• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I realized Final Fantasy IX is approaching its ten year anniversary in America

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
TheBranca18 said:
I had this happen to me the other day, so it definitely does. I don't tend to use Vivi that much since he has such low HP and Dagger/Garnet blows but yeah.

For all those people touting FFXII, it felt incredibly soulless compared to FFIX and still does whenever I replay it. FFIX's characters are far better and more well rounded and I felt more interested in figuring out the conclusion of their arcs than FFXII's. In fact, I could never bother to finish FFXII, nor FFXIII for that matter.

Being able to choose your party at the beginning is wonderful, but I almost always form my parties in RPGs based on my like of the characters, not their worth on the battlefield. Again a personal thing.

You know what Zidane does when Dagger assumes the throne? He bitches for five minutes, then runs and saves her from the Invincible corrupting Alexander. He has a bitch moment when he realizes who is he (and we all would) but gets over it and does what he needs to do. Unlike the angst ridden mess of 7 and 8.

To be honest, I can't remember Cloud being very angsty. I think that's incredibly exaggerated. He seems to have clear goals about what to do and where to go most of the time in the game. The other keep following him and consider him their leader. He's the one that decides to stop Sephiroth. The fact that Jenova fucks with his head and the fact that he's already a little fucked up in the head (see Crisis Core ending) doesn't make him angsty to be honest. I think most of his "angsty" moments are well justified, all things considering.

Squall, though, is just an annoying teenager who doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself - for the most of the game. Oh, and he follows orders.

Top Bottom