• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony HMZ-T1 first Organic EL 3D head mounted display

Brofist

eastmen said:
Sony will put out yearly revisions and at some point go to 1080p . I bet in 2-3 years the current head set will be at around $300 while a 1080p one will sit at $800 .

If they did yearly revisions, they would probably just improve the specs, and take the previous year's model off the shelves. I can't imagine they'd drop the price so low unless you have the competition putting out a similar device.

Vandiger

Power
Power Voltage : 120V(60Hz)

General
Child Lock : Yes

Inputs and Outputs
HDMI Input(s) and Output(s) : 1 input(HDMI 1.4a)/1 through-output(HDMI 1.4a)
HMD Output(s) : 1 output

System Configurations

Head Mounted Unit : Yes
Processor Unit : Yes
Measurements (Approx.)
Cable Length : 3.5m (Between Head Mounted Unit and Processor Unit)
Dimension (W x H x D) : Approx.210mm x 196mm x 110mm (Head Mounted Unit)*without bands/ 180mm x 36mm x 168mm (Processor Unit)

Video Features
Picture Mode : Standard; Cinema; Dinamic; Custom
Picture Settings : Clear Black; Picture; Brightness; Color tempreture; Sharpness
Picture control for dark adaptation : Yes
Pure Image Realizer : Frame noise reduction; Block noise reduction; Mosquito noise reduction
SBM for Video : Yes

Headphones
Driver Unit : Open air dinamic
Frequency Response : 12-24,000Hz
Impedance : 24?
Maximum Input : 1,000mW (IEC)
Sensitivity : 106dB/mW

Viewing Settings
Lens Span Adjustment : 5 steps
3D
3D Ready : Yes
HDMI CEC
CEC Control : Play, Pause, Next, Previous, Fast-forward, Fast-rewind
Display
Aspect Ratio : 16:09
Display Device : OLED Panel x 2
Display Resolution : 1280x720
Field of View : 45 degree
Gradation : RGB 24bit
Virtual Image Size : 750 inches at 65 feet distance (effectively 150" at 12 feet)

Audio Features
Leaner PCM : 2/ 5.1
Preset Audio Mode : Standard; Cinema; Game; Pure AV; Off (2ch)
Virtual Surround : Yes (5.1)

Convenience Features
Auto Power Off : Yes (6 hours)
Prolonged Viewing Warning : Yes (3 hours)
Video Pass-through Function : Yes (when Glasses are off)
Wearing Sensor : Yes

Design
Color : White
Weights (Approx.)
Unit : Approx 14.8oz (420g)- Headmounted Unit (cable not included) / 1 Lb 5oz (600g)- Processor Unit

In the Box
Warranty Guide
Forehead Supporter
Quick Start Guide
AC Cable
Nose Supporter
Instruction Manual
HDMI Cable
Sheild for Outside Light

n0n44m

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Import fail.

yeah that's why the European edition isn't coming out until mid-December I guess :( our volts are too mighty that's why!

Izayoi said:
Hold on, this does support HDMI 1.4a, right?

yes and only that. So it should do all the types of 3D in that spec, and be compatible with any HDMI 1.4a 3D device.

" HDMI 1.4a requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24, side-by-side horizontal at either 1080i50 or 1080i60, and top-and-bottom at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24 "

it accepts the 1080p(24) inputs as well going by comments on AVS from someone who used it with a PS3.

eastmen

Banned
kpop100 said:
If they did yearly revisions, they would probably just improve the specs, and take the previous year's model off the shelves. I can't imagine they'd drop the price so low unless you have the competition putting out a similar device.

Its like everything else .

At $800 the number of buyers will be smaller than at $400 . I'm sure sony's goal is to get these down to a more mass market price.

Remember at $800 your going to compete against some pretty nice 40 inch plasmas that do 3d .

Now you may say , well you don't get a 150 inch view . Thats correct. You also loose out on any social interaction . What do you do with one head set when entertaing friends ?

I'm going on the assumption that as prices for this goes down on the production end Sony will want push them closer and closer to a price point where a family of 4 can buy 4 of these .

I dont think they will move each years model down and have 4 or 5 diffrent models at once. But i certianly think we will see a model dip down to the $400 or under price range in the next 2-3 years.

As for improvements. I'm going to go with

1) Weight . I think they will shave off ounces each year

2) higher resolution . I'm not sure if we will see a strait jump to 1080p or if it will even stop at 1080p . This can be used on pcs so we could see them continue to go higher in resolution

3) I'm thinking aspect ratio .

eastmen

Banned
Myansie said:
You forgot the big one, head tracking.

I think it will simply be an add on and wht add on you buy depends on your device. its sony so i bet the ps3 will have one and then there will be a generic verison that will work with pcs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
eastmen said:
Its like everything else .

At $800 the number of buyers will be smaller than at $400 . I'm sure sony's goal is to get these down to a more mass market price.

Remember at $800 your going to compete against some pretty nice 40 inch plasmas that do 3d .

Now you may say , well you don't get a 150 inch view . Thats correct. You also loose out on any social interaction . What do you do with one head set when entertaing friends ?

I'm going on the assumption that as prices for this goes down on the production end Sony will want push them closer and closer to a price point where a family of 4 can buy 4 of these .

I dont think they will move each years model down and have 4 or 5 diffrent models at once. But i certianly think we will see a model dip down to the $400 or under price range in the next 2-3 years.

As for improvements. I'm going to go with

1) Weight . I think they will shave off ounces each year

2) higher resolution . I'm not sure if we will see a strait jump to 1080p or if it will even stop at 1080p . This can be used on pcs so we could see them continue to go higher in resolution

3) I'm thinking aspect ratio .

there is probably a big enough market of tech-head loners without much space for a big TV/projector setup.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
mrklaw said:
there is probably a big enough market of tech-head loners without much space for a big TV/projector setup.

You'd be surprised how little room a parents' basement can offer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
720p is fine. Even for PS4, they'll be restricted by the HDMI standard to stereo 3D at 720p/60. But be much more capable of driving it without dropping quality/frames.

So you don't IMO need 1080p for 3D gaming. For 3D movies it'd have been nice, especially at the size of screen its 'projecting', and also for 2D games. But that'll come.

Aru said:
WTF ? 600g ? That's heavy.
Does it really matter?

gsmarena_003.jpg

You should normally not carry this around a lot.

edit: beaten.

1-D_FTW

Ocaso said:
As a stereo 3D supporter, I'm all for anything that improves adoption of the tech and speeds up its further development, but honestly, the unbridled optimism surrounding this reeks of giddy enthusiast hype. After all, the expertreview impressions mention "no gimmicks". How is strapping two screens to your face less gimmicky than putting on polarized or shutter glasses? And while the lack of full 1080p is being downplayed in the impressions, the difference between full 1080p and 720p in 3D is quite noticeable, so the inability of these screens to display all of the detail in 3D Blu-rays is a definite downside.

This definitely sounds like a great product, but I'm not sure picking this over a 3D display truly makes sense for most people.

The number of 3D movies I'd watch on the thing would be tiny. In fact, if this was my reason for wanting 3D, I'd go with a plasma (where the crosstalk wouldn't be an issue for movies). I'm interested in this for games and games exclusively. And considering TVs and projectors are all limited to 720P @ 60fps (1080P @ 24fps is useless), I consider everything to be 720P at the moment (aside from small LCD monitors that use Nvision D-DVI).

So we're back to all devices really being 720P 3D for gaming. The difference is this is OLED and has zero crosstalk. I'm still rocking an HD CRT-RP because I can't stand the fact LCD and plasma still can't beat it in PQ. OLED being a marriage of the best traits of LCD and CRT is a tech that I can get excited about. The fact crosstalk is a HUGE issue with gaming and this has zero is another reason this product stands above all else.

When you've got two major selling points that put you head and shoulders above the competition, you'll get my attention. Still need to see the execution with my own eyes, but I love the palpable excitement that the previews have. It's telling me it might be living up to some of the hype.

thuway

1-D_FTW said:
The number of 3D movies I'd watch on the thing would be tiny. In fact, if this was my reason for wanting 3D, I'd go with a plasma (where the crosstalk wouldn't be an issue for movies). I'm interested in this for games and games exclusively. And considering TVs and projectors are all limited to 720P @ 60fps (1080P @ 24fps is useless), I consider everything to be 720P at the moment (aside from small LCD monitors that use Nvision D-DVI).

So we're back to all devices really being 720P 3D for gaming. The difference is this is OLED and has zero crosstalk. I'm still rocking an HD CRT-RP because I can't stand the fact LCD and plasma still can't beat it in PQ. OLED being a marriage of the best traits of LCD and CRT is a tech that I can get excited about. The fact crosstalk is a HUGE issue with gaming and this has zero is another reason this product stands above all else.

When you've got two major selling points that put you head and shoulders above the competition, you'll get my attention. Still need to see the execution with my own eyes, but I love the palpable excitement that the previews have. It's telling me it might be living up to some of the hype.

I think you'll be surprised as to how good 3D movies will be on this thing. Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and any Pixar film will surely be a beast.

1-D_FTW

thuway said:
I think you'll be surprised as to how good 3D movies will be on this thing. Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and any Pixar film will surely be a beast.

No doubt. I'm just saying, how many good 3D movies are made in a year? It'll be a nice extra, but I certainly wouldn't buy it if that was my focus. Then again, I wouldn't buy a 3D plasma or projector for that reason either.

Mark me down as someone else who wants this for gaming. My HDTV will be better for 3d films anyway, supporting more viewers and higher resolution... This though is going to be perfect for gaming.

I will be able to sit at my desk and play PC shooters with it on, something which I can't get comfortable doing on the couch. Playing something first person with these is going to be absolutely nuts.

Bit-Bit

I watched Avatar again last night in 3D on my 65'' Mitsubishi and OMG! I've forgotten how bright this movie is. Every scene was just gorgeous! And that's with the active shutter glasses dark tint. I can only imagine what it would look like with these OLED screens.

Shadow of the Colossus comes out in a few weeks and I'm salivating at taking out one of these giants in 3D.

Last night I played some Deus Ex in 3D and the profile for it wasn't so great so I had a really weird 3D that was hard to focus on. Now Dead Space 2 on the other hand was just surreal. But to play Dead Space 2 in total immersion with the HMZ? I think I would shit myself for reals.

Bit-Bit said:
I watched Avatar again last night in 3D on my 65'' Mitsubishi and OMG! I've forgotten how bright this movie is. Every scene was just gorgeous! And that's with the active shutter glasses dark tint. I can only imagine what it would look like with these OLED screens.

Shadow of the Colossus comes out in a few weeks and I'm salivating at taking out one of these giants in 3D.

Last night I played some Deus Ex in 3D and the profile for it wasn't so great so I had a really weird 3D that was hard to focus on. Now Dead Space 2 on the other hand was just surreal. But to play Dead Space 2 in total immersion with the HMZ? I think I would shit myself for reals.
Dead space 2 for me has horrible ghosting on my set due to numerous high contrast areas of light and dark. I would totally replay it with the Hmzs.

I don't know when I can afford to get a pair, just that as soon as I can these will be mine.

1-D_FTW

Bit-Bit said:

Didn't Eurogamer do a 3D analysis and say the SotC was really rough in 3D?

Bit-Bit said:
Now Dead Space 2 on the other hand was just surreal. But to play Dead Space 2 in total immersion with the HMZ? I think I would shit myself for reals.

Just got this in the BF3/Birthday combo package. Guess I'll be adding it to the que of games that need to wait till I upgrade to 3D.

EDIT: I should probably stop Mirror's Edge before I get much further too. Pretty sure the major complaint was the insane ghosting. Can't imagine how spectacular that would be if ghosting was the only issue.

thuway

Refreshment.01 said:
If posted ignore, on the other hand maybe is worth it for some of you guys interested in this type of product, this has head tracking also:

http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200vr.html#specifications

This thing is LOL worthy compared to Sony's unit, however, to be subjective I'll do a Pro / Con's list.

+ More Portable
+ Accepts a variety of inputs (not just HDMI)
+ Head Tracking

- Uses LCD instead of OLED
- Has a resolution of 480p
- Has a 35 degree FOV
- Simulates only a 75 inch image as opposed to 750 inch (hence not the big cinema experience)
- Price is prohibitive for its limitations

Pretty much it loses in almost all PQ / theater categories, but if your traveling on a plane and want to see a Youtube Video - why not? I'm not gona buy it though.

1-D_FTW said:
Didn't Eurogamer do a 3D analysis and say the SotC was really rough in 3D?

Just got this in the BF3/Birthday combo package. Guess I'll be adding it to the que of games that need to wait till upgrade to 3D.
If by really rough you mean framerate on par with the ps2 version, then yes.

I'd call that really rough too, but many people were okay with that performance so I think it's fair to make the distinction.

Zaptruder

Banned
thuway said:
This thing is LOL worthy compared to Sony's unit, however, to be subjective I'll do a Pro / Con's list.

+ More Portable
+ Head Tracking

- Has a 35 degree FOV
- Simulates only a 75 inch image as opposed to 750 inch (hence not the big cinema experience)

Pretty much it loses in almost all PQ / theater categories, but if your traveling on a plane and want to see a Youtube Video - why not? I'm not gona buy it though.

Irrespective of their general shittiness, I really do appreciate that Vuzix exists to give us a lower bound of progress on HMDs in general.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
plagiarize said:
Mark me down as someone else who wants this for gaming. My HDTV will be better for 3d films anyway, supporting more viewers and higher resolution... This though is going to be perfect for gaming.

I will be able to sit at my desk and play PC shooters with it on, something which I can't get comfortable doing on the couch. Playing something first person with these is going to be absolutely nuts.

I cant wait to fully recline and play a videogame... something impossible until now, unless you had a television on the ceiling.

lol I just got an Idiocracy image in my head that made me feel bad... for like two seconds...

Quaz51

thuway said:

+ More Portable
+ Head Tracking

- Has a 35 degree FOV

it's 30° horisontal FoV (HMZ is 45° Horisontal FoV) and no 3D HDMI 1.4 support (eliminatory) and probably poor optic with this type of design

patsu

thuway said:
Honestly, that would be an unnecissary expense. Let this product at least come to market. Hopefully, the video quality, and the immersion don't disappoint. Than we can worry about existential features.

I agree in principle but at least gives us a way to try 3D live camera feed. Some of us already have a 3D camera. ;-)

It should only need a firmware patch. 8^P

Afrikan

for head tracking, WHY wouldn't the PSEYE (or any other head tracking device) work with this headset.

I mean..does the PSEYE need to see your eyes or something?

can't you have the headset on your head, while calibrating....(and you'd be able see what is on the screen) and adjust your head or what ever...and bam.

shouldn't this work fine for games like Gran Turismo?

I know it probably would not be as accurate compared to a built-in censer....but it should still work, unless I'm forgetting something.

patsu

The PSEye head tracker is called Omega tracking. It looks like they track the contour of your head and shoulder; hence the name, Omega tracking. May be someone from Sony or a dev can comment ?

For detailed tracking like head turning, I think the system may look at your facial features. However someone mentioned that it's easier for gamers to lean left/right than to turn head in a TV/monitor game. I think it's the opposite for the HMD.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's really too bad there's no actual optics adjustments on this thing (other than the distance between the lenses). Most viewfinders on cameras and binoculars have some basic rotational adjustment so most people who wear glasses can use them without the glasses :\

GreggTheGrimReaper said:
My full face motorcycle helmet weighted a little bit more than double of that and i could wore it for a whole day without any problems.

And the HMZ weighs 420g, not 600g anyway. xD

For those worried about 720p-only: 3D content in 720p (full 1280x720 resolution per eye) pretty much feels like watching 1080 2D content, detail-wise.

I don't know if it's just an illusion created by the double-image, but that's how I feel when playing a 3D game on pc; by comparison, 720p feels like a blurry mess.

Durante

Ristlager said:
How well would this work for viewing normal 2D 720p TV/movies? There is not any reason why that should not work perfectly?
No, there isn't. It will also have better motion resolution and contrast than any other modern display technology.

Pachimari

I guess I can just connect this directly to my PS3, Mac Mini etc. as well, instead of buying a whole new 3D compatible receiver right?

Wanna play Metal Gear Solid on this thing(!)

jett

D-Member
metareferential said:

For those worried about 720p-only: 3D content in 720p (full 1280x720 resolution per eye) pretty much feels like watching 1080 2D content, detail-wise.

That is so not true.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
metareferential said:

I don't know if it's just an illusion created by the double-image, but that's how I feel when playing a 3D game on pc; by comparison, 720p feels like a blurry mess.

I know what you mean, but that's not due to the resolution.

I too have the impression 720p 3D content feels higher res than the same content in 2D but I believe that's due to the fact that stereoscopic 3D helps brain with understanding how scene elements are arranged in the 3D space, so it's easier for it to appreciated resolution "per object" rather than for the whole picture.

Sorry for the poor explanation. I bet there is something on this matter to be found on the web.

thuway

Confirmed- more Visors in the future-

We want to have very selected distribution, because its an exclusive product, its a high end product. So we want to demonstrate it properly in the best source across Europe and therefor we will be selecting carefully distribution. From November, you should be able to experience it in the main markets. Price to be confirmed, but it will be the first of many to follow for next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5ExrLqt6A#t=01m15s

I have a feeling this will be the high end set. Sony can't magically increase FOV without going up in price and making the thing even larger. The optical prices going from 45 to 50 to 60 are exponential and cost prohibitive.

I feel like a low end device like the Vuzix with 720 and 30 degree FOV will be offered at a cheaper price point.

thuway

nib95 said:
Any impressions on this yet? Strangely, I'm actually quite interested.

Yes sir, just one page back I posted multiple impressions from various sites, and a GAFFer two pages back posted his impressions. Everything seems to be positive and the effect looks to be absolutely gorgeous.

nib95

Banned
thuway said:
Yes sir, just one page back I posted multiple impressions from various sites, and a GAFFer two pages back posted his impressions. Everything seems to be positive and the effect looks to be absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks dude! On a side note (I know I should just read, but watching video impressions now), I'm assuming you can use this thing non 3D?

n0n44m

nib95 said:
Thanks dude! On a side note (I know I should just read, but watching video impressions now), I'm assuming you can use this thing non 3D?

yeah sure you still get the whole immersion experience and OLED awesomeness and all

Top Bottom