• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 Dated for Fall 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
ninj4junpei said:
God, I want Evangelion on Blu-ray so badly. I don't understand Gainax's problem. For fuck's sake, Gurren Lagann isn't even on Blu-ray yet.
They're probably working down their back catalogue in order. Gunbuster and Nadia are coming out soon.

Blader

ninj4junpei said:
Are they pandering to people with eyepatch fetishes? Admittedly, I'm sure the reason for her wearing an eyepatch is going to be LOL worthy.

She lost an eye when she almost died.

lol?

Aigis said:
They're probably working down their back catalogue in order. Gunbuster and Nadia are coming out soon.
Gunbuster will be nice, though I don't get why they didn't go ahead and remaster the whole series since they already did the movie.
Blader5489 said:
She lost an eye when she almost died.

lol?
Yes, it's silly when you think about it, if that ends up being the case. Considering what happened to her, she should have worse injuries than simply a lost/damaged eye.

Risette

A Good Citizen
ninj4junpei said:
Gunbuster will be nice, though I don't get why they didn't go ahead and remaster the whole series since they already did the movie.
They are. It's a new HD telecine from the original negatives.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ninj4junpei said:
Yes, it's silly when you think about it, if that ends up being the case. Considering what happened to her, she should have worse injuries than simply a lost/damaged eye.
It's just a reference to Asuka Langley Soryu's lance inflicted injuries in the last scene of The End of Evangelion, which were themselves a callback to Rei's injuries in the beginning of the series.
The same eye is covered, and the same arm is in 'bandages'.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ninj4junpei said:
The series is a lot better than the Gunbuster/Diebuster mash-up.

Krev said:
It's just a reference to Asuka Langley Soryu's lance inflicted injuries in the last scene of The End of Evangelion, which were themselves a callback to Rei's injuries in the beginning of the series.
Ah, good catch.
Krev said:
The series is a lot better than the Gunbuster/Diebuster mash-up.
I've already seen the series, watched the DVDs.
Aigis said:
They are. It's a new HD telecine from the original negatives.
I meant why they didn't do it sooner.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ninj4junpei said:
I've already seen the series, watched the DVDs.
Sorry, I misread what you said. Thought you were asking why they bothered to do an HD release when the movie was already on Blu-Ray.

Thoraxes

Suairyu said:
How would that work? The sea turning red was something that happened within the life-time of the characters in Rebuild.

Unless by sequel we're meaning the end of End reset the timeline by only 15 years, reversing everything back to the moment of the second impact, just with changes? I honestly cannot think of any other way that would work as a sequel.

The second film barely resembled the original series.
I'm not totally sure, but I thought it was something along the lines of he was given the choice to basically get a reset on how life should be, so instead of everyone becoming one, he gave the world another chance to prove itself to him, or rather him prove himself to the world.

How they'll fill that plot-hole if it's true, I have no idea, but it does look really likely that the events of EoE did happen before Rebuild because physically, it appears those past events have already happened in Rebuild. How everyone will forget the other stuff I have no clue either.

Kind of think of it as a save state on Earth. He got to choose to go back and re-do his decisions and the timeline.

Blader

Krev said:

Yeah, there was a pic floating around on /m/ that compared how SPACE PIRATE ASUKA's injuries matched those she had in EoE.

This wait is going to be painful.

I was expecting this first quarter of 12 at the latest :(

I for one enjoy these movies. I don't feel they have to be replicas of the original, i enjoy the changes they made.

Now about the manga. Does anyone knows when he's going to resume?

I swear that Sadamoto and Miura are competing who's taking the longest to finish their damn manga.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Blader5489 said:
Yeah, there was a pic floating around on /m/ that compared how SPACE PIRATE ASUKA's injuries matched those she had in EoE.
I'm surprised at how many people weren't reminded of that. The first thing I thought when I saw eyepatch Asuka in the preview at the end of 2.0 was, 'holy shit, is that why Asuka's name was changed?" The second was, "does she have the arm bandage too?"
I am surprised at how far they've taken matching the injuries to EoE though. I thought they were just keeping it to the symbolic Rei --> Asuka thing.
Lord-Audie said:
Now about the manga. Does anyone knows when he's going to resume?
It resumed recently.
The last few chapters have had some...interesting turns.

Zoe

Krev said:
I'm surprised at how many people weren't reminded of that. The first thing I thought when I saw eyepatch Asuka in the preview at the end of 2.0 was, 'holy shit, is that why Asuka's name was changed?" The second was, "does she have the arm bandage too?"

I'm a little lost... how does that tie to her name change?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Zoe said:
I'm a little lost... how does that tie to her name change?
After the first Rebuild movie there was a lot of speculation about whether this was a sequel or alternate universe that's somehow linked to the original series. I thought it was weird that Asuka would be the only character in the cast whose name was changed, but one reason for that could potentially be to distinguish between the two versions of the character, should they both play a role in the future movies. Q will apparently feature an Asuka carrying the exact same injuries that Soryu had when she was last seen in EoE.

...yes, it's a very far-fetched theory.

Krev said:
It resumed recently.
The last few chapters have had some...interesting turns.

Thank you man.

When it comes to EVA and Berserk i check every 3 months. Hoping for one chp. LOL

LOL = is funny because is true :(

B.K.

hteng said:
hmm.. im seeing some weird bandage on Asuka's right arm..

It's not just on her arm.

yxzI9.png

Jex

CassSept said:
So basically, we've been waiting over two years for an annoncement that it will be released over one year from now?
Jesus fucking Christ Anno, really?
He was busy working up ways to troll people.
Krev said:
That's because it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Zoe

Krev said:
After the first Rebuild movie there was a lot of speculation about whether this was a sequel or alternate universe that's somehow linked to the original series. I thought it was weird that Asuka would be the only character in the cast whose name was changed, but one reason for that could potentially be to distinguish between the two versions of the character, should they both play a role in the future movies. Q will apparently feature an Asuka carrying the exact same injuries that Soryu had when she was last seen in EoE.

...yes, it's a very far-fetched theory.

Yeah, I know all that. I thought you were saying there was a direct relationship with the different name when it's just one of many things different.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Zoe said:
Yeah, I know all that. I thought you were saying there was a direct relationship with the different name when it's just one of many things different.
Well, it sort of would be a 'direct relationship' if Soryu had the wounds and Shikinami didn't.
B.K. said:
It's not just on her arm.
The patches are also in the spots where the MP-EVA's were ripping at Eva-02.
Jexhius said:
That's because it's like poetry, it rhymes.
Yes, that's very likely the reason for it.
But batshit speculation is fun.

So, they finally came up with a new direction to take the story, and figured out how to troll the fans with a entirely new terrible ending! I am excite!

Jex

Looks like there are going to be more new characters in 3.0.

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/s3LUD.jpg/IMG]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...gelion-store-displays-unidentified-characters

The 3.0 teaser mentioned
the children of fate assembling. I guess a few of those characters are who that was referring to.

Dear god, they want to insert some more characters into this movie series? I guess they haven't hit enough otaku touchstones yet. They have to pander harder, hopefully to Code Geass level.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Oh boy, two new undercooked characters to add to the mix.

They can't even develop the main characters properly, so I guess they're just adding MORE because more is always better or something.

Jex

Yay, looking forward to it.

Hopefully Asuka gets more screen time than 2.0.
I don't know why that would happen.

The lesson they clearly didn't learn from Evangelion 2.0 was that: inserting glasses girl haphazardly into the Evangelion storyline with no character back-story or development, while simultaneously side-lining a major character, was a terrible idea.

Instead they learnt: that they cold sell a lot of new merchandise.

ZoddGutts

Asuka really needed more screen time. I would have liked if they have gotten rid of that waste of a character Mari for more Asuka scenes. Also yes the CG in the movies are bad, they don't mesh well with the 2D stuff. It stood out like a sore thumb.

Hero

The lesson they clearly didn't learn from Evangelion 2.0 was that: inserting glasses girl haphazardly into the Evangelion storyline with no character back-story or development, while simultaneously side-lining a major character, was a terrible idea.

Instead it turned into something that sold a lot of merchandise.

You hating on Mari? COME AT ME BRO

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't care about new people. Stop adding new people Anno! No one cares about Mari. The fans have spoken: More Asuka, baka!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

Instead they learnt: that they cold sell a lot of new merchandise.

Asuka really needed more screen time. I would have liked if they have gotten rid of that waste of a character Mari for more Asuka scenes. Also yes the CG in the movies are bad, they don't mesh well with the 2D stuff. It stood out like a sore thumb.

I don't hate Mari, I just wish that we could have had more screen time with Asuka. There is no rule that says that an anime movie has to be short, especially if it cuts important character development and dialog.

Asuka's personality in the Rebuild of Eva movies are VERY DIFFERENT than her TV iteration, it would be nice to see them explore this misanthropic Asuka more.

I don't get the eye-patch thing. Did it start with Eva?

Lots of Anime Characters have eye-patches, like the blue haired girl in Ikkitousen.

Blader

More than likely a lot of those people on the left are younger versions of existing characters (Keel, Yui, etc.), since 3.0 is going to have some major backstory segments to it. I don't think these are a half dozen new pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom