• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not really meaningless but it's strange to do the graph the way he did because many will just look at the bars and ignore what is written above.
Yep, don't put numbers in a graph which you can't compare. He should of just listed the numbers and the differences between them.

Frankly, the extra week or two of tracking isn't going to substantially change the graph in any way. Software sales on a hyped release are extremely frontloaded, you both know this.

Courtesy of Oscar Lemaire:
CTrF2dWWEAEpGVC.jpg

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/665061436465545216

Edit: should have said it earlier sorry, physical only, one week for Halo 5, two for Halo 3 and three for the others.

If the normal 80:20 split between retail and digital is true I am sure it was probably over a million but still... ouch.

Yep, don't put numbers in a graph which you can't compare. He should of just listed the numbers and the differences between them.

These games are known to be quite front loaded if we are looking in a timeframe of 1 month. The 2nd week of Halo 5 in UK had a drop of 78%. Translating to NPD thats around 200k sales missed which hardly detracts from the severity of the decline.

Is October often a slower month because of the upcoming Black Friday and Holiday sales, or are these quite low PS4 numbers after price cut worrying?

c0de

Frankly, the extra week or two of tracking isn't going to substantially change the graph in any way. Software sales on a hyped release are extremely frontloaded, you both know this.

It's still not how you do graphs. You have a common baseline to do comparisons. Mixing game sales with different counted days of sales has nothing in common at all to make comparisons. If you want to do comparisons, do it in the same time frame.
Of course you can argue whether it makes a substantial difference (and I also think it doesn't) but this is not how to do comparisons in a graph.

There are still a ton of people waiting for halo to be like Halo again. So, maybe its time to make that into the next game. Man, it would be great to.get a few shooters withoit sprint and stuff. I m going to buy two copies of deus ex just to say thank you for not making a cod rip off.

leeh

These games are known to be quite front loaded if we are looking in a timeframe of 1 month. The 2nd week of Halo 5 in UK had a drop of 78%. Translating to NPD thats around 200k sales missed which hardly detracts from the severity of the decline.
I'm in agreement, I just think it's poor form to put it in a graph, considering people won't even know this because it's listed in French. Just those additions and with digital sales, it makes it look not as bleak, but yeah, damn that's a decline if I've seen one.

I'd say this isn't with the quality of the game, more so the condition of the market.

Matt

Even if you triple that Halo 5 number it's still around 2.5 - 2.7 million which is actually not bad but I think that's a stretch.

It's more than a stretch.

Adding digital and another week's sales, lets say that in the US Halo 5 is at about 1.2 million.

super6646

Banned
Its legs have to be pretty damn poor right? I mean it has 3 consecutive giant releases hitting 2 of which are competitive shooters as well.

Well if it charts in the top 5, that'll be a good indicator that it can hold itself. Its also in the top 3 most played games on xbox, so thats good I guess.

Kysen

Looking at those UC sales I can see the black friday bundle flopping as well. Time to stop the remaster stuff, it isn't working. Sony better hope that the numbers are down because people want the SW/COD bundles instead.

BokehKing

Banned
Hmm I wonder if someone is starting to regret this now
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=182173208
Well she is going to defend her man, she also thought master chief was as popular as Mario

I can really see this happen now .
But she maybe right though , not for the reasons she thinks though

EA access, what if a million people play those 10 hours and then are just like "um...I'm good, I'll get this when it drops in price"

There is still the possibility, for opening month for halo to outsell battlefronts.

How does Microsoft giving the game away for free with bundles factor into things? The game still has to be purchased no?

Xbox 360 had roughly an 80 million install base when halo 4 came out and sold 3m in 3 weeks. Xbox one has a 5th of the install base and sells 1mill in 5 days, I think halos fine.

BigDug13

Looking at those UC sales I can see the black friday bundle flopping as well. Time to stop the remaster stuff, it isn't working. Sony better hope that the numbers are down because people want the SW/COD bundles instead.

You think this is a flop for an outsourced port job? This shit is straight cash money for Sony. Quite sure this Uncharted remaster was profitable.

The UC BF bundle is $299 which is cheaper .
The SW bundle is $350 so if you don't want that or COD it not a bad price .

Yoday

I'm talking more about the disparity in time represented. While digital makes up a good amount of sales now I'm not naive enough to think it evens things out. However, combine digital with comparing one week of sales to two and three weeks of sales and the graph seems to lose a fair bit of its effect. I'm not implying Halo 5 is on par with past releases, as I'm sure it is quite a bit lower, but that graph seems rather meaningless when not comparing like scenarios.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

the UC bundles don't count in NPD either. I'd assume that's where a majority of those sales came from

OfficerZap

Neo Member
Xbox 360 had roughly an 80 million install base when halo 4 came out and sold 3m in 3 weeks. Xbox one has a 5th of the install base and sells 1mill in 5 days, I think halos fine.

I see what you're saying, but publishers don't care about attach rates.

They care about total product shifted and profit.

1M < 3M regardless of Xbox install size.

Next month going to be very telling for Halo to see how much legs it going to have .

It's also going to be interesting to see the effect of Sony's price cut. The UCC bundle was the only cheaper bundle available in October, this month both CoD and Battlefront bundles will kick-in.

I am pretty sure that Sony's price cut will show its effect in November for all to see.

samar11

It's only 8pm here in Australia, hopefully I get to see some of that pie lol. I am shocked at the low numbers across both platforms and software jesus. I guess as some have said it might be due to the November effect, we wont know until December argh!

Toki767

Hmm...let's see...after September NPDs, PS4 hit over 9 million units in the US with 17.1 million or so combined with Xbox One.

So putting Xbox One at 8.1 million since September, adding the October numbers put sales at 8.4 million.

The barely over 10% attach rate John Harker says probably puts retail sales at around 850K for Halo 5. Maybe 900K if we're being generous?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Halo 3 had an install base that's comparable to the current XBO install base and still sold 3.3 million at launch. If anything, you just pointed out that the decline really started with Halo 4.

Matt

I'm talking more about the disparity in time represented. While digital makes up a good amount of sales now I'm not naive enough to think it evens things out. However, combine digital with comparing one week of sales to two and three weeks of sales and the graph seems to lose a fair bit of its effect. I'm not implying Halo 5 is on par with past releases, as I'm sure it is quite a bit lower, but that graph seems rather meaningless when not comparing like scenarios.

No it doesn't.

Move that bar from just under the 1 million line to just over the one million line to reflect how many copies the game likely sold in two weeks, including digital. The impact is the same.

Just caught up on the entire thread *phew*. Happy to note my prediction of XB1 winning despite PS4 price drop was on point. Missed the XB1 number by about 50k though.

That being said XB1 and PS4 numbers are pretty bad. More so XB1 as this was Halo month and was meant to be a BIG driver of hardware.

The PS4 can be excused a bit due to sales being pushed through to November for bundle anticipation. If it fails to do above 840k like Nov 2014, then Holy shit I imagine it's time for panic stations.

Courtesy of Oscar Lemaire:
CTrF2dWWEAEpGVC.jpg

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/665061436465545216

Edit: should have said it earlier sorry, physical only, one week for Halo 5, two for Halo 3 and three for the others.

Yeah this is absolutely terrible for Halo 5. A flag ship industry franchise, now debuting at less than 1 million? That's Titanfall sales levels on a bigger install base.

There's never been a franchise that has fallen off at such a staggering rate in recent times. Seems to me Halo is an outdated franchise with games like CoD, Destiny, BF and soon Star Wars vastly more fashionable to the mainstream consumer.

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/665092112669626369

"Halo 3 for example, did 3.3 million the first two weeks, then 434K the next four weeks"

I think the vast majority of the sales for a Halo game are done the very first days.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Halo 5: "lol! Digital only counts for 20% at most!"

Uncharted: " I guess most people bought digitally "

Uncharted 4 isn't released yet. Haven't you heard?

Also, releasing Halo next to Star Wars and Call of Duty isn't the best thing for sales. It doesn't stand a chance to either of those.

Top Bottom