• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Jomjom

Banned
Not surprised at all that the 360 version of Portal outsold the PS3 version. Called it as soon as the extra steam copy was announced exclusively for the PS3. At this point, no amount of exclusive content will make the PS3 version of a multiplat game outsell the 360 version, short of the 360 version being completely unplayable. Even if that were to happen I think the 360 version would still outsell, you would just get a lot of returns.

If black is in the top ten white has to be in the top ten

and just dance two has to be in the top 10.

I don't think the gamasutra thing could be right at this point.

Frillen

DMeisterJ said:
So SOCOM is in top 10 on an individual basis, and if the Full Deployment Bundle is included it'd make top 10 combined SKUs? I guess that's good for Zipper, but it sends them the wrong message. Releasing unfinished games shouldn't be rewarded like that. :/

Just because it's in the top 10 doesn't make it impressive. Outside of Portal 2 and MK, there was almost nothing in April.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Given the seven, the top 10 would be something like

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Portal 2 (PS3)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

(no particular order)
That sounds about right

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
bigtroyjon said:
If black is in the top ten white has to be in the top ten

and just dance two has to be in the top 10.

I don't think the gamasutra thing could be right at this point.

Microsoft probably provided the list of 360 titles in the top 10. Microsoft usually omits handhelds (the 2 pokemon games).

So not all of those 5 are probably in a top 10 including handhelds.

antonz

Marius_ said:

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Portal 2 (PS3)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

(no particular order)
That sounds about right
No because we already know Just Dance 2 is in the top 10

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jling84 said:
Not surprised at all that the 360 version of Portal outsold the PS3 version. Called it as soon as the extra steam copy was announced exclusively for the PS3. At this point, no amount of exclusive content will make the PS3 version of a multiplat game outsell the 360 version, short of the 360 version being completely unplayable. Even if that were to happen I think the 360 version would still outsell, you would just get a lot of returns.

It's happened before, it all depends on the type of game.

Cheech

The NPD's descent into irrelevancy continues. Either they figure out how to count DD sales, or they are simply delivering erroneous data to customers.

I know at least a dozen people who bought Portal 2, and every single one of them bought it off Steam. The NPD number/rank for that game is complete nonsense.

Also, I haven't been into a Gamestop in a couple weeks, but I can't imagine the monumental pile of SOCOM 4s in the used rack. Especially now that I know it sold over my expectations!

Marius_ said:

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Portal 2 (PS3)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

(no particular order)
That sounds about right

Missing Just Dance 2. I think SOCOM 4 doesn't chart in top 10 UNLESS you count the accessory bundle.

jling84 said:
lol, than what about MK9? Looks like the PS3 version sold more.

Mortal-Kombat.jpg

Kusagari

Steamworks wasn't exclusive content anyone besides people on GAF cared about. Stuff like The Joker content in Arkham Asylum and Kratos in MK is the bonus content that has enabled PS3 versions to outsell 360 ones.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
antonz said:
No because we already know Just Dance 2 is in the top 10

ok then

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Just Dance
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

*got rid of portal 2 (PS3)
or it should replace Socom 4

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
CadetMahoney said:
they must be new since that was debunked 2 NPD's ago/
Nothing was debunked. The only thing so far that contradicts it is MvC which listed 360 > PS3, but media said PS3 > 360. JVM (I think?) guessed that this was probably down to special editions as they were almost 50/50.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Frillen said:
Just because it's in the top 10 doesn't make it impressive. Outside of Portal 2 and MK, there was almost nothing in April.

I'm not sure where I said it was impressive... o_O

I'm saying that it even making the top 10 shouldn't have happened given the state in which the game launched.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Marius_ said:
ok then

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Just Dance
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

Has it been confirmed that Xbox Portal 2 sold more than PS3 Portal 2? Because that would be very surprising to me.

UberTag

Kagari said:
It's happened before, it all depends on the type of game.
Yep. A couple titles that achieved this would be Final Fantasy XIII and Dante's Inferno.
Both outsold their X360 counterparts during launch month.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DrForester said:
Has it been confirmed that Xbox Portal 2 sold more than PS3 Portal 2? Because that would be very surprising to me.

Why? Orange Box sold way better on 360 than PS3.

LOCK

Gamasutra has to be wrong.

Just Dance 2 and Pokemon White and Black along with Socom 4 are in the top 10.

Probably something like this:

1. MK PS3
2. MK 360
3. Portal 2 360
4. Portal 2 PS3
5. Just Dance 2 Wii
6. ? COD 360? or TWPGA2012 360? or Lego Star Wars Wii
7. Pokemon White DS
8. Michael Jackson 360
9. Pokemon Black DS
10. Socom 4 PS3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DrForester said:
That's where Valve built their audience over their past three games, so it shouldn't be that surprising.

antonz

LOCK said:
Gamasutra has to be wrong.

Just Dance 2 and Pokemon White and Black along with Socom 4 are in the top 10.

Probably something like this:

1. MK PS3
2. MK 360
3. Portal 2 360
4. Portal 2 PS3
5. Just Dance 2 Wii
6. ? COD 360? or TWPGA2012 360? or Lego Star Wars Wii
7. Pokemon White DS
8. Michael Jackson 360
9. Pokemon Black DS
10. Socom 4 PS3
SOCOM is only in the top 10 if you add the bundles to it.

Kusagari said:
Steamworks wasn't exclusive content anyone besides people on GAF cared about. Stuff like The Joker content in Arkham Asylum and Kratos in MK is the bonus content that has enabled PS3 versions to outsell 360 ones.

As far as Steamworks goes, you're right.

But buying the PS3 version to activate the Steam one and then trading in the PS3 copy for a healthy return makes a lot of sense in these hard economic times.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DrForester said:
I figured with the whole free PC copy and push for steam on PS3 it would have been a shoe in to be the top platform.

Casuals didn't even know about that feature.

bigtroyjon said:
Again, you got a link for this?
i'm not going to try and search non-rare words in large threads. . . you are free to believe the positioning of the names is a steadfast indicator of platform sales. Doesn't make a difference to me.

Kusagari

Dr. Zoidberg said:

But buying the PS3 version to activate the Steam one and then trading in the PS3 copy for a healthy return makes a lot of sense in these hard economic times.

Yeah, but how many of the 360 buyers do you think actually use Steam?

Road

allan-bh said:
Nintendo remains in silence...
It has been the Nintendo stance since NPD decided to raise the BS level: if there's nothing good to say, they say nothing at all.

Microsoft said:
Xbox 360 continues to carry the momentum in U.S. sales as NPD's data now shows that Microsoft's console was once again the top selling console for the month of April, with a total of 297,000 units sold - representing growth of 60% year-over-year. Microsoft pointed out that it's also "been the top selling console in the United States for 10 out of the last 11 months and is the best selling console in 2011."
Damn, didn't know 360 was going THAT well in the U.S this year.

UberTag

allan-bh said:
I have a feeling that 3DS sales are very bad.
We know the NDS outsold it as per Anita Frazier.
AceBandage implied he knew that 3DS > PSP but then that's a common sense conclusion.

I have a feeling the software numbers are very unpleasant, though. Clearly the Nintendogs fad has passed in North America. (Japan still loves their puppies.)

1-D_FTW

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Assuming you were quick. There was what? A one day window before PSN closed for business?

Kagari said:
Casuals didn't even know about that feature.

Are the casuals the main ones buying Portal 2? They bought MK this month.

Kusagari said:
Yeah, but how many of the 360 buyers do you think actually use Steam?

Probably very few because it made no sense to buy the 360 version of the game if they did use Steam.

1-D_FTW said:
Assuming you were quick. There was what? A one day window before PSN closed for business?

If you were after the deal you wouldn't pick up the 360 version instead, you'd just buy the game on Steam.

LOCK

Marius_ said:
ok then

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Just Dance
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

Building on what you have:

-Mortal Kombat (PS3)
-Mortal Kombat(360)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Portal 2 (PS3)
-Just Dance 2 (Wii)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)

Top Bottom