• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai talks Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U + white board sketch of Smash characters

ffdgh

trutufully if squrtle was its own character, im sure it would have a decent spot in the tier list.

on a unrelated note i did enjoy that stealth rock charizard hack lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Where are people getting this Lucario replaced Mewtwo bullshit again? Goddamnit it's the smash cycle outside the smash thread!

So in light of these comments, and the fact that the roster is already pretty full, I was thinking of doing a fun little game of who to add and who to remove from the Brawl roster. however, to get the roster back down to a manageable size, you have to remove more than you add. The system is easy:

For every character you add (+1)
You have to remove 2 others (-2)

Here's mine:

+ Little Mac
He hasn't been represented as a combatant in any of the Smash games and he could bring a really unique moveset and style to the game. I'm imagining a Balrog-style guy who is focused on interrupts primarily. Successful interrupts/cancels would earn him stars, which he could then use in a B attack that would do more damage based on stars collected. Getting hit, of course, would make him lose stars.

- Falco
- Ike
We already have other Star Fox characters, and I'd rather keep the hero and villainous duo of Fox/Wolf than keep Falco around. Ike has always felt unnecessary with Marth and not differentiated enough, and he doesn't really have the same franchise pull as other characters.

+ Waluigi
Specifically, Waluigi from the Super Mario Strikers game. Plays dirty, cheats, and taunts like a mofo. Having specifically "cheating" based moves could prove to be hilarious. Ultimately he's a much better character than Wario as well.

- King Dedede
- Lucario
Unnecessary characters that aren't really premier characters overall, or aren't as interesting to play as. I'd rather keep the combo of Kirby and MetaKnight, who seem similar but play very differently. Lucario is just an unnecessary Pokemon character. I'd rather see more done with Pokemon Trainer to keep him interesting.

+ Mega Man
An obvious fit, style-wise and platform-wise. He'd fit right in.

- R.O.B.
- Snake
R.O.B. was funny for one game but I don't really have any desire to see him back. Snake didn't really seem to fit, and I'd rather have another third party character than him.

+ Mewtwo

- Pichu
- Zero Suit Samus
I don't give a shit about Pichu, and he's an easy trade for Mewtwo. ZSS is pretty lame character wise and I wouldn't miss her if she was gone.

So in light of these comments, and the fact that the roster is already pretty full, I was thinking of doing a fun little game of who to add and who to remove from the Brawl roster. however, to get the roster back down to a manageable size, you have to remove more than you add. The system is easy:

Here's mine:

With you so far.

- King Dedede
- Lucario
Unnecessary characters that aren't really premier characters from their franchises, or aren't as interesting to play as. I'd rather keep the combo of Kirby and MetaKnight, who seem similar but play very differently. Lucario is just an unnecessary Pokemon character. I'd rather see more done with Pokemon Trainer to keep him interesting.

...Back the hell up. DeDeDe not a premier character to the Kirby franchise? He's been in more games than Metaknight, hasn't he? Even still, he's very prominent in the series. I don't see him going anytime soon.

Lucario, yes. I agree with you about everything else except ditching Falco. The dude is Fox's wingman (pun completely intended). It's like having Mario without Luigi. Ryu without Ken. [insert an unfitting partnership here]

Boss Doggie

I confirm that people only want Lucario out because they want (shitty, horrible-played) Mewtwo in... without even thinking straight whether they're different characters.

Anth0ny

Here's mine:

+ Little Mac
He hasn't been represented as a combatant in any of the Smash games and he could bring a really unique moveset and style to the game. I'm imagining a Balrog-style guy who is focused on interrupts primarily. Successful interrupts/cancels would earn him stars, which he could then use in a B attack that would do more damage based on stars collected. Getting hit, of course, would make him lose stars.

- Falco
- Ike
We already have other Star Fox characters, and I'd rather keep the hero and villainous duo of Fox/Wolf than keep Falco around. Ike has always felt unnecessary with Marth and not differentiated enough, and he doesn't really have the same franchise pull as other characters.

+ Waluigi
Specifically, Waluigi from the Super Mario Strikers game. Plays dirty, cheats, and taunts like a mofo. Having specifically "cheating" based moves could prove to be hilarious. Ultimately he's a much better character than Wario as well.

- King Dedede
- Lucario
Unnecessary characters that aren't really premier characters from their franchises, or aren't as interesting to play as. I'd rather keep the combo of Kirby and MetaKnight, who seem similar but play very differently. Lucario is just an unnecessary Pokemon character. I'd rather see more done with Pokemon Trainer to keep him interesting.

+ Mega Man
An obvious fit, style-wise and platform-wise. He'd fit right in.

- R.O.B.
- Snake
R.O.B. was funny for one game but I don't really have any desire to see him back. Snake didn't really seem to fit, and I'd rather have another third party character than him.

+ Mewtwo

- Pichu
- Zero Suit Samus
I don't give a shit about Pichu, and he's an easy trade for Mewtwo. ZSS is pretty lame character wise and I wouldn't miss her if she was gone.

it would be a real shame if they removed a bunch of awesome, iconic characters just to make room for shitty characters.

All I ask is that ZSS be her own character... or that Samus gets a different Final Smash. I love Samus, but I dreaded when a SB would appear because I couldn't NOT get it... but that also meant becoming ZSS, which I am not fond of and, frankly, suck ass with.

