• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Conduit

Banned
I will be shocked if PS4 takes August. The samsung tv deal should secure XB the win.

But deal was in limited amount and not huge amount.

Two words: Front Loaded

XB Halo bundle is at #15 Hourly the bundle hasn't been in the top 100 for a while. I suspect it'll drop to #20 for August's monthly and fall to #50 in September. Then pick up in sales before launch in October.

Btw. where you saw now Halo 5 bundle at #15 on hourly chart? I don't see any.

Roronoa

Banned
Btw, why and how would the xbone edge out the ps4 this month? Going by some posts here, there seems to be a consensus that the xbone will outsell ps4.

Looking at the releases for this month, I don't see any xbone game as a clear reason for buying it over the ps4.

I actually think Until Dawn will somehow move units, more than any exclusive game this month. Madden, I feel, would sell more on the ps4.

Kusagari

Btw, why and how would the xbone edge out the ps4 this month? Going by some posts here, there seems to be a consensus that the xbone will outsell ps4.

Looking at the releases for this month, I don't see any xbone game as a clear reason for buying it over the ps4.

I actually think Until Dawn will somehow move units, more than any exclusive game this month. Madden, I feel, would sell more on the ps4.

If Until Dawn sells more than Gears I will be legitimately shocked.

gtj1092

Haha, this attempt to discredit insiders just because you don't like what they say is getting hilarious.

Who's trying to discredit them? I think serfers post just shows John is in line with his bosses and leans Xbox. At least he posted evidence and John's own words.

Percy

Banned
AC is due for a commercial flop. They have run it into the ground in embarrassing fashion.

Unless bundles end up obscuring the numbers a bit again (Though I don't think Sony will be pushing the AC PS4 bundle this year nearly as hard as MS were pushing the AC XB1 bundle last year), I could easily see Unity's disastrous release hurting Syndicate's sales a lot this year.

If Until Dawn sells more than Gears I will be legitimately shocked.

Maybe he wasn't counting remasters or something.

i'd trust John Harker & Cosmic Queso for what its worth.

They clearly know what they're talking about.

I never doubted they do, but if that's really true that John Harker at least is happy to mislead everyone because of unbelievably petty reasons like he can't handle seeing a particular games console get mocked then I'd be inclined to be considerably more wary of his posts going forward.

If, however, serversurfer is incorrect or anything in his post on the matter I'll happy retract this of course.

IMO, combined with Arkham bundle still going strong & $200 price match that was all over the net, Sony probably has August. $500 XB1 + TV deal would've been a lot bigger had they prepared for it to sell out and made the replacement bundles ahead of time.

IMO, combined with Arkham bundle still going strong & $200 price match that was all over the net, Sony probably has August. $500 XB1 + TV deal would've been a lot bigger had they prepared for it to sell out and made the replacement bundles ahead of time.

I do not think they ever intended to prepare as many Box + TV deals as possible.
This was a doorbuster deal to cause some talk about the retailer and get many people onto their page. And it worked.

Javin98

Banned
I will be shocked if PS4 takes August. The samsung tv deal should secure XB the win.
IIRC, Abdiel said the PS4 was still ahead even when the XB1 + Samsung TV deal was going on. Also, Best Buy comprises of only 10% of the video game market in the US. Retailers like Gamestop and Walmart contribute more to console sales.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Unless bundles end up obscuring the numbers a bit again (Though I don't think Sony will be pushing the AC PS4 bundle this year nearly as hard as MS were pushing the AC XB1 bundle last year), I could easily see Unity's disastrous release hurting Syndicate's sales a lot this year.

Maybe he wasn't counting remasters or something.

I never doubted they do, but if that's really true that John Harker at least is happy to mislead everyone because of unbelievably petty reasons like he can't handle seeing a particular games console get mocked then I'd be inclined to be considerably more wary of his posts going forward.

If, however, serversurfer is incorrect or anything in his post on the matter I'll happy retract this of course.

What is going on in here? This is no longer Sparta, this is just madness.

I notice some people using Amazon, keep in mind Xbox One was out of stock for 5 days from 18 to 22nd.

Don't forget Madden and Gears come in late as well.

But I'm more curious about September myself.

I notice some people using Amazon, keep in mind Xbox One was out of stock for 5 days from 18 to 22nd.

When was it out of stock? don't you mean it didn't ship from amazon.
Also unlike PS4, Xbox One has 3 SKU's on Amazon available for purchase.

When was it out of stock? don't you mean it didn't ship from amazon.
Also unlike PS4, Xbox One has 3 SKU's on Amazon available for purchase.

It has 2. Halo MCC, and the 1TB. The Madden and Gears are literally just starting. So we'll need to wait for the results of those.

Also yes you're right, Amazon didn't have it in stock until the 22nd, and that's when it dropped off (the regular Halo MCC).

Do we have other charts to compare to? like Gamestop for reference?

You should not be. Destiny bundle and MGS V which has an extreme PlayStation lean make September the easiest month to predict a winner for the rest of this year.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It has 2. Halo MCC, and the 1TB. The Madden and Gears are literally just starting. So we'll need to wait for the results of those.

Also yes you're right, Amazon didn't have it in stock until the 22nd, and that's when it dropped off (the regular Halo MCC).

Do we have other charts to compare to? like Gamestop for reference?

Are you him?

Last year Madden bundle didn't helped.

if you're looking at it simply from a perspective of winning the month, then yes, it didn't, but that's a bit of a narrow mindset to use. The difference that month was relatively low-- 30K-- especially in comparison to the last month's difference of 56K, and I think part of that can be attributed to the bundle.

IIRC, Abdiel said the PS4 was still ahead even when the XB1 + Samsung TV deal was going on. Also, Best Buy comprises of only 10% of the video game market in the US. Retailers like Gamestop and Walmart contribute more to console sales.

I think he stated rather that the PS4 was still performing strongly despite the XB1 deal, but considering that the console was selling out across many stores, the XB1 probably did sell more during that week. What you said about GS and Walmart is definitely true, though, and I wish that Shogun was still around to give us insight :(

I'm not sure if it's been specific circumstance or coincidence, but I believe Abdiel has predicted a PS4 win or virtual tie every month-- even in November and December. It's possible his region is more inclined towards PS4 than the nation on average, but only he'd be able to answer that with the LTD sales ratios he would have access to.

Welfare

The Madden bundle last year sold ~40k in one week. The Madden bundle this year will have 2 weeks of tracking. There is also the 500GB Gears bundle for one week. August can go either way, but will still be close.

When you said interested I took that to mean you thought to mean NPD could go either way. That is what "interesting" has become associated with in these topics. My mistake.

Oh sorry I wasn't familiar with that.

I was mainly interested in seeing if the gap will be as big or bigger than last year or an average one.

Maybe Abdiel's district is more inclined for PS4 than national average. Even in november of last year he said that sales was close, but Xbox One had a 400k win in NPD.
Best Buy had the worst deals of all the big retailers last November. What he said was only for his stores.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Funny thing:
Last year XB1 boost July to May was 29k.
The gap between PS4 and XB1 last month was 29k.

If XB1 will increase the sales like last year, will sell what the PS4 sold in July ( 218k ).

Jigorath

Banned
Xbone will win August
PS4 will win September
Xbone will win October

Nov and Dec are up for grabs. Need to wait see how price drops go.

PS4 with Madden NFL 16 for free in Gamestop...

Predictions for august becoming more and more exciting.

Is this only really an internet thing in terms of advertising?

I recently went to several gamestops, and all had Xbox One advertisement posters except this one store which has a poster for the PS4 deal and it was in a corner next to the Vita section.

Btw did you know some gamestops had Vita sections?

ethomaz

Banned
They have enough bundles coming.
Is MGS really this huge in the US?
NPD June 2008.

MGS4: 774.6K without bundles
PS3: 405,500 (about 220,000 was from the MGS4 PS3 bundle)

Yes... it is... you can predict it could have the same power than Destiny White bundle last year.

Top Bottom