• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer Thread & Gamertag Roundup(PC/PS3/360)

djkimothy

DeceitDecide said:
I have a clarification question about the UAV Jammer perk for everyone. Does UAV Jammer prevent you from showing up on the radar at all? Or does it just prevent you from showing up on the radar when the enemy launches a UAV? Because if it's the former, then it makes using a silencer redudant if you're using the UAV Jammer perk. Any ideas?

The silencer is still good in not alerting the enemy to your presence. You can just camp in a corner and pick people off but the others won't be able to find you. It's VERY effective if used properly. Couple the silencer with a fast fire rate weapon and you can easily clear an area of easily without the others knowing.

Why does it seem so random whether you get into a game or not?

Last night I had a good stint of Sabotage for about an hour, but before that I could barely get a game.

Icy

Banned
its been explained again and again and again and again.

IN order to play on a ranked server, your client must connect to the activision master server first and then onto the game server. This is for the PC / Xbox 360 / PS3 versions. The master servers haven't been setup properly to handle the load. So you will timeout trying to connect. They thought they had it fixed based on usage on Friday. only to come saturday the servers were massively overloaded with requests. So until they upgrade it again. You will run into the issue.

djkimothy

Servers seem to be up and running no problems now. Was able to get a game of head quarters no problem, well other than my team sucking.

Aeon712

The servers would be back up when I have to return to work, I managed to find a game last night to get my GAF tag. What was funny was that the game after, when I joined my character was moving by himself all over the map with connection interrupted on the screen. Was funny seeing him jerk all over the map before the game kicked me.

therapist

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Why does it seem so random whether you get into a game or not?

Last night I had a good stint of Sabotage for about an hour, but before that I could barely get a game.

Most people play team deathmatch or free-for-all.
I would assume less people are playing sabotage , hence why its more difficult to find a game.

I could be wrong , but i know i havent touched anything aside from team deathmatch so far , and ive already put ~8 hours into the multiplayer.

Got a 21 kill streak the other night , i was very happy :)

Whats everyones average on accuracy anyways? Do you guys even care about that?

Hammer

therapist said:
Got a 21 kill streak the other night , i was very happy :)

Whats everyones average on accuracy anyways? Do you guys even care about that?

Lol damn you... for the life of me I cant get past a 19 streak. I really don't care about accuracy at all (it's roughly .15%,) especially since I started my LMG challenges. I do, however, check my K/D ratio compulsively, almost to the point of allowing it to detract from the experience. Can't seem to keep it above 1.45. ><

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Outside of deathmatch one of the most popular modes is the counterstrike-esque mode Search & Destroy. So when you see those people who have already hit 55 and are almost to / already through 55 again, its because they played Search and Destroy from the get go. I didn't find out about it until yesterday. But I've played it a lot then and today and went from 31 to 52 in pretty short order.

Breakdown of Search and Destroy

- You don't respawn
- You play to 4 total wins.
- A win is justified by killing all of the teams players or completing the objective.
- The objective is to plant or disarm the bomb.
- You switch turns every 3 rounds. So if you start as planting the bomb then after 3 you'll be preventing the planting.
- Each Kill: You get 50 points as opposed to 10 in deathmatch
- Each Assist: You get 25 points
- Plant / Disarm the bomb: You get 100 points

And then there are round bonuses. I would like to see the actual breakdown of why you get what you get. But regardless if you kill someone it seems like you get minimum of 33 points. I would say in a given round I generally get between 33-118 points. I don't know why they are so odd but those are the 2 I see the most.

At the end of the game I generally get between 700 - 1400 points per game. Total game time averages about 13 minutes. Thats 3 minutes longer than Deathmatch but in that 3 minutes it seems to me the extra 300+ points is worth it.

Its really fun and hellacious rewards. It took me a while to get used to it from the run and gun of deathmatch, but its a lot more fun once you get the hang of it.

Search and Destroy in Hardcore mode is AWESOME.
BTW, are there any servers out there that are actually running hardcore mode? The only time I can play it is in a private server. >.<

Hammer

Anyone else not able to sign into XBL? Seems every time I manage to log in I'm immediately freezing up.

EDIT: Just saw the XBLA Maintenance thread. Seems to be taking longer than they expected, but at least I'm not out a gamertag as XBL would have me believe. :lol

360 | striKeVillain | striKeVillain! | -5 GMT EST

Just got the game over the weekend and would like to join a couple of GAF games. If you send me an invite let me know who you are.

Icy

Banned
blindrocket said:
Search and Destroy in Hardcore mode is AWESOME.
BTW, are there any servers out there that are actually running hardcore mode? The only time I can play it is in a private server. >.<

PC player?

Edwood

Well I'm pretty much done with the Multiplayer. Pretty much maxed out at Colonel II. Only thing left of interest is the Barrett 50 cal Sniper, but I didn't like it all that much.

The M1014 is just crazy powerful, I use it all the time for "room clearing" of campers. Bloc is my favorite Shotty map. Otherwise, it's MP5 all the way.

The Martydom is just plain retarded. It should be the grenade you are carrying, if you've already tossed your frag, you shouldn't have one left to drop. So with Martydom, it's a special Suppository Grenade stuffed up your ass that you shit out when you die. At the very least then, with Martydom you shouldn't be allowed to Sprint, since it would be difficult to run with Grenade up your Ass.

djkimothy

Edwood said:
The Martydom is just plain retarded. It should be the grenade you are carrying, if you've already tossed your frag, you shouldn't have one left to drop. So with Martydom, it's a special Suppository Grenade stuffed up your ass that you shit out when you die. At the very least then, with Martydom you shouldn't be allowed to Sprint, since it would be difficult to run with Grenade up your Ass.

Yah, I think it's retarded to toss a grenade once you used one up. They should fix this. In fact, they should tweak Martyrdom entirely.

Nightz

Edwood said:
That actually made me :lol

I played a single game with some GAF guys last night (thanks for the invite Safe Bet!), but I couldn't stay long because I needed some sleep. The PS3 version needs a way for you to receive invites while in a game, or at least notify you when someone is inviting you. I'm usually playing a game of Headquarters, and when I finish I see that I have an invite, but when I accept the person that invited me is done with their game. :(

Safe Bet

Banned
SPAM ME WITH GAME INVITES PLEASE!!!

Its a real bitch trying to catch people while not in a game, so...

Spam me...

Please...

:D

Ragnarok10

It sucks I can basically only play online every 3 days since that's about how often I get my proper stats. Sucks.

Safe Bet said:
SPAM ME WITH GAME INVITES PLEASE!!!

Its a real bitch trying to catch people while not in a game, so...

I spam you...

You spam me...

Please...

:LOL
I spammed the hell out of you yesterday. Made it in to your party once, but got dropped before we could play.

Arsenic

COD4 online is seriously flawed. to end a game because a host leaves? I thought it would be a rare thing.....but just now i had 4 games in a row end on me suddenly because the fucking host left.

Im a hardcore socom fan, and even that game relied on a host. but never did a game end when they left, it simply passed on the torch to someone else and the game continues.

for all the things COD4 does right, this is terrible.

Arsenic said:
COD4 online is seriously flawed. to end a game because a host leaves? I thought it would be a rare thing.....but just now i had 4 games in a row end on me suddenly because the fucking host left.

Im a hardcore socom fan, and even that game relied on a host. but never did a game end when they left, it simply passed on the torch to someone else and the game continues.

Yeah, it's weird but you don't lose anything for a premature end (unlike Halo 3). And you can jump right back into a different game very quickly.

It's never really bothered me.

Arsenic said:

Agreed it's ridiculous. Needs to be patched.

Icy

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Agreed it's ridiculous. Needs to be patched.

wait? what? what is there to a patch? The game server you were playing on was being hosted on the hosts Xbox3/PS3 system. Its the way server software works. Host left/ Disconnected. Thus the game ends..

Arsenic

The Lamonster said:
Yeah, it's weird but you don't lose anything for a premature end (unlike Halo 3). And you can jump right back into a different game very quickly.

It's never really bothered me.
Yeah i know you can jump back in a game quickly, but that is exactly what made me even more upset. As soon as i entered another game, it happened again! and again. and so on.... atleast 4 times. and at the wrong moments too (like looking through a scope to snipe a dude, then bam, Game ended! Host left!). The gameplay is way too addicting to keep torturing us like that lol. :lol

Icy said:
wait? what? what is there to a patch? The game server you were playing on was being hosted on the hosts Xbox3/PS3 system. Its the way server software works. Host left/ Disconnected. Thus the game ends..
Like i said before, a simple game like Socom 2 never had an issue like that. The host left? guess what, the next person in the room becomes one instantly...with a hint of lag for a few seconds though.

This right here is next-gen baby.

Edwood said:
Well I'm pretty much done with the Multiplayer. Pretty much maxed out at Colonel II. Only thing left of interest is the Barrett 50 cal Sniper, but I didn't like it all that much.

The M1014 is just crazy powerful, I use it all the time for "room clearing" of campers. Bloc is my favorite Shotty map. Otherwise, it's MP5 all the way.

:lol Good stuff, and agreed.

I hate those runners that take some bullet damage up close only to swipe the knife across your throat. :( That's why I love hardcore mode, any bullet they take and it's lights out, baby!

Aeon712

Played some games with PS3 GAF tonight, I dunno what it is when I play with you guys but I suck :lol. But when I ffa I average like a 1.5 k/d just to lose it in team games and drop below a 1. And why the heck doesn't my carbine have the red dot even though I unlocked and added it over the granade launcher? Every gun I pick up/kills me seems to have it :(.

Icy said:

This doesn't happen on just about any other FPS. Halo 3 switches hosts for example.

Is there a TDM gamemode that doesn't have airstrikes? please tell me there is.

Cod4 is starting to become a knife noobfest, it's way to powerful especially with lag. It should take at least 2 stabs to kill, Man i wished there where dedicated servers.

Still having a blast though, i always wonder why people where so high in rank so early since the release..but then i played search and destroy ahhh AKA level up mode.

Safe Bet

Banned
I love this game but it needs dedicated servers and tighter control over player bandwidth equality badly...

There is a difference between what I see and what the killcam shows most of the time and it amazes me how much a match can lag without the game ending or players getting kicked ...

Its a great game but without Dedicated Servers it only serves to hold me over until MGO, SOCOM, and KZ2 hit.

Safe Bet said:
I love this game but it needs dedicated servers and tighter control over player bandwidth equality badly...

There is a difference between what I see and what the killcam shows most of the time and it amazes me how much a match can lag without the game ending or players getting kicked ...

Its a great game but without Dedicated Servers it only serves to hold me over until MGO, SOCOM, and KZ2 hit.

Agreed,

Killcam shows the lag very well.

Scotch

I kinda expected not to like this game because of the respawn gameplay (I'm way more into roundbased modes), but it has really grown on me. Not only that but I just unlocked Search & Destroy and it's amazing. Best of both worlds in one game.

Icy

Banned
Scotch said:
I kinda expected not to like this game because of the respawn gameplay (I'm way more into roundbased modes), but it has really grown on me. Not only that but I just unlocked Search & Destroy and it's amazing. Best of both worlds in one game.

That is all server controlled and determined.

The NeoGAF PC Dedicated server runs Hardcore, Search and Destory single spawn per round. NO respawn until next round.

sharkie

Edwood said:

You're playing on a console?

Scotch

Icy said:
That is all server controlled and determined.

The NeoGAF PC Dedicated server runs Hardcore, Search and Destory single spawn per round. NO respawn until next round.
Yeah I know (sorry wasn't really clear in my post). I found out that there actually was roundbased search and destroy when I unlocked it, it was a nice surprise (for me).

Both very funny and very true. :lol
This is the one thing so far that I really don't like. They have this somewhat realistic world and then they add that shit. I really hope they remove it, or at least nerf it into uselessness in an update.

Safe Bet

Banned
Scotch said:
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

:p

PS

SOCOM did this years ago. It nice to see someone follow their example, finally.

Hammer

Safe Bet said:

One of the devs, Rayme, addressed this in the beta thread awhile back:

"At any time, your client is just predicting what it figures will happen. It doesn't know "for sure" what the state of the world is until the server tells it, it's just a best-guess until it gets the next authoritative state from the server.

So your client might be all "SWEET, dude, you just unloaded five MP5 rounds into this guy's hea-", but then the server's update will arrive that says "Nope. See, JohnnyStarZippo turned 23 deg to the left and sent an M16 burst into your skull. You've actually been dead for the last 1/4 of a second." And when you watch the killcam, that's what you'll see. It's an authoritative record from the server, a recording of what "really" happened.

Of course, the longer the communication time between you and the server, the more and more jarring the server's corrections will seem."

Rayme's Post

Hammer

CajoleJuice said:
No, but we should.

16 player GAF FFA.

I whole heartedly agree. Just not Thursdays, as that would conflict with the GAF 360 TF2 nights.

So... who's going to set it up? :D

Hammer said:
Just not Thursdays, as that would conflict with the GAF 360 TF2 nights.
Truth. Please don't crush our TF2 night.
So... who's going to set it up? :D
I'm somewhat interested, though it depends what night it's going to be (if I can't play, I'd have a tough time motivating to organize). The system we're using for TF2 has been working reasonably well so far.

Top Bottom