• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

i got to say Im loving the look of the slim right now, I have gotten used to it very fast, it just feels like...a gaming console, feels like the ps 2.

noah111

Still Alive
Raist said:
edit: wtf Sentry get out of my mind.
Sorry :lol

Digital-Hero said:
The videos and production photos didn't show how cool the PS3 slim looked while turned on. Here are some photos.
OBSERVE THE BUTTONS
*The pictures are dark but the button lights can be seen well even in a bright room.
IMG_0327.jpg
Nice, we knew about the LED green/blue indicators but no one knew that the buttons are actually back lit themselves.

beast786

EBgames at NJ highstown.

Sold out PS3 slims (they got three).
But since the 100 price cut all the 80/160 are gone also. The only one left are used PS3.

beast786 said:
EBgames at NJ highstown.

Sold out PS3 slims (they got three).
But since the 100 price cut all the 80/160 are gone also. The only one left are used PS3.
EB in West Windsor had a lot coming in today. 15-20 were pre-ordered, but I think they had more coming in.

The Gamestop of tomorrow in Denver (colorado blvd) got them in today. Apparently they are only the GS in the area that will have them before the 1st and thats done on purpose to get people into that revamped store.

IMG_1139.JPG

Got my first PS3. Unfortanutely, my HDMI cable has yet to arrive from Monoprice.com. Inability to play in HD is kinda hampering the whole experience for me.

gerg

dreamer3kx said:
i got to say Im loving the look of the slim right now, I have gotten used to it very fast, it just feels like...a gaming console, feels like the ps 2.

I dunno'... the great thing about the PS3's design is that it looks and feels very high quality. When you look at the PS3, you know you're buying something that feels premium. I remember seeing a PR shot of the PS3 looking up to it from the ground, set against a vivid red background, and it reminded me of the monolith from 2001.

The new PS3 is just... unassuming. It's not so small as to be somewhat impressive - as the Wii's size may be - and in general I don't understand why they gave up this image of a premium product. I understand that the PS3 (and the 360, to that matter) have an air of "high technology" to them that may be off-putting to some, but it seems like they went from one extreme to another. The matte finish definately doesn't help.

MaizeRage25 said:
IMG_1139.JPG

Got my first PS3. Unfortanutely, my HDMI cable has yet to arrive from Monoprice.com. Inability to play in HD is kinda hampering the whole experience for me.

wait for that hdmi cable, please dont play those games without it.

MaizeRage25 said:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6xd3Vf_lxgY/SpSMcUoAy4I/AAAAAAAAAaU/lC1slRaQSd8/s640/IMG_1139.JPG[IMG]

Got my first PS3. Unfortanutely, my HDMI cable has yet to arrive from Monoprice.com. Inability to play in HD is kinda hampering the whole experience for me.[/QUOTE]

I'd just go buy a cable from Wal-Mart and return it when your Monoprice one shows up.

noah111

Still Alive
Totobeni said:
on the brown thingy it wrote 100-150v only, so I guess no universal PSU.
no import from USA for me then.
:(
So that's conformation then, eh? :\ Ah well, kinda sucks but it's a good thing I have the stuff needed for it to work universally in the event that I move around.

I remember my PS3 actually electrocuted me when I was using it in egypt, unstable shit. :lol

dreamer3kx said:
wait for that hdmi cable, please dont play those games without it.

I played the first bit of Uncharted, which seemed really cool but it looked like ass so I stopped. Didn't even attempt KZ2. Please hurry monoprice!

Valkyr Junkie said:
I'd just go buy a cable from Wal-Mart and return it when your Monoprice one shows up.

I'm going to wait one more day and then will probably just go buy one. I have zero patience.

gerg said:
I dunno'... the great thing about the PS3's design is that it looks and feels very high quality. When you look at the PS3, you know you're buying something that feels premium. I remember seeing a PR shot of the PS3 looking up to it from the ground, set against a vivid red background, and it reminded me of the monolith from 2001.

The new PS3 is just... unassuming. It's not so small as to be somewhat impressive - as the Wii's size may be - and in general I don't understand why they gave up this image of a premium product. I understand that the PS3 (and the 360, to that matter) have an air of "high technology" to them that may be off-putting to some, but it seems like they went from one extreme to another. The matte finish definately doesn't help.

IMO Sony should fire whoever did the glamour shots; it looks way richer and classier in person. I was way down on it at first, but seeing it for myself I think I've come around. This is as opposed to the 360 which looks rich black in elite glamour shots and is charcoal grey in real light. It looks more like it belongs in an elegant modern entertainment center than the phat or the 360 for my money. I'd be willing to have this next to a Kuro Wii and an AppleTV.

Zeke

this thread sure exploded since last I checked it anyway grats to all the new slim owners and thanks for posting the slims insides :D

gerg

A Twisty Fluken said:
IMO Sony should fire whoever did the glamour shots; it looks way richer and classier in person. I was way down on it at first, but seeing it for myself I think I've come around. This is as opposed to the 360 which looks rich black in elite glamour shots and is charcoal grey in real light. It looks more like it belongs in an elegant modern entertainment center than the phat or the 360 for my money. I'd be willing to have this next to a Kuro Wii and an AppleTV.

I guess I'll have to see it in person, then. However, the boxes, at least, only seem to reinforce my point that they're trying to sell people a blackish square.

Love the "It only does everything." tagline though.

Animal

Banned
The store I bought mine at had about 30 units still at supper time. They had received their shipment last night.

Woodsy

Banned
Can anyone with the Slim in the wild comment on the loudness? My 20 GB is getting loud and I'm thinking of ebaying it and I actually like the uniform look of the PS3.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just need to wait a day or two... Then I'll probably pick up a Slim. Initial impressions seems good.

Gotta unload my 60GB now...

noah111

Still Alive
Woodsy said:
Can anyone with the Slim in the wild comment on the loudness? My 20 GB is getting loud and I'm thinking of ebaying it and I actually like the uniform look of the PS3.
Read a bit of the thread, been said dozens of times but the slim is very, very quiet. Some say they can barely hear it.

ZZMitch

Ugh, I got my Slim up and runninh and my account created (ZZMitch if anyone wants to add me)...

But now I have to wait for the dumb HDMI cable to arrive in the mail! I don't want to put either of my new PS3 games in while on 480i ( :lol )

I guess it is Xbox 360 time for at least another day or two...

Woodsy said:

Sorry, only have the 360 as a comparison, which is not even worth discussing. The slim is very quiet.

ZZMitch said:
Ugh, I got my Slim up and runninh and my account created (ZZMitch if anyone wants to add me)...

But now I have to wait for the dumb HDMI cable to arrive in the mail! I don't want to put either of my new PS3 games in while on 480i ( :lol )

It's rough. I should have ordered from amazon.

Raist

Banned
ZZMitch said:

Do it. You'll be blown away when you'll get your HDMI cable :p

ZZMitch said:

I wouldn't have the discipline and patient to do that. I would have made a midnight trip to Wally World. :lol

I know someone spotted the 100-150v on the resistor of the PSU but I would really like to see a close up on this

HXJivMOtCyEY6Jib.large

It probably says what it can handle on there.

noah111

Still Alive
Raist said:
Do it. You'll be blown away when you'll get your HDMI cable :p
This. :lol I played my launch PS3 on my HDTV for at least a month or so before I got an HDMI cable, it was fucking mind boggling.

expy

Banned
Sentry said:
This. :lol I played my launch PS3 on my HDTV for at least a month or so before I got an HDMI cable, it was fucking mind boggling.

I was lucky, I had like 6-7 spare HDMI cables laying around the house when I picked up my Launch 60GB. :)

fernoca

Well, after no t liking th look at first..and getting one today, I'm starting to like it. Really nice system...

Kudos to Sony for how fast it ended in stores..I mean, they announced it last week (leaks aside :p )..consoles-wise, we usually have to wait months just to be released in Japan, then an extra month or some more for the rest of the world. Hope they continue this trend.

Top Bottom