• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai talks Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U + white board sketch of Smash characters

Why do so many hate ZS Samus? She's the only "sexy" girl Nintendo has, I doubt they'll drop her. I think it's nice to see the person beneath the cartoony power suit.
Besides, Snake needs some competition in the ass department.

Gravijah

Why do so many hate ZS Samus? She's the only "sexy" girl Nintendo has, I doubt they'll drop her. I think it's nice to see the person beneath the cartoony power suit.

because i want to be the BADASS CHICK IN POWER ARMOR not the SEXY CHICK IN TIGHT CLOTHING.

If they even keep Snake. I hope he'll be back... and hopefully they'll get his character model right this time.

because i want to be the BADASS CHICK IN POWER ARMOR not the SEXY CHICK IN TIGHT CLOTHING.

But, Samus is still badass without her power suit. All those crazy acrobatics and stun gun/whip moves are totally badass

Nintendo needs more hot dudes.

Fire Emblem is their answer.

If Nintendo wants sex appeal, Fire Emblem is pretty much the only franchise they have they can pull characters from for that (with the exception of Samus).

Fire Emblem is pretty much guaranteed two slots for dudes, though, they should add a third Fire Emblem characters slot and make it female.

Jawmuncher

If they even keep Snake. I hope he'll be back... and hopefully they'll get his character model right this time.

But, Samus is still badass without her power suit. All those crazy acrobatics and stun gun/whip moves are totally badass

At least it looks like snake.

I know it's a different game but TvC ruined frank west, he looks more like Niko from GTA4.
I would post a pic but work blocks a lot of them.

El Sloth

Banned
Man, this post.

I like ZSS in Brawl, but posts like these are what make some folk dislike the ZSS design for what it's perceived to be doing to the "Samus" character and fan perception of the character. Samus was never, until recently I guess, about being the chick in the powersuit. She was just badass bounty hunter. Playing up the "sexiness" just comes off like dumb fan pandering.

At least it looks like snake.

I know it's a different game but TvC ruined frank west, he looks more like Niko from GTA4.
I would post a pic but work blocks a lot of them.

It does but I'm sure I'm not the only Metal Gear fan who was annoyed that they basically put Naked Snake's head on Solid Snake's body, complete with The Boss's bandana and everything...

Man, this post.

I like ZSS in Brawl, but posts like these are what make some folk dislike the ZSS design for what it's perceived to be doing to the "Samus" character and fan perception of the character. Samus was never, until recently I guess, about being the chick in the powersuit. She was just badass bounty hunter. Playing up the "sexiness" just comes off like dumb fan pandering.

As far as damaging Samus's character goes, playing up her sexiness is really not that bad compared to what they did to her with Other M.
Even if they play up her sexiness, she's still a badass bounty hunter... just a sexy badass bounty hunter

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If Nintendo wants sex appeal, Fire Emblem is pretty much the only franchise they have they can pull characters from for that (with the exception of Samus).

Fire Emblem is pretty much guaranteed two slots for dudes, though, they should add a third Fire Emblem characters slot and make it female.

People aren't turned on by Captain Falcon?

Jawmuncher

It does but I'm sure I'm not the only Metal Gear fan who was annoyed that they basically put Naked Snake's head on Solid Snake's body, complete with The Boss's bandana and everything...

Oh of course, I was just stating that it always could have been far worse.
Lets not forget that you could plant the C4 in the butterly shape. (Though that's more of an easter egg than anything).

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the new SSB puts naked snake in Solid Snakes place.
Considering he just had the 3DS version of 3 come out which will fit more.
(I was always bothered by Snake being MGS2 snake, since MGS2 was never on gamecube)

Too bad all the attractive dudes aren't main characters :( Except for Ike; but the transition to 3D--at least compared to his 2D art--wasn't as good as it could have been. Although he wasn't bad at all.

Now, if we could get [Radiant Dawn] Tauroneo or Gatrie... too bad they're not main characters. Sothe probably has a better chance, but he's not attractive amirite.

For female, Nephenee's totally got it. Someone mentioned Eirika earlier, which would be nice. But again, Nepheene is not a main character :(

El Sloth

Banned
As far as damaging Samus's character goes, playing up her sexiness is really not that bad compared to what they did to her with Other M.
Even if they play up her sexiness, she's still a badass bounty hunter... just a sexy badass bounty hunter
One could argue it was the first slip that lead down the shitty slope known as Other M.

The point is that she doesn't need to be a sexy badass bounty hunter. There are plenty of other places to get your dose of sexy badass bounty hunter. Leave Samus alone dammit.

NeonZ

Most people are expecting Krom, the new blue haired lord, to be the representation for FE:Awakening in the next Smash Bros. However, if they want more female representation, they could add the default female version of "Rufure" (default name of the custom main character) rather than Krom.

(The design I'm talking about is the woman with long white hair who is shown in the dialogue box screenshot)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/characters/chara2.html

I'm not convinced that they're looking specifically for more female representation though...

Too bad all the attractive dudes aren't main characters :( Except for Ike; but the transition to 3D--at least compared to his 2D art--wasn't as good as it could have been. Although he wasn't bad at all.

Now, if we could get [Radiant Dawn] Tauroneo or Gatrie... too bad they're not main characters. Sothe probably has a better chance, but he's not attractive amirite.

For female, Nephenee's totally got it. Someone mentioned Eirika earlier, which would be nice. But again, Nepheene is not a main character :(

I would definitely love to have Nephenee in there. Haha, imagine if they gave her voice overs, her accent would be hilarious

People aren't turned on by Captain Falcon?

Idk, I'm sure there are those out there... but I know I never found any of the female F-ZERO characters appealing, they all just look too ridiculous to me.

Oh of course, I was just stating that it always could have been far worse.
Lets not forget that you could plant the C4 in the butterly shape. (Though that's more of an easter egg than anything).

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the new SSB puts naked snake in Solid Snakes place.
Considering he just had the 3DS version of 3 come out which will fit more.
(I was always bothered by Snake being MGS2 snake, since MGS2 was never on gamecube)

Brawl should have had Snake's The Twin Snakes character model, that would have been perfect.
Not only could Snake plant C4 as a butterfly, but he could also make codec calls to Colonel Campbell, Otacon, and Mei Ling. No radio calls to Major Zero.
"Snake" in Brawl really was some weird combo of Naked Snake and Solid Snake
I don't mind what route they take with Snake in the next game, but I would prefer if they stuck with one or the other (Naked or Solid), combining the two characters is kinda weird

Jawmuncher

Not only could Snake plant C4 as a butterfly, but he could also make codec calls to Colonel Campbell, Otacon, and Mei Ling. No radio calls to Major Zero.
"Snake" in Brawl really was some weird combo of Naked Snake and Solid Snake
I don't mind what route they take with Snake in the next game, but I would prefer if they stuck with one or the other (Naked or Solid), combining the two characters is kinda weird

I completly agree.
They aren't as similar as some people like to think.

Triton55

Funny how before Brawl people made up ridiculously large rosters, and now people are making ridiculously long lists of characters to cut based off one fairly ambiguous comment.

But she's still badass in her Zero Suit, and it's not like they replaced the Power Suit, it's still there. I like the ZS, sure it's sexy but not too skimpy, she's still covered up from neck to toe and doesn't show skin. I don't see what's so horible about sexy, it's not like she looks like Ivy from Soul Calibur.
But I also think that the PS looks too much like a Power Ranger on steroids, guess I'm in the minority with my views on Samus' design.

Don't worry, the space furries already have that covered. I mean, Fox's trailer pretty much involves rotating around his ass.

But furries are creepy...

Nintendo needs more hot dudes.

Fire Emblem is their answer.

Well, they have Falcon, Link and the Fire Emblem dudes, they just need to strip them down a bit. I mean, wouldn't it be awesome to have Link fight in a green speedo with the Triforce on his crotch?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Geno is probably the only remaining "first-party" character I can think of actually wanting in.
Yeah... about that. He's not even owned by Nintendo at all. He's not even semi owned, partly owned, or when 1% owned. He's Square Enix's baby.

That's why he was called Snake, rather than Solid or Naked Snake. He was a representation of the MGS games. His recovery move was from the second part of MGS2 where he wasn't even playable.

Funny how before Brawl people made up ridiculously large rosters, and now people are making ridiculously long lists of characters to cut based off one fairly ambiguous comment.
I did my bit, and I've got even more idea to keep expanding this joke of a roster.
ieHNgBp9RI589.jpg

I'll never beat that gigantic pre Brawl one which basically starred any Nintendo character the creator could think of and then some.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Don't worry, the only one I like is Wolf and Sakurai has a hard-on with him (seriously, look at them leather).

I also heard Sakurai is a fan of Captain Falcon (which would explain his appearance in the first game all things consider) and he is wearing some pretty tight clothing. My my, Sakurai has a filthy mind.

Ridley and Little mac newcomers.
Real altarnate costumes, not that colored crap. All the characters in the roster can have altarnate models like Wario in Brawl, all this characters have had different costumes or evolutions during their history that can be translated to 4 alt costumes. This a fanservice and nintendo history museum game.
There is no excuse.

Firemind

Have we pondered over the ramifications of Ridley's sheer physical size yet? I'm sure we have, but I'm just checking.

Zenaku

As far as Fire Emblem is concerned, I expect Crom, and also expect Marth to be replaced with Awakenings Marth. I also expect a trophy of Sarya, since she's popular.

I'd like Xenoblade in, but my favourite character will likely be just a trophy

I expect Samus to be Other M, despite the lack of popularity, and for Link and Zelda to be SS style, with Sheik redesigned.

I could imagine Zoroark taking a Pokemon spot, but can't decide whether it'd let you copy an enemy character or simply give you a character form at random until you take a certain amount of damage, to simulate its Illusion technique.

Both Ridley's and Bowser's size keep changing from game to game.
On the NES, both were pretty small compared to the main character sprite. In later games, especially the 3d ones, both could get pretty huge. I'm pretty sure Bowser from Super Mario Sunshine is bigger than Ridley from any Metroid game yet.
Size should definitely not be an issue here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Have we pondered over the ramifications of Bowser's sheer physical size yet? I'm sure we have, but I'm just checking.

Thats my answer to all of you.

While I think Ridley's size shouldn't matter, do note that Bowser has usually been only slightly larger than Mario.

NeonZ

Regarding Pokemon, I think they'll run into the same issues that Ruby & Saphire had and end up with no representation outside of pokeballs or bosses.

It's very likely that next year we'll already get some kind of announcement for Pokemon's next generation, considering how the legendary reveals are going right now, so, most likely, Black & White won't be the main titles when the next Smash comes out, which means a 5th gen Pokemon isn't very likely to be playable, unless the character line up is drastically bigger than before.

I expect Samus to be Other M, despite the lack of popularity, and for Link and Zelda to be SS style, with Sheik redesigned.

Not necessairly. Sakurai continued using Starfox 64 designs or even just original ones for the Starfox crew after the later games were clearly not well received.

KevinCow

Banned
Have we pondered over the ramifications of Ridley's sheer physical size yet? I'm sure we have, but I'm just checking.

There is no longer a dead horse to beat on the Ridley size argument. That horse has long since decomposed, its body nourished the land, and a great and mighty oak has grown where it once laid.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah... about that. He's not even owned by Nintendo at all. He's not even semi owned, partly owned, or when 1% owned. He's Square Enix's baby.

That's why he was called Snake, rather than Solid or Naked Snake. He was a representation of the MGS games. His recovery move was from the second part of MGS2 where he wasn't even playable.

I did my bit, and I've got even more idea to keep expanding this joke of a roster.
ieHNgBp9RI589.jpg

I'll never beat that gigantic pre Brawl one which basically starred any Nintendo character the creator could think of and then some.

Stunfisk makes this the greatest roster ever.

Geno's not exactly first party, Square Enix has the rights, which is why they popped up in the credits to the first Mario & Luigi.

I put first-party in quotes for a reason. Plus, it's not like he's popping up as cameos in various Square games. His identity is pretty much tied with Nintendo, unless you're arguing that Sakurai won't bother trying to acquire the rights to use him, which would be valid.

NeonZ

Hmm? He based the Brawl designs on Command.

They really didn't. At least not for everyone. As far as Fox goes, the undershirt took some cues from commando, but that's it. Both the jacket and boots were modified versions of the ones from Melee, rather than being based on the Commando ones. He also kept his old biker gloves which were completely eliminated from the commando design to fit in with the long sleeves there.

Falco's outfit kept the old boots, but got the longer sleeves and back head piece of the Command design. He's the closest thing to a design taken directly from Commando, but even there you've still got the completely different boots. Also, his overall body proportions are also closer to his older ones, rather than Commando's (which had a thinner and taller Falco with a smaller head, proportionally).

In Wolf's case, his face is based his Assault and Commando designs, which are similar here, but his armor is redesigned as an open jaket rather than... actual armor. Also, he has white stripes on his arms, like in his Assault design. His boots, pants and claws are entirely original.

Top Bottom