• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY 15 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing (10.00 AM JST / 08.00 PM EST)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So software not being tied to hardware was announced for March with My Nintendo?

Not for 3ds and Wii U I think. It still seems that the purchases are linked to the NNID:

Note: To purchase online and download the software onto your Wii U or Nintendo 3DS system, your Nintendo Account must be linked with a Nintendo Network ID.

Roo

So reading the slides, it seems like physical game purchases won't grant you Gold points at all similar to what the Club Nintendo pamphlets inside each box did when the service was still running.

Instead, they'll take a Wii U DDP approach and only count digital purchases in order to gain gold points.

Not gonna lie, that sucks.

Banned
My Nintendo with digital rewards is kind of like an expanded digital deluxe promotion the Wii U had. That's what made me go digital. If I go physical for NX I can use the gold coins for dlc I guess. I don't like splitting my libraries between digital and physical.

So this is what I predict to happen with NX now:

-Will be revealed until E3
-Very vague and briefly
-Because the damn thing will launch until 2017
-Will not replace either Wii U or 3DS but rather become a new pillar.
-Wii U and 3DS will get a bunch of crappy spin-off games to survive this year until Zelda U and Pokémon Z launches.
-Retro shows it's new game: DKCR 3 for Wii U.
-Meltdowns everywhere.

All according to keikaku.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So reading the slides, it seems like physical game purchases won't grant you Gold points at all similar to what the Club Nintendo pamphlets inside each box did when the service was still running.

Instead, they'll take a Wii U DDP approach and only count digital purchases in order to gain gold points.

Not gonna lie, that sucks.

This is making me think that I might switch to digital-only for the next Nintendo systems. I was hoping they'd do something to support physical purchases, but I was thinking of moving towards digital in the future anyway.

My Nintendo with digital rewards is kind of like an expanded digital deluxe promotion the Wii U had. That's what made me go digital. If I go physical for NX I can use the gold coins for dlc I guess. I don't like splitting my libraries between digital and physical.

Same. I pick what form my collection will take at the beginning of a generation and then stick with that.

jariw

I don't think physical media support has been confirmed for NX.

E-phonk

Banned
So still no interesting Nintendo news? Gosh they are so bad at PR

If was a financial briefing, not a PR event.

They released following information:
- Updates sales and figures until Q3 2015 (dec)
- Launch of Miitomo and Nintendo Account in march
- Pre registration will be up from Feb 17th
- Joining the pre-registration will give rewards
- A new reward program will be installed giving incentives to use the mobile app and visit/buy from eshop
- They have 4 other mobile apps/games in development, that will be released in the next fiscal year.

Again, this is not a PR event. Nobody except stockholders, business newspapers and die hard nintendo enthousiast normally follow these kind of things

The English translation is up, along with translated slides:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160203/index.html

Thanks!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If was a financial briefing, not a PR event.

They released following information:
- Updates sales and figures until Q3 2015 (dec)
- Launch of Miitomo and Nintendo Account in march
- Pre registration will be up from Feb 17th
- Joining the pre-registration will give rewards
- A new reward program will be installed giving incentives to use the mobile app and visit/buy from eshop
- They have 4 other mobile apps/games in development, that will be released in the next fiscal year.

Again, this is not a PR event. Nobody except stockholders, business newspapers and die hard nintendo enthousiast normally follow these kind of things

Still, that doesn't mean that their PR is not bad.

jariw

It is impossible that the NX is a digital only platform, absolutely impossible.

It's only impossible if you view the NX as a replacement console to the Wii U or the 3DS, which Iwata said it is not. Anything is possible regarding the NX until the feature set is announced and confirmed.

beril

It's only impossible if you view the NX as a replacement console to the Wii U or the 3DS, which Iwata said it is not. Anything is possible regarding the NX until the feature set is announced and confirmed.

He never said that, and it very clearly is

sinxtanx

people just can't keep their expectations in check

"Durango wasn't revealed by february '13 so no way was the Xbone launched that year" are you fucking reading your own words

Well the graphs sure surprised me. Given the pricing of the amiibo cards are a total rip-off in Europe (they are literally twice as expensive as any other region) I would have expected lower demand and hence lower shipment for the cards in that region. Of course the long term might be more telling here because shipments/=/sales (though apparently assholes like GAME do succeed with charging £5 for 3 Animal Crossing cards...).

Now the DLC chart slide was interesting to see Pokemon Rumble World beat Streetpass Mii Plaza. I'd be more interested in a revenue one though though that would get confusing for SSB (how do you count 3DS+Wii U DLC bundles...if it the eShop the purchase was made on?)

What about the Q&A

D:
Which language?

Traditionally it has been Japanese first > Internet google translates into English and gets it wrong > Official English translation. Kind of makes a mockery of the whole no live tweeting Q&A due to misinformation if the delayed English Q&A remains a thing.

jariw

He never said that, and it very clearly is

He did:
Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be 'a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept,' it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple 'replacement' for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U

But I'll interpret your reply as a leaked confirmation of the opposite, since you're much more likely to have inside info on this.

sinxtanx

I'm certain Nintendo will do everything they can to get Yoshi onto the NX.

How do we know that? They didn't splurge on Yoshi merch info at the Q3FY15 briefing! Yoshi delayed until 2017!

U948yfZ.gif

He did:
Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be 'a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept,' it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple 'replacement' for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U

But I'll interpret your reply as a leaked confirmation of the opposite, since you're much more likely to have inside info on this.

Well Iwata said simple replacement, it's probably not that simple.

beril

He did:

The key word being 'simple'. As in it won't be a simple Wii U2 or 4DS.
I don't have any inside info, I wouldn't be posting in this thread if I did. But there's plenty of indications from Nintendo that it will be their next main platform and WiiU and 3DS are being left behind. like Tanabe at E3 regarding Metroid Prime:
If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX

Rodin

Nobody asked a question about NX? Really? We got something about MyNintendo, which is heavily connected to the NX, but... well, i guess it's better than nothing.

Anyway, that "simple" makes me think that Wii U and 3DS will stay on the market at least until the end of FY17.

Neff

The key word being 'simple'. As in it won't be a simple Wii U2 or 4DS.
I don't have any inside info, I wouldn't be posting in this thread if I did. But there's plenty of indications from Nintendo that it will be their next main platform and WiiU and 3DS are being left behind. like Tanabe at E3 regarding Metroid Prime:

It's their new system and they're obviously going to make games for it, and it's almost certainly being made with their development consolidation plans in mind, but they've repeatedly pressed the idea that it's not a replacement or successor for either of their current platforms.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/03/n...onsole-wont-be-a-new-version-of-wii-or-wii-u/

Kimishima also stresses that Wii U in particular will continue to be part of their schedule.

“What I want to do, I think our first job right now is to make sure that the customers, those 10 million customers who have a Wii U at home have software to play. And we need to make sure that they are satisfied with their purchase and continue to enjoy playing on this platform. So we can’t just abandon them and say ‘Hey, it’s time to move on to the next thing.'”

It's a bad financial briefing.

According to who? Random internet forum dwellers who Nintendo aren't targeting or addressing or give a shit about because the briefing isn't relevant to them in any way? Maybe when we start seeing their stockholders and board members tweeting "Shitty briefing" I'll agree

It's their new system and they're obviously going to make games for it, and it's almost certainly being made with their development consolidation plans in mind, but they've repeatedly pressed the idea that it's not a replacement or successor for either of their current platforms.

They've said that before when the DS came out.

Neff

They've said that before when the DS came out.

Indeed they did. And I don't blame them. And had the DS not taken off like it did, they'd have come out looking like they said the right thing.

What's important regarding the Wii U is that it more or less comprises the bulk of Nintendo's core market, and the console isn't even 4 years old yet, and most owners probably haven't even had one that long. They could dump it in order to focus on NX, but that would potentially entail several risks. Alienating their long-term audience in one fell swoop, at the behest of a new, unproven device, and ditching a piece of hardware which is -despite poor performance- still working for them, would be bad business in any situation.

3DS is entirely different as it's been on the shelf longer, and stretched much further outside of Nintendo's die-hard audience, so any kind of successor will probably be welcomed. In addition, my gut tells me that NX will be closer in terms of marketability to 3DS than to Wii U. But as always I'm open to being wrong.

So this is what I predict to happen with NX now:

-Will be revealed until E3
-Very vague and briefly
-Because the damn thing will launch until 2017
-Will not replace either Wii U or 3DS but rather become a new pillar.
-Wii U and 3DS will get a bunch of crappy spin-off games to survive this year until Zelda U and Pokémon Z launches.
-Retro shows it's new game: DKCR 3 for Wii U.
-Meltdowns everywhere.

Expect meltdowns on several levels, especially after the next Zelda delay. Because that game ain't coming out before the NX is here, especially with someone from financials leading Nintendo now. So you better all hope for NX 2016.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/03/n...onsole-wont-be-a-new-version-of-wii-or-wii-u/

Kimishima also stresses that Wii U in particular will continue to be part of their schedule.

Don't be so naive. 3DS and Wii U will be a goner after NX marketing gets going. That's just standard PR to not scare their current platforms' userbase too early (which they always had and never fullfilled). Their lineups already look abandonded at this point, so by next year they'll be non-existent.

emb

It is impossible that the NX is a digital only platform, absolutely impossible.
I think it's less impossible than we think.

Nintendo seems to be willing to take risks and do things for the sake of being different. It seems like digital only could be the kind of ham-fisted cost cutting, 'forward thinking' sorts of things Nintendo might do.

Would be the first Nintendo console that I wouldn't buy, and it'd make me really sad. :(

Top Bottom