• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I realized Final Fantasy IX is approaching its ten year anniversary in America

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
That's so amazing. The game gives you the choice of buying a codebreaker so you can BREAK the fucking game just to have the choice that FFXII is awesome enough to give you from the start.

*bow* FFIX. You've one upped the Game Genie.

FFIX is not a bad game, at least, it wouldn't be if not for the loading/battle slow speed (and of course, like all FF games, it has a shit story), but saying you can use a Codebreaker to do this is not really a plus :lol
I'm pretty sure he didn't tout it as a feature.

Lebron

Drealmcc0y said:
amir0x doesnt play FF for its story?

lol that and the characters is the main reason to play it.
No mention of the music? For shame. I know the recent ones have had sub-par soundtracks, but come on!

ronito

My only complaint about this game is the battles are glacial even at the fastest setting.
Well that and the classic "I'm not the bad guy! It's this guy you've never met!"
Oh and the crappy version of triple triad.

GhaleonQ

Boney said:
I'm pretty sure he didn't tout it as a feature.

Indeed (and you can switch Zidane out of the leadership position whenever), but he's swiping at all comers now.

WHY CAN'T WE CONTROL ESPERS UNTIL INTERNATIONAL EDITION, AMIROX? Why does IX GIVE YOU THE CHOICE to control guest characters but not the original XII? *is self-satisfied*

Lebron

Drealmcc0y said:
well yeah the soundtrack is awesome, but who plays a game to listen to the music?
Me :(

Try playing the FF's of old on mute. Shit just ain't the same. The main reason I played FF's, well, at least X and under, was to hear that Uematsu music. Sure, all the other stuff had an impact too, but music came first for me.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
badcrumble said:
oh my god, are you the devil

At least his opinion is terrible. The removal of random battles, and removal the separate battle screen were two of the things that made FF XII so awesome. Begone back into Satan's greasy anus, random battles.

hertog

TheSeks said:
Man after my heart. FFXII is probably the most fun FF I've played. Haters gonna hate.

Second time plating it, focusing on the story and realising that balthier is really the main character :) (well one of three), I really liked it.

Untill I figured out all you need is Cure + Attack :(, in the main storyline that is.

MrDenny

Drealmcc0y said:
VII-X is probably the greatest run of games ive ever played.

I heavily dislike XII and XIII though.
Agreed.
XII & XIII's had poor developed stories, dull side missions (monster hunts).
VII-X had a realized world, while XII/XIII didn't feel quite there.
I hope the series gets back on track.

I was watching a stream of this game at the lovely stream vinesauce last week. I was thinking about how they could have really fucked up Vivi's characterisation. Am I right in thinking black mages were largely near silent protagonists throughout the previous games? Or at least didn't have strong characters.

Vivi's mystery history, the whole conspiracy of the black mages.. the mage bosses. It was such a great arc and there was such potential to ruin that class/character. But they totally nailed it. I think that's why I will regard IX above XII or VII. Props to Steiner too, his role was pivotal in making Vivi's adventure so memorable.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I didn't like XII unfortunately, sure it had a great looking world but that's basically it. Gameplay wasn't what I expected (ATB FF goodness) and it felt more like an MMO game.

I have to admit that I liked XIII way more than XII, but obviously IX takes the cake.

Sadist

My favourite part of the game is everything on disc two.

The venture into Treno is cool with Steiner talking about his duty. The destruction of Cleyra is pretty awesome as well with Odin leveling it.

But my favourite part is when they reach Lindblum and need to find Brahne's "weapondealer" on the Outer Continent. A new continent, where there is no Mist and new things to see. I love the part where they first enter the Black Mage Village and how Vivi gets confronted with the concept of "stopping and putting friends in the ground". It's like watching kids trying to understand what death is all about. There is one mage who talks to Vivi abouting coming with Mister 32 and how he stopped functioning. Wouldn't move or anything. So they put him in the ground, but he's going to come back right? If he does, I'll wash him in the pond. Kind of endearing.

But meeting up with Eiko and investigating the Lifa Tree was pretty big too. The Eiko's cooking ATE's are awesome. One of my favourite additions to IX. Certain ATE are really funny.

MrDenny said:
Agreed.
XII & XIII's had poor developed stories, dull side missions (monster hunts).
VII-X had a realized world, while XII/XIII didn't feel quite there.
I hope the series gets back on track.

How did XII not have a realized world?

I still need to finish this game. I got somewhere on disc 2 and just stopped playing for some reason. Tis' a shame considering I love what I played of it.

Alucrid

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Square's finest ever game. I salute you and your thread.

Love this game. Despite owning it on disc (I don't have it with me atm) I might buy it off the PSN store and play through it!

LevityNYC

Banned
On my 3rd playthrough. Love this game. 2nd favorite FF game after FF6.

I shed a tear for what Final Fantasy has become today and how SquarEnix has destroyed it. You just get the feeling that after this game, the FF series lacked direction.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Drealmcc0y said:
amir0x doesnt play FF for its story?

lol that and the characters is the main reason to play it.

shantottofindsyouractionsludicrous.jpg

Himuro said:
Ami, no one gives a fuck about how great FF12 is (though it is great). This thread is about FF9, dude. :(
Himuro, you don't have the excuse of not having seen what a Final Fantasy thread devolves into before. THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS.

