• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For July 2016

Ricky_R

I have no idea when people here got the impression that this was a gossip chat room, but it isn't. In case it wasn't clear from our "one user, one account" policy, we do not allow banned posters to re-register, and thus we do not allow current posters to act as proxy reposters for banned users. In addition, the site being cross-linked from is part of a banned site (which is why no one is posting links to it).

Looking through search results, it seems this has been pretty much constant since his/her previous account was banned. This is not welcome.

As a comment on NDP_Mulcair: This account was registered by someone purporting to be George Terhanian, President and Chief of Research for NPD under the username NPD_George. The first red flag was that the user was registering using a disposable email from an ISP rather than a work email. We quickly used the same forensics we use on other purported celebrity accounts and determined that the account was not who they said they were. We do not make public the information we use to do this kind of verification.

We verify accounts like this because GAF is a big site and many people have done celebrity impersonation attempts, including most recently a user banned for claiming to be Ronda Rousey, but also notably Zelda Williams (including roleplaying being upset about her Dad passing) and Aisha Tyler (the current Aisha Tyler account is the real deal). Once we determined that NPD_George was not who they said they were, we renamed the account to another name to mitigate the risk of celebrity impersonation. It is worth noting that the user in question did not express any confusion or contact any of us at the time.

The user in question continued to post. We applied further forensics and determined the account was being used by a previously banned user. As a result, we banned the user for circumventing a previous permanent ban. The user responsible for the account had been previously banned several times for creating accounts to circumvent previous bans. We often apply a little bit of flexibility and leeway when it comes to, for example, people banned a decade ago and reformed (in this thread alone, Square2015 is Square2005! Surprise!), but a serial re-registerer who keeps getting on our radar clearly has no intention to obey the rules, and thus they are removed. Again, our ability to detect alt accounts is fairly sophisticated and gets better all the time. It's not perfect, and it's not immediate, but it's also not stupid. We aren't idiots. And in point of fact, even without any of the forensics, it is typically not difficult -- many if not most of our alternate account detections come from ordinary users observing that someone is plainly an alternate account.

If due to some cosmically unlikely coincidence the actual George Terhanian was banned from NeoGAF, I invite them to contact support@neogaf.com from their NPD email and ask to be unbanned when he certifies his identity. We would be happy to have the real George Terhanian as a poster here.

We invite posters to continue posting reliably sourced information that they find online. Recognizing that many people banned from GAF are original sources of information, it is probably impossible to prevent useful information being posted just because it is from a tainted source, but gossip about a previously banned member should not be the primary subject of the NPD threads, and if it is going to be, we will simply not have NPD threads.

Goddammit, Hindle.

I have no idea when people here got the impression that this was a gossip chat room, but it isn't. In case it wasn't clear from our "one user, one account" policy, we do not allow banned posters to re-register, and thus we do not allow current posters to act as proxy reposters for banned users. In addition, the site being cross-linked from is part of a banned site (which is why no one is posting links to it).

Looking through search results, it seems this has been pretty much constant since his/her previous account was banned. This is not welcome.

As a comment on NDP_Mulcair: This account was registered by someone purporting to be George Terhanian, President and Chief of Research for NPD under the username NPD_George. The first red flag was that the user was registering using a disposable email from an ISP rather than a work email. We quickly used the same forensics we use on other purported celebrity accounts and determined that the account was not who they said they were. We do not make public the information we use to do this kind of verification.

We verify accounts like this because GAF is a big site and many people have done celebrity impersonation attempts, including most recently a user banned for claiming to be Ronda Rousey, but also notably Zelda Williams (including roleplaying being upset about her Dad passing) and Aisha Tyler (the current Aisha Tyler account is the real deal). Once we determined that NPD_George was not who they said they were, we renamed the account to another name to mitigate the risk of celebrity impersonation. It is worth noting that the user in question did not express any confusion or contact any of us at the time.

The user in question continued to post. We applied further forensics and determined the account was being used by a previously banned user. As a result, we banned the user for circumventing a previous permanent ban. The user responsible for the account had been previously banned several times for creating accounts to circumvent previous bans. We often apply a little bit of flexibility and leeway when it comes to, for example, people banned a decade ago and reformed (in this thread alone, Square2015 is Square2005! Surprise!), but a serial re-registerer who keeps getting on our radar clearly has no intention to obey the rules, and thus they are removed. Again, our ability to detect alt accounts is fairly sophisticated and gets better all the time. It's not perfect, and it's not immediate, but it's also not stupid. We aren't idiots. And in point of fact, even without any of the forensics, it is typically not difficult -- many if not most of our alternate account detections come from ordinary users observing that someone is plainly an alternate account.

If due to some cosmically unlikely coincidence the actual George Terhanian was banned from NeoGAF, I invite them to contact support@neogaf.com from their NPD email and ask to be unbanned when he certifies his identity. We would be happy to have the real George Terhanian as a poster here.

We invite posters to continue posting reliably sourced information that they find online. Recognizing that many people banned from GAF are original sources of information, it is probably impossible to prevent useful information being posted just because it is from a tainted source, but gossip about a previously banned member should not be the primary subject of the NPD threads, and if it is going to be, we will simply not have NPD threads.

Thank you for the insightful post. A really interesting and enlightening read. Appreciate the clarification.

z1ggy

This is an indictment for just how shitty the software situation is for both PS4 and Xbox One. While certainly each respective system has its own hit titles and franchises, all they are really doing is playing to their built in audience. This generation has been abysmal for anything groundbreaking or a must-have system-selling exclusive title. Maybe it's old man yelling at the clouds here but for me this is the worst generation I've seen for software and I've been part of every console generation since 1979.

I'm with you on this. This gen software wise is terrible and it doesnt help that a lot of the new IPs are massive dissappointments.

Sterok

Speaking of new IPs, what are the biggest ones on console this gen that don't involve shooting anything? Most of the notable ones I can think of have plenty of guns. The effect of new IPs to reach new audiences is probably limited if all of them are shooters.

Speaking of new IPs, what are the biggest ones on console this gen that don't involve shooting anything? Most of the notable ones I can think of have plenty of guns. The effect of new IPs to reach new audiences is probably limited if all of them are shooters.

Splatoon is my favorite new IP this gen. It involves shooting, but its more of a territorial conquest game than shooter

This is an indictment for just how shitty the software situation is for both PS4 and Xbox One. While certainly each respective system has its own hit titles and franchises, all they are really doing is playing to their built in audience. This generation has been abysmal for anything groundbreaking or a must-have system-selling exclusive title. Maybe it's old man yelling at the clouds here but for me this is the worst generation I've seen for software and I've been part of every console generation since 1979.

Might as well be Coke & Pepsi and it's bland as fuck.. Ah well, I lived through computer and video gaming's greatest ages of ambition and creativity and appreciated them while they were fresh and active.

Sony would be dumb not to get a $200 ps4 box out there this holiday.

That is the magic price point that will revitalize this generation, not higher priced higher power consoles.

Next npd will have the xbox s effect right?

Yep, August NPD will be all about Xbox One S (the 3 models are doing very strongly on Amazon) though the report come so late in the month that the PlayStation Meeting will be over and we will know everything about PS4 slim and PS4 NEO release plans before even learning how much Xbox One S have been sold in August.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not big, but a nice new IP that contains no shooting: Captain Toad's Treasure Trackers. Also, Ori and the Blind Forest might count (it's amazing), though depending on your definition, it does involve shooting.

Nice to see Siege in the top 10. Fantastic game that I'm so glad is getting has gotten picked up by the gaming community and supported by Ubisoft.

As for UC4, I don't think we have any actual numbers outside the HW bundle but it did >160k last month so following a 50-60% drop from that (which I believe is the standard drop) in it's third month, it's likely around the 80-90k mark this month.

Given that the top 10 is by revenue and now includes digital for some titles but not others, that number doesn't nearly seem high enough to warrant entry into the top 10.

pixelation

Lol, no, you are both confused. PS4 won June. Xbox One won July. This is just updated software sales data from July.

This thread saying the Xbox One won July, is just the same info we had a few weeks ago when NPD just shared hardware sales data. August sales data hasn't been released, and wont for a few weeks. Then, Xbox One could have its two month winning streak if it outsells PS4 again!

