• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

ViolentP

I think the real concern here is that he will introduce South America to hacking. Next thing you know, Hong Kong will be doing it.

Nairume

Banned
Isn't is likely that his family had planned and saved up for the trip independently of his court costs and have just taken him along for whatever reason?

But, nope! He used his money given to him to fight dear Lord Sony-sama and so he is ever more the villain.

Jobiensis

RustyNails said:
Eh? I've been following Zoe's comments since the start of this whole thing and they're pretty non-fanboyish and non-inflammatory. I'm surprised.

Yeah, I don't agree with Zoe, but he always has good points and isn't a rah-rah Sony type.

MrPliskin

Banned
nib95 said:
Erm, that would still be considered tampering with evidence lol. if you're innocent and have nothing to hide there's really no reason to do such a thing.

Sure there is. If you're an attention hungry, socially awkward man-child, then there's plenty of reason to appease your own ego and sense of self importance.

IchigoSharingan said:
If he used the donation money, it is poor form. If he used his own personal funds, it is not.

If he used his own money to fund a vacation to South America (which isn't cheap) then he shouldn't have been asking for donations.

Speevy

Banned
Nairume said:
Isn't is likely that his family had planned and saved up for the trip independently of his court costs and have just taken him along for whatever reason?

But, nope! He used his money given to him to fight dear Lord Sony-sama and so he is ever more the villain.

And he went to South America. Who the hell knows what goes on there?

TOAO_Cyrus said:
There are degrees to things, Sony just has to spend a hundred bucks or so on an identical drive and swap out the components.

Sony has nothing do with drives , a third party is looking at them .

Curufinwe

railGUN said:
So he didn't actually "flee" - and there is not a single shred of evidence he spent a dime of legal fee donation money on this trip... and yet this thread is about him fleeing and spending donation money on this trip.

Sony were only made aware that he had left the country when the third party vendor complained that geohot had altered the hard drives he gave them, rendering them unusable.

nib95

Banned
Nairume said:
I really don't see how people potentially being scammed is a laughing matter.

Imo it was a silly thing to donate towards in the first place. Someone had potentially done a crime, courts agreed and seized his goods to comb for further evidence, he asks for donations and gets them and now he frustrates the legal process, tampers with evidence and escapes the country (likely with funds). I am slightly empathetic to the people who donated, but then again they've basically just aided a potential criminal so a part of me is less sympathetic.

Fixed1979

Curufinwe said:
I recommend people read pages 22-23 of Sony's motion. Their description of the lengths geohot has gone to to frutstrate the court-ordered discovery is pretty interesting.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...ifornia/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/103/0.pdf

Seems like he's being a dick...not suprising. Assuming the SA trip is a
timely
vacation and donations were not used, it's another reason for the people who gave this guy their money to be pissed (at least I would be). Extending the court proceedings and increasing his cost of representationfor no reason other than to fuck with Sony and the court in general is pointless and childish. Regardless of anything else he does I hope this comes back to haunt him.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
TOAO_Cyrus said:
Well I'm sure they are charging Sony for all the expenses.

Actually, I think the agreement was that both Sony and Hotz share the cost of expenses of the 3rd party.

PSGames

Curufinwe said:
Sony were only made aware that he had left the country when the third party vendor complained that geohot had altered the hard drives he gave them, rendering them unusable.

The HDDs were missing an easy to obtain component. I would hardly call that "unusable".

Zoe

PSGames said:
The HDDs were missing an easily obtainable component. I would hardly call that "unusable".

You sure about that? Newegg link, please.

And it's not the duty of the third party vendor to be make these previously functioning drives functioning again.

Curufinwe

PSGames said:
The HDDs were missing an easily obtainable component. I would hardly call that "unusable".

What you would call them is irrelevant compared to what the third party vendor thinks.

Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:56 AM
To: Stewart Kellar; Gaudreau, Holly
Cc: Robert Kleeger; Yasha Heidari; Boroumand Smith, Mehrnaz; Bricker, Ryan; Jack C. Praetzellis;
[redacted email address][redacted email address]

Subject: Imaging of encrypted drives. CRM:0003005

All,
We took the drives out of our evidence locker and the evidence bag to image them in their current encrypted state
as stated in the order and agreed to on our phone call yesterday. We have determined that the controller cards
which are screwed onto the hard drives were removed prior to them being given to us. Therefore we are unable
to operate the hard drives in their current state.
Keep in mind that we need two days to image these drives as we
have to image two 1TB drives.

I would recommend that Mr. Hotz forward to us immediately both the hard drive controller cards, screws and
anything else he may have including the complete computer system (minus the monitor, keyboard and mouse) so
that we can be prepared to complete the forensic imaging process (both encrypted and un-encrypted).
The drives have been returned to the evidence bag and locker at this time.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Grennier, CFCE, EnCE

TheIntelligenceGroup

tokkun

ShockingAlberto said:
Is that evidence or just a conclusion that's being drawn from the sequence of events?

Those are not mutually exclusive options.

A "conclusion that's being drawn from the sequence of events" is a type of evidence - "circumstantial evidence".

Maybe you wanted to ask if it was direct evidence or circumstantial evidence, in which case I would say it was the latter.

Curufinwe said:
I recommend people read pages 22-23 of Sony's motion. Their description of the lengths geohot has gone to to frutstrate the court-ordered discovery is pretty interesting.
In light of Hotz’s failure to comply with his discovery obligations and the still outstanding third party jurisdictional discovery, SCEA proposed a two-week extension of all briefing and hearing deadlines relating to Hotz’s Motion to Dismiss. Bricker Decl., ¶5, Exh. D. Hotz refused, stating that SCEA would have its discovery by the time of the hearing. Id. He completely ignored the fact that SCEA’s opposition deadline was approaching. Hotz also rejected outright SCEA’s second attempt to arrange for an inspection of his PS3 Systems and tried to evade his court-ordered deposition, stating that it was unnecessary. Id.

Despite Judge Spero’s orders, Hotz continues to frustrate all attempts to complete jurisdictional discovery. In yet another attempt to avoid his deposition and a limited inspection of his impounded hard drives, on March 17, 2011, Hotz filed a motion for protective order on issues already decided by Judge Spero. (Docket No. 100.) On the same day, TIG discovered that prior to delivery, Hotz had removed integral components from his impounded hard drives, rendering them completely non-functional. Bricker Decl., ¶21, Exh. S. When SCEA echoed TIG’s request that the components of the hard drives be delivered immediately, Hotz’s counsel responded that Hotz was in South America.Id
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...ifornia/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/103/0.pdf
I'm not a legal expert, but how much further will this "frustration" has to go before it turns into contempt of court?

Evlar

Banned
Wow... reading through that again, I hadn't noticed previously that the third-party is requesting the entire computer now. Heh. Wonder how the judge will respond.

C Jones

He's so confident he did nothing wrong yet he messes with the hard drives. Comedy.

I hope the donors at least get a postcard out of this.

IchigoSharingan said:
If he used the donation money, it is poor form. If he used his own personal funds, it is not.

I don't think that's true at all. You ask for money because you don't have enough of your own funds to pay, not because you don't feel like using your own money for the thing you did that you know is wrong.

Melchiah

Ozzykamikaze said:
I don't think that's true at all. You ask for money because you don't have enough of your own funds to pay, not because you don't feel like using your own money for the thing you did that you know is wrong.

Couldn't have said it better.

nib95 said:
Imo it was a silly thing to donate towards in the first place. Someone had potentially done a crime, courts agreed and seized his goods to comb for further evidence, he asks for donations and gets them and now he frustrates the legal process, tampers with evidence and escapes the country (likely with funds). I am slightly empathetic to the people who donated, but then again they've basically just aided a potential criminal so a part of me is less sympathetic.

First of all hes not being tried for a crime, this is a civil case so no one aided a potential criminal. Second of all his actions are not disputed, the only question is if they violated the DMCA. If Sony wins companies can use the excuse of copyright protection to make almost any modification of a device illegal, if you care about that at all it makes perfect sense to donate to this case.

heyf00L

We don't know whose money paid for the vacation. He's 21. It's probably a family vacation. Maybe his parents wanted to let him get away from all this for a few days.

But that's speculation. It's all speculation. I'm sure we'll learn the details later, so just wait.

ViolentP

I have $10,000 in my bank account right now. Forget about that though, that's for my vacation. What I DO need is for all of you to help me out in paying some legal fees. This here is my pocket. Put money there.

SpecX

Ozzykamikaze said:
Took the words right out of my mouth

Jobiensis

Zoe said:
And it's not the duty of the third party vendor to be make these previously functioning drives functioning again.

I agree, what he did was in violation of the court order. I don't see how people could say it was destroying evidence though.

Maybe the judge should give him for a nice 24 hour stay for contempt.

JWong

Banned
IchigoSharingan said:
I can only imagine how manufacturing companies can make every controller card different, by the billions. That is amazing.
They probably need the originals for legal reasons. They don't want to compromise their position by slapping on replacements.

jcm

Zoe said:
I'm interested in his lawyer's response to that. I wonder if they actually understand the implications and will blindly agree to it considering the difficulty they have with PC hardware.

I don't understand the implications. Can you explain please?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
heyf00L said:
We don't know whose money paid for the vacation. He's 21. It's probably a family vacation. Maybe his parents wanted to let him get away from all this for a few days.

Probably not.

ViolentP said:
I have $10,000 in my bank account right now. Forget about that though, that's for my vacation. What I DO need is for all of you to help me out in paying some legal fees. This here is my pocket. Put money there.
av.jpg

Zoe

jcm said:
I don't understand the implications. Can you explain please?

They're updating the firmware on all of his consoles. If he won, he'd have to get new sub-3.56 consoles if he wanted to continue his work.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Do we even know how long he's been gone? The motion filed by Hotz side was dated the 17th, so we know its been at least a bare minimum of about 5 days.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Ozzykamikaze said:
ViolentP said:
Laughing my ass off at each and every one who donated money to this fuckwit.

jcm

Zoe said:
They're updating the firmware on all of his consoles. If he won, he'd have to get new sub-3.56 consoles if he wanted to continue his work.

Hahaha. I didn't even think of that. I guess he'll need more donations when it's over.

Top Bottom