• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Oct/Nov NBA 2007-2008 Season Thread - AKA San Antonio's Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here are a few noteworthy things I witnessed last night at the game:

1) Smush Parker is absolutely worthless, and it's even more obvious in person. My friends who don't know shit about basketball even said "Why does he keep running to that corner where he gets trapped? That's not smart! And why does he keep losing the ball?"

2) This team is worthless without Wade, largely because Shaq isn't good enough anymore to score from multiple spots and nobody knows how to get him the ball at the right time and place.

3) Mark Blount. WTF.

4) Even I noticed that Smush wasn't listening to Riley :lol

5) Parker and Ginobili are pretty damn good.

Anyways, I'm not surprised the Heat are 0-4 either. If you were missing your best player who does everything for the team I'd expect you to lose too.

More surprised at the Bulls major suckage though.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Blackace said:
:lol As a franchise I never liked the celtics. But everyone bagging the big three when they traded for Ray and KG seemed like they were doing it because it was the in thing to do. And now that they are smashing teams people have become a bit quiet... like I said I am still waiting for the same people to turn around and start saying "I knew they'd be good, how couldn't they be?" or "I told you Doc Rivers was a great coach! ":lol

Because that is how it happens

Hey, I like Tom Brady. I don't hate Boston just to hate Boston. Besides, I'm not hating on them, I just don't think their key 3 guys will keep healthy to get to the Finals.

If saying that they are a deep playoff team is hating, then, I guess I am :lol

Plus, karma is going to bite all the Celtics fans in the ass - you know, the same one that chanted "K*be for MVP" during home-games. I can't support that.

Gigglepoo

Jesus! I didn't realize Shaq was still signed for the next three years, at $60 million. That's ridiculous. Not that he's done now, but I can't imagine he'll be very effective the next two seasons. Ouch, the Heat are not in a great position right now.

reilo

Gigglepoo said:
Jesus! I didn't realize Shaq was still signed for the next three years, at $60 million. That's ridiculous. Not that he's done now, but I can't imagine he'll be very effective the next two seasons. Ouch, the Heat are not in a great position right now.

And he took less money when he signed that extension, too!

Miami offered him $120mil, he only took $100mil.

Gigglepoo

reilo said:
And he took less money when he signed that extension, too!

Miami offered him $120mil, he only took $100mil.

Honestly, Miami could suck for the next decade and it would be worth it (for their fans) because they got a ring. But general managers really have to understand the cap and the future. Well run teams do not mortgage their future for a chance to win. Maimi and Phoenix (especially the Suns) will be awful in the coming years.

Gigglepoo said:
Honestly, Miami could suck for the next decade and it would be worth it (for their fans) because they got a ring. But general managers really have to understand the cap and the future. Well run teams do not mortgage their future for a chance to win. Maimi and Phoenix (especially the Suns) will be awful in the coming years.
If Wade is anything like Kobe Bryant, in terms of drive and will to win, he will not be content to win A ring. If the Heat don't build around him quickly once Shaq leaves, you could see him in a similar position to Kobe in a few years, demanding a trade.

reilo

GitarooMan said:
That brings backs memories of going to Celtics games and thinking the same, guy is one of the worst rebounders I've ever seen at his size.

eddy.curry.jpg

bionic77

pheeniks said:
So here are a few noteworthy things I witnessed last night at the game:

1) Smush Parker is absolutely worthless, and it's even more obvious in person. My friends who don't know shit about basketball even said "Why does he keep running to that corner where he gets trapped? That's not smart! And why does he keep losing the ball?"
We have been telling you for this how long?

Karakand

PhoenixDark said:
They've won 2 games, and barely won another. I still expect the Bulls to finish ahead of them, believe.
This is like rooting for Red China over the USSR.

Let's go Pistons and / or Pacers!

bionic77 said:
We have been telling you for this how long?
Smush Parker Spectators Anonymous

I3rand0

ryutaro's mama said:
If Wade is anything like Kobe Bryant, in terms of drive and will to win, he will not be content to win A ring. If the Heat don't build around him quickly once Shaq leaves, you could see him in a similar position to Kobe in a few years, demanding a trade.

Both LeBron James and Dwayne Wade are only signed through the 2009/10 season. Each having a player option for one more year.

What does that mean? Means that after the 2009/10 season, each could opt out of their deals and not only become free agents, but attempt to find a team that could sign them together. A very savvy move by both Wade and Lebron (who are good friends), and their agents. Particularly when both parties recognized (at the time) that they're playing under incompetent ownership, and that the chances of either franchise (Cavs/Heat) being able to build successful teams around them being very...very slim.

Gigglepoo

I3rand0 said:
Means that after the 2009/10 season, each could opt out of their deals and not only become free agents, but attempt to find a team that could sign them together.

LeBron wouldn't like being the second best player on his own team.

Karakand said:
I'm drinking the Kool-Aid and throwing the half-full cup at Ron Artest!

Ha! Nice one. It seems I can't escape from this madman. When I lived in Chicago, he was a couple hours away in Indianapolis. Now I live out West and he's even closer! And Steven Jackson is probably less than a half hour away! I'm surrounded!

I3rand0 said:
Both LeBron James and Dwayne Wade are only signed through the 2009/10 season. Each having a player option for one more year.

What does that mean? Means that after the 2009/10 season, each could opt out of their deals and not only become free agents, but attempt to find a team that could sign them together. A very savvy move by both Wade and Lebron (who are good friends), and their agents. Particularly when both parties recognized (at the time) that they're playing under incompetent ownership, and that the chances of either franchise (Cavs/Heat) being able to build successful teams around them being very...very slim.

I think the idea of signing a shorter deal is all Lebron and his business people...something related to the next CBA, and them being able to secure more money, than being tied up in a long term dea;, with the possibility of a franchise going nowhere...and the possibility of going to Brooklyn(when, not if)

Other players from that draft class are following his lead

I3rand0

Gigglepoo said:
LeBron wouldn't like being the second best player on his own team.

I disagree. He's already had a few seasons under his belt of being "the man", without being able to produce a championship. Couple that with the fact they're both friends -- I'd say it's a very realistic possibility that both would welcome playing together.

Not to mention that if they're in fact on the same team, I'd say the majority of players/fans would still recognize him as the better player.

Karakand

I3rand0 said:
I disagree. He's already had a few seasons under his belt of being "the man", without being able to produce a championship. Couple that with the fact they're both friends -- I'd say it's a very realistic possibility that both would welcome playing together.
Playing with another star means LeBroom can keep being lazy in the summer and not improving his game, which I'm sure he'd love.

Kak.efes

Bargnani's been benched. The Bosh/Bargs experiment has failed. Nesterovich starts tomorrow.

You can add Bosh to the list of '03 draftees with a player option for 10/11. I think Carmelo is the only one who opted to sign for the full extension in Denver.

Gigglepoo

Karakand said:
Playing with another star means LeBroom can keep being lazy in the summer and not improving his game, which I'm sure he'd love.

Ugh, tell me about it. LeBron just infuriates me. He should be much, much better than he is. His passing skills and vision have actually regressed considerably since his rookie year. He still can't shoot and his only legitimate offensive move is hurtling himself towards the basket. A wonderful talent gone to seed.

I'd love to build my team around Wade, though. He has heart that LeBron will never understand.

Karakand

Gigglepoo said:
Ugh, tell me about it. LeBron just infuriates me. He should be much, much better than he is. His passing skills and vision have actually regressed considerably since his rookie year. He still can't shoot and his only legitimate offensive move is hurtling himself towards the basket. A wonderful talent gone to seed.

I'd love to build my team around Wade, though. He has heart that LeBron will never understand.
This is why I hate the Association hype machine for making guys into superstars before they've done jack shit, it goes straight to their head.

Once again, self-professed Oden hater but in college when his hand was fubared he actually went out and learned how to shoot free throws a different way. Could anyone see Viscount James doing that?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Karakand said:
He has important things to do like bring hammer pants back into fashion

Branduil

Karakand said:
Well the Cavaliers are letting him off the hook by following his lead and doing nothing during the summer to improve their team.

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
They've won 2 games, and barely won another. I still expect the Bulls to finish ahead of them, believe.

you are hoping they do! :lol

Blackace said:
you are hoping they do! :lol

I forgot how long the ban was, what 1 month?

I was watching PTI earlier and Tony basically summed it up well. Right now they team is really riding off pure adrenaline. Once things cool down the team will be exposed due to players 4 through 12.

Gigglepoo

PhoenixDark said:
I forgot how long the ban was, what 1 month?

I was watching PTI earlier and Tony basically summed it up well. Right now they team is really riding off pure adrenaline. Once things cool down the team will be exposed due to players 4 through 12.

Yeah, but the Bulls are in a harder division. They certainly won't coast to a better record.

Gigglepoo said:
Yeah, but the Bulls are in a harder division. They certainly won't coast to a better record.

You're right, definitely. The Bulls are looking quite shitty right now, but once everyone gets healthy and they settle down I expect great things.

1. Pistons
2. Orlando
3. Chicago
4. Boston

Believe

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
You're right, definitely. The Bulls are looking quite shitty right now, but once everyone gets healthy and they settle down I expect great things.

1. Pistons
2. Orlando
3. Chicago
4. Boston

Believe
Oralndo at 2? wow..

Rondo is playing good ball for beantown..

Blackace said:
Oralndo at 2? wow..

Rondo is playing good ball for beantown..

I'm not exactly sold on Orlando, but I have a feeling that Howard is going to explode this year. He's already killing the boards like a madman.

Pistons are still the best team in the east until proven otherwise imo. I like NJ, but I doubt they'll stay healthy.

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
I'm not exactly sold on Orlando, but I have a feeling that Howard is going to explode this year. He's already killing the boards like a madman.

Pistons are still the best team in the east until proven otherwise imo. I like NJ, but I doubt they'll stay healthy.

Howard has always been a beast on the glass... if he gets a little touch in his offensive game then Orlando has a chance. But everyone on the team tends not show up in too many games...

Pistions are the deepest team for sure!

Yea the Pistons are pretty deep. Jason Maxiell is a total beast, and I'm glad Flip is giving him more minutes this year. But damn, living in Michigan is hard because diehard Pistons fans are freaking annoying. You know the fanbase is full of homers when scores of people call into local sports stations and say they would straight up trade Rasheed for Duncan because Sheed "can shoot tha 3!":lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jeff-DSA said:
Centerville, actually. But yeah, it was an awesome game last night!

Ha well to be precise I live in Bountiful, cause thats where EA is at and I can just walk to work, makes life easier.

Gonna try to go watch some games this year though, any tips? Am I better off buying a ticket package?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I3rand0 said:

That's the year the wolves are basically designing all of their cap space around....

:O

PhoenixDark said:
Yea the Pistons are pretty deep. Jason Maxiell is a total beast, and I'm glad Flip is giving him more minutes this year. But damn, living in Michigan is hard because diehard Pistons fans are freaking annoying. You know the fanbase is full of homers when scores of people call into local sports stations and say they wouldn't straight up trade Rasheed for Duncan because Sheed "can shoot tha 3!":lol

Pistons basketball is boring enough without Duncan snoozing up the place.

Karakand

GaimeGuy said:
That's the year the wolves are basically designing all of their cap space around....

:O
If the Lakers are smart that's the season they'll have major cap space as well.

Minneapolis vs. Los Angeles for free agents...

I3rand0

Karakand said:

Imo if there were any team potentially "setting themselves up" for that free agency period it would be the Sacramento Kings.

Maloofs + Wade + Bron = ....

reilo

Karakand said:

Kupchak versus McHale.

:lol

reilo

Karakand said:
It's like Alien vs. Predator, whoever wins we lose.

That was my joke in a "Hilary or Giuliani?" thread.

.... which prompted JayDubya to question which one would be the Alien and which one was the Predator. PoliGAF is a weird place.

Karakand

reilo said:
That was my joke in a "Hilary or Giuliani?" thread.

.... which prompted JayDubya to question which one would be the Alien and which one was the Predator. PoliGAF is a weird place.
N

E

R

D

Hill-Dawg = Predator 'cause of the hair. Giuliani = Alien because the mayor of New York is just a drone in a hive of corruption.

reilo

Karakand said:
N

E

R

D

Hill-Dawg = Predator 'cause of the hair. Giuliani = Alien because the mayor of New York is just a drone in a hive of corruption.

Actually, the explanation and debate was more about the fact that Predator's are loner individuals and put self-preservation above anything else, while Aliens are hive-collective beings that fight in groups.

Yeah...

:lol

Karakand

I would have sex with a Predalien before I had sex with Hillarity... so she's the Human-Alien hybrid things from Resurrection.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Tyrus Thomas Ballin'

I told you guys! I told you ALL! He's got all the skills and he is starting to put it together

reilo

ColdBlooded33 said:
Tyrus Thomas Ballin'

I told you guys! I told you ALL! He's got all the skills and he is starting to put it together

28mpg
8ppg
7rpg
40FG%
41FT% [:lol]
2BPG

Basically, he's only twice as good as Ben Wallace this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom