• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Javin98

Banned
I'm still waiting for a confirmation, but I shall be grateful if he is legit.
Me too, but I noticed that the numbers he provided in previous posts are very specific and almost impossible for anyone without the data to know unless they copied every single figure for each month.

Don't see how he save the day since we knew X1 numbers and work out PS4 ones .
What we need is software numbers .
True, but it's nice to have confirmation if he really is legit. Also, if these graphs are genuine, there are very specific. We never had such numbers before from Cream. Just rough estimations.

Ok, maybe Halo sales really are in decline. Maybe Halo as a franchise has now been surpassed by some of its competitors. Maybe The One will never see the domination it deserves. I can see that now. I accept it. In the end, it doesn't matter. We all are having a blast playing it and the Halo franchise will live on. That is all that matters.

This was part 5 of special feature post series The Halo 5 stages of grief

Featuring:
Hydrophilic attack - A parody poster robbed of his inspiration
Neogaf.com - A forum deprived of their pie charts
343 Industries - A studio which curses its fate
Console gaming - A ghost without a future
leeh - An optimist who stands his ground
Statham - A loyalist living a lie
Halo - A franchise denied by its homeland
Digital sales which don't exist

Thank you for reading!

JaggedSac

3PTMZhz.png

This graph reminds me of a recent graph where the XBone continues on an upward trajectory to heaven and passes the PS4 in 2032 :p

mejin

It's confirmed that sold less than 1 million with a little more than 10% of attach rate. We don't have a specific number.

Holy crap...

===================================================

Now I'm convinced November will be huge for PS4 and XB1.

George can't be serious. Hahaha

This paragraph here (especially the end is great) :

Geeze guys, the NPD thinks all we use the numbers for is "console war" discussion. That can't be right... can it?

If George is legit, could it be that NPD just authorised him to give some info that is likely to leak anyway, in an attempt to discourage other leakers from doing the same regardless? I doubt he would provide much more than console sell through data.

Rymuth

Finally caught up. Pretty boring NPD. Maybe the Ninjas got to cream?

Ok, maybe Halo sales really are in decline. Maybe Halo as a franchise has now been surpassed by some of its competitors. Maybe The One will never see the domination it deserves. I can see that now. I accept it. In the end, it doesn't matter. We all are having a blast playing it and the Halo franchise will live on. That is all that matters.

Featuring:

Thank you for reading!
Should be your new 'post of forever' - well done, sir.

No mention of Vinny?

FZZ

Banned
Hello again, NeoGAF forums.

Forgive me as I am not familiar with forums, and I am unaware of the conventions of this community. I enjoyed participating in the 'NPD (U.S. Hardware Predictions)' game that the NeoGAF forums offered before the Report was finalized and released. The Neo GAF seems like a fun, intelligent community, so I would like to help the NeoGAF out by disclosing a few immaterial data points from Thursday's Report, although I do not have the time to participate in your 'console war' topics or respond to queries on a regular basis.

The Report in question is The NPD Group's October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Channel) Report which was released to its important clients on Thursday. It is my understanding that the NeoGAF community regularly discusses and analyzes U.S. Console Hardware point-of-sale data from these reports and would appreciate further disclosure to be able to use in 'console war' discussion.

Please keep in mind that the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) Report tracks a 4-week month with a Reporting Period of 28 days (10/04/15 through 10/31/15), because The NPD Group follows a traditional 4-4-5 retail calendar. This is to ensure that weekly / quarterly periods can be properly compared relative to performance from previous years.

In Thursday's October 2015 Report, The NPD Group reported that Sony's 'PlayStation 4' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 275K. In the same October 2015 Report, Microsoft's 'Xbox One' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 303K. Also, Nintendo's 'Wii U' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 65K.

You can refer to the following Excel bar graph I produced for the Neo GAF which conveniently contextualizes the above point-of-sale data in reference to data from previous NPD Reports:

3PTMZhz.png

It is important to note that NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimates of the size of those other monetization methods.

Your data is greatly appreciated.

Would love to see you stay behind as well, GAF is a great community outside of the "console wars" debates that happen.

I'd recommend checking out Media Create/Famitsu thread for JP sales as well as the EU equivalent with PAL charts. Both happen on a weekly basis coming every Wednesday and Monday respectively.

Javin98

Banned

Featuring:

Thank you for reading!
You forgot creamsugar; "A fallen legend" :p

omonimo

Banned
'We are no more focused on the sales of the hardware unit.'
'Wait a minute, we have won NPD? Fuck sony, best month ever lol ps4.'
:/

Hey George, appreciate your post. Do you have an exact number for Halo 5?

Hi, nib95, thanks for the positive feedback!

The best-selling title of the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Report, Microsoft's Console Software SKU 'Halo 5: Guardians,' sold a combined total of 935K including all Bundle units.

I think those are my two least favorite things about NPD threads.

1) People freaking out about charts and not numbers (which we don't get, granted)
2) Arguing over days sales when I think it's probably immaterial for most games given the preorder and frontloading effect of day 1 sales

Indeed.

Oscar Lemaire said:
Halo 3 for instance, sold 3.3 million during its first two weeks and only sold 434k four weeks after that.

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/665092112669626369

Sjefen

November will be insane for PS4, those Star Wars bundles and COD bundle have been in the pre-orders for a long time and high on the lists. At Amazon and Gamestop they dominate the sales chartz. Price drop will show its true colors this month...

giphy.gif

wapplew

The best-selling title of the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry report, Microsoft's Console Software SKU 'Halo 5: Guardians,' sold a combined total of 935K including all Bundle units.

Wooooow, NPD include bundle now?

Elandyll

Banned
Geeze guys, the NPD thinks all we use the numbers for is "console war" discussion. That can't be right... can it?

If George is legit, could it be that NPD just authorised him to give some info that is likely to leak anyway, in an attempt to discourage other leakers from doing the same regardless? I doubt he would provide much more than console sell through data.

Until Bish approves him, NPD_George could be a lot of things (with all due respect).

He could certainly be legit and have full access (although his phrasing sounds a bit weird), and intending to give insight, but he could also be a NPD employee/ Director having some fun at our expense, or simply someone making things up for attention.

The best-selling title of the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Report, Microsoft's Console Software SKU 'Halo 5: Guardians,' sold a combined total of 935K including all Bundle units.

Holy crap, if true that's terrible.

If they sold 200k bundles (2/3 of sales, somewhat believable), it means 735k for the first 5 days (which are generally very front loaded due to pre orders and day1 sales).

If this NPD George is real, he's already dead. Why would you post that much detail? Lol, must be an intern.

Why should he be dead? NPD has the numbers, paying customers, too. That's a lot of people. Hiding behind elaborate language is not too bad either.
Anyway I would suggest a little more caution on his side.
The graph should have been enough. Or a pie.

Javin98

Banned

Holy shit! 935K with bundles included?! Could retail alone be less than 800K, then?

N.Domixis

Banned

The best-selling title of the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry report, Microsoft's Console Software SKU 'Halo 5: Guardians,' sold a combined total of 935K including all Bundle units.
Wow, just be careful GEoRGe. Cover your tracks and hope you never get caught. Thanks for the data.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Man, halo number includes bundles??

Well, that's reallyreally surprising.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Being serious for a second, these results show us two things: the PS4 is coming to an end in NA and Halo as a franchise is already over.
data2xszf.gif

Because the XB1 is barely scraping in with a win with the launch of their biggest franchise, the PS4 is now coming to an end? I love NPD threads so much.

George is obviously an alt account. I mean come on guys. I like it but "the neo gaf" a foreigner wouldn't have this info and he's called npd. Mods are in on this account. Unless it gets nuked.

omonimo

Banned
data2xszf.gif

Because the XB1 is barely scraping in with a win with the launch of their biggest franchise, the PS4 is now coming to an end? I love NPD threads so much.
It happens every year. Xbox probably will outsold ps4 until January like almost every year so ps4 it's temporary dead for someone.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
BUT NOT DIGITAL!

You can add at least 900% digital sales, right?!

It happens every year. Xbox probably will outsold ps4 until January like almost every year so ps4 it's temporary dead for someone.

Almost every year?! We had two holidays only.

One ps4 and xb1 sold almost the same (ps4 was seriously supply constrained) and the other XB1 sold a good amount more because of insane deals.

I wouldn't call it being outsold almost every year.

Being serious for a second, these results show us two things: the PS4 is coming to an end in NA and Halo as a franchise is already over.

Lets not get carried away. At least wait and see how the PS4 performs in November and December where the price cut should certainly come to fruition and they have 2 massive bundles to sell. Whilst this month was poor and disappointing, we do need to see a fuller picture of the price cut this season.

Does the report say how many halo bundles were sold? Thanks and welcome to the neo gaf. I'm the jack the nipper.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hello again, NeoGAF forums.

Forgive me as I am not familiar with forums, and I am unaware of the conventions of this community. I enjoyed participating in the 'NPD (U.S. Hardware Predictions)' game that the NeoGAF forums offered before the Report was finalized and released. The Neo GAF seems like a fun, intelligent community, so I would like to help the NeoGAF out by disclosing a few immaterial data points from Thursday's Report, although I do not have the time to participate in your 'console war' topics or respond to queries on a regular basis.

The Report in question is The NPD Group's October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Channel) Report which was released to its important clients on Thursday. It is my understanding that the NeoGAF community regularly discusses and analyzes U.S. Console Hardware point-of-sale data from these reports and would appreciate further disclosure to be able to use in 'console war' discussion.

Please keep in mind that the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) Report tracks a 4-week month with a Reporting Period of 28 days (10/04/15 through 10/31/15), because The NPD Group follows a traditional 4-4-5 retail calendar. This is to ensure that weekly / quarterly periods can be properly compared relative to performance from previous years.

In Thursday's October 2015 Report, The NPD Group reported that Sony's 'PlayStation 4' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 275K. In the same October 2015 Report, Microsoft's 'Xbox One' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 303K. Also, Nintendo's 'Wii U' U.S. Console Hardware had unit sales of 65K.

You can refer to the following Excel bar graph I produced for the Neo GAF which conveniently contextualizes the above point-of-sale data in reference to data from previous NPD Reports:

3PTMZhz.png

It is important to note that NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimates of the size of those other monetization methods.

Y2KEV, gimme dat "poster has been verified!"

Top Bottom