• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

Without wishing to derail the thread, surely a 360 slim must now be in the cards. It's obvious they could do an even more drastic slim-down at this point and compared to the new PS3 the 360's size and form factor looks pretty damn antiquated.

After years of being cynical about the PS3 I really think this is the turning point. Sexy new system design (more reminiscent of the PS2, very smart), a sensible price (finally!), some great upcoming titles and Blu-ray really starting to make a mainstream impact. Now if Sony could just come up with an online component even half as good as Xbox Live. Even without that, this will be a MUCH more competetive holiday season than all previous. Over to you, Microsoft...

Gary Whitta said:
Without wishing to derail the thread, surely a 360 slim must now be in the cards. It's obvious they could do an even more drastic slim-down at this point and compared to the new PS3 the 360's size and form factor looks pretty damn antiquated.

After years of being cynical about the PS3 I really think this is the turning point. Sexy new system design (more reminiscent of the PS2, very smart), a sensible price (finally!), some great upcoming titles and Blu-ray really starting to make a mainstream impact. Now if Sony could just come up with an online component even half as good as Xbox Live. Even without that, this will be a MUCH more competetive holiday season than all previous. Over to you, Microsoft...

PSN isn't half as good as live?

Cowie

I didn't think I would say this... but I'm actually pretty impressed with home. I mean, I'm not saying I'll spend all my time there.. but so far I'm having fun. I really like the fat princess zone, wandering around and seeing trailers, picking up cake. It's like a damn amusement park =D

fernoca

Got my slim, everything's great so far..finishing downloading some stuff and sync-ing others, going to check the new Bluray included..then to jump into inFamous. :)

Jostifer

Let us know what is on that Blu-ray.

Gary Whitta said:
Now if Sony could just come up with an online component even half as good as Xbox Live.
Free online activities I did this week: Played 256 player matches in Mag. Played user created levels online in LBP. Watched user uploaded videos in SingStar. Roamed a 3D MMO community.

UT66

Banned
yes! It looks solid, doesn't it look like a big laptop, now? The one and only thing that bothers me... whats up with all that duct tape? - insert Nintendo joke- :lol i think i might get one + a g27 Wheel ( eventually)

le.phat

its silly, i already have a 60 gig, and have no intention of dubble dipping but somehow i get incredibly giddy by this whole new relaunch :lol like its the new ps4 or something.

Raist

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Dude, no, don't d-
Now if Sony could just come up with an online component even half as good as Xbox Live.

Oh, shit...

demosthenes said:
PSN isn't half as good as live?
They've improved it a lot but no I don't think it is. Netflix, parties, 1vs100, indie games, community events, Facebook and Twitter incoming... Live is still leaps ahead.

I smell a derail... putting a stop to this now! Slim is awesome!

JPB 1973

Neo Member
I just got back from the Best Buy here (Atlanta) and they had a bunch of PS3 slims, I thought it wasn't releasing until 09/01

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Gary Whitta said:
They've improved it a lot but no I don't think it is. Netflix, parties, 1vs100, indie games, community events, Facebook and Twitter incoming... Live is still leaps ahead.

I smell a derail... putting a stop to this now! Slim is awesome!

It's too late for that now! Clearly you are a Microsoft employee in disguise. :D

Sascha23

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Now if Sony could just come up with an online component even half as good as Xbox Live. Even without that, this will be a MUCH more competetive holiday season than all previous. Over to you, Microsoft...

I like the PSN just fine personally. I have the same minor gripes about PSN and XBLA for the most part.

Beowulf28 said:
Do you realize what you just did to this thread?

He didn't do anything, he didn't do anything...lets move along.

Anyone know how the preorders are looking for the slim

Gary you owe me one :D

Nizz

God, all the talk of the slim running more quietly and cooler than the older models makes me want to get one.

Enjoy, all the new PS3 owners!

Just anecdotally there was a LOT of interest in the Slim at Best Buy today. People kept stopping and looking at the display in a "whoah" kinda way. Probably mostly people who didn't expect it to be out yet like me but still, hopefully it bodes well...

JoeFenix said:
Did you guys get a blu-ray with demos and videos with your slim? I didn't seem to get one, checked around everywhere in the box and nothing.
I got a Blu-Ray, and I watched some of it. From what I watched it was just trailers of games that came out, and are coming out.

noah111

Still Alive
Jostifer said:
Whoa, that was quick. :D

be1bSIBJJAk1dEvk.large

Jostifer

lastinline said:
I got a Blu-Ray, and I watched some of it. From what I watched it was just trailers of games that came out, and are coming out.
We need a complete list pretty please.

Your chance to be the first on the web.

UT66

Banned
Dear Sony... remove that stupid ass heat spreader and attach the nerfed cooler directly to the processor die. Is cheaper that way, ( less materials @ heat transfer compound) plus the silicon is not THAT fragile, and no IHS is always more efficient from a thermal perspective
( unless you are using direct contact heat pipes, but this isnt the case) thanks

enewtabie

I think I'm going to buy a Slim for my office. I have a 60gb for the bedroom,but this thing is calling to me. I'm buying a PSPGo also. Please stop me.:lol

teiresias

Raist said:
No but seriously, the BRD drive.

I mean. It's like, 1/3rd of the total size of the console :lol

I don't really see how this is :lol-worthy. I mean, oh no, new-fangled high capacity optical drive can't be manufactured as small as a decades old DVD standard drive - NEWS AT ELEVEN!!

Could Apple find a manufacturer of a slimmer drive to source if they wanted to a BD drive in something - probably - but you certainly won't be paying $299 for whatever that thing is.

chixdiggit said:
Any word if the Slim is quieter? I have a 60gb that runs real quiet until the fan kicks in making it sound like a jet.
Gizmodo says it is generally quieter but that the optical drive makes more noise when seeking.

Top Bottom