever gone 20 episodes into a series without seeing the female actually battle?

Come to think of it, what would Arcanine in particular need to be better with a mega? New typing? Ability?

Higher speed stat would probably be a start, though it's already pretty decent, I guess. Tough Claws would be a fitting ability too, especially considering how much of a beast a physically attacking Arcanine could be.

I always thought that the problem with Arcanine wasn't so much Arcanine, as much as it was other fire types doing what it can do more efficiently.

Boss Doggie

I thought Arcanine's speed problems are fixed with Extreme Speed?

Problem with Serena is she literally comes across as eye candy and has a crush on Ash so young girls care about shipping subplot.

We've seen the whole beginning female trainer thing done better twice before so I don't know why they're handling Serena like this. Both Clemont and Bonnie are getting more attention and screentime over her.

Can you believe the XY anime is nearly 20 episodes in and Serena has not had a single real battle yet? I'm shocked, when have we ever gone 20 episodes into a series without seeing the female actually battle?

Yeah she needs to do something soon otherwise she's just there for fanservice.

And I completely agree that I like Clemont and Bonnie more. There's even this joke about Ash liking Clemont more than Serena because he is so into Clemont's inventions (which is also a nice character trait - one would not expect Ash to be into SCIENCE!)

Cybersai

Banned
I wonder why there aren't more Misty fans raging about Serena's crush on Ash. I remember them being so paranoid when they thought May or Dawn liked Ash, but now we have a girl with a blatant crush.

I can only guess they all finally died off and left the fandom after a decade of finally getting it through their skulls that Misty wasn't coming back.

Toxi

Banned
Higher speed stat would probably be a start, though it's already pretty decent, I guess. Tough Claws would be a fitting ability too, especially considering how much of a beast a physically attacking Arcanine could be.

I always thought that the problem with Arcanine wasn't so much Arcanine, as much as it was other fire types doing what it can do more efficiently.
Give it an ability that makes Extremespeed Fire type. Watch it jump those tiers like nothing you've ever seen before.

Boss Doggie

Give it an ability that makes Extremespeed Fire type. Watch it jump those tiers like nothing you've ever seen before.
Hell yeah, make Arcanine worthy of that Legendary pokedex classification

Flareon would be very jelly

I wonder why there aren't more Misty fans raging about Serena's crush on Ash. I remember them being so paranoid when they thought May or Dawn liked Ash, but now we have a girl with a blatant crush.

I can only guess they all finally died off and left the fandom after a decade of finally getting it through their skulls that Misty wasn't coming back.

That and Tracey is apparently dating Misty.

DedValve

Banned

Spoken like someone who never watched past Orange Islands.

Watched some of johto and most of Diamond and pearl and only 1 episode of black/white. The show didn't grow at all, in fact the 1 black and white episode had ash using a pokedex on a charmander I believe. It regressed. That's...special I guess.

Heh. Worked for Mega Pinsir, I guess.

Giving something STAB normal moves is pretty much a guarantee it's going to go up a tier. Normal houses some of the most powerful and versatile moves in the game. Tri Attack, Hyper Beam, Explosion, etc. Not to mention you're potentially giving it additional super-effective damage.

Boss Doggie

It's like a reverse of fortune. Mega Heracross got the shaft while Mega Pinsir gained something.

Watched some of johto and most of Diamond and pearl and only 1 episode of black/white. The show didn't grow at all, in fact the 1 black and white episode had ash using a pokedex on a charmander I believe. It regressed. That's...special I guess.

Using Johto and Unova as a measuring stick is bad though, since those are bad seasons. D/P is pretty good except for a huuuuuge amount of filler.

XY is a step up because TR isn't always there, Ash is competent, his mons have personality, and the character interaction is good. Even filler episodes have been a nice watch.

Damn now I'm tempted to watch the series again. Guess I'll skip Unova and watch X/Y.

If Ash pull off too much BS again, then its back to the dropped section of my watch list.

Boss Doggie

Lost to a surskit

Actually he won to it after figuring out its trick. Again, the shit Viola does isn't something you see in early gym battles in anime. Compare the Brock and Falkner fight to Viola. Viola is actually competent.

But hey you can also trivialize anything with shit like that. Posts like that tend to be /vp/ troll tier.

Actually he won to it after figuring out its trick. Again, the shit Viola does isn't something you see in early gym battles in anime. Compare the Brock and Falkner fight to Viola. Viola is actually competent.

But hey you can also trivialize anything with shit like that. Posts like that tend to be /vp/ troll tier.

its a surskit

Boss Doggie

its a surskit

And it's the anime which breaks rules. Wake me up when Surskrit in game can create an ice rink and skate on it to boost its speed.

Seriously, am I arguing with people who suddenly forget that anime does shit that can't be done in games?

JoeM86

And it's the anime which breaks rules. Wake me up when Surskrit in game can create an ice rink and skate on it to boost its speed.

Seriously, am I arguing with people who suddenly forget that anime does shit that can't be done in games?

Yep. It frustrates me too. People never look at actual context and just think of things in game terms

"Oh, Pikachu must be level 5634564354897895656 by now while Surskit is Level 12. Pikachu should have OHKO'd it"

Typically, people do this based solely upon second hand data. All they see is loss. It's the same with Pikachu VS Snivy in the first BW ep. Yes, Pikachu lost, but Pikachu had been severely weakened and was unable to use most of its attacks. However, people always miss that part.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
What's worse, GAF: Nintendo's hard-on for Charizard, or Squares Hard-on for Lightning?

Both are equally disgusting and played the fuck out I can tell you that god damn much.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What's worse, GAF: Nintendo's hard-on for Charizard, or Squares Hard-on for Lightning?

Both are equally disgusting and played the fuck out I can tell you that god damn much.

You're just mad that my man Charizard is finally getting the respect he deserves.

Boss Doggie

its. a. surskit.

And a hardcore Magikarp once defeated Pikachu. Moot point.

You are becoming a troll at this point.

Also I noticed people saying this never even watched the episode.

GF, but yeah it's annoying.

And people say they lap on Lucario :p

And a hardcore Magikarp once defeated Pikachu. Moot point.

You are becoming a troll at this point.

Also I noticed people saying this never even watched the episode.

that would be because i was in fact trolling you.

to be somewhat serious for a moment the main issue is that it destroys all sense of progression when previously you just saw the thing face down a Latios. Like I said before for a franchise based on progression the worst thing it can do is to be stuck in this weird limbo.(and for over a decade at that)

and bringing up magikarp only proves the point more on how Pokemon is such a terrible series, lmao

Toxi

Banned

People actually like Charizard though. Pokemon fans brought this on themselves.

JoeM86

to be somewhat serious for a moment the main issue is that it destroys all sense of progression when previously you just saw the thing face down a Latios. Like I said before for a franchise based on progression the worst thing it can do is to be stuck in this weird limbo.(and for over a decade at that)

and bringing up magikarp only proves the point more on how Pokemon is such a terrible series, lmao

Bringing up the Magikarp is actually bringing the point to the table. The Pokémon anime is not the games. Species are mostly irrelevant. Levels don't exist. It's all about strategy and training.

Darryl

Banned
I want more variety in Pokemon animes a lot but this doesn't look very good. Just not a big fan of the concept mega-evolution stuff at all. It's fine in-game, though.

His Pikachu lost to a Surskit. You making up excuses for it and going "the anime has always pulled this stuff" isn't really making the scenario look better or changing my view on it. I know the anime has always done this, and yknow what, it's always been a terrible show.

Yep. It frustrates me too. People never look at actual context and just think of things in game terms

"Oh, Pikachu must be level 5634564354897895656 by now while Surskit is Level 12. Pikachu should have OHKO'd it"

Typically, people do this based solely upon second hand data. All they see is loss. It's the same with Pikachu VS Snivy in the first BW ep. Yes, Pikachu lost, but Pikachu had been severely weakened and was unable to use most of its attacks. However, people always miss that part.
I saw the episode last Saturday. I have context. It was a terrible battle in context. You keep bringing up level but no one has mentioned it. People are bringing up experience, and guess what? Pikachu has a lot of experience in battle. Hundreds and hundreds of episodes of battles. But hey go back to the dumb level argument and game mechanics. Yknow the same game mecahnics the anime picks and chooses on whim to say is valid or not. I know you're the big shot Pokemon webmaster but you don't have to defend everything this franchise does.

I love how the go to defense for this is "You didn't even watch it!" "It's a kid show!" "The anime has always been like this!"

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah the anime is bad, it's a guilty pleasure of mine and XY is enjoyable, it's just that I hate bad arguments.

Like I said, the Surskrit did something nothing in the anime has done before (using terrain to its advantage and being broken as hell). It's something that I can accept since it was presented well. It's not some bullshit like in Unova's finals.

His Pikachu lost to a Surskit. You making up excuses for it and going "the anime has always pulled this stuff" isn't really making the scenario look better or changing my view on it. I know the anime has always done this, and yknow what, it's always been a terrible show.

I saw the episode last Saturday. I have context. It was a terrible battle in context. You keep bringing up level but no one has mentioned it. People are bringing up experience, and guess what? Pikachu has a lot of experience in battle. Hundreds and hundreds of episodes of battles. But hey go back to the dumb level argument and game mechanics. Yknow the same game mecahnics the anime picks and chooses on whim to say is valid or not. I know you're the big shot Pokemon webmaster but you don't have to defend everything this franchise does.

I love how the go to defense for this is "You didn't even watch it!" "It's a kid show!" "The anime has always been like this!"

If you watched it then you'd know how valid the fight was. Ash was expecting an easy battle because it was a first gym badge. Viola knows her shit and her Surskrit did stuff that you wouldn't expect at all, it caught Pikachu off guard (it is the first time someone used terrain in a battle). After training and knowing what to do Pikachu owned the Surskrit. Pikachu is still skilled in this anime and didn't "reset" his skill. The anime deviates from the game thus it could do stuff like that.

It's a terrible show (that's why I feel bad for defending it) although XY is shaping up to be better, but I hate arguments that feel like it doesn't resonate with the events.

If you watched it then you'd know how valid the fight was. Ash was expecting an easy battle because it was a first gym badge. Viola knows her shit and her Surskrit did stuff that you wouldn't expect at all, it caught Pikachu off guard (it is the first time someone used terrain in a battle). After training and knowing what to do Pikachu owned the Surskrit. Pikachu is still skilled in this anime and didn't "reset" his skill. The anime deviates from the game thus it could do stuff like that.

It's a terrible show (that's why I feel bad for defending it) although XY is shaping up to be better, but I hate arguments that feel like it doesn't resonate with the events.
i.e. stuff that isn't possible

It's not the first time pokemon have used terrain in a battle. It's just egregious since it shouldn't have been an issue. A surskit shouldn't be able to move that fast on ice and Pikachu doesnt need to move to zap a moving target.

The anime being different from the games doesn't give it carte blanche to make up bullshit. This is the kind of defense for crap like thunder Armour.

Boss Doggie

I hope people won't say about GF forcing Lucario when this exists!

i.e. stuff that isn't possible

It's not the first time pokemon have used terrain in a battle. It's just egregious since it shouldn't have been an issue. A surskit shouldn't be able to move that fast on ice and Pikachu doesnt need to move to zap a moving target.

The anime being different from the games doesn't give it carte blanche to make up bullshit. This is the kind of defense for cap like thunder Armour.

Bullshit is fine as long as it's implemented with a way that is believable. It is a terrible show after all so you shouldn't expect much, but at least it tries to be workable.

It probably isn't the first, but this is one of those fights that heavily features that. Yes it is impossible that a Surskrit can do such bullshit, but you know what, if it makes a good gym battle that is not shit like "muh sprinklers", I'm all for it. Pikachu moving makes sense, since his target is moving and he can't hit it fast enough.

I mean, you know me, I watched various Digimon and TMNT 2003 and I don't think Pokemon anime is on the same line as those shows, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine and seeing it be not boring and be eye-catching is at least trying.

As for the special - eh... will probably watch but not expecting much, the premise is uninteresting and the hero looks bland.

MAtgS

Trust me, I've been raging on the inside. But Misty fans on virtually non-existent nowadays & there isn't a proper way to vent without coming off as a hopeless fanboy. Considering in B2W2 Misty said she quit the gym to start her own journey I wished the anime would follow through on that. Maybe make her a new rival of Ash, but it seems so very unlikely now.

Also, I think by now most fans are just glad the show is making a big deal out of any sort of shipping, regardless of who the girl is.

That and Tracey is apparently dating Misty.
I thought they were setting him up with 1 of her sisters.

No one ever appears to criticize the manga for Pryce being to wreck everyone's shit with a Swinub, among other examples of NFE mons beating everyone else.

Like Guile Hideout's Surskit.

Dryk

He did the whole training before a gym match thing in Advanced against Roxanne to get Iron Tail and he lost with a type advantage in Sinnoh with Roark. Anime writers sure have some fresh ideas.
I always thought that that was a cool idea. It's a pity the way it played out (Used Iron Tail against Nosepass after defeating a Geodude with electric attacks).

Viola knows her shit and her Surskrit did stuff that you wouldn't expect at all, it caught Pikachu off guard (it is the first time someone used terrain in a battle). After training and knowing what to do Pikachu owned the Surskrit. Pikachu is still skilled in this anime and didn't "reset" his skill. The anime deviates from the game thus it could do stuff like that.

That's bullshit. This same battle happened 728 episodes ago except the roles were reversed.

Cybersai

Banned
Honestly Serena isn't that good so far. May was probably the best of all the main girls to come into the anime after Johto, but Dawn was good too.

It's odd how the female leads went downhill again in recent years. Guess we didn't realize how good we had it with May, Dawn and the Contest episodes.

harmonize

That was dumbAsh tho
He's never been anything but dumbAsh.

Honestly Serena isn't that good so far. May was probably the best of all the main girls to come into the anime after Johto, but Dawn was good too.

It's odd how the female leads went downhill again in recent years. Guess we didn't realize how good we had it with May, Dawn and the Contest episodes.
geez cyber you really need to move on from 2002, contests were garbage and May is never coming back

Top Bottom