Boss Doggie

it would be a real shame if they removed a bunch of awesome, iconic characters just to make room for shitty characters.

Exactly, removing a bunch of good characters for a shitty legendary and a shitty extra.

All I ask is that ZSS be her own character... or that Samus gets a different Final Smash. I love Samus, but I dreaded when a SB would appear because I couldn't NOT get it... but that also meant becoming ZSS, which I am not fond of and, frankly, suck ass with.
ZSS beats Samus in Brawl as far as being a good character though.

Even though I like both characters, I wish they didn't change into each other after a Final Smash. I picked that Samus for a reason!

SmithnCo

+ Waluigi

I don't understand that, Waluigi has been given barely any personality besides the cheating thing, which Wario does as well.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
U8WUN.jpg

Really? Why didn't you make a thread about it then?

I...didn't want to steal anyone's thunder. :(

KevinCow

Banned
...Back the hell up. DeDeDe not a premier character to the Kirby franchise? He's been in more games than Metaknight, hasn't he? Even still, he's very prominent in the series. I don't see him going anytime soon.

Yeah. What? Dedede is basically Kirby's Bowser.

Okay, okay, DeDeDe is "premier" for the franchise but I don't think he's a premier character overall. That said, I don't really care about DeDeDe anyway :p Fuck!

leroidys

Well, this is what happens when you people insist on dumping everything about the new Smash Bros in a thread full of random chitchat and wishlists called "TRIPPING OVER ITEMS IN REAL JAPAN TIME". Nobody is going to try and sift through that thing for news. Do a Google search for this quote and you'll see about 15 other websites who are reporting on it today.

God damn you are sensitive.

I confirm that people only want Lucario out because they want (shitty, horrible-played) Mewtwo in... without even thinking straight whether they're different characters.
What if it's just because they simply don't like him?

I didn't even know he existed before Brawl came out

Boney

Banned
Now here's a good question.

Why was Samus drawn in her Zero Suit rather than her Power Suit in the whiteboard?

and don't give me it's easier to draw crap

Okay, okay, DeDeDe is "premier" for the franchise but I don't think he's a premier character overall. That said, I don't really care about DeDeDe anyway :p Fuck!

you're a monster

My original comment called for her being her own character, not getting removed. I really doubt she'd be scrapped.

That wasn't really in response to your comment, more to Anth0ny's
(I believe he listed ZSS as one they should get rid of, correct me if I'm wrong).

Just my opinion on ZSS... but yeah, I agree, I would like her to be her own character. Holding R while selecting Samus at the character select screen every time gets annoying

Why was Samus drawn in her Zero Suit rather than her Power Suit in the whiteboard?

I'm going to guess it's because the artist(s?) wanted to draw all the characters with smiling happy faces, or at least some expression, showing some personality or something.

Because she as well as Wario, Metaknight and Pit were the first new characters shown for Brawl.

Are you 11? I simply pointed out that the second part is not new news, which it was being reported as. You asked for a source and I provided one, then you got all bitchy. Relax.

For fucks sake. It was on a bunch of sites today. Many people, including me, had not heard it. There was no thread about it here. I made a thread about it. Live with it.

leroidys

For fucks sake. It was on a bunch of sites today. Many people, including me, had not heard it. There was no thread about it here. I made a thread about it. Live with it.

Hi, I'm not complaining that you posted a thread.

The sketch is interesting and I'm glad you took the time to post about it.

I was complaining about gaming sites reposting a quote from an old interview as a new one.

I am not attacking you. Just chill out. Wow.

That nintendo power inteview is very old.

Why does it get re-posted as new news every 2 weeks?

Are you 11? I simply pointed out that the second part is not new news, which it was being reported as. You asked for a source and I provided one, then you got all bitchy. Relax.

God damn you are sensitive.

Hi, I'm not complaining that you posted a thread.

The sketch is interesting and I'm glad you took the time to post about it.

I was complaining about gaming sites reposting a quote from an old interview as a new one.

I am not attacking you. Just chill out. Wow.

This certainly sounds like complaining and attacking me.

For the love of god get rid of that terrible Fox design. Maybe they'll use the superior Star Fox 64 designs since 643DS was the most recent Star Fox game.

Boney

Banned
I'm glad this thread was made because smash discussion once again escapes the dumping grounds that is Community

No. I explained why I posted it and he says I'm being sensitive about it. There was nothing aggressive about it except maybe me posting that thread name in caps and I just did that because I think it is a goofy name. Then he asks me if I'm 11. Seriously? Do you ask people that in real life and expect them not to get mad?

All day it's been people coming in here saying this quote is old and you talked about it in your community thread or whatever. That's fine. What do you want? You want the thread locked? If it was a repeat thread, the mods would lock it, but it's not.

Boss Doggie

For the love of god get rid of that terrible Fox design. Maybe they'll use the superior Star Fox 64 designs since 643DS was the most recent Star Fox game.
Sadly the only reason they used the 64 design in the 3DS remake is well... it's based on 64, otherwise they'll use the shitty Command design.

I hate the character design in that game too (although thankfully it seems Star Wolf isn't affected much with the design change) but Iwata said apparently that clicked well with the Japanese audience.

What if it's just because they simply don't like him?

I didn't even know he existed before Brawl came out

I've seen characters who made it in that I don't like and you don't see me whining about it :p

Top Bottom