• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

bbjvc

Member
Aug 18, 2010
110
0
0
BroHuffman said:
Close considering how far apart they have been for past NPDs + the PSN deal.

But yeah, not that close.
I would think the PSN deal will do most its impact on May
 

Bigfoot

Member
Jun 7, 2004
3,075
0
1,305
Edmonton
Marius_ said:
Given the seven, the top 10 would be something like

-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Mortal Kombat(PS3)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Portal 2 (PS3)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)

(no particular order)
That sounds about right
I think given what we know, this is the Top 10 individual:

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Mortal Kombat (360)
3) Portal 2 (360)
4) Portal 2 (PS3)
5) Crysis 2 (360)
6) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
7) Just Dance 2 (Wii)
8) Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
9) Pokemon White (NDS)
10) Pokemon Black (NDS)

The order may not be correct except for #1 and #10. I wouldn't expect anything to move more than 1 or 2 spots from what I have above.

Also, If bundles are counted, SOCOM 4 (PS3) would be inserted somewhere and shift everything down.
 

RustyNails

Member
Aug 31, 2009
47,617
0
805
Congrats to NetherRealm studios on their success. This proves that Mortal Kombat is still a brand to reckon with. Bring on MK2!
 

infinityBCRT

Member
Jun 2, 2008
8,304
0
815
Porthos said:
I think given what we know, this is the Top 10 individual:

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Mortal Kombat (360)
3) Portal 2 (360)
4) Portal 2 (PS3)
5) Crysis 2 (360)
6) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
7) Just Dance 2 (Wii)
8) Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
9) Pokemon White (NDS)
10) Pokemon Black (NDS)

The order may not be correct except for #1 and #10. I wouldn't expect anything to move more than 1 or 2 spots from what I have above.

Also, If bundles are counted, SOCOM 4 (PS3) would be inserted somewhere and shift everything down.
If Amazon is any sort of accurate indicator I think the top 4 may actually be..

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Portal 2 (360)
3) Portal 2 (PS3)
4) Mortal Kombat (360)
 

goldenpp72

Member
Nov 29, 2005
14,252
252
1,445
lowrider007 said:
ugh, how?
I dunno.. I bought it on 360 and i'm sure those who did are enjoying playing it online. I don't think the ps3 steam thing is that big a deal to the average joe.
 

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dec 22, 2007
24,018
0
0
BroHuffman said:
So around 200k. Thats pretty meh for the 3DS
Nintendo earned it. I'm not sure any 3DS games even came out in April.
 

UberTag

Member
Feb 17, 2011
37,332
0
0
Kitchener, ON
infinityBCRT said:
If Amazon is any sort of accurate indicator I think the top 4 may actually be..

1) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2) Portal 2 (360)
3) Portal 2 (PS3)
4) Mortal Kombat (360)
If that 60% more on X360 stat from CNBC is to be believed, we're actually looking at:

1) Portal 2 (360)
2) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
3) Mortal Kombat (360)
4) Portal 2 (PS3)

Shocking.

Dance In My Blood said:
Nintendo earned it. I'm not sure any 3DS games even came out in April.
Crappy Splinter Cell 3DS shipped in April. :D
 

The Librarian

Banned
Apr 22, 2008
44,148
0
0
27
UberTag said:
If that 60% more on X360 stat is to be believed, we're actually looking at:

1) Portal 2 (360)
2) Mortal Kombat (PS3)
3) Mortal Kombat (360)
4) Portal 2 (PS3)

Shocking.
Portal 2 deserves it.
 

Curufinwe

Member
May 20, 2009
31,241
2
725
jling84 said:
Not surprised at all that the 360 version of Portal outsold the PS3 version. Called it as soon as the extra steam copy was announced exclusively for the PS3. At this point, no amount of exclusive content will make the PS3 version of a multiplat game outsell the 360 version, short of the 360 version being completely unplayable. Even if that were to happen I think the 360 version would still outsell, you would just get a lot of returns.
It happened just a year ago with FF XIII, and that didn't have any extra content, just slightly better graphics and less discs.
 

Father_Brain

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
22,707
0
0
33
New York, NY
LCfiner said:
ouch at that 50% drop for 3DS.

I wonder if the below expected sales are due more to the launch price of lackluster launch lineup (or just a straight 50/50 combination of both)? I guess both.
More the software, I think. Certainly, April offered no compelling reasons for anyone who didn't buy the system at launch to buy one. May will be pretty much the same (I don't expect DOA:D to have much of an impact on hardware sales), but June will be much more interesting.
 

Version 3.0

Member
Jun 18, 2005
12,707
0
0
46
Las Vegas
Replicant said:
Mortal Kombat really deserves it. Such a good story mode for fighting game.
Really? Wow, I had zero interest before, since I have so many fighting games that I never play, but a good story mode is cool. Glad you mentioned it.
 

Huff

Banned
Nov 10, 2010
5,835
0
0
Dance In My Blood said:
Nintendo earned it. I'm not sure any 3DS games even came out in April.
I sure haven't gotten one yet. Neither did my brothers who always hop on new nintendo handhelds. Or any of their friends. Its pretty dead. For now.
 

goldenpp72

Member
Nov 29, 2005
14,252
252
1,445
SimpleDesign said:
Kinect Sports will probably sell more than Viva Pinata, Banjo, Kameo and PDZ combined.
I'm pretty sure that if you remove bundles, it already has.
 

Jtyettis

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
0
1,060
MrPink93485 said:
Article also says 360 version of Portal 2 outsold PS3 version by 60%. That seems to be pretty close in line with the UK split I believe.
Yea, that settles that then. I figured it might come in line with the UK figures, but didn't think the spread would be that wide. Of course I said this would happen long ago.
 

fernoca

Member
Sep 17, 2006
30,835
0
1,075
Puerto Rico
Re: Portal 2
People need to keep in mind that Xbox 360 owners got The Orange Box first (and a well done port too) and the exclusive Still Alive which still manages to chart in the weekly sales.

PS3 owners only got The Orange Box, late and along with harsh words about the quality of the port. So the added bonus if anything made some 360/PC owners change to the PS3 version, more than attracting new users.

So, in many people's mind Portal is an Xbox 360/PC game.
 

CadetMahoney

Member
Mar 14, 2009
16,828
1
695
I just like how everyone is scurrying for scraps under the table nowadays from the NPD drought. CNBC, Amazon numbers. . . you name it it's all here. Please sir can I have some more. . .
 

1-D_FTW

Member
Jun 14, 2006
17,069
0
0
LCfiner said:
ouch at that 50% drop for 3DS.

I wonder if the below expected sales are due more to the launch price of lackluster launch lineup (or just a straight 50/50 combination of both)? I guess both.
I'd say both. The lineup took the wind out of people's sails and made them look real hard at the system for 249.99. And once that launch period euphoria passes and the buzz wears off, it takes a compelling reason to purchase. 3DS isn't offering many reasons at the moment. Makes it easy to have resolve at the 249.99 price.
 

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dec 19, 2008
5,100
6
770
QLD, Australia
MrPink93485 said:
Article also says 360 version of Portal 2 outsold PS3 version by 60%. That seems to be pretty close in line with the UK split I believe.
Yup. UK was about 60 > 30 > 10 (retail PC).

Doesn't seem that surprising to me. Orange Box did better on 360, Portal was also on xbla.
 

Jtyettis

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
0
1,060
CadetMahoney said:
I just like how everyone is scurrying for scraps under the table nowadays from the NPD drought. CNBC, Amazon numbers. . . you name it it's all here. Please sir can I have some more. . .
CNBC is much better source than Amazon will ever be. Amazon is not a legit source nor has it ever been.
 

MrPink93485

Member
May 20, 2009
3,321
0
0
Jtyettis said:
Yea, that settles that then. I figured it might come in line with the UK figures, but didn't think the spread would be that wide. Of course I said this would happen long ago.
I think ultimately, we overestimated the impact of the free PC copy and didn't consider some of the things the PS3 version had going against it (not many PS3 only users likely played Portal on the Orange Box....Valve games usually releasing on 360, PSN, etc)
 

Bigfoot

Member
Jun 7, 2004
3,075
0
1,305
Edmonton
user_nat said:
Interesting. Has that always been there?

Evilore must have addition information, because the NPD release doesn't say that.
http://media.industrygamers.com/editorial/2011/05/npdapril2011.png

Different ordering that tends to make sense (like Lego being Wii > 360). Maybe NPD is just being mean.
If it doesn't indicate # of sales ordering, I would guess it indicates $ sales order. Since 360 and PS3 games cost the same, I think it is safe to assume that the order indicates # of sales order when comparing these two systems.
 

Outtrigger888

Member
Apr 23, 2008
6,137
0
0
Hmmmm really hope the 3ds doesnt turn out like the last time nintendo made 3d hardware. I just dont want my investment of two 3ds's to go nowhere.
 

UltimaPooh

Member
Aug 2, 2006
9,990
0
1,065
Springfield, MO
Seda said:
I think Portal 2 was easily more successful on 360 because of the sheer number of fans that played the Orange Box on 360.

Beaten.
As well as Valve's awesome support of the platform (not counting PC/Mac) with Left 4 Dead 1/2 and Portal Still Alive.
 

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Feb 25, 2006
6,317
0
0
NoVA
I'll never understand those Kinect numbers. Really just amazing. I imagine it'll even get more popular once Microsoft integrates Skype with Xbox Live.
 

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
23,337
23,287
2,145
Portal 2 -- 637K
Crysis 2 -- 236K
NBA2K11 -- 190K

Combined platforms, new physical retail only.

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.
 

timetokill

Banned
Oct 19, 2004
32,841
0
0
Los Angeles, CA
Outtrigger888 said:
Hmmmm really hope the 3ds doesnt turn out like the last time nintendo made 3d hardware. I just dont want my investment of two 3ds's to go nowhere.
Easy there four-eyes.... there's literally no way that will happen.

Again, Nintendo has basically put out nothing for the platform. At E3 they will show off their new Mario game or whatever and then have a monster holiday.