• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Flying_Phoenix said:
Okay not to troll since I'm trying not to imply that this is a bad game or will fop or something but WTF? I mean judging from these clips this game has to have some of the most ridiculously easy auto-aim and easy kills ever. I mean the player isn't even aiming at the flying enemy most of the time and manages to blow it up, then he misses every shot but one to a soldier and they instantly die. Is it on like ultra-easy or something to demostrate the game?

Maybe it's just late and I'm missing something but seriously.

This seems like a lame thread to troll/criticize Killzone 2 not to mention it's almost impossible to judge gameplay from these gifs people love to post.

The game will be out in a relatively short amount of time and while there is a strong and often annoying defense force for the game on gaf I'm sure an accurate portrait of the game will be available shortly before or after release.

For what it's worth I think it looks great and I hope it is a very good game. We always need more of those. But its sort of silly to swing to either extreme with it not being out and not being able to make accurate judgements from gifs.

Rolf NB

Blame! said:
does anyone here expect the wii bubble to burst in 2009?
Yes. The bubble will burst into an all-encompassing cloud of confetti and the people of the land will continue to buy lots of Wiis.

Stoney Mason said:
This seems like a lame thread to troll/criticize Killzone 2 not to mention it's almost impossible to judge gameplay from these gifs people love to post.

The game will be out in a relatively short amount of time and while there is a strong and often annoying defense force for the game on gaf I'm sure an accurate portrait of the game will be available shortly before or after release.

For what it's worth I think it looks great and I hope it is a very good game. We always need more of those. But its sort of silly to swing to either extreme with it not being out and not being able to make accurate judgements from gifs.

I never said it looked bad it's just something that really annoyed me from the gifs because it just stood out for me. So yeah back to NPD talk...Guitar Hero is not developed by Nintendo.

Cipherr

Flying_Phoenix said:
I realize that. It's just that I'm sure Nintendo expected more after the successes of Wii Play, Wii Fit, and of course Wii Sports.

Okay not to troll since I'm trying not to imply that this is a bad game or will fop or something but WTF? I mean judging from these clips this game has to have some of the most ridiculously easy auto-aim and easy kills ever. I mean the player isn't even aiming at the flying enemy most of the time and manages to blow it up, then he misses every shot but one to a soldier and they instantly die. Is it on like ultra-easy or something to demostrate the game?

Maybe it's just late and I'm missing something but seriously.

Its unwise to disturb the bees nest.

What point are they trying to make? That, besides Nintendo, other companies had big losses in terms of revenue to offset the companies with growth? Or that Nintendo is the only company with growth?

The chart doesn't prove the second, and the first is kind of meaningless, given that one company could have massive losses in revenue (similar to Nintendo's gains) and throw everything off.

Pointless stupid spinning chart is pointless, stupid, and spinnin baby SPINNIN!

Edited because the quote included the large GIFs.

Shurs

Hawk269 said:
This early in the lifespan of the system, for them to not beat out 07 when the price point was higher is not too good for them. What really makes this even worse is the amount of software of the same title selling sooo much more on the 360.

There's a $400 and $500 SKU, just like last year.

In regards to your software comment, that's a bit unfair. Why do you expect a higher attach rate for PS3 versions of games than 360 versions?

Lightning

Banned
Why do people keep quoting those KZ2 gifs? What are KZ2 gifs doing in a NPD thread? I came to read about sales and instead have off-topic gifs eating away at my monthly GB limit... That pisses me off. This KZ2 crap is getting out of hand.

On a side note, Nintendo software is something else. Wii Play topping the charts...

TJ Spyke

Blame! said:
does anyone here expect the wii bubble to burst in 2009?

People have been saying this since the Wii started exploding in sales in early 2007. The Wii is the new PS2 in terms of sales. The fact that the Wii became the first console to ever sell 10 million systems in the US in one year helps support this.

You know, I haven't read the thread at all aside from the OP, but right now I just want to say:

HELLZ YEAH, DS

System of the generation!

