• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY Final Starter Evos leak thread. (NO OTHER LEAK DISCUSSION ALLOWED!!!)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Don't have a problem with anyone liking the design (I think it's kinda ridiculous myself), but do you really not get people saying it doesn't make sense?

Chespin - Small chipmunk with a green hat and a big goofy grin
Quilladin - Fat/round chipmunk with the same goofy grin
Chessnaught - Angry chipmunk with a totally different face inside a giant spiky suit of armor

He's based on a chestnut, so it goes like "chestnut hat > full body chestnut armour > even bigger full body chestnut armour".

Hedge

So.. are there any negative consequences with your starter holding an everstone? Statwise, I mean. Will a level 100 Fennekin be a lot weaker than a level 100 Delphox? It probably will be, but I've often wondered.

For Pokémon Red/Blue, I had trouble deciding my starting Pokémon because I liked all 3...

... and for X/Y I feel like I'm just trying to decide which is the least ugly.

Antiwhippy

The more chesnaught fanart that isn't in that dumb pose I look at the more I like it. Seems like the best grass starters always have an evo that is burly as hell.

abrack08

He's based on a chestnut, so it goes like "chestnut hat > full body chestnut armour > even bigger full body chestnut armour".

I get the chestnut. Quilladin does a pretty good job of that. But this:

tumblr_mu2holfsgA1qzoh7no1_500.png

doesn't remind me of this:

It looks like a mech, not a little furry dude in a protective shell.

Neiteio

That final chespin evo is awkwardly posed.

You know someone done goofed when fanart does it better and in hours time not months. :\
NOPE. Pose is perfect. Chesnaught is slender under his armor (look at his torso under his shell-cape), so he's leaning over a bit, balancing himself with his lanky arms and legs.

Greninja is totally badicle. I don't like Delphox quite as much as I thought I would be I'm sure it'll grow on me. Pretty indifferent to Chesnaught right now.

Still repping #TeamFennekin

NOPE. Pose is perfect. Chesnaught is slender under his armor (look at his torso under his shell-cape), so he's leaning over a bit, balancing himself with his lanky arms and legs.

It'd look better if he went the lineman stance the fan art went for.

I wonder what their shinies will look like.

Antiwhippy

That big honking shell at the back still retains that.

I dunno, I think it's a very fitting design for a chestnut chipmuch knight.

Neiteio

That's funny, before reading your post, I thought you were going to say the pic of the chestnut reminds you of Chesnaught, given the spiny white shell-like exterior -- you know, the one just like Chesnaught's armor!

Chesnaught has really grown on me. I had no allegiance to any given starter, and I like each of the final evos in their own way. But I think Chesnaught is edging them out.

Hedge

Man, I'm so torn between fire and grass right now. I don't like any of the final evos at all, so I'm trying to decide based on usefulness. Or whichever my sister won't be picking. :p

Antiwhippy

That's funny, before reading your post, I thought you were going to say the pic of the chestnut reminds you of Chesnaught, given the spiny white shell-like exterior -- you know, the one just like Chesnaught's armor!

Chesnaught has really grown on me. I had no allegiance to any given starter, and I like each of the final evos in their own way. But I think Chesnaught is edging them out.

Chestnut shells are either green or brown, but your point still stands. :p

I think the incorporated the chestnut to the armour design well enough.

Antiwhippy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Chestnuts.jpg[img]

Agreed![/QUOTE]

The picture just has blown out highlights making it look white.

You can definitely see green in the none blow up parts.

Actually given the colouring I'm disappointed that it's not steel type. :(

Neiteio

I've kinda come around to Chesnaught. I think it's the Stockholm syndrome kicking in.
Chesnaught is just surprising, is all. His design is really solid.

Strong silhouette. Tremendous physicality. Unique color scheme.

I love the lines, and the way he's slender under the shell.

Very cool. But I want to see the Sugimori art for all three!

Trickster

I find it hilarious how big the contrast is between their starting form, and what they turn into at the end.

All 3 looks like shit in their final evolution imo. Probably gonna be my first pokemon game were I just ditch my starter pokemon completely, as soon as I can get my hand on another decent pokemon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People also confuse Chesnaught's body as though it's its skin. It's an armor. Like I said, first starter Pokemon wearing clothes.

