• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch twitter puts up teaser for new hero (biotic sniper, presumably Sombra)

Phu

Banned
Yeah but no ability to scope on a hero with a gun that has a sniper scope?

I think the heal is going to be a AOE thing like Soldier 76's canister that can be fired at a distance. Blizzard seems to like their hybrid healers that do the "boring" supportive stuff semi passively and asking support players to be greatly skilled at accuracy to heal their team well doesn't seem ancillary to Overwatch's hero design ethos.

I hope it's an AOE thing, especially if the other team has a sniper or two, you don't want your own team mates inadvertently making it harder for you to hit them as well. Could be like 76's heal or a healing version of Hanzo's sonar.

Why would her skins be unlocked?

Maybe he thinks these characters are DLC?

Very excited to see what blizzard plans to do for her. Wouldn't be surprised if some people in here hit the nail on the head with their guesses.

Maybe when she's scoped in, any friendlies she can see get healing.

Kyzon

Why would her skins be unlocked?

More than likely, her default outfit will be available from the get-go, while her alternative costumes, POTG poses, emotes, & spray stamps will be unlocked through the usual channels.

I don't even have half of the skins, and the majority of my lootbox prizes are duplicate skins. So I was just wondering. I can't remember off the bat, but I've played some games where the DLC comes with everything unlocked.

Maybe he thinks these characters are DLC?
It is. Just Free DLC

I don't even have half of the skins, and the majority of my lootbox prizes are duplicate skins. So I was just wondering. I can't remember off the bat, but I've played some games where the DLC comes with everything unlocked.

It is. Just Free DLC

I can't source it but I recall Kaplan saying that newer skins (which I assume includes new character's skins) will be in a DIFFERENT series of loot box, so you won't be unlocking Sombra skins in the loot boxes we currently use.

I'd assume gold doesn't have a "series"

maouvin

It is. Just Free DLC

DLCs are purchased, even the free ones - you "claim" them. New OW characters and maps won't work like that. Your game will be updated and they'll be there and that's it.
Calling her DLC is like calling the competitive mode a DLC.

abundant

DLCs are purchased, even the free ones - you "claim" them. New OW characters and maps won't work like that. Your game will be updated and they'll be there and that's it.
Calling her DLC is like calling the competitive mode a DLC.
Uh, you had to download the competitive mode, just like you will have to download new heroes.

ramyeon

Uh, you had to download the competitive mode, just like you will have to download new heroes.
DLC is different. For example on PS4 DLC is downloaded through the PSN store after being purchased (Even if it's free you have to click BUY and add it to your account). DLC is also optional, meaning not everyone has to have it.

Competitive Mode, and all additions to Overwatch, are being patched in. They are compulsory updates. Not DLC.

Phu

Banned

You didn't elect to download it and were given access immediately. It's an update, of course you had to download it, it wouldn't magically just be on your computer already.

I'm not sure if a healing sniper is the worst or best idea ever.

On the one hand, it's great because it forces the people looking to snipe and show off their l33t skills to actually be useful to the team.

On the other hand, the people who seek to do that stupid shit are more often than not godawful snipers (hence how useless they are) and probably won't be much help anyways.

abundant

DLC is different. For example on PS4 DLC is downloaded through the PSN store after being purchased (Even if it's free you have to click BUY and add it to your account). DLC is also optional, meaning not everyone has to have it.

Competitive Mode, and all additions to Overwatch, are being patched in. They are compulsory updates. Not DLC.
Talk about splitting hairs. If it is new content that you have to download, then it is DLC.

Syntax

I'm not sure if a healing sniper is the worst or best idea ever.

On the one hand, it's great because it forces the people looking to snipe and show off their l33t skills to actually be useful to the team.

On the other hand, the people who seek to do that stupid shit are more often than not godawful snipers (hence how useless they are) and probably won't be much help anyways.

2907.png

I think it's just to get players that only want to snipe to, hopefully, choose support from time to time.

In practice, I'm sure this will not move those players away from Widow or Hanzo, but instead push support players into sniping. Which is just going to make me all kind of rage when my team has at least one of each sniper.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
would have thought they would have just added the character already, drip feed of content in this game is crazy...

Who ever bet that dude in one of the overwatch threads there would be at least 2 maps and 2 heroes (or something like that) by September should start to worry.

I think it's just to get players that only want to snipe to, hopefully, choose support from time to time.

In practice, I'm sure this will not move those players away from Widow or Hanzo, but instead push support players into sniping. Which is just going to make me all kind of rage when my team has at least one of each sniper.
Yep. That's what I expect.

*Sees Widow, Hanzo, Sombra on team-select screen
*I quit game

ramyeon

You just know everyone is going to be playing Sombra for the first week or two.

I fully expect at least 2 if not 3 Sombra per team in Quick Play.

It'll be amazing to have 2 Snipers on my teams at all times now.

I don't see this working out at all. The crowd that likes sniping has little to no interest in supporting their team. All they care about is getting killstreaks.

All I see from this is 4v6 handicaps now.

Son Of D

I can't source it but I recall Kaplan saying that newer skins (which I assume includes new character's skins) will be in a DIFFERENT series of loot box, so you won't be unlocking Sombra skins in the loot boxes we currently use.

I'd assume gold doesn't have a "series"

I know he said that boxes you get before the update won't include any content for future heroes and skins since the items inside boxes are determined when you get the level up/buy the pack. So saving them for skin/hero updates won't get you anything that was added.

abundant

So every patch a game gets is DLC too?

That's not what DLC is. It's not splitting hairs, they're just different things.
If the patch adds new, substantial content, then yes, it is DLC. It doesn't matter if you have to claim it or if it is mandatory.

I don't really think Overwatch needs another sniper class.

I would love to see a spy class that could mess Torbjorn's turrets up. I mean they already took a lot of straight from TF2 might as well go all the way.

BokehKing

Banned
Idk I don't like sniper heals, I was really hoping they would make a healer like the medic from Resistance 2 co-op (god I was in love with that game mode, little reward but so much fun)

Am I the only person that doesn't get funneled into groups that are always all Hanzo/Widow? I mean I get into shitty groups but it's more a lack of teamwork than someone picking Widow/Hanzo on Attack or whatever.

I am amused though that people are already not liking this despite Blizzard just showing a basic concept of a rifle without anyone knowing the mechanics behind it or the character and such. It's neat and I'm excited to see how Sombra ends up and I'll find more concrete shit about her to bitch about when she comes out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I don't really think Overwatch needs another sniper class.

I would love to see a spy class that could mess Torbjorn's turrets up. I mean they already took a lot of straight from TF2 might as well go all the way.

I hope Sombras main attack fires small missiles straight up in the air which immediately home in on Torbjorn and his turret no matter where they are on the map.

I imagine the first few weeks of a new hero will be frustrating as everyone wants to play them.

This is honestly the one thing I'm not looking forward to. I have essentially forced myself to main both Lucio and Mercy because I got tired of people not switching, so when I naturally want to learn the new support character, everyone will be picking them lol. I'll use that week to finally play as Genji.

ramyeon

How is he wrong? DLC literally stands for downloadable content. Free or not, if it isn't on the game disc and you have to download it, it is DLC.
Compulsory updates to the game delivered through patches are different to optional DLC downloaded through a storefront. You're taking the term DLC way too literally.

Kyzon

You can keep saying this, but it doesn't make you right.

DLC = Downloadable Content. You download this, so it is DLC. Doesn't matter if they avoid using the word or something, or out it in mandatory patches . It's literally Downloadable Content (DLC)

ramyeon

DLC = Downloadable Content. You download this, so it is DLC. Doesn't matter if they avoid using the word or something, or out it in mandatory patches . It's literally Downloadable Content (DLC)
Once again you are taking the term DLC way too literally. DLC refers to optional content for a game offered through a storefront and more often than not paid but sometimes offered for free. Even if it is offered for free it has to be redeemed and downloaded through said storefont.

Patches and updates are compulsory changes made to a game whether they be small changes like bug fixes or more major changes like the addition of competitive mode or a new character to the roster. These are delivered via OTA patches pushed to the systems of everyone who owns the game.

To take the comment of another poster earlier - you're saying that even bug fix patches are DLC which is ridiculous.

That's what it stands for, but it isn't the way the word is used or defined by the gaming community. It is a different thing than a patch.

Blues1990

Am I the only person that doesn't get funneled into groups that are always all Hanzo/Widow? I mean I get into shitty groups but it's more a lack of teamwork than someone picking Widow/Hanzo on Attack or whatever.

I am amused though that people are already not liking this despite Blizzard just showing a basic concept of a rifle without anyone knowing the mechanics behind it or the character and such. It's neat and I'm excited to see how Sombra ends up and I'll find more concrete shit about her to bitch about when she comes out.

I have to agree. I'm usually paired up with players who know their stuff, and outside from the new player or two trying their best & learning, I rarely come across the dullards that ruin group synergy or are sniper hungry. What I do come across, however, are the players that keep yelling at me/tossing death threats in my vincinity, simply for what character that I play as.

I want to know more about the new Hero, as a sniper support class sounds incredibly awesome.

Top Bottom