• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony HMZ-T1 first Organic EL 3D head mounted display

thuway

nib95 said:
Thanks dude! On a side note (I know I should just read, but watching video impressions now), I'm assuming you can use this thing non 3D?

Hell yeah. To be quite honest, the only reason I haven't purchased said device is - I want to try it out. If it really produces an IMAX size image in your face, in stunning 3D, I'm totally in.

Bit-Bit

Since the God of Wars HD and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HDs are also 3D compatible, does that mean Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 HD will also be 3D compatible. Cause if so.....my mind will explode from the awesomeness.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Can someone point me to a recent analysis of motion resolution and how much of a difference it makes?

Based on a bit of googling it seems that motion resolution is not a big deal.
I mean more is objectively better, but what is the perceivable difference?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bit-Bit said:
Since the God of Wars HD and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HDs are also 3D compatible, does that mean Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 HD will also be 3D compatible. Cause if so.....my mind will explode from the awesomeness.

No. They are plain 2D :/

1-D_FTW

jett said:
The part that goes around the back of your head looks kinda cheap to be honest and something that could quickly become uncomfortable over prolonged use.

Yeah. Kind of looks like some rip-ties you get with garbage bags. Pretty ghetto considering the price tag on it.

Reallink

bandresen said:
Can someone point me to a recent analysis of motion resolution and how much of a difference it makes?

Based on a bit of googling it seems that motion resolution is not a big deal.
I mean more is objectively better, but what is the perceivable difference?

It's largely unnoticeable with video content since high detail motion is fairly rare (save for sports). It can make a notable difference with games, but it's not as mind blowing as the numbers suggest. For example your average LCD without interpolation only has like 300-400 lines of motion resolution--yet you don't exactly see people complaining their 1080p LCD's look Sub-SD. If you compared that to a modern PDP with the full 1080 lines of motion resolution, you'd notice the difference if you looked for it, but it would be more subtle than in your face.

The biggest advantage this device has going for it is that it's native 720p--not 720p scaled to 1366x768 or 1920x1080. This is where a majority of the perceived sharpness and detail will come from. Some folks are under the mistaken impression that 720p inherently looks bad, cause their only experience is seeing it scaled to 1080p on their Vizio's shitty scaler.

ido

I have been a VR-nerd for years and years and years now. I have had probably close to a dozen HMDs in my past, ranging from the very cheap Philips Scuba(Takara Dynovisor) all the way up to a couple-thousand dollar Virtual Research V8.

But this looks better than anything I have used. The FOV was a bit higher on my V8, but not by very much. The resolution(and hopefully optics) will make up for that. I had one HMD with a FOV over 100, and even had it modded to a 1080p screen, but the optics were not as good as I would imagine with this Sony.

If this wasn't such short notice, I'd be on the preorder list for this. I'm really hoping the price drops a little bit(even though, it's honestly worth the $800, imo).

For those of you that have never used an HMD, please try it before you buy it. For some reason, people tend to overthink how awesome and immersive the experience is going to be.

I can't wait to see the reviews once this drops. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction to finally getting something with specs like this mainstream: http://www.fakespacelabs.com/Wide5.html

1-D_FTW

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-sony-s-personal-3d-viewer-is-game-changing-1015622

Hmm. Went googling around for some new impressions. What kind of comment is this:

The HMZ-T1 Personal 3D Viewer features two OLED panels made by Sony's semiconductor division. According to Yoshinori Matsumoto, from Sony's Home Entertainment Business Group, the 0.7 inch (18mm diagonal) panels "have a resolution of 350,000 pixels and are closely related to the OLED electronic viewfinders found in the new Alpha 77 and NEX-77 cameras." Definition is comparable to 720p HD.

What does that mean? Are they saying it's not actually 720P in pixel structure, but appears comparable because of how dense the pixel structure is? That's a mighty big leap if actually true. And misleading.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
1-D_FTW said:
http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-sony-s-personal-3d-viewer-is-game-changing-1015622

Hmm. Went googling around for some new impressions. What kind of comment is this:

The HMZ-T1 Personal 3D Viewer features two OLED panels made by Sony's semiconductor division. According to Yoshinori Matsumoto, from Sony's Home Entertainment Business Group, the 0.7 inch (18mm diagonal) panels "have a resolution of 350,000 pixels and are closely related to the OLED electronic viewfinders found in the new Alpha 77 and NEX-77 cameras." Definition is comparable to 720p HD.

What does that mean? Are they saying it's not actually 720P in pixel structure, but appears comparable because of how dense the pixel structure is? That's a mighty big leap if actually true. And misleading.

hmm wtf, that's like 1/3 of the actual 720p pixel count.

That has to be some mistake. Official specs clearly state 1280x720.

thuway

1-D_FTW said:

WHAT THE FUCK, purchase dead.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
thuway said:
WHAT THE FUCK, purchase dead.

Hey, read this!

Within the headset are two 0.7-inch OLED displays (720p/2.8 million pixels)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...s-3d-oled-head-mounted-display/?tag=mncol;txt

That's 3 times the amount of pixels of actual 720p displays! :D

*confused*

Edit - This is stated on the official Sony page btw
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201108/11-0831CE/

I guess I don't know how to count pixels? How does it work?

Edit 2 - Looks like 3 "screen resolution" pixels actually equal 1 "image resolution" pixel. Or something.

1-D_FTW said:

More likely the author is just not a great technical writer. For one there is no camera called the NEX-77 it is the NEX-7. So already a typo right there to lack of fact checking.

And that camera has a viewfinder that is 1,024x768 or 786,432 pixels. And it is only 0.5 inch. The 0.7 one in the HMZ-T1 is needless to say... bigger.

1-D_FTW

TTP said:
Hey, read this!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...s-3d-oled-head-mounted-display/?tag=mncol;txt

*confused*

That's kind of par for the course. The thing that worries me about the other is that's an awfully specific and technical quote. From somebody who should actually know things. I don't know how that paragraph accidentally rolls off the tongue.

TTP said:
Hey, read this!

*confused*

WTF? Counting each screen would still only net you 1.84 million pixels.

Moral of the story? Let's hope somebody can pixel count when this thing is released. Not sure it's possible, but I'm hoping.

TTP said:
Hey, read this!

*confused*

Because they are counting Red/Green/Blue pixels separately. Hence the 3x number.

But really what is important is the total number of colored pixels.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PuppetMaster said:
Because they are counting Red/Green/Blue pixels separately. Hence the 3x number.

But really what is important is the total number of colored pixels.

Yeah, figured that (edited my post).

So this is true 720p going by that Sony page right?

2.8m "effective pixels" / 3 (RGB subpixels) = 933.333
1280 x 720 = 921.600

ido

That is a pretty standard way to cite the pixel number in HMDs. From stereo3d:

"The resolution of a HMD might be less impressing than the specs indicate at first. The LCD panels usually used in consumer HMD's offer a resolution of 789 x 230=181.470 pixels per eye. That sounds quite good, but it's not. They use 3 pixels (red, green and blue) to produce one colored pixel. So the true resolution is 263 x 230. There are professional products out there with 1920 x 480, this should equal true 640 x 480."

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ido said:
That is a pretty standard way to cite the pixel number in HMDs. From stereo3d:

"The resolution of a HMD might be less impressing than the specs indicate at first. The LCD panels usually used in consumer HMD's offer a resolution of 789 x 230=181.470 pixels per eye. That sounds quite good, but it's not. They use 3 pixels (red, green and blue) to produce one colored pixel. So the true resolution is 263 x 230. There are professional products out there with 1920 x 480, this should equal true 640 x 480."

Ok so it's the horizontal res the one affected by this shady pixel counting habit.

This would mean:

1280 horizontal res x 3 (RGB) = 3840 pixels per line.

3840 x 720 (vertical res) = 2.764.800 (which are rounded to achieve the 2.8m number - which then again confirm this is true 1280x720 thing)

ido

Yes. The pixel-count is always done that way with HMDs. But yes, this is true 720p so there should be no worries about the resolution.

thuway

ido said:
Yes. The pixel-count is always done that way with HMDs. But yes, this is true 720p so there should be no worries about the resolution.

