• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black Season 4 |OT| Paul Free Since 2015 – Thursdays at 9/10c on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked season 3, but this one is so much better so far. It was great to finally get some more information regarding Helsinki and MK's background. Also, I thought it was hilarious when Donnie was pretending to be Felix's husband.

Dereck

Yeah, this is why earlier I was saying that I wasn't sure whether or not I considered Mika a good guy.

So far it seems as though she's on her own side.

EDIT: I don't really know.

Yeah, this is why earlier I was saying that I wasn't sure whether or not I considered Mika a good guy.

So far it seems as though she's on her own side.

EDIT: I don't really know.
My definition of good guy on this show is not out to hurt our good guys. So in my books she's a good guy. But she's definitely not on the team so far.

dLMN8R

OMG the transitions to/from scenes with Dr. Leekie's implant were hilariously brilliant! Especially when it went from Donnie in the room to Cosima cutting open the tumor.

Dereck

CnN373H.gif

KarmaCow

Please someone tell me they have a gif of Felix giving Donnie the wtf face.

Also was it ever explained why they started killing off clones? I remember it being the driving mystery in season 1 but I must have forgotten it.

next episode teaser
Was that Krystal at the end there training? :eek:

Also was it ever explained why they started killing off clones? I remember it being the driving mystery in season 1 but I must have forgotten it.
In season 1 Helena was the one killing clones, cause religious nuts made her think she was the original and needed to eliminate her copies to be whole. Although Cosima did bring up the possibility that those in charge of the project might decide termination is the best option if the test subjects became self aware.

At the start of season 3 we find out Rachel was trying to kill off the clones at the end of Season 2, just cause he could really. Power over them is the only thing she had in her life. And cause Rachel is the worst. And there's precedence for doing it.

Cause Helsinki was the precedence. Helsinki hasn't really been detailed on the show outside of the body count. But that group of clones were going to expose the program after monitor issues and abduction attempts had them thinking being public would be the safest option. The added detail that may or may not be canon on the show is that
Rachel not only knew, but had a hand in swaying Ferdinand in pushing the Helsinki purge cause Veera/MK/Mika is the founding member of Rachel's shit list since the age of 6.
They did mention the connection between the two clones in a feature during the after show, so they may use some of it.

next episode teaser
Was that Krystal at the end there training? :eek:
Yeah, I think she's sick of being the victim all the time.

Unfortunately they just added season 3 to prime a month ago, so if you're waiting for it to hit prime you'll have to wait until around this time next year.

You can watch the season 4 premiere on their website for free, but the other episodes require logging into a cable account that already receives BBC America. http://www.bbcamerica.com/full-episodes
They just put the first four episodes up on their youtube channel today. Not sure about region-locking and the like, but that's another option.

In retrospect Sarah is really lucky that rock she threw through the window didn't get caught up on the blinds and fall straight down.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In retrospect Sarah is really lucky that rock she threw through the window didn't get caught up on the blinds and fall straight down.
That Sarah continued to open her drawers and mess with her stuff after that was a bit eeeeh. I wouldn't poke anything in that trailer with a selfie stick.

Other than that, another great episode.

Saty

Cringe-worthy ejaculation scene
More time-waster filler Helena scenes (don't tell me they'll have to track her down again)
M.K. only now suddenly cracks who Ferdinand is (how the fuck did the USB with Rachel's message help in finding his picture etc.?)
Don't think i like how this pregnancy procedure eluded our gang all this time when it's basically a Dyad branch.

I'll be dropping the show. Only question is if i'm going to power through this season. Can we just have a clone show and focus on finding a cure w\o turning it into a convoluted thing which i lost track of ages ago? It feels like the show has circled itself a bunch of laps and this season it went to the starting point to reveal we knew nothing and that there was an entire story there as well.

Sarah has become, how shall I put this... a real asshole. At least Ferdinand feels like someone you could have a beer with, you know, despite all the murdering and whatnot. But Sarah just has no compassion for anyone and yet takes everyone for granted. And is just sort of a miserable person. She was always salty, but she's just been insufferable this season, even before finding out about the parasite in her.

I felt something was off about Helena all season, seemed distant. But to just pack up and leave? What the hell, you're six months pregnant. And where is her boyfriend, the one Donnie went to the trouble of tracking down for her last season? Love 'em and leave 'em, eh Helena?

Mika is serious business.

I mean, I guess if one of our clones had their sistras and family and friends were all murdered and the secret cabal was still trying to kill you, I guess any of our clones wouldn't deal with it so well either..

I couldn't tell during that beat if it was Felix smiling or Jordan trying not to laugh. I'm cool with either.

dead aldous is the greatest worst thing ever

I wonder if Matt Frewer gets residuals every time his head appears.

Dereck

Cringe-worthy ejaculation scene
More time-waster filler Helena scenes (don't tell me they'll have to track her down again)
M.K. only now suddenly cracks who Ferdinand is (how the fuck did the USB with Rachel's message help in finding his picture etc.?)
Don't think i like how this pregnancy procedure eluded our gang all this time when it's basically a Dyad branch.

I'll be dropping the show. Only question is if i'm going to power through this season. Can we just have a clone show and focus on finding a cure w\o turning it into a convoluted thing which i lost track of ages ago? It feels like the show has circled itself a bunch of laps and this season it went to the starting point to reveal we knew nothing and that there was an entire story there as well.
I agree with this. While watching this show I can't tell how much of my confusion comes from me never reading anything about the story and not really paying that much attention or from the show being bad at explaining itself.

What you're talking about is something that I mentally dropped around the end of season 3. Just based off of the show by itself, I'm getting hints that the people behind the story don't have a clear end point in mind and are just going with the flow. For the viewers who want closure this could be troublesome. The show kind of meanders and like I've said before I'm not sure which parts of the show I should be caring about.

I mean you could take the perspective that the main plot line right now involves Sarah and Rachel and everyone else are parts of secondary plot lines who momentarily help out and fade in and out of relevance. For me though, I don't really think it matters at this point and since I'm enjoying the show based off of Tatiana alone, I figure that I'd rather just let all of that stuff go and watch anyway.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm not sure where you guys are coming from. Season 4 has a real 'back to basics' feel about it, compared to the convoluted season 3.

Dereck

The point I'm agreeing with is when he said that the show went to the starting point only to reveal more story. Now that Mika is in the picture sometimes the show has do some clone management which makes it confusing on which ones it wants me to care about. So Sarah has a worm in her cheek which has presumably been there since a few seasons ago which has just been revealed along with a new clone that has been relevant since season 1 but we didn't know about until now. While this season has less stuff going on, the introduction of stuff from chronologically before season 1 kind of throws things off a little. It's a neat strategy they took to mitigate some of the chaos from season 2 and 3 so I'm not against it at all.

I just don't find it really that confusing. The show is subtle in how it handles the storylines and I guess that could be a issue for some but even then if you are actually paying attention that should not be a problem. I didn't even have much of an issue with season three.

It screams of people not paying attention or being pissed with unconventional story telling. Like others being shocked at the Castor clones or Kira being next level. I dunno maybe I am psychic..

That and there's always been an ending planned too.

Dereck

I just don't find it really that confusing. The show is subtle in how it handles the storylines and I guess that could be a issue for some but even then if you are actually paying attention that should not be a problem. I didn't even have much of an issue with season three.

It screams of people not paying attention or being pissed with unconventional story telling. Like others being shocked at the Castor clones or Kira being next level. I dunno maybe I am psychic..

That and there's always been an ending planned too.
Yeah, I'm just really
Spr_5b_080.png

Quick

Banned
So much shit going down.

I tried to gif the Donnie/Helena fist bump but the file ended up too big and I was too lazy to run it through Jasc to lower the size lol.

I really hope they don't completely write out Helena, but she's definitely non-essential right now.

KarmaCow

In season 1 Helena was the one killing clones, cause religious nuts made her think she was the original and needed to eliminate her copies to be whole. Although Cosima did bring up the possibility that those in charge of the project might decide termination is the best option if the test subjects became self aware.

At the start of season 3 we find out Rachel was trying to kill off the clones at the end of Season 2, just cause he could really. Power over them is the only thing she had in her life. And cause Rachel is the worst. And there's precedence for doing it.

Cause Helsinki was the precedence. Helsinki hasn't really been detailed on the show outside of the body count. But that group of clones were going to expose the program after monitor issues and abduction attempts had them thinking being public would be the safest option. The added detail that may or may not be canon on the show is that
Rachel not only knew, but had a hand in swaying Ferdinand in pushing the Helsinki purge cause Veera/MK/Mika is the founding member of Rachel's shit list since the age of 6.
They did mention the connection between the two clones in a feature during the after show, so they may use some of it.

Yeah, I think she's sick of being the victim all the time.

Ah right, there is just so much garbage built up on something that clearly wasn't planned to support it.

Thanks! I love the show for moments like that.

I really hope they don't completely write out Helena, but she's definitely non-essential right now.

I think they wrote her out because they have too many clones in the club to deal with right now. But I don't really like the way they did it. Felt really arbitrary. She's my favorite clone and I'd rather see the Hendrix clan fade out for a while than her.

Quick

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/0XXkCOU.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0XXkCOU.gif

I think they wrote her out because they have too many clones in the club to deal with right now. But I don't really like the way they did it. Felt really arbitrary. She's my favorite clone and I'd rather see the Hendrix clan fade out for a while than her.

Yeah, I figured. And I guess I should have seen it coming with how little Helena has been featured this season.

That little burial she did of the tank was pretty sad, considering how attached she was to it. End of an era.

dLMN8R

I didn't get the Helena thing at the end. Why did she bury the container? Just so no one else can get their hands on them?

I didn't get the Helena thing at the end. Why did she bury the container? Just so no one else can get their hands on them?

She said herself, during the scene mind you... that she forgot to up the nitrogen on the tank.

Babies are dead.

I guess people don't pay as much attention as I do... :/

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
She's been a jerk since day one.

Let's not forget that she was introduced as stranded from Felix and hating her foster mother's guts.

Cool. It's not that I wasn't paying attention, I simply didn't understand what she said.

I'm not really accusing you or anyone else really for that matter directly of anything, but it seems the overwhelming sentiment with this show is, "Oh I missed that so it can't possibly be a thing." Or, "I don't understand, it's too hard to figure out. There's so much shit going on." Which is kind of aggravating when the answers are there and the show runners actually have a game plan. Each episode really does deserve a re watch, maybe even two because this show is fucking clever as fuck.

dLMN8R

And sometimes it's just OK to fault a show for not being clear on something. For example, because of a difficult to understand accent combined with more complex words like "liquid nitrogen".

I'm not really accusing you or anyone else really for that matter directly of anything, but it seems the overwhelming sentiment with this show is, "Oh I missed that so it can't possibly be a thing." Or, "I don't understand, it's too hard to figure out. There's so much shit going on." Which is kind of aggravating when the answers are there and the show runners actually have a game plan. Each episode really does deserve a re watch, maybe even two because this show is fucking clever as fuck.

FWIW I didn't understand what Helena was saying, either.

Side rant: The problem is there's so many plotlines going on right now that two major events – Helena leaving and Helena losing her bebbies – was relegated to a rushed 20 second scene. Both of those deserved more than that, but too often they use Helena either as comic relief or "oh there's that silly Helena again doing her silly stuff". Yes, Tatiana because she's brilliant still fit the emotional beats of those events into a short little space, but the writers often do a disservice to the character.

FWIW I didn't understand what Helena was saying, either.

Side rant: The problem is there's so many plotlines going on right now that two major events – Helena leaving and Helena losing her bebbies – was relegated to a rushed 20 second scene. Both of those deserved more than that, but too often they use Helena either as comic relief or "oh there's that silly Helena again doing her silly stuff". Yes, Tatiana because she's brilliant still fit the emotional beats of those events into a short little space, but the writers often do a disservice to the character.

Part of that I suspect is that when dealing with a character like Helena you can only go so many directions to make her easy to stomach. She is an actual assassin and in order to humanize her they focus on her with comedy. Then you have a real moment like that and it seems overshadowed by a sense of humor. That makes it difficult to portray her properly is my suspicion of the disconnect. But given how much I LOVE her I always make sure I pick up everything she says AND means, even if it means rewatching a scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom