• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread 2 - This may literally make you sick

DaNcaKe

Spare beta key/1 month PS + for a US user.
You need a CC to redeem. I'm in the UK so I'm ruled out :(

First to quote gets it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
X05/X05Atun/Uruguay

Got this the other day, some fun times with the first match playing against some random kid yelling "suck my cock", and other that rage quitted because I won, lol

God, flickr is so goddamn backwards... I think it's impossible to grab links of stuff off your account via the Vita, even though you can upload stuff to it directly from the Vita. Anyway, I think I'm starting to finally get the hang of really abusing Radec's supers to rack up kills quickly:

8105858512_1d6dbf3fd0_b.jpg

Kurod

Banned
Goddamn FFA seems like a clusterfuck of Kratos's flipping out and hitting level 3. Every time I get close enough to throw or get close to an RPG or Spear of Destiny I get more chains of chaos in my back shooting me to the other side of the screen.

Archon473

General notes:
+ Hold Block to stay on the ground after being knocked down
+ Rocket Launcher can be fired vertically
- Spear of Destiny is unblockable (I was hit out of Block by it today)

Radec notes:
+ Level 2 Super grants invulnerability on start-up but can be jumped (or roll behind Radec if you're close)
+ Forward Circle Shock Grenade combos into Level 1 on hit if you're close enough, but good luck with that
- Up Square may as well not hit airborne opponents, it's hitbox is so small
- Grenades via Down Square, Down Triangle, and Forward Circle are time release; they do not explode on contact
- It is not possible to double jump after jumping and firing Neutral Triangle
- Forward Circle Shock Grenade has identical aerial and ground arc; I have no idea how I was getting long arcs last night, it may have to do with short hopping and throwing Shock Grenades
- Down Circle Flamethrower has a ton of startup; A Sly player came at me with his bounding cane swipe and hit me out of the animation even as the Flamethrower was lit and beginning to fire.
- Down Circle Flamethrower may have a disjointed hitbox. I had cornered a Sweet Tooth and rolled behind him, putting myself in the corner directly adjacent to him. As I fired the Flamethrower, the flame went through him without damaging him. He turned toward me and hit me interrupting my attack. He was not flashing as if he had exited hitstun and possessed any sort of invulnerability
- I'm at a loss for how to combo off Upward Throw

I witnessed a ton of messed up things this afternoon which may have been online-related (Players in most matches were warping all over the place). I hit someone with the initial punch of Radec's Forward Square only to have them interrupt me as I was pulling out my shotgun to fire. Rolls may have start-up vulnerability because I was hit out of beginning to roll plenty of times, and was KOed by Sly's Level 2 trying to roll out from under a bomb (I've previously dodged his Level 2 with ease; this one hit me as I started to roll). Rolls are vulnerable as they recover, but I would imagine they'd have invulnerability on start-up. Also, I fought a 1v1 match against a Sly player who destroyed me. Because Radec's grenades do not explode on contact and all hs other guns have long start-up, there was nothing for me to do. Roll around an attack? Sly can turn and swing again. Blocking and punishing with Neutral Square was the best I could manage. I thought Flamethrower was Radec's decent melee option but that seems to have long start-up. I may play later and see if I get better connections to put some of these issues to rest.

Lord Phol

Any EU codes for a poor ps3 user who doesn't get paid until next week? :c
I just watched the "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Stage Demo - EB Expo 2012 " and there's just not enough paper rolls in this house left to wipe off all the drool D:

Grokbu

Don't think I'll hit that rank with Fat Princess though. I can't use her to save my life.
Uhh, what? I thought 40 was the highest you could get? It always stops at 40 for me, and I have to start over everytime I quit the game.

Playing Parappa on Vita if any of that matters.

Loudninja

Any EU codes for a poor ps3 user who doesn't get paid until next week? :c
I just watched the "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Stage Demo - EB Expo 2012 " and there's just not enough paper rolls in this house left to wipe off all the drool D:
Well the beta is free on October 23rd :)

Destroyed 2 Radec sniper spammers as Sweet Tooth but they both got level 3s which forced it into overtime.

Dominated in that and they rage quit. ^^ Unus-1 and mikelo147.

5amshift

Banned
Uhh, what? I thought 40 was the highest you could get? It always stops at 40 for me, and I have to start over everytime I quit the game.

Playing Parappa on Vita if any of that matters.

Nope a friend and I played and hit over 130+ 2 nights ago on PS3. It must be the Vita version that won't go higher.

Grokbu

Destroyed 2 Radec sniper spammers as Sweet Tooth but they both got level 3s which forced it into overtime.

Dominated in that and they rage quit. ^^
Not sure if that's what happened, but overtime almost always ends in a connection lost for me, not because of disconnects.
Nope a friend and I played and hit over 130+ 2 nights ago on PS3. It must be the Vita version that won't go higher.
Huh, ok that's weird, thanks. I assume it's some sort of glitch.

Wait so... there's ranks already? I usually only play a match or two every once in awhile so I guess I never noticed it. Does it do anything other than match up similar skilled players?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just some updated impressions, after more co-op play:

- I see a lot more "Proper" Matches on PS3 now. Less "After load, 2 character are missing" stuff. Seems the matchmaking works much smoother when fighting 2 people on the same console; much less chances for drops / misloads / glitches.

- I do like the long staggers and open-ended nature of the system, more and more. It does not feel unfair, it just feels like you have to know your timing. No one seems truly underpowered. It's not 100% intuative to combo in some ways, but it'll be moreso, as we learn the game.

- Still, some things do not feel right to me, from a natural fighter fan standpoint. The lingering "attack" leftover boxes on some moves; The fact that rolls & super attacks almost seem created on a wholy different timetable, and the fact that some characters get so much utility with lvl 1 supers (Like Radec being able to heatseek, multi-kill, target, and hold onto it for trickery, or Kratos and Sly getting super armor on aspects of their lvl 1s), while others seem to get very little (Parappa's lvl 1 misses many characters point-blank, Fat P's Lvl 1 seems to have no extra utility; would be nice if eating cake gave her AP or something)

- 2 vs 2 really is the best way to play (so far). It's like co-op in Smash, but with a bit more defined ruleset; I think this helps make it a bit more tactical, in some ways? Some of the moves seem very well put together (Such as Radec's Shock bomb laying right in the blow-back path of his snipe shot, making a perfect combo trap), and this leads to satisfying team and solo combat action.

- LoL at Nerf Request. Sure the game has some braindead-feeling characters, but this will (like all fighters) matter less over time. Smacking all the AP out of a spammy Kratos is fun. Radec is somewhat easy to control once you get used to fighting him.

- This game will feel 100% Different with more stages. Some "cheap" stuff (Radecs lvl 2, Sly's Lvl 2 bombs, Radec's Sniping, Kratos) will feel much more awkward on multi-tiered stages, This will change the character "balance" a lot, I'd think, and also promote a characters unique depth.

- I DO like the lack of a mid-match scoreboard. Great for close matches. Best "reveal" of the game, lol.

- I like the fact Supers are hardwired into the actual gameplay. I dislike the fact that something as dynamic and exciting as final Smashes can be chopped right out of "official" Smash play. It's like taking the DMs & SDMs out of KoF. It really reminds me of Dragonball Z Legends, where you needed to fill a "tug-of-war" style meter, through combos, to be able to do killing damage.

- If needed, I hope this game can become even more polished after release. It'd be cool if free updates came with new voice-samples, expanded options, new modes (Like the "Oddball" like mode mentioned by a poster here), new vocal balance (I'd like chattier characters, others would like to turn the announcer off... lets put it all in there!), everything.

My Vita internet is not dependable, so I think I'll enjoy using Vita as a way to play Single-Player content, and the PS3 as the main way to multi-play, expecially with same-system co-op online available. The best VMU Mini-game ever! XD

Spinluck

I think Radec is the best 2v2 character so far, and that Kratos is easily the best for Free for All so far, since no one blocks. Anyone who has Kratos is guaranteed a level 3 if they pick on players with no defense at all. There are times in Free4all when I'm actually protecting the weaker players, WHILE they attack me lol. I'm helping you out dammit!

Whatever, don't think I'm playing Free4all anymore, it's just a cluster fuck that doesn't reward the best player :-/.

But this isn't necessarily a flaw tied to the game, in general, Free4all never really rewards the best all the time. Sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time.

God, flickr is so goddamn backwards... I think it's impossible to grab links of stuff off your account via the Vita, even though you can upload stuff to it directly from the Vita. Anyway, I think I'm starting to finally get the hang of really abusing Radec's supers to rack up kills quickly:

8105858512_1d6dbf3fd0_b.jpg

Wow this is an obvious downgrade from the PS3 version! Weren't people saying both versions looked exactly the same? Not that it really matters for this type of game if the gameplay is fun though.