(Now, to start reading)

Blame!

TJ Spyke said:
People have been saying this since the Wii started exploding in sales in early 2007. The Wii is the new PS2 in terms of sales. The fact that the Wii became the first console to ever sell 10 million systems in the US in one year helps support this.

but does this exclude the wii from having a downturn in public interest? i guess it's been 2 years so probably not.

looks like wii will define the future of gaming for sure.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Lightning said:
On a side note, Nintendo software is something else. Wii Play topping the charts...
You know, a lot of people have a problem with Wii Play being counted as software, but I don't. To me, the Wii Play number is really the Wii Sports number, since Wii Sports doesn't get counted.

That, and I bet you if Nintendo decided to put out Wii Play as a ten dollar standalone game tomorrow, it would sell about the same amount. People can buy Wii Remotes without Wii Play if they want. Ten bucks is a pretty good price for a budget game by Nintendo, though, so there you go.

AniHawk

Lining stuff up at the 26-month mark:

Wii (Dec 2008): 17.54m
GBA (July 2003): 14.71m
Playstation 2 (Nov 2002): 12.99m
Nintendo DS (Dec 2006): 9.13m
Xbox 360 (Dec 2007): 9.12m
Xbox (Dec 2003): 7.68m
PSP (April 2007): 7.41m
PS3 (Dec 2008): 6.79m
Gamecube (Dec 2003): 6.73m

Thanks Leondexter

Mindlog

Question. Sony's release stated this December was one of the PS3's strongest software months.

What was the PS3's strongest software month?

Wow at those numbers, great month for ninty and ms. Sony have some issues now they have a console that offers no more gameing wise than a console half its price in the current climate unless they cut the price they are going to be cut adrift in third place. Bluray isnt going to save them anymore theres good sony branded bluray players that are fast profile 2.0 have the same if not better IQ to the ps3 for half the price of a ps3 sony is in a hard spot right now.

Mindlog said:
Question. Sony's release stated this December was one of the PS3's strongest software months.

What was the PS3's strongest software month?

Maybe Metal Gear Solid 4's debut month? I don't know, just guessing.

AniHawk said:
Playstation 2 (Nov 2002): 20m (this is wrong, gimme a sec)
Wii (Dec 2008): 17.5m

Yeah, ps2 was at 13.0 mil at the 26th month mark. Additionally, wii is selling at a 35% faster rate than ps2 during the first 26 months.

AFreak

Banned
Hawk269 said:
While I would say "not bad", the bigger issue is that it sold less in 08 December than in 07 December when the price point was higher. That, in retail/business is a "bad deal" for them. Typically, you sell more at lower price points, but this is the first time that I am aware of that a system sold less than it did the year before, other than when it is known that a new system is coming.

This early in the lifespan of the system, for them to not beat out 07 when the price point was higher is not too good for them. What really makes this even worse is the amount of software of the same title selling sooo much more on the 360.

Sony is pretty much fucked no matter what at this point. Anything they do, MS can counter them. I have both systems and love each one, but the PS name is not the same PS name it was the last two generations.

No, the price point was not higher last December. In fact, it was at 399(for the 40GB) Last December.

AniHawk said:

Playstation 2 (Nov 2002): 20m (this is wrong, gimme a sec)
Wii (Dec 2008): 17.5m
Nintendo DS (Dec 2006): 9.2m
Xbox 360 (Dec 2007): 9.1m
PSP (April 2007): 7.4m
PS3 (Dec 2008): 6.8m
Xbox (Dec 2003): I dunno (over 6.6m)
Gamecube (Dec 2003): I dunno (over 5.6m)
GBA (July 2003): I dunno (I dunno)

Here you are:

PS2: 12.99m
Xbox: 7.68m
GCN: 6.73m
GBA: 14.71m
NDS: 9.13m
PSP: 7.41m
X360: 9.12m
PS3: 6.79m
Wii: 17.54m

Sharp

AstroLad said:
Oh this is hardly the first time they've done something like that. If I was going to call Nintendo's strategy this gen anything I would call it: manufactured hype. You saw Mario Kart DS sales flagging big-time, so the easy solution is to just set up a so-called "shortage" and all of a sudden you've basically created consumer demand that under any normal circumstance wouldn't (and shouldn't) exist.

This is why their sales are just so unpredictable this gen--you don't know what is happening in the supply lines, and shortage hype pretty much dictates exactly what sells for them.
Hail to the KING baby

TJ Spyke

grandjedi6 said:
Then he should have sourced Konami's financial reports then. You can't use Wikipedia as a source ever since its nothing more than a collection of sources itself. Plus it can be edited by anyone.

And Wikipedia's videogame articles aren't that reliable.

Depends on the article. Most are reliable though, and the list of best-selling video games page is really reliable as only sourced data is allowed (and VG Chartz is NOT allowed as me and the other people who are part of the video game Wikiproject know that their numbers are BS. Our job is made more difficult by the fact that reliable sources like GameSpot sometimes use those false numbers).

Leondexter said:
Here you are:

PS2: 12.99m
Xbox: 7.68m
GCN: 6.73m
GBA: 14.71m
NDS: 9.13m
PSP: 7.41m
X360: 9.12m
PS3: 6.79m
Wii: 17.54m

Wow. It's amazing that Sony has been able to sell 6.79 million consoles at that high price. Wait till they drop the price! Sales will skyrocket!

Might as well get the spin out of the way.

MercuryLS

Banned
Happy to see L4D do so well.

360 did well, PS3 didn't do so well. But as long as 3rd parties make multi-plat games for 360/PS3/PC everyone should be happy (in theory). The only thing that sucks (for PS3) is that the gulf between both machines is getting bigger, so while most titles will hit both systems, most often than not the 360 version will be better. I thought that trend would change over time, but it doesn't seem to be, just tried skate 2 on PS3 today and that's a weak port just like skate 1 was (trearing and frame drops).

It's still weird to me seeing a playstation getting the second class citizen treatment from devs. Big change since PS1/2. At least the exclusives are shit hot, but as long as this trend continues I'll be buying all multi-plat games for 360.

AFreak

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Wow. It's amazing that Sony has been able to sell 6.79 million consoles at that high price. Wait till they drop the price! Sales will skyrocket!

^Funny cuz its true.

Stoney Mason said:

:lol

AFreak said:
^Funny cuz its true.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

How did that $99 gamecube help its sells skyrocket?

fanboi

Banned
Stoney Mason said:

You sir, win the fucking internetz!
I salute you!

markatisu

There bread and butter is still on the 360/PS3. every single week they get a constant flow of money coming in from DLC. HMX is probably the most successful company this gen in regards to DLC.

I bet most of those GHWT sales on Wii are 1 and done purchasers. RB2 and GHWT on 360/PS3 are getting people to spend 5-10$ and in some cases with full albums up to 20$ on there platform EVERY WEEK.

Your getting people to buy your game and then commit a small portion of money every week until they are done releasing DLC.

From recent reports a huge percentage of online DLC purchasers are on 360/PS3.

Their bread and butter is on the 360 not the PS3, the PS3 made up under 20% of the total DLC bought according to the numbers they released this month

And its nice to shit on the Wii for DLC when it was not offered, of course you are going to get a high split when its not available (in the cases of GH3 and RB1)

We have no idea specifically for GHWT what the split between the 3 systems is, and with RB2 launching a few days before Christmas and the music store opening THIS week its kind of hard to gauge the reception.

But just going by the fact Harmonix had to issue 3 separate press releases to calm Wii owners that DLC was coming I cannot believe that nobody is buying the content now that its available. The Wii music store was taken offline the 1st two hours because it was hit too hard

Mindlog

Leondexter said:
Maybe Metal Gear Solid 4's debut month? I don't know, just guessing.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure this one out. Where are the JStone and PL charts :D

I can't think of a reason Dec 2008 wasn't the PS3's biggest SW unit month ever. Now I really want to see the chart to verify whether or not the 360 had it's biggest. Although Halo 3 of course might mess with that.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I fully expect a $249 PS3 bundled with Killzone 2 to be consistently outsold by the Wii outside of the month of the price drop. It's the core product people are buying and, quite frankly, people want Wii's core product more.

Think about it. The cheapest Xbox 360 SKU is currently cheaper than the Wii, despite having vastly more powerful hardware, a more robust 3rd party library and a better online implementation, yet it's still being outsold by the Wii. The PS3 offers similar value. The conclusion should be clear.

Id like to respectfully disagree on that point. Alot of Wii gamers are ex PS2 casuals, not die hard Nintendo Fanboys, so when you see the PS3 hitting the price of what they paid for the PS2 and Wii, they will say hey how about we upgrade the old PS2 to a 3. They dont have that mentality with the 360, and dont compare it to the PS2 which most people had.

sinnergy

Great sales for both Wii and Xbox 360. Not so much for PS3, Sony really needs to fix this but it will unlikely happen, been saying this for a year now. Sony gave away the USA market. Amazing really.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wii = PS2 + 35.03%
Xbox 360 = Xbox + 18.75%
PS3 = GCN + 0.89%

Total Wii+360+PS3 = 33.45M
Total PS2+Xbox+GCN = 27.4

This gen = last gen + 22.08%

Pretty respectable numbers, especially considering how prices are: expensive hardware, music games at $180, regular software at $50-$60 with fewer budget titles...I'm not sure whehter to be happy or sad about it all.

thewhiterabbit said:
:lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

How did that $99 gamecube help its sells skyrocket?

The difference is the Gamecube got smashed by the PS2, whereas the 360 isnt smashing the PS3, its just keeping its lead and thats it. The fact remains that when the price of the PS3 does drop, European and Japanese sales will skyrocket, while 360 sales plummet, the 360 might still outsell in NA but not by much. By the end of the gen the PS3 will have outsold the 360, guaranteed.

AFreak

Banned
Dirtbag said:
You're either a complete moron or an utter genius.

A little bit of both. All I'm saying is that GCN launched with a lower price point than the PS2 and always had a lower price point. That means that price had no sway with people because they wanted the more expensive item(which I'm guessing Sony thought would happen again...hindsight yadda yadda).

However, the PS3 has the chance to take the sales because we really don't know if some people are remaining on the sidelines this gen just for PS3 price cuts. The PS3 still has a chance to catch up to 360/Wii based on this assumption. Sure, I may be grasping at straws, but they are long straws and I wouldn't have to take out the trash by pulling it(ok stupid reference of drawing straws to see who does the daily chores).

DogWelder

pseudocaesar said:
The difference is the Gamecube got smashed by the PS2, whereas the 360 isnt smashing the PS3, its just keeping its lead and thats it. The fact remains that when the price of the PS3 does drop, European and Japanese sales will skyrocket, while 360 sales plummet, the 360 might still outsell in NA but not by much. By the end of the gen the PS3 will have outsold the 360, guaranteed.
Not only did you use a ridiculous number of weasel words, but you also decided to make a complete baseless prediction...

AniHawk

Fuzzy said:

That was the year the GC sold a million units in December. I remember it had a pretty shitty January 04. Even though the PS3's selling like crap, it'd have to do a lot worse than it is now to sink that low.

AFreak said:
gamecube was NEVER higher than PS2. Therefore, argument is invalid :p

It was in third and rapidly dropped the price to $99. It helped sales none. By the time the ps3 gets to a mass market price point the market will have moved on. yes a small minority are wating for a price drop but those 100 million have moved on. Most to the wii.

Live in denial. But home, lbp, mgs4 and all of that did not change the ps3's sales. Theres always been some future point, some promise just around the corner, or some ne whot game that would all of a sudden change the market. Secret ps3 game anyone?. Its not going to happen. Its 2009 and its struggling to outsell the gc pace. Reality is a bitch. It just sold less in than last years holiday.

Top Bottom