Thats cool than :).

Any more impressions from anyone? I am suprised since this thing was shown off at IFA. I thought a ton more people would chime in. I almost wish router would come in and tell us some more.

ido

I'm really tempted to preorder this. My hobby of collecting HMDs just can't let me pass this one by. I'm just hoping the price goes DOWN and not up(like eMagin's z800. Started off at around $500, and now it's over $1500).

thuway

ido said:
I'm really tempted to preorder this. My hobby of collecting HMDs just can't let me pass this one by. I'm just hoping the price goes DOWN and not up(like eMagin's z800. Started off at around $500, and now it's over $1500).

Do you have any HMDs that rival this in quality?

Sony will never do that. They are gunning on making HMD's a mainstream device. This could be their next walkman - if they can get it light enough, portable enough, and stylish enough.

ido

No. I have had HMDs with higher FOV, but lower resolution. And some with higher FOV and higher resolution, but not 3D capable.

The best HMD I have owned is the V8: http://www.virtualresearch.com/products/v8.htm

The optics on that HMD were great. Glass instead of plastic, and a really decent FOV. The only downside, for me, was the resolution.

I've had a Liquid Image MRG2.2 that was modified with a 1080p LCD, but it weighed nearly 5 pounds, could not be used for 3D, and the optics were not as good as you'd want.

In other words, I'm extremely excited about this... It is better than the eMagin z800, better than the newest Vuzix wrap 1200, and it is looking better than the Zeiss OLED cinemizer. I couldn't be happier. Hopefully this will sell decently enough to open up development to make these have an even better FOV.

thuway

ido said:
No. I have had HMDs with higher FOV, but lower resolution. And some with higher FOV and higher resolution, but not 3D capable.

The best HMD I have owned is the V8: http://www.virtualresearch.com/products/v8.htm

The optics on that HMD were great. Glass instead of plastic, and a really decent FOV. The only downside, for me, was the resolution.

I've had a Liquid Image MRG2.2 that was modified with a 1080p LCD, but it weighed nearly 5 pounds, could not be used for 3D, and the optics were not as good as you'd want.

In other words, I'm extremely excited about this... It is better than the eMagin z800, better than the newest Vuzix wrap 1200, and it is looking better than the Zeiss OLED cinemizer. I couldn't be happier. Hopefully this will sell decently enough to open up development to make these have an even better FOV.

In your opinion will this Sony actually feel like a Cinema in your face?

Also what is your opinion on a 45 degree FOV?

Compared to the others you've owned, is the Sony the best one?

thuway

..........and here we go-

ScottLowe

@yosp The 3D viewer will be gracing IGN's offices again soon!

He tweeted me back too.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
thuway said:
Hell yeah. To be quite honest, the only reason I haven't purchased said device is - I want to try it out. If it really produces an IMAX size image in your face, in stunning 3D, I'm totally in.

Its not IMAX sized... That would be cool. The simulated size is very, very good though. Like magic fairies and possibly several sacrificed japanese workers good.

thuway

Router said:
Its not IMAX sized... That would be cool. The simulated size is very, very good though. Like magic fairies and possibly several sacrificed japanese workers good.

Would you say like your average Cinema or like a "65 inch tv"?

Brofist

This thing is definitely on my radar. I heard they have a display setup at the Sony Stores in Japan, I may check to see if I can get a test of it.

ido

thuway said:
In your opinion will this Sony actually feel like a Cinema in your face?

Also what is your opinion on a 45 degree FOV?

Compared to the others you've owned, is the Sony the best one?

1. Quite possibly so. I have high hopes for this.
2. 45 degree horizontal FOV is honestly not great, but it is better than any other consumer level HMD. The optics, OLED, and resolution is really going to make a big difference here.
3. The only fault I see is a lack of headtracking, which is an easy upgrade. Unless you have thousands and thousands to spend, this one looks to be the best. Being from Sony also helps to gauge the quality here.