So fucking pumped. Just steamrolled 3 Radec players as Sweet Tooth.

Wow this is an obvious downgrade from the PS3 version! Weren't people saying both versions looked exactly the same. Not that it really matters for this type of game if the gameplay is fun though.
Direct Vita screenshots are really, really compressed and always look worse than in person.

Direct Vita screenshots are really, really compressed and always look worse than in person.

True. It looks gorgeous in person on the Vita, I mean that whole-heartedly. When I looked at the SS after uploading it I was like huh?, because of those jaggies/weird compression. It definitely doesn't look like that in game.

Any word on how this game will handle quitters? Matchmake them against eachother maybe?

Really enjoying this. First 2 or so games, I didn;t have a clue what was going on, there was too much going on for me. As time goes on though, I find myself keeping track of my character more easily, and keeping the opponents whereabouts/super levels in my peripheral vision.

Also I was happy to find out that my fears over the jerky camera were unfounded, as you simply don't notice it when you're paying attention to your fighter.

Will there be a Super Training mode? Don't like having to waste a super just to find out what its range/controls/time-window is. Using Kratos at the moment, strikes the balance for me between speed, power and range

2vs2 is really good. Is there no way of playing against an invited player/s?

Kurod

Banned
Playing a game against three Kratos's as Sly. Nailed all three of them in the corner with The Murray and taunted as the camera zoomed in on me. "Connection to host lost". BAHAHAHA

Sponge

Banned
I seriously cannot stop playing this beta, it's seriously perfect the way it is right now.

Minus a few Radec spammers here and there. I've had a blast with Parappa and Sweet Tooth the most of out the six available characters.

I'm really loving playing as Radec now, abusing his level one where I see the clump of three other players heading to rack up kills. I managed to land it on two people just as the match ended, and it didn't count the kills so I was second rofl.

When I see other Radec's it discourages me a bit from playing him, but I think once the full roster is available not many people will play as him, you'd be surprised how easily people make decisions over looks alone. Radec is an evil looking space Nazi so.. hopefully not many people will main him :p

The rank limit is 999 according to PS Forums.

I can finally do a decent combo, and I've never been able to combo in any game ever before!

Parappa:

Forward Circle, Circle, Square, Square, down square, forward square, up square, forward square.

Or something like that, I read it on PS Forum.

That's as far as I got, but you can hit forward circle again, I think. Apparently, if done right, it gives you 125 AP. Combos were such a good idea to include in the game. I never played Smash much, how does the combat work in Smash? Cant u combo in it?

I seriously cannot stop playing this beta, it's seriously perfect the way it is right now.

Close. Bring back previous Beta Kratos and this beta would be perfect, minus Fat Ps Super 3, and ST's Super 2 and 3.

I just noticed that the ratings you leave on PSN are region specific. For US, there are 1K ratings for All Stars on PS3, and in Australia (made an Aussie account to check new store) it's at like 500, I think.

Hope servers are stable for open beta

TheMink

Found Parappa combo that hits the threshold but doesnt require a double jump. Probably old, but i was proud of myself for figuring ot out. It grants 135 AP. (probably the same amount for all threashold combos.)

Circle>Down Square>Side Square>Up Square(Hold)>(Pause a little longer than you might think)>Circle>Square Square.

:)

EDIT: mines more intuitive than TimeEffect :p

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So from my first 5 matches I experienced you just take the Killzone guy and shoot with triangle forward from afar, get super 3 and rack up the kills. Too easy, but I wish it was more like Smash also

Am I missing stuff or is this it? Those big combos seem like good stuff, might check em out

So from my first 5 matches I experienced you just take the Killzone guy and shoot with triangle forward from afar, get super 3 and rack up the kills. Too easy, but I wish it was more like Smash also

Am I missing stuff or is this it? Those big combos seem like good stuff, might check em out

Well if you're playing against noobs they'll let you go to town with Radec. Good players will stay on top of him, but even intermediate level players will get bored chasing a Radec and give up sometimes. The key thing with Radec is to keep harassing them with those 'nades and various other moves. When they close in, do a quick combo and a rifle shot to distance them away again.

That will surely only work until people figure out that you can easiliy jump or block the sniper shot

SmithnCo

I just want them to make his level 2 either shorter, or harder to control. The fact that he's able to turn so easily is irritating.

It's already pretty short though, you'd be lucky to get 3 kills. Plus his 3 kinda sucks in most situations anyway so...

Top Bottom