Unicorn

People also confuse Chesnaught's body as though it's its skin. It's an armor. Like I said, first starter Pokemon wearing clothes.

not really, that mummy wrap is consistent all the way to his face. He's just not got fur now, it's like armadillo plate. My main gripe, aside from the pose, is the LACK of armor. Chespin2 is fully encompassed. I was hoping Chespin3 would be fully armored (chest/stomach as well as back) as well as having a spine reminescent of Chespin2 as a lance or spear and maybe a spiky shield (not necessary). I just really wanted that spike lance

Also, the coloring is not doing it favors. should have kept the dark brown and green. White is fine for the back, but making his flesh a white armadillo plating/scale was too much.

abrack08

That big honking shell at the back still retains that.

I dunno, I think it's a very fitting design for a chestnut chipmuch knight.

I feel like there had to be a way to make him look like a knight that didn't make him look like he's in a giant mechanical power mech suit thing. It doesn't make me think of a knight even for a second.

But the Chestnut shell is a tiny, spiky, greenish thing. Like... Quilladin (looks like just his "ears" are spiky but that seemed like where it was going). Not remotely like a giant beige mech that happens to have a few spikes on it. I just don't think adding a few spikes onto his armor all of a sudden makes it make sense because he's a chestnut.

Also not a fan of how his face is really similar from 1 > 2 then completely different for 3. It doesn't look like the same 'mon in any way really. If the pre-evos were different or it was a standalone guy I'd think "That's kinda cool, kinda silly. Decent pokemon."

Am I the only one who likes Chesnaught? He's like a furry mammalian Bowser to me.

In fact that is now my nickname for him. First grass starter since Johto for me! Also Grass/Fighting is great, hope he's just as viable as that mushroom head dinosaur grass/fighting Pokemon I totally forget the name of.

Neiteio

Am I the only one who likes Chesnaught? He's like a furry mammalian Bowser to me.

In fact that is now my nickname for him. First grass starter since Johto for me! Also Grass/Fighting is great, hope he's just as viable as that mushroom head dinosaur grass/fighting Pokemon I totally forget the name of.
I love Chesnaught! But I also like the other two, so I'm conflicted.

Currently leaning toward Chesnaught and Bulbasaur. Yep, double Grass. Don't even care!

Trickster

Chessnaught would be A LOT better if it weren't for all the beige color and the moronic pose it has.

Boss Doggie

not really, that mummy wrap is consistent all the way to his face. He's just not got fur now, it's like armadillo plate. My main gripe, aside from the pose, is the LACK of armor. Chespin2 is fully encompassed. I was hoping Chespin3 would be fully armored (chest/stomach as well as back) as well as having a spine reminescent of Chespin2 as a lance or spear and maybe a spiky shield (not necessary). I just really wanted that spike lance

Also, the coloring is not doing it favors. should have kept the dark brown and green. White is fine for the back, but making his flesh a white armadillo plating/scale was too much.

Not really, the face has a different shade of color. You can even see the chest fur escape from the middle.

Neiteio

I wonder if Chesnaught is meant to be a chestnut and ARMADILLO instead of a hedgehog. It would explain the color scheme and style of form-fitting "armor," not to mention that like hedgehogs, armadillos curl up into a protective ball, and are a bit more durable given their thick hides. And thanks to the chestnut connection, he retains the spines.

Chessnaught would be A LOT better if it weren't for all the beige color and the moronic pose it has.
I don't get this "moronic pose" complaint. He looks like one of these guys from TW101:

11.jpg

Huge, lumbering, powerful. Arms spread wide, ready to grapple. "COME ON, BRO!"

And that beige color scheme with red/green accents is amazing. Totally unique among Pokémon, and a blast of fresh air among Grass-type starters.

I dig him.

one_kill

Fennekin's final evo looks like an aged sage.

Froakie's final evo looks slick.

Chespin's final evo... looks like an astronaut... what the fuck

Boss Doggie

Yeah, the Greninja there is just "gets bigger", Fennekin looks weird with the face, and Chespin follows the "Dark/Grass" leak rather than looking like a knight.

Feels more like expectations not being met due to fanart or having preconceived notions. I have a feeling that regardless of the outcome, people will complain.

Neiteio

I just realized the irony of the situation:

We finally get to see the starter evos.

But the Sugimori art will probably have to wait until the guides hit.

And now I just want to see the Sugimori art!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Frog ninja is good.

Grass one would be better if they kept the brown color scheme, rather than switching to white. As it stands, it looks out of place to the others.

Fire fox is awful.

And it's crazy how much better the fanart is from this. Good concepts, poor execution.

Top Bottom