• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

Darius

Banned
It doesn´t look too great, when even with a big release like MGS5 we see a clear decline compared to just modest sales last year.

allan-bh

total sales.
yes a fad can win a generation, just like a fad can be the best selling toy, where is the wii brand and motion controls now just after one generation of being the fastest selling console for so long, nobody cares about both.

A fad that sells really well in 5 years. That's a Guinness Book record for a fad.

A fad that sells really well in 5 years. That's a Guinness Book record for a fad.

A fad is any product that builds up really high then dies off really fast.

Fads can last for years. It's not even all that uncommon. Disco was a fad that lasted for about a dozen years.

The key is the dropoff, not the height or duration.

allan-bh

A fad is any product that builds up really high then dies off really fast.

Fads can last for years. It's not even all that uncommon. Disco was a fad that lasted for about a dozen years.

The key is the dropoff, not the height or duration.

Wii didn't die really fast. 360/PS3 unusually long cycle takes to this wrong conclusion.

Darius

Banned
Also since the launch aligned PS3+X360 sales have been brought into the discussion. Just keep in mind that X360 exploded when Kinect launched and so far a good chunk of the comparison is based on one of the systems beeing launched for 500$-600$ and remained >=400$ for a good amount of time in the still short timeframe that is actually compared.

Wii didn't die really fast. 360/PS3 unusually long cycle takes to this wrong conclusion.

no. the wii brand died out extremely fast, console goes from destroyin 360/ps3 numbers to only out selling them by 10%,and it's successor goes on to be irrelevant, having no thirdparty support and selling like Dreamcast numbers.

dakun

to be fair. the Wii was dead by the beginning of 2011 sales wise charting even behind the PS3 most of the times. Which even with Nintendo's cycle was 2 full years too early

The Wii hit incredible heights, but it's pretty safe to say that it died with a whimper. Software sales included

Ryng_tolu

Banned
to be fair. the Wii was dead by the beginning of 2011 sales wise charting even behind the PS3 most of the times. Which even with Nintendo's cycle was 2 full years too early

The Wii hit incredible heights, but it's pretty safe to say that it died with a whimper. Software sales included

How you can say Wii is death in 2011? Do you at least know Wii in 2011 sold more than XB1 in 2014? Then, XB1 is already death.

EDIT: Seriusly... PS4 and XB1 sales in 2014:

PS4: 4.7 million
XB1: 4.4 million

Wii in 2011: 4.5 million

If Wii sold bad in 2011, what sold PS4 and XB1 last year?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Boy, people really can't give the Wii a break.

It sold a fucking lot, get over it people.

Ōkami

Wii sold about as much as the PS3 did in 2011 and kept selling plenty of software then, close to 10m units of software shipped on FY2011.

I know not liking the Wii is the popular opinion guys, but the lenght some people go to discredit it is hilarious.

allan-bh

no. the wii brand died out extremely fast, console goes from destroyin 360/ps3 numbers to only out selling them by 10%,and it's successor goes on to be irrelevant, having no thirdparty support and selling like Dreamcast numbers.

Wii sold better than 360 and PS3 worldwide for 4 years (2007-10). 2011 was the first year of loss but still sold more than 10 million, and in 2012 Wii U was launched.

This is not die fast, it's just an end of a normal cycle and Wii U is another system.

Javin98

Banned
The old "wii is a fad" argument...

yup, it's an NPD thread.
This is what happens when cream is still baking his damn pies! I want my pies. According to tradition, a pic of a pie must be posted before we get cream's. I'll start.
exps29824_MBM1450751D1.jpg

97e10fb4-3ee2-486e-bb5a-b2c30674679b.jpg

donny2112

Both PS4 and XB1 sold roughly ~550k combined which is less than the 822k from last year September.

...OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D: D: D:

I get something like 595K based on the 40% number. It's way to general to argue over 45K, though. 1% diff when talking about millions makes a big difference. Will wait for delicious pie...

Any particular reason why it's being released on a Monday?

Software upgrades delayed it.

Joke right?

When I'm doing YOY graphs, it's easier to do Jan-Dec as a year, since that avoids the large disconnect between Dec -> Jan sales. From that perspective, this is the third year for PS4 and XB1. Looking at months since launch, it hasn't been 24 months, though. That may be where the "Year 3" description is coming from.

allan-bh

No, Wii sold more than 10 million worlwide in 2011.

Wii was a fad? Hahahaha okay really now I know we are bored without number but come on, this again? People still salty about that shit?

donny2112

Also since the launch aligned PS3+X360 sales have been brought into the discussion. Just keep in mind that X360 exploded when Kinect launched and so far a good chunk of the comparison is based on one of the systems beeing launched for 500$-600$ and remained >=400$ for a good amount of time in the still short timeframe that is actually compared.

Yeah, don't expect PS4+XB1 to stay above PS360 forever, launch aligned. They're riding a good wave now, though!

donny2112

Damn it, people, let the Wii rest in peace and have some more pie!
s-BLUEBERRY-PIE-RECIPE-large.jpg

Chocolate pie, please.

i'm just upset that it killed gaming forever and i had to stop playing video games because of it like i said i would

(^_^)

Edit:
By the way, at this point, I'm looking at 89K for Wii U (PS4 and XB1 were down YOY according to the VB article; not Wii U) and 120K for 3DS (that's what I get with a 24% YTD YOY increase).

Mory Dunz

Can we please talk about something with sustance?

Driveclub v Forza, round 413, GO!!

I remember an insider or someone last month talking about Nintendo had high software numbers for the year due to some slow burners. I'm curious about LTD updates for a few 3DS and Wii U games. We'll see...

Xenus

Chocolate pie, please.

(^_^)

Edit:
By the way, at this point, I'm looking at 89K for Wii U (PS4 and XB1 were down YOY according to the VB article; not Wii U) and 120K for 3DS (that's what I get with a 24% YTD YOY increase).

Here you go...

Red_Robin_Chocolate_Mountain_High_Mudd_4354300.png

jetsetrez

I usually don't post in these threads, but I just want to say that it makes me sad that MGSV didn't come out on top this month, and that wholly original games like Destiny and Mario Maker were beaten by not just NBA's launch month, but Madden and FIFA as well. :( I mean, I totally understand, I just wish original content were valued more.

allan-bh

Chocolate pie, please.

(^_^)

Edit:

yeah, since is nearly 25%, ~120k for 3DS sounds a good aproximation.

Wii sold better than 360 and PS3 worldwide for 4 years (2007-10). 2011 was the first year of loss but still sold more than 10 million, and in 2012 Wii U was launched.

This is not die fast, it's just an end of a normal cycle and Wii U is another system.

The wii is nothing like a normal cycle, it went from being the most dominating console ever early on and ended up only selling just 10% more then other consoles be the end of the gen, no console has dominated that bad with so little third party support, and no console sold over 100 million had its successor be irrelevant, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Penguin

Yeah, don't expect PS4+XB1 to stay above PS360 forever, launch aligned. They're riding a good wave now, though!

Looking at some older threads, look like they started higher, but slowed down faster.

Went from 70% over a year ago to just 40% this year... and this was before 360 had it's Kinect boom, but think PS3 would have had it's major price drop by now

Top Bottom