• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

chixdiggit said:
Any word if the Slim is quieter? I have a 60gb that runs real quiet until the fan kicks in making it sound like a jet.
It's way quieter. When I first got my 60GB a while back, I could hear the fans going when I turned it on. It wasn't that loud, but I could hear it. With my Slim, it's like it's not on when it's on. That's how quiet it is. I thought that playing a game would make it loud, but I played inFamous for quite some time today, and it was still quiet afterwards. I also felt around the Slim, and it didn't feel hot like my 60GB used to feel. I love it. I just hope it lasts longer than my 60GB did.

Raist

Banned
Doc Evils said:
I'm pretty sure it's the same size as a PS2 slim. :lol

In terms of volume and wieght, probably yeah :lol

:lol

Oh wait

PS3's BRD drive is a full functional PS2. MEGATON.

noah111

Still Alive
chixdiggit said:
Any word if the Slim is quieter? I have a 60gb that runs real quiet until the fan kicks in making it sound like a jet.
Word all around is saying that it's super quiet, actually.

Raist said:
No but seriously, the BRD drive.
I mean. It's like, 1/3rd of the total size of the console :lol
Pretty much :lol
b1f5bKGnMFcWn6iC.large

They got some nice shots of the slim though, before they dismantled it;

IJxhsY1JyyLnvXOS.large

uMSbX32hGg6ZM3Vy.large

Raist

Banned
teiresias said:
I don't really see how this is :lol-worthy. I mean, oh no, new-fangled high capacity optical drive can't be manufactured as small as a decades old DVD standard drive - NEWS AT ELEVEN!!

Could Apple find a manufacturer of a slimmer drive to source if they wanted to a BD drive in something - probably - but you certainly won't be paying $299 for whatever that thing is.

The fuck is wrong with you?

Raist

Banned
Just a side note regarding noise. The problem is that so far people have been comparing it to their fat that has been eating dust and whatnot for months if not year. The only way to be sure would be to make a thorough comparison with a brand new fat. I mean, my launch PAL 60GB was super silent for the first months too.

I'm not saying that the Slim isn't actually quieter (it surely is), but these comparisons don't really mean anything.

teiresias

I am COMPLETELY content with my 20GB unit, but there was a stack of these at Best Buy this afternoon and geez, I had to fight the compulsion - and now seeing these pics makes it even worse. I know mine has the snazzy glossy finish and the snazzy touch-sensitive buttons, but man, new electronics just brings out the gadget whore in me!! :D

Noise wise though, my 20GB is still pretty quiet - as in I can't hear it over the audio when I'm playing a game or a movie, but if the machine is just sitting on I can hear the fan. I mean, is it that hard to run the vacuum nozzle over the vents every time you vacuum the living room (or wherever the PS3 happens to be)?

Loudninja

Gary Whitta said:
Just anecdotally there was a LOT of interest in the Slim at Best Buy today. People kept stopping and looking at the display in a "whoah" kinda way. Probably mostly people who didn't expect it to be out yet like me but still, hopefully it bodes well...

Thanks, more musings please!

Raist

Banned
billy.sea said:
I think this relaunch will be as successful as the DS relaunch with the DS Lite back in 2006.

Yeah let's not get too excited :p

That's funny though, I remember all these comments from the industry saying that Sony should start from scratch. In a sense, that's what they've done. New marketing approach, reasonable price, rebranding, etc etc.

Yama

Setting up my new PS3 Slim, just a quick question.

I did a System Backup on my PS3 60GB (320) > External HDD

Then I did the External HDD > PS3 Slim System Restore

Certain things are not able to copy from one console to the next. Is this because I have to first deactivate the 60GB? Or is it just this way, some things will never be transferable? If that's the case a broken console results in hell if your not willing to part with things, so I imagine I'm missing something.

For good measure restoring my PS3 60GB (now 120 HDD from slim) so I can get the console specific things back, but want everything to follow me onto the slim.

Dunlop

chixdiggit said:

I don't find it as quiet as the 80GB I traded in...in that I can hear it while watching a BluRay....with the volume off :D

My 80GB used to freak me out with how quiet it was.

It is still about 1/50 the noise my 360 makes

chixdiggit

I think I have my mind made up to sell my 60gb and buy the slim. I honestly don't care about BC that much. Heck with the smaller PS3 Slim I'll probably have enough room to hook back up my PS2 Slim along side it.

Jostifer

Bearillusion said:
I'm surprised Sony didn't have an external PSU to make it even smaller.
They should have a BD discman / power button with a long wire going back to the actual console which is hidden behind the tv bench. ;)

They do make BD drives smaller right? I mean laptops have them now.

They may just be more expensive (or I may be misinterpreting the scale).

Animal

Banned
Just got home with mine. Also got GT5P, Infamous and killzone 2. I couldn't find F1 game anywhere.

I also bit in and got batman for my xbox 360. I figured on a whim in the store that it would probably be the better looking of the two(Not a stealth troll).

chixdiggit

Dunlop said:
I don't find it as quiet as the 80GB I traded in...in that I can hear it while watching a BluRay....with the volume off :D

My 80GB used to freak me out with how quiet it was.

It is still about 1/50 the noise my 360 makes

Everybody says that, but in my case when the PS3 fan kicks on it's even louder than the 360. Not sure what would cause mine to be louder than the norm. I bought it new and it's always been this way.

Animal said:
Just got home with mine. Also got GT5P, Infamous and killzone 2. I couldn't find F1 game anywhere.

I also bit in and got batman for my xbox 360. I figured on a whim in the store that it would probably be the better looking of the two(Not a stealth troll).

PS3 version has exclusive content for Batman though.

Mrbob

If you have both systems, you should just get Batman on PS3.

Performance is close to on par with one another, and the PS3 version has the bonus of the Joker playable in challenge stages. Plus a ton of extra behind the scenes videos on the blu ray disc.

Back to the slim, is the $299 logo on the box itself or just a sticker?

Animal

Banned
Mrbob said:
If you have both systems, you should just get Batman on PS3.

Performance is close to on par with one another, and the PS3 version has the bonus of the Joker playable in challenge stages. Plus a ton of extra behind the scenes videos on the blu ray disc.

Back to the slim, is the $299 logo on the box itself or just a sticker?

Shit the DLC thing completely slipped my mind and I had no idea about the bonus scenes. I guess she's going back :(

Truespeed

Animal said:

F1 Championship is a collectors item. It's as if they stopped making it. It's also not an easy game to find, but it's definitely the best F1 racer for any console.

I'm wondering, doesn't inFamous have the Playstation 3 logo that pops up when you start up the game? Cause I noticed whenever I start the game up, the long Playstation 3 logo doesn't appear. It goes straight to Sony Computer Entertainment. I didn't see if it did this with any other games, but I will in a bit. Sorry if it's been discussed already. I didn't see it in this thread, and I'm not going in the inFamous thread until I beat the game. So, yeah, I'm wondering if this is a Slim thing, or this happens on the original Playstation 3's too.

noah111

Still Alive
lastinline said:
I'm wondering, doesn't inFamous have the Playstation 3 logo that pops up when you start up the game? Cause I noticed whenever I start the game up, the long Playstation 3 logo doesn't appear. It goes straight to Sony Computer Entertainment. I didn't see if it did this with any other games, but I will in a bit. Sorry if it's been discussed already. I didn't see it in this thread, and I'm not going in the inFamous thread until I beat the game. So, yeah, I'm wondering if this is a Slim thing, or this happens on the original Playstation 3's too.
It's a slim thing, obviously they are not going to show the "PLAYSTATION 3" spidey logo when the slim is carrying the new logo on its back.. newer games like U2 will support the new slim logo so the start up to those games should have be accompanied by the new PS3 logo.

Raist

Banned
lastinline said:

It's a Slim thing, just like the different startup screen.

edit: wtf Sentry get out of my mind.

Animal

Banned
Truespeed said:
F1 Championship is a collectors item. It's as if they stopped making it. It's also not an easy game to find, but it's definitely the best F1 racer for any console.

Just my luck. I saw a used copy at EBGames for 44.95 Canadian dollars. I'm crazy enough to buy it at that price and not think twice but I also hate the used game pricing enough to not buy it.

My local BB is stocked full of slims now. No more 80gb, and no more 160gb bundles either. Even though I still prefer the phat design over the slim, I gotta say the boxes looked sexy. Smaller than I thought and much more 'inviting' than the big old boxes for phat ps3's. I felt tempted.

The videos and production photos didn't show how cool the PS3 slim looked while turned on. Here are some photos.

OBSERVE THE BUTTONS

IMG_0327.jpg

*The pictures are dark but the button lights can be seen well even in a bright room.

Cowie

Attn: All first time ps3 owners

If you like, only kind of like, or even kind of dislike SRPGS, you should download the valkyria chronicles demo. I was fairly interested in it before, and now I don't think I'll make it through tomorrow without buying it.

Digital-Hero said:
The videos and production photos didn't show how cool the PS3 slim looked while turned on. Here are some photos.

OBSERVE THE BUTTONS

*The pictures are dark but the button lights can be seen well even in a bright room.
IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

white lights? very nice.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i had to drag in mine by the foot, but it's finally here.

that also was my first console purchase this gen where i didn't have to line up for 12h+. i appreciate that, and take it as a sign of good things to come.

now, on to backing up my old.. wait, i don't have an old phat ; )

It's about f'ing time:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed
by you or by our customer service department.

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 PlayStation 3 Slim $299.99 1 $299.99

Shipped via UPS

Tracking number: xxxxxxxx

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Animal said:
Just my luck. I saw a used copy at EBGames for 44.95 Canadian dollars. I'm crazy enough to buy it at that price and not think twice but I also hate the used game pricing enough to not buy it.
My grocery store has it new for 24.99 USD. I think I may snag it up.

Top Bottom