Glad to see i am not crazy.

pixelation

It still sold pretty poorly, PS4 just had a bigger drop month over month than Xbox did.
So... congrats on doing slightly less bad than the competition? The Xbox numbers are actually pretty disappointing when you consider the sales it had.

Don't be mean, don't pee on his parade.

Edit: Whoop!!! DP

I don't think the revisions will do much to prevent that if there isn't an increase in quantity and variety of software.

For PS4 an increase in big games is happening in the near future so it seems like good timing. Including from Sony themselves as they are bringing a large increase in software compared to what they've released so far, with many more of their studios finally near release of games. And a good portion of their E3 was also showing even more upcoming new games they are making and/or releasing themselves, including a good number of big games that hadn't been announced until then.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I haven't been posting too much since I've Been busy as hell the past couple months, but did I miss something? These threads seem weeks late from when reports come In and are pretty dead these days

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Not big, but a nice new IP that contains no shooting: Captain Toad's Treasure Trackers. Also, Ori and the Blind Forest might count (it's amazing), though depending on your definition, it does involve shooting.

For Honor, you can't even fire a bow haha

I haven't been posting too much since I've Been busy as hell the past couple months, but did I miss something? These threads seem weeks late from when reports come In and are pretty dead these days

Top 10 was changed from a Units ranking to a Revenue ranking.

Digital sales are included with some third party titles but not first party ones. Steam and B.net are also not included in games where applicable.

The initial report goes out to subscribers at the same time as usual but the public info. has been delayed due to the inclusion of digital sales, typically a week later.

I couldn't agree more. I own more Xbox 360 games than I ever will for all three current gen consoles combined. The software situation is dire.

Xbudz

Thanks to Aquamarine on the *********** forums, who requested that this gets reposted in the official thread.

eWLV0q5.png

Those LTD figures for PS4 and Xbox One.. I assume this is North America only?

14 vs 12 million

Occam

But is it ok to discuss the NPD info posted by Aquamarine in the banned place here on NeoGAF, since (according to Aquamarine) the release of this information is officially sanctioned by NPD?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
3DS - 182K

Code:
2DS July 2016 - 78,000
2DS July 2015 = 1/5 78,000 = 15,600

3DS family July 2015 = 104,000
3DS July 2015 = 88,400

88,400 x 1.18 = 104,312 + 78,000 = 182,312

Code:
[B][U]July 2016[/U][/B]
3DS Family - 182,300
3DS - 104,300
2DS - 78,000

[B][U]July 2015[/U][/B]
3DS Family - 104,000
3DS - 88,400
2DS - 15,600

But is it ok to discuss the NPD info posted by Aquamarine in the banned place here on NeoGAF, since (according to Aquamarine) the release of this information is officially sanctioned by NPD?

I think we can talk about sales info from Aqua (or Zhuge), but we can't talk about the posters themselves.

Jumeira

Banned
Good news about X1 but I'd hoped it would've sold more units if those numbers are to be believed. Think the release of the 500GB model for S is when the console will sell in strong numbers.

Mooreberg

GTA V may be one the best timed releases ever. Gets tons of sales upfront with the tens of millions of people who own PS3/360, get more sales in the long run with the release to PS4, Xbox One, and PC. I guess having the direct competition stumble into obscurity helps as well. At this rate it could be a top ten seller for 2017.

I'm still curious how you can detect alt accounts lol

But nonetheless well done, good job :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
When was the last time 3DS was the #1 hardware overall? I fell like that hasn't happened in ages

more than 1 year and a half.
The Pokemon GO effect is real, looking also at those Pokemon games bumps.
Good for MHGenerations: it is a spinoff and still was able to huit n°1 for the first time ever, and be in line with the previous 4U launch (that was boosted by the New 3DS launch).
Very good for the franchise future in the West, also looking at its charting position in many EU countries.

anothertech

Grats Xbox!

Confused a little from the charts tho. Didn't MS win June? The charts look like Sony win June, and I thought MS made a statement that they were number one last month?

Did I misread?

Grats Xbox!

Confused a little from the charts tho. Didn't MS win June? The charts look like Sony win June, and I thought MS made a statement that they were number one last month?

Did I misread?

Yeah you're confused.
Sony won June and MS won July. Because NPD comes out across two weeks now you probably mixed it up.

Top Bottom