• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 Dated for Fall 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Okay everyone, just ignore my post. :(

fyi, when the teaser says "the children of fate assemble" and it cuts to a shot of four silhouettes in front of Kaworu, the script actually identifies these four shadows as
the four Reis.

Dachande

Okay everyone, just ignore my post. :(

fyi, when the teaser says "the children of fate assemble" and it cuts to a shot of four silhouettes in front of Kaworu, the script actually identifies these four shadows as
the four Reis.

That's a relief.

Mari fucking sucks. Yeah, she does. Pointless character, dead weight.

And they were doing so well in the first film by just taking the series and cutting loads of worthless shit out.

B.K.

The finalized title for the movie is Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo.

Evangelion Final is going to be released in theaters in Japan in 2013. I'm glad that it's not too long after 3.0. I guess that's why they're waiting so long to release 3.0.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-12-31/final-evangelion-remake-film-to-open-in-2013

9PRNv.jpg

Noirulus

Should I bother with the rebuild stuff? I watched the original series, and EoE already...

Wait til all the movies are released. Currently 2/4 of them are and they'll be done in 2013.

It's not worth watching right now IMO as the cliffhanger will piss you off

^ Are those.... cat ears?

LOL, Gainax and their relentless fan service.

Looks like a space suit. Are they actually taking the fight to the moon this time? It wouldn't surprise me, since Kaworu likes hanging around up there and there's some mysterious stuff going on.

As for the next one: Evangelion 4.0: I Can (Not) Even

Ultima_5

Don't bother. Rebuild has only been a disappointment thus far. :| If you want more Evangelion, just read the manga.

Sounds like I'll hold off until they're all out. Shame they sound so shitty :/. The original stuff was really good. I don't particulary want more evangelion. Happy where the series ended

hsukardi

I think Rebuild has been amazing so far, and 2.0 is one of the best anime movies ever.

The caveat is that you MUST watch the series before watching Rebuild, as it's a complex web that feeds off your existing notions of the characters. It's kind of like American comics, where each character like Batman has so many instantiations in different worlds..

I'm looking forward to 3.0 and 4.0 to see how the story is going to be tied up, but the new characters and fan service may indicate Anno's very practical concerns are going to trump art. Oh well.

I think Rebuild has been amazing so far, and 2.0 is one of the best anime movies ever.

The caveat is that you MUST watch the series before watching Rebuild, as it's a complex web that feeds off your existing notions of the characters. It's kind of like American comics, where each character like Batman has so many instantiations in different worlds..

I'm looking forward to 3.0 and 4.0 to see how the story is going to be tied up, but the new characters and fan service may indicate Anno's very practical concerns are going to trump art. Oh well.
ibfUti2n74qTK4.jpg

hsukardi

Sounds like I'll hold off until they're all out. Shame they sound so shitty :/. The original stuff was really good. I don't particulary want more evangelion. Happy where the series ended

A lot of the hate for Rebuild comes from extreme Rei/Asuka fans who can't take how their beloveds are given less screen time as well as hyper emos who were very attached to the original Evangelion for its mindfuckery and can't accept any other interpretation of the story.

If you can admire Evangelion and animation for what they are, and have watched the series and like it, you should watch Rebuild.

A lot of the hate for Rebuild comes from extreme Rei/Asuka fans who can't take how their beloveds are given less screen time as well as hyper emos who were very attached to the original Evangelion for its mindfuckery and can't accept any other interpretation of the story.

If you can admire Evangelion and animation for what they are, and have watched the series and like it, you should watch Rebuild.
What lovely straw men you have crafted there.

Shirokun

Don't make an opinion until you see them. I find the movies highly entertaining. I don't think they stand up so well as movies independent of what came before them, but I think as an EVA fan, you'll get alot out of them - although I obviously can't speak for everyone.

Risette

A Good Citizen

lol no

Rebuild is lazy, ugly, and dumb.

hsukardi

I can't disagree more. Rebuild has been amazing so far, in fact, it should've been a series of movies in the first place.

Nah, the primary reason Rebuild works this well is because of all the history that was built up in the original series.

If a completely new fan came into contact with Evangelion through the Rebuild movies alone, he/she would probably be quite confused with its highlights-plot and thinner characters and not fully understand the appeal/craze of the Eva series that made it such a global phenomenon. With older viewers, the highlight plots are mostly reminders to re-establish a foundation that SHOULD lead to a significantly different story in 3.0 and 4.0... while the thinner characters are simultaneously more interesting as they deviate in color & tone from the TV series and, if you think about it like American comics, add richness to the character rather than detract.

I'm happy Rebuild is happening, and 2.0 had an incredible ending.

Somebody stop Anno already. He has become George Lucas!

I wouldn't go that far. The new movies haven't done anything to destroy the old installments. Eva hasn't had a "midichlorians" moment.

Nah, the primary reason Rebuild works this well is because of all the history that was built up in the original series.

If a completely new fan came into contact with Evangelion through the Rebuild movies alone, he/she would probably be quite confused with its highlights-plot and thinner characters and not fully understand the appeal/craze of the Eva series that made it such a global phenomenon. With older viewers, the highlight plots are mostly reminders to re-establish a foundation that SHOULD lead to a significantly different story in 3.0 and 4.0... while the thinner characters are simultaneously more interesting as they deviate in color & tone from the TV series and, if you think about it like American comics, add richness to the character rather than detract.