If you even remotely like HMDs, this is a must-have.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
thuway said:

Middle row in a big cinema. Its very impressive. the optics do an amazing jobtricking your brain here.

syoaran

Router said:
Middle row in a big cinema. Its very impressive. the optics do an amazing jobtricking your brain here.

This is a device I need to see and hold and play around with before I can pass judgement on it, but it looks quite exciting and might be a device ill use for my 3D gaming in the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder why they haven't gone 1080p. Presumably for cost and maybe they're assuming 3D gaming as a primary use case, which is limited to 720p anyway. There are plenty of LCD 1080p 0.7 inch panels for projector use

amdnv

thuway said:
45 degrees horizontal field of view means that your eyes are as far from the display as the display is wide.

A 65" TV is about 56.6" wide, so it's similar to sitting 56.6" from a 65" TV.

DeMeester

It would be nice if they had a model for people that already wear glasses. I tried contact lenses for years, but in the end they would only hurt my eyes more.

DeMeester said:
It would be nice if they had a model for people that already wear glasses. I tried contact lenses for years, but in the end they would only hurt my eyes more.

Can't you adjust the lenses in these to match your prescription or something? I read it earlier in the thread im sure.

Quaz51

ido said:
I have been a VR-nerd for years and years and years now. I have had probably close to a dozen HMDs in my past, ranging from the very cheap Philips Scuba(Takara Dynovisor) all the way up to a couple-thousand dollar Virtual Research V8.

But this looks better than anything I have used. The FOV was a bit higher on my V8, but not by very much. The resolution(and hopefully optics) will make up for that. I had one HMD with a FOV over 100, and even had it modded to a 1080p screen, but the optics were not as good as I would imagine with this Sony.

If this wasn't such short notice, I'd be on the preorder list for this. I'm really hoping the price drops a little bit(even though, it's honestly worth the $800, imo).

For those of you that have never used an HMD, please try it before you buy it. For some reason, people tend to overthink how awesome and immersive the experience is going to be.

I can't wait to see the reviews once this drops. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction to finally getting something with specs like this mainstream: http://www.fakespacelabs.com/Wide5.html

how you deal vertical diparity on HMDs?
vertical disparity can be a big problem?

ido

amdnv said:
45 degrees horizontal field of view means that your eyes are as far from the display as the display is wide.

A 65" TV is about 56.6" wide, so it's similar to sitting 56.6" from a 65" TV.

It all depends on how good the optics are. It could look that plain, sure, but if they do it right it will appear as if the screen is massive and you are further away(like someone mentioned, middle row of a theater). Most really shitty consumer level HMDs have optics that basically just make it look like you're viewing a small monitor attached to your face with horrible resolution. If these optics are the real deal, it should at least feel differently.

But 45 degree's really isn't that great yet. I was hoping for at least 60 horizontal, but maybe that will come one day. It's still way better than the newest Vuzix wrap, and even better than eMagin's z800. And if they optics are as good as people are saying, then that should make up for the lower FOV as well, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I really want to get this.

1-D_FTW

kyo_daikun said:
Can't you adjust the lenses in these to match your prescription or something? I read it earlier in the thread im sure.

Doesn't seem like you can. Looks like you can just adjust the width to account for distance between eyes.

That said, plenty of people with glasses have worn them without complaint. And they include 3 different sized forehead pads so it'll fit over anyone's head properly. So there's no penalty for wearing eye glasses with it, it just doesn't double as a pair of glasses.

ido

Quaz51 said:
how you deal vertical diparity on HMDs?
vertical disparity can be a big problem?

I think, right now, an HMD is the best way to view 3D, considering most HMDs are adjusted for the user(IPD, etc).

Mastperf

Getting demo units to retailers would go a long way in selling these, assuming they're as good as expected.
You might look like a dork on the outside but on the inside you have your own oled theater.

1-D_FTW

Oni Jazar said:
Will the Sony stores have this? Maybe they will demo them?

In the interview somebody posted, they definitely talked about this. Almost made it seem like places like Best Buy would have demo stations. So the Sony stores (unless they have a real slacker for a manager) seem like an absolute given.

Top Bottom