• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Anime "Mini-Series": Strongest Mega Evolution

Keyouta

I would just like a new series that can run along the current show with Ash.

The new one would be built more like the manga, and be targeted at an older audience. I am interested to see how many viewers that would get and whether it would be popular, if a show more aimed towards teenagers could get viewers on par with the children's show, or maybe even surpass it.

Edit: Kind of on-topic, I hope all the starters get Megas, probably in 7th gen. It's a little unfair that Blaziken gets one while no other starter outside of Gen 1 got one. And Blaziken was already a very good Pokemon competitively.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wait a second, Ash hasn't won a single league yet? What has he been doing all this time?

It's been 17 years. He should really consider a career change.

You need to remember that the anime isn't the games. There are no levels and things aren't as cut & dry as people make out it should be. It was about to beat Bunnelby, anyway, until Team Rocket interrupted.

That has no relevance on whether or not it has a new writing team.

Of course it does. Until they do something fundamentally different than the bullshit the others did for a decade, them being new means jack shit to me.

Brickhunt

Of course it does. Until they do something fundamentally different than the bullshit the others did for a decade, them being new means jack shit to me.
I agree. Who cares if the writing is improved by the new blood if in the end, the result will be Ash losing at the league again and starting over again at whole another region? Who cares about Gym battles? Ash is always going to win a badge soon or later. I still get hooked up in league arcs because of the small possibilit of Ash winning.

I'll give them a merit. League arcs are better because you can't really apply the cliches of other shonen. Sinnoh league was incredible because Ash was an absolute powerhouse on it and had actual chances of winning, but the threat of his defeat still lurked around. That said, I think league battles peaked at Sinnoh, and the only way writers can top it is making Ash reach a final round. The downgrade to Top 8 at Unova was the very definition of frustrating writing.

The only way I can look forward to the anime against is if I get news that they are ending Ash's story and switching protagonists. if that happens, I would definitively watch it for the sake on getting closure on one of my childhood's favorite shows.

I feel like your grandfather when he walked in on you watching anime for the first time.

The designs are bad and you should feel bad!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"The Special focuses on a new character, Alan, a Mega Evolution trainer with Charizard"

Stopped reading at Charizard ~_~

The fandom an thus TPC are never gonna let go an move on huh?

Toxi

Banned
I am just happy the big three all got megas. If gen 1 got more, i'd like Raichu, Arcanine and Dragonite. I wish Pokemon fans weren't such big haters of their own series.
That's terrifying.

Why do people want Ash to win so badly. It's like no.1 of my pet peeves is when you can tell that the mc is going to win anyway.
Because him losing is just a ploy to extend the length of the show?

Why the dumpy Bieber shorts, tho?

I'm gonna guess that we are going to see Mega Lati@s in this series

Plot twist: after losing to that Darkrai gijinka that was godmodding in the last League with legendary spamming, Ash loses out on his chance again... to Mega Lati@s.

If you had creative control over the series and had to choose a mega for it to star instead of Mega Charizard X, which would you choose?

Mega Rotom. It consolidates all of its machine forms into a combining, fighting robot.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Because him losing is just a ploy to extend the length of the show?
Couldn't they continue the show even if he did win? New protag? Or even keep him and send him off to even tough opponents ala DBZ and its ilk? Winning in one place don't mean he can't have interesting adventures in another especially since he always reboots his team!

Cybersai

Banned
Yet another pokemon anime thread on Neogaf, and yet again people ask the same nonsense over and over:

- Why hasn't Ash won a league?

- Why doesn't Ash evolve his Pokemon?

- Where is Misty?

Seriously you people need to move on from 1998.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If only people could do that~

But because they can't we get yet another Mewtwo movies, more Charizard wanking, eternal pining for worst girl, and even the newest games bringing back the Red/Blue coloring motif ~_~

From what I've heard, the manga is actually what Satoshi originally wanted the anime to be like, but the big bosses loved money too much, so Satoshis vision had to fulfilled in the mangas instead.

Yes, the point of a business is to make money.

even the newest games bringing back the Red/Blue coloring motif ~_~

Every game has had a red and blue motiff except Gold & Silver.
Black and White count because Zekrom's blue thunder VS Reshiram's red flames.

Toxi

Banned
If only people could do that~

But because they can't we get yet another Mewtwo movies, more Charizard wanking, eternal pining for worst girl, and even the newest games bringing back the Red/Blue coloring motif ~_~
Don't forget another Snorlax blocking the path, another free Lapras, another Farfetch'd trade, Kanto starters in addition to the Kalos starters, Kanto legendaries in addition to the Kalos legendaries...
Misty has settled for Tracey.
Wow.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
in the XY anime they have Serena crushing on Ash.
Like that'll go anywhere lol. Ash'll forever be in "dorp girls? is that a new pokemon?" mode.

Every game has had a red and blue motiff except Gold & Silver.
Black and White count because Zekrom's blue thunder VS Reshiram's red flames.
Diamond/Pearl? Equating pink to red would reeeeallly be stretching it. I never played those so maybe theres something I'm missing?

I dun buy the B/W thing either. The logos are not blue/red nor are those colors shown on their respective legendary pkmn on the boxarts! Its clearly not meant ta be a pandering oh gawd the nostalgia sales grab.

Don't forget another Snorlax blocking the path, another free Lapras, another Farfetch'd trade, Kanto starters in addition to the Kalos starters, Kanto legendaries in addition to the Kalos legendaries...

Wow.
Wow for reals! I didn't even know about that stuff! Instead of buying these new games it sounds like I should just replay B/R/Y/Fr/Lg!

Toxi

Banned
I dun buy the B/W thing either. The logos are not blue/red nor are those colors shown on their respective legendary pkmn on the boxarts!
Zekrom and Rehiram glow blue and red respectively in their battle animations.

It's more obvious with Black 2 and White 2 and the fused Kyurem forms.
Pokemon-Black-2-and-Pokemon-White-2.jpg

fates

Real talk, what's so bad about making nods to the original games? IMO, Pokemon is one of the few franchises that manages to keep the original formula but manage to feel fresh each generation. I don't think they need to ignore the past to move forward.

Mr-Joker

Banned

You know what really takes the cake? Santalune Forest layout is similar to Viridian Forest.

I hated the gen 1 pandering that X and Y had since it was meant to be gen 6 not another ducking gen 1 remake.

Azure J

I am just happy the big three all got megas. If gen 1 got more, i'd like Raichu, Arcanine and Dragonite. I wish Pokemon fans weren't such big haters of their own series.

This list is perfect and I'll seriously be upset if Arcanine and Dragonite don't get some love in the future.

Come to think of it, what would Arcanine in particular need to be better with a mega? New typing? Ability?

Diamond/Pearl? Equating pink to red would reeeeallly be stretching it. I never played those so maybe theres something I'm missing?

Yeah, pink isn't a color close to red at all. *rolls eyes* They very clearly were going for a reference to the aesthetic of Red & Blue. I mean, if it was Green & Purple, maybe.

Toxi

Banned
Real talk, what's so bad about making nods to the original games? IMO, Pokemon is one of the few franchises that manages to keep the original formula but manage to feel fresh each generation. I don't think they need to ignore the past to move forward.
People don't like it for two reasons: Gen 1 gets the vast majority of callbacks and references, and the nods to old stuff tend to detract from the new stuff. Why give a shit about your Kalos starter when you get a Kanto starter that can mega evolve into an overpowered monster?

There have always been nostalgia nods in the series, but in X and Y they got excessive.

(A lot of things were excessive for X and Y. Lucario and Blaziken are popular? Milk 'em!)

You know what really takes the cake? Santalune Forest layout is similar to Viridian Forest.

I hated the gen 1 pandering that X and Y had since it was meant to be gen 6 not another ducking gen 1 remake.
And of course Santalune Forest has Caterpie, Weedle, and Pikachu.
300px-Santalune_Forest_XY.png
300px-Pokemon_RBY_ViridianForest.png

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Zekrom and Rehiram glow blue and red respectively in their battle animations.

It's more obvious with Black 2 and White 2 and the fused Kyurem forms.
Pokemon-Black-2-and-Pokemon-White-2.jpg
JP Boxarts! And sequels not the original B/W! I can kinda see it but then again not so much. Maybe if the black legendary was a water type or spouted water out its whatevers that'd be a dead giveaway. If it is intentional nodding/pandering its muchmuch less blatant then all the rest!

Cause in the latest games its apparently much more then just nods! Usually the games would have some random npc referencing a past region but X/Y go full blown Kanto lovefest.

GameFreak ripped off their own dungeon x.x?

Yeah, pink isn't a color close to red at all. *rolls eyes* They very clearly were going for a reference to the aesthetic of Red & Blue. I mean, if it was Green & Purple, maybe.
Pink is close to Red an I'm not saying otherwise but its more distinctly different then Diamond's Blue to Blue's Blue!

Ash gets unfairly blamed for the screw ups by the politics behind the anime. He should had won the Sinnoh league and got, at least, to fight the Elite 4. That Darkrai trainer was pure bullshit

The anime, in it's current has already far exceed it's welcome. Even if he didn't become a Pokémon Master, Ash should had won a regional competition and become a side-character for a new protagonist to take his place.

The Pokémon anime is a case of a show that has too many episodes for it's own good, and deserves a resolution already.

More bullshit given that Heracross is an amazing counter to Darkrai and if it had lived one hit from Latios, could've OHKO'd him too.

I mean, that just annoys me. ASH IS USING ONE OF HIS POWERHOUSES AND THE BEST DARKRAI COUNTER YOU CAN GET, BUT LOL NO, WE CANT LET HIM WIN

I use Mega Venusaur. He's not flashy and has a muted design compared to the crazier mega evos, but nullifying two major weaknesses is a big plus.

Mega Venusaur is so fucking good. So much more bulky than people EVER expect, and my favorite defensive bulky MEvo. Agrron and MAwile close behind as well

Your maths is wrong it can't have been 17 years Ash is still 10 years old.

Pretty sure he went to Unova to celebrate his birthday lol

You know what would actually be cool. A regular anime, but set in a place like Orre, Almia, etc.

No, Ash and Misty forever <3 <3 <3

Not fucking with you here, but Serena x Ash, although maybe not Ash x Serena, is canon

XY has been decent so far.

But FUCK gen 1 pandering. They went to far with this one. I know X/Y was supposed to be a revolution ad bring back all the genwunners, but fuck that. I want every other starter to have the same treatment, more non-Kanto's to get MEvos, a proper forest, hell even a Slaking blocking the road would be better

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wait a minute

Kanto
Kalos

I bet their first urge was to call is Kalso but one of the craftier GF staff members went "no thats to obvious! lets to do much more subtle things like reskin a kanto forest ripe with the same pokemon inside, make the legendaries blue/red, and so on~"

CorvoSol

That's terrifying.

? Oh, because it'd be Dragoniteite? Haha, didn't think about that. But I just want them to fix his design so he still looks awesome like Dratini and Dragonair. I never liked how Dragonite looked compared to them.

This list is perfect and I'll seriously be upset if Arcanine and Dragonite don't get some love in the future.

Come to think of it, what would Arcanine in particular need to be better with a mega? New typing? Ability?

Arcanine just needs a secondary type. Being pure fire sorta holds anyone back these days.

RK128

Really surprised how solid the X/Y anime is; it has a interesting cast of new characters (the science kid and his sister are really enjoyable characters), Ash FINALLY using skill with is battles (the first gyms two-part episode was really enjoyably to watch; Ash uses two Pokemon with the type advantage and we even see him train before the match too), and the new girl not only knowing Ash before the original series (an interesting thing by itself) but her liking Ash to brings an interesting dynamic to the group (I would have thought the writers would have done this with the Gen 3/Gen 4 Anime...). I'm just very impressed how they are doing a good job with the anime again after the series loosing my interesting after Gen 2 (though Gen 5 Anime was okay in parts).

As for this new anime, its always nice to have a new character outside of Ash be the star (seriously, Ash is STILL 10 after 17 years...its just, odd) and to focus on the mega evolution aspect of the latest Gen is quite interesting.

As for the the X and Y game having too much fan service, while I can't really comment on that (don't own a 3ds), I guess since X/Y is the very first true 3d Pokemon game (Coliseum and XD count too, but they aren't main-line tittles, just console spin offs), Game Freak felt like they could take it easy with the new Pokemon and world layouts and since the original Pokemon is so ionic to games and casual fans alike, they more or less felt that with the first handheld 3d Pokemon, they would use ALOT of things that made Gen 1 great. I don't know if that negatively effects the game in any way but Pokemon Black was wonderful (I fully leveled my Pokemon and caught most of the Pokemon original to that region).

DedValve

Banned
Yet another pokemon anime thread on Neogaf, and yet again people ask the same nonsense over and over:

- Why hasn't Ash won a league?

- Why doesn't Ash evolve his Pokemon?

- Where is Misty?

To be fair the anime hasn't moved on either.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This is the only place where people whine about XY anime, which is pretty much a godsend. Probably watching dubs tho, so that's probably why it gave bad image :p

Then there are people who think Ash is his Original/Unova self when that's not the case. He's pretty good in XY (a nice continuation from the Sinnoh arc). People whine about the League, which agreed is terrible since he's bound to lose, but that's more to do with the writers not wanting Ash to end than anything else. His journey, at least on the good seasons, have been good.

Also I hate Alan - he looks too edgy

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair the anime hasn't moved on either.

And some people haven't moved on from the anime after all that time and that's not a dig at maturity rather than one at the extremely formulaic structure of each episode.

Cybersai

Banned
To be honest the XY anime isn't THAT great, it only feels that way since its following Best Wishes which was the anime's second worst arc, just barely above Johto.

The first 20 episodes of the AG and DP arcs were much better, especially in terms of female companion. Serena largely feels like a less interesting or more laid-back version of May and Dawn, which is a shame because the writers have shown they can actually develop female companions in the show.

Top Bottom