I'm happy Rebuild is happening, and 2.0 had an incredible ending.

The thinner characters are the obvious outcome of having less screen time to work with. But it's interesting, watching for the subtle but intentional differences in their behaviour.

I really loved the Rebuild films, but as someone else mentioned, it builds on your appreciation for the original series. The TV series is one of the most polarizing series, no surprise that the films would further fragment fans and inspire similar ire.

hsukardi

Idk this doesn't look like less screen time to me
image.php

how do you feel about new moe auska?

I wouldn't say that her original design was less "moe", although of course the term was not standard anime lingo back in the 90s.. In any case, Asuka's original suit was obviously designed to be fan servicey:

asuka200905-06calendar.jpg

I first watched the Eva series around 95-97. To me, my attachment to the Eva series stems primarily from how mindfucked it was and how that was reportedly a product of Anno's mental state then. Over the past 15 years I've come into contact with the series occasionally and as I get older I get more invested into the series as a product of its creator(s)' thoughts and desires.

Hence why the Yoshiyuki Sadamoto version of the manga is so fascinating, with all its subtle twists and turns, deviating from the TV canon.

And why Anno, now, 15 years later -- no longer depressed and having taken a VERY strange career path after Evangelion/Kare Kano away from anime by directing live action movies -- returning to direct Evangelion with many of the core team members is so interesting. The movies as a "reinterpretation" of their current psyche and desires is so interesting to me.

Remember this is what Anno said when he began the Rebuild series:

Many different desires are motivating us to create the new 'Evangelion' film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film. The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers. The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future. The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime. The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world. Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film. Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?", "Eva is too old", we felt. However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important. To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary. When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has been constructed. For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again. Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future. Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series. We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

'Eva' is a story that repeats. It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again. It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little. It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try. We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers. Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

And note, Miyazaki Hayao's comment on Anno:

17. Though I think that I must finish drawing part B within this year. (laughs) After the earthquake disaster, I'm just thinking in circles. Anno is also just thinking about the last story of Evangelion in circles. I understand his feeling well. But there is no help for it even if we experience a wound with each other. Anno asked me, "Miya-san, don't you have experience difficulty?" then I said, "No. I don't experience difficulty." (laughs) But I actually have difficulty very much.

Blader

I'm loving Rebuild so far and can't wait for these last two movies to drop.

Hopefully ? releasing in 2013 means that there will be a shorter turnaround between 3.0 and 3.33

B.K.

Hopefully ? releasing in 2013 means that there will be a shorter turnaround between 3.0 and 3.33

It won't. There has been about a year between the theatrical release and video releases of 1.0 and 2.0. 3.33 will probably be released on DVD/Blu-Ray in mid to late 2013 in Japan and Final will probably be in mid to late 2014. That means a 2014 and 2015 release in America.

Blader

It won't. There has been about a year between the theatrical release and video releases of 1.0 and 2.0. 3.33 will probably be released on DVD/Blu-Ray in mid to late 2013 in Japan and Final will probably be in mid to late 2014. That means a 2014 and 2015 release in America.

I suppose that depends on when ? is release in theaters. The earlier its release, the earlier they'll have to release 3.33

LProtag

I've been enjoying Rebuild a lot. ... I guess that's all I really have to say on the matter, but yeah, I think as a long-time Eva fan that it's an interesting retelling (or sequel) of the story.

Beth Cyra

The first Rebuild showed so much promise...then we got 2.22 with Mari (who?), beast mode (lol) and a bunch of other crap

I was honestly bored by the First Rebuild. It wasn't bad, but it didn't capture me. 2.22 on the other hand was crazy, fun and just a bad ass ride. Was there some issues? Sure, but overall it was an excellent movie that was easily better then the first to me.

Noirulus

The first Rebuild showed so much promise...then we got 2.22 with Mari (who?), beast mode (lol) and a bunch of other crap

I feel the same. I didn't enjoy the second movie nearly as much as the first, but the fight with the 8th angel was done justice. So epic.

hirokazu

Stop hatin', guys. Rebuild is an interesting and fun reinterpretation of Evangelion for me, not a replacement.

I'm looking forward to the last half and how things will turn out.

I don't really like Rebuild. 1.Whatever just felt like it moved too fast and I just felt that the character and world development took a backseat to everything. I disliked 2.0 because of Mai and I just felt the movies started to throw in a lot of ridiculous anime stuff. Maybe i just dont like anime anymore. I can't really explain my distaste for the movies.

That said ill continue to watch them because it's Eva , but I hope the superior tv show and EoE get a blu ray release soon.

ZoddGutts

He hasn't retroactively ruined the original series and movie... yet. Since he is not at Gainax anymore, I don't think he will be able to fuck up the blu-ray release of the original series, whenever it comes out.

Just watch the movies take actually place in the original series like everyone is theorizing. Anyways the movies have been okay, nothing more.

Ultima_5

Don't make an opinion until you see them. I find the movies highly entertaining. I don't think they stand up so well as movies independent of what came before them, but I think as an EVA fan, you'll get alot out of them - although I obviously can't speak for everyone.

haha you convinced me. I just ordered the first two blurays =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom