• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY 15 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing (10.00 AM JST / 08.00 PM EST)

AniHawk

I'd really like to know more beforehand, but

It would be a really cool moment.

as long as they have the coked out announcer from the wizard, i'm game.

i would also be satisfied with a coked out kevin pereira.

actually as long as someone's coked out, i'm pretty okay.

jahasaja

What did people expect? Has Nintendo ever revealed anything of note during these briefings.

It would be quite anticlimactic if they spoke about the NX using the slides.

Or during the Q&A "funny you should ask about the NX I acctually have one here in my pocket".

Nanashrew

Banned
What did people expect? Has Nintendo ever revealed anything of note during these briefings.

It would be quite anticlimactic if they spoke about the NX using the slides.

Or during the Q&A "funny you should ask about the NX I acctually have one here in my pocket".

I never expected NX news during it. I fully expected more information on My Nintendo since it has an actual date planned for its rollout.

TLZ

Banned
Just as I suspected. They meant next fiscal year which starts April 1st. We will likely here about it then and get an official press event in May like the Xbox one.

What a date. And we'll get avalanched with fake NX april fools news mixed with real news and be lost in the process.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The My Nintendo news are interesting, the whole thing sounds really good. I think the 100 million Nintendo Accounts won't happen as fast as they hope, but who knows, maybe it's just my skewed perception about miitomo.

As for the overall presentation it seems to me to be a very weak presentation even for the investors, it kind of lacks major info on income sources and commitment. Maybe the Q&A will be more interesting, baring the stupid question that will take have of the time.

Edit: one strange thing that I noticed is how the pre-registrations for Miitomo start in mid February while the Nintendo Account rolls out globally in March. Talking about (not) thinking globally rather the locally for the future.

Hermii

So it's actually confirmed qol is coming out in April? At least that's something. I get to sleep with Nintendo.

So it's actually confirmed qol is coming out in April? At least that's something. I get to sleep with Nintendo.

BUT WHAT IS IT...the wanted to launch it in March but postponed it to April...yet we know nothing oter than "Quality of Life"...Wii Heart Rate Sensor reloaded?

BUT WHAT IS IT...the wanted to launch it in March but postponed it to April...yet we know nothing oter than "Quality of Life"...Wii Heart Rate Sensor reloaded?

Could be a Fit Bit type device that interacts with some games. Fit Bits track heart rate, sleeping habits, and of course your steps. Nintendo may be coming out with a similar device.

Banned
So the new countdown for NX news is to wait until April. Great
Back in March when Iwata said they'd talk about NX next year, there were three groups of people

1) he means January 1st, 2016. It has to be January 2016.
2) he means next fiscal year which starts in April 2016.
3) He means E3.

I was hoping for option 1, believed in option 2 being the most likely, and 3 being my worst nightmare.

TheJoRu

So pre-registrations for Miitomo starts February 17th. This should also be the date Nintendo Account becomes available in those 16 countries (and globally to all others in March), seeing as such an account is required for registration, and they state that pre-registration is not only for Japan but for all 16 countries.

Let me go out of a limb here and say that this date is a prime candidate for a new Nintendo Direct, if they have one planned.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So pre-registrations for Miitomo starts February 17th. This should also be the date Nintendo Account becomes available in those 16 countries (and globally to all others in March), seeing as such an account is required for registration, and they state that pre-registration is not only for Japan but for all 16 countries.

Let me go out of a limb here and say that this date is a prime candidate for a new Nintendo Direct, if they have one planned.

But the global Nintendo Account launch is still stated for March, isn't it?
My guess for this is that Nintendo stays the same Japan-centric company as we know it. Japan can pre-register on February 17th, who cares about the other, they can wait a bit.

Banned
My guess for this is that Nintendo stays the same Japan-centric company as we know it. Japan can pre-register on February 17th, who cares about the other, they can wait a bit.
Nintendo needs to pull a Sony and headquarter in the US. Switch to Seattle. This Japanese echo chamber thinking is gonna sink them.

doesn't Japan already have Nintendo account? Yeah, I guess you're right.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Nintendo Account and My Nintendo aren't the same thing, don't forget.