The_Dude

This thread has inspired me to finally finish this game. Back when it came out, I had a terrible habit of not finishing RPGs (a habit that is now well and truly broken, I'm glad to say), so I only got a small way into disc 2. This time I'm going to beat it though!

ASIS

I played through FFIX. I wasn't really fond of it. But seeing those screenshots made me realize that I had a great time with this game. Yeah i'm interested in playing through it again.

Xux

<3 this game pretty hard.

Ruins of Madain Sari is probably the best song in the series.

Rebel Leader said:

Yeah I'm stuck in the Desert Palace - some of the candles refused to turn on so I skipped them and then the final one won't turn on. The Internet says I should unlight my candles and then light them again but that doesn't work either because they refuse to unlight now! A gamebreaker.

Himuro said:
BRING BACK ATE.
It was interesting that FF8 (via some of the message board posts you could dig deep for) and FFT (through the Brave Story and through the taverns) both had something kinda like this, with elements of the story taking place offscreen; FF9 made this content much more available, though somewhat more intrusive. Ultimately, I think FFX and FFXII represent a different decision on how to expand the game world via tons of lore instead. FFX-2 obviously had its own pretty good approach to "simultaneous" events with its chapter structure; I kinda prefer that to ATE and wouldn't mind seeing it make a comeback in a future FF spinoff, if not in one of the more tightly directed main games.

Boney

Banned
Sigh.. just beat it again. 10 years later. Just as good as then.

It's sad that it'll be impossible for them to do something as good as this, even with a remake with a better battle system, it just won't be the same. It couldn't.

*Hugs his copy*

thefro

Boney said:
Sigh.. just beat it again. 10 years later. Just as good as then.

It's sad that it'll be impossible for them to do something as good as this, even with a remake with a better battle system, it just won't be the same. It couldn't.

*Hugs his copy*

Gooch says The Last Story is better :D

sikkinixx

Question:

Does it lag for anyone playing on PSP? I have tried it my my 2000 and my Go, both lag a bit when you fight battles in a forest background. If Vivi casts a spell or Garnet summons it's like they are casting in slow-mo. It's fucking annoying :( Kinda like War of the Lions (ruined the damn game)

FFVII does it sometimes as well, though only for a split second when you are skipping from the experience screen to the battle spoils screen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FFIX is an AMAZING game, It's probably easily my most replayed game of the franchise.

The world and characters are so lively and enjoyable to behold, it's a shame they've started to abandon the "fantasy" part of the series and focus on the sci fi of it since the PS1 days more.

SJK5T.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I loved FFIX. My only dislike was Zidane's weird blond, bowl cut. It has one of my favorite soundtracks.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
chandoog said:
FFIX is an AMAZING game, It's probably easily my most replayed game of the franchise.

The world and characters are so lively and enjoyable to behold, it's a shame they've started to abandon the "fantasy" part of the series and focus on the sci fi of it since the PS1 days more.

SJK5T.jpg

1z5sqbq.jpg

Ooh

Aesius

FFIX is the last game that was "magical" for me - in the sense that it completely transported me to another world when I played it.

I've played dozens of game since IX that engrossed me, but FFIX had such an amazing world and cast of characters and came out at just the right time (I was just turning 14) that it really was the last game to ever give me the same feeling that FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc, did in the past.

I'm so glad I got to experience those games as a child. And it's fitting that FFIX was the last one I played with a young, impressionable mind. By the time X came out, I was in high school and teenage angst had kicked in. My childhood was all but over, and games since then just haven't had the same power over me.

Dragon

Banned
sikkinixx said:
Question:

Does it lag for anyone playing on PSP? I have tried it my my 2000 and my Go, both lag a bit when you fight battles in a forest background. If Vivi casts a spell or Garnet summons it's like they are casting in slow-mo. It's fucking annoying :( Kinda like War of the Lions (ruined the damn game)

FFVII does it sometimes as well, though only for a split second when you are skipping from the experience screen to the battle spoils screen.

I had this happen to me the other day, so it definitely does. I don't tend to use Vivi that much since he has such low HP and Dagger/Garnet blows but yeah.

For all those people touting FFXII, it felt incredibly soulless compared to FFIX and still does whenever I replay it. FFIX's characters are far better and more well rounded and I felt more interested in figuring out the conclusion of their arcs than FFXII's. In fact, I could never bother to finish FFXII, nor FFXIII for that matter.

Being able to choose your party at the beginning is wonderful, but I almost always form my parties in RPGs based on my like of the characters, not their worth on the battlefield. Again a personal thing.

You know what Zidane does when Dagger assumes the throne? He bitches for five minutes, then runs and saves her from the Invincible corrupting Alexander. He has a bitch moment when he realizes who is he (and we all would) but gets over it and does what he needs to do. Unlike the angst ridden mess of 7 and 8.

Top Bottom