TheJoRu

But the global Nintendo Account launch is stated for March.
My guess for this is that Nintendo stays the same Japan-centric company as we know it.

Yes, and the Miitomo pre-registration isn't global, so there's no inconsistency here. As I wrote in my post, you have to have a Nintendo Account to pre-register for Miitomo. So the countries who are part of the pre-registration gets it on February 17, and every other country that they operate in (which is what they mean by "global") gets it in March at the latest.

Edit: Oh wait, it's not even Nintendo Account that's coming in March, it's My Nintendo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo Account and My Nintendo aren't the same thing, don't forget.

I know, that's why I'm talking about Nintendo Account. :p

The official excuse for Miitomo delay to March was that Nintendo Account isn't ready until then. Of course it can happen that they are ready sooner than expected, but knowing Nintendo I think the safe bet is my interpretation.

spekkeh

Banned
Called it.

People are so thirsty, Nintendo is not going to spill the beans of their new console on an investor meeting.

Not that it was a particularly daring statement of course.

Yall thirsty people have to wait until E3.

I agree with some others, see them reveal it by having the finalists of NWC play one of the games like in the Wizard.

Mpl90

My Nintendo is slated for March, they didn't give a date for Nintendo Account outside of Japan. Since (seemingly) Miitomo's pre-registration is happening on February 17th and it's for all the countries where it releases first, and since it requires the Nintendo Account, I suppose this means Nintendo Account is coming in the next few days, if not right on Februarh 17th.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes, and the Miitomo pre-registration isn't global, so there's no inconsistency here. As I wrote in my post, you have to have a Nintendo Account to pre-register for Miitomo. So the countries who are part of the pre-registration gets it on February 17, and every other country that they operate in (which is what they mean by "global") gets it in March at the latest.

Wait, you are going further with this. No, only those 16 countries get Miitomo at launch in mid-march. Those aren't just for pre-registration, those are the region were the app will be available mid-March.

GamerJM

Banned
Somehow the idea of showing off the NX itself for the very first time at the NWC doesn't sit well with me. I mean, the idea of some big game being revealed there does, but the console itself?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did that, I just don't think they should.

Hermii

I doubt there will be an nwc this year. So far in the 2 year long history of Nintendo events at e3 there has been something different every time. So I think they will continue doing something different every year.

Mpl90

This investor briefing could be seen as a sort of reconfirmation of their current policy (or should I say obsession) to keep things under wraps before they deliver the message as they want. We've been hearing of much tighter NDAs than before, but the fact that we didn't even get liveblogs or tweets while the briefing was going on this time sounds really like a new policy to avoid misunderstandings and bad reports that then spread and deliver the wrong message. In the exact same way we're not hearing almost anything about NX aside from the major DQX/XI news and the WSJ article...and a bit of last week's rumours / news too. Still, a small fraction of all the leaks we would've already had in the past. That can't be a coincidence, it must be an overall policy change to deliver the message as understandable as possible.

deleted

Nice to see them posting news about My Nintendo, worrying to see them not having friends lists at the start - shouldn't this launch on Wii U and 3DS too? Either way, sounds like a system update that actually changes something again is upon us.

QoL delay sounds like they want the profits solely in their next FY?

No NX news? No surprise..

Hermii

This investor briefing could be seen as a sort of reconfirmation of their current policy (or should I say obsession) to keep things under wraps before they deliver the message as they want. We've been hearing of much tighter NDAs than before, but the fact that we didn't even get liveblogs or tweets while the briefing was going on this time sounds really like a new policy to avoid misunderstandings and bad reports that then spread and deliver the wrong message. In the exact same way we're not hearing almost anything about NX aside from the major DQX/XI news and the WSJ article...and a bit of last week's rumours / news too. Still, a small fraction of all the leaks we would've already had in the past. That can't be a coincidence, it must be an overall policy change to deliver the message as understandable as possible.
All of this make sense. Maybe they will even wait to release the Japanese q&a transcripts until the English ones are ready.

Top Bottom