• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny announced for the PSP

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Spiegel said:
Alternate costumes for Kratos and Dampierre:
258o7b7.jpg

trr7yawq4ulcvmxebpw4dk92t84x8vb4sfsdf826.jpg
Is he dressed up like the Orange County Choppers guy? Paul Sr.?

Hot damn this is looking incredible! Soul Calibur IV is one of, if not my favourite game on the 360, so I’m tempted to get a PSP for this.

The graphics are amazing, and the lack of any Star Wars characters is a massive plus. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this one. :D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Seraphis Cain said:
So this comes out tomorrow in Japan. Any J-Gaffers planning on picking it up? I'd love to hear some impressions.

I would have imported this game despite it coming out here next week, but since it's likely using firmware 5.55, I passed. Hope CFW gets updated for it soon; really want to play this game.

hteng

Banned
namco better make the changes available for the console ver or make another new game, either way, they have to do something about it, the console game has been stale for quite a while now with some whiffing problems not fixed yet.

Did anyone get a text message from GameStop this was arriving tomorrow? I did, but wasn't sure if anyone else got the same message/call. Their website still says shipping 9/1.

Cromat

If this had online play it would be perfect...
I don't really see the point in a fighting game on a portable without online...

Lyte Edge

Just picked it up; glad I decided to opt out of the temptation of importing (got some other stuff today and it would have been in the same package) since they ended up bumping up the U.S. release date!

Some brief observations. I am playing this on my old PSP phat, since the game uses OFW 5.55 and will not run on modified PSPs.

-The main menu is as follows:

--------------------------
Quick Match: This is kind of like Ghost Battle in Tekken 5 DR, and set up to look like playing an online match in the console SC4. You can choose from eight different opponents to play against after every battle, each with his/her own win/loss record. These CPU players will also use custom characters.

The Gauntlet: Filled with challenges (and brief story snippets) to clear.

Trials: Contains three trials: Attack, Defense, and Endless.

Versus: Ad-Hoc battle. Titles you get in quick match will carry over to this mode.

Creation: Character creation mode.

Training: Training mode.

Records: Lets you view the game's various play data.

Options: Various options, including Japanese or English voice selection.
--------------------------

-The game has a data install option. This takes up a little less than 260MB on the memory stick and virtually eliminates all load times!

-The game uses an honor system like the console SC4 versions, so there are a total of 50 "achievements" you can earn.

-Records has a "Friends List" option. Not sure if that means you can get someone's play data and use it as a ghost character or not.

-All of the original SC4 characters return and are unlocked from the start. The Star Wars characters and stages are gone, replaced by Kratos from God Of War, and a new original character, Dampierre. Both characters have their own stages.

-Creation mode is limited to 16 data slots total.

-There are more parts available in creation mode. A number of original character's 1P outfit parts are now selectable, new parts have been added, and new hair styles have been added. You can also set a custom character's character portrait by having them pose for you, and then taking a photo.

-You can't edit body types for custom characters.

-You now cannot edit original characters' parts for their 2P outfits, only change their colors.

-The game looks fantastic and is locked at 60fps. It's very impressive.

-The game play feels a little slower to me, not faster as I'd heard.

RedSwirl

darkressurection said:
This game is coming out on PSN too right? I imagine it is because they were showing it on PSP Go at E3.

Same here, but the question is the date. At release, or at the PSPGo launch?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked mine up today (along with the two new Harvest Moon titles), but I'm pretty sure that my PSP won't be able to play it. *sad face*

hatchx

Banned
Looks great for PSP, but I don't really think it looks better than SC2 (some of you are jumping to some serious conclusions). Models looks lower poly and textures look a bit muddier.

Cypher

All Gamestops got it today, with no hindrance in waiting till 9/1. Go and buy!

Will post some impressions later.

hatchx said:
Looks great for PSP, but I don't really think it looks better than SC2 (some of you are jumping to some serious conclusions). Models looks lower poly and textures look a bit muddier.
SC2 has better textures easily but this psp version looks great for the hardware it is running on, this is 60fps too right?

Mejilan

Just a quick confirmation that 5.50 Gen-B will definitely NOT run this game, either directly from the UMD or after ripping the ISO. No surprise there, but until this is defeated, we can expect the next batch of new games (including Persona) not to run either.

Mejilan

Version.txt trick was defeated for PSN access some time ago, and more recently for games as well. Class of Heroes (5.03) and FFVII PSN (5.50) were the last games that I personally purchased that would not run natively on 5.00 M33-6 but WOULD run via the version.txt spoof trick.

I'm a bit disappointed that we get all these new Create a Soul features but they take out others like body types and main character customization.

And only 16 slots? :/

RedSwirl

LiveFromKyoto said:
I think Sony has said that pretty much everything from here on out will be on PSN.

The earliest known game to be getting a simultaneous UMD-PSN launch is the Persona remake which comes out September 24th.

Dissidia not getting a PSN launch worries me.

Guess I'll be waiting on this until a CFW fix gets made.

Extremely disappointing - I probably would have picked up Motorstorm this holiday too, but unless a fix gets released by the community I will just have to avoid them if they're being so stubborn about custom firmware. I won't give up CPS2, SNES, NES, Genesis just to play the 3 worthwhile games Sony puts out on the platform per year.

SonOfABeep said:
Guess I'll be waiting on this until a CFW fix gets made.

Extremely disappointing - I probably would have picked up Motorstorm this holiday too, but unless a fix gets released by the community I will just have to avoid them if they're being so stubborn about custom firmware. I won't give up CPS2, SNES, NES, Genesis just to play the 3 worthwhile games Sony puts out on the platform per year.
2 questions -

1)Looking at the downloads SC:BD already has.. can you really BLAME them for being bullish on CFW?
2) and If this game doesnt work on CFW why exactly are all those people downloading it? Scary...

The Abominable Snowman said:
2 questions -

1)Looking at the downloads SC:BD already has.. can you really BLAME them for being bullish on CFW?
2) and If this game doesnt work on CFW why exactly are all those people downloading it? Scary...

Exactly.

Mejilan

Uh... the pirates know that it's only a matter of time.
Also, you're assuming that the 10 year olds torrenting the game are even aware that they can't play it. ;p

Well, I buy my PSP games, but Dissidia is the last one I've bought since Crisis Core. That's sad.

There's just not enough must have software on the platform where if I had to choose homebrew or official games I would ever choose official games.

Mejilan said:
Uh... the pirates know that it's only a matter of time.
Also, you're assuming that the 10 year olds torrenting the game are even aware that they can't play it. ;p

Point is you can't blame developers for trying to make it so that their games do not run on CFW machines.

Lyte Edge

Master Thespian said:
I hate being in Georgia. We never get anything early.

I live in Atlanta. The EB I went to had a bunch of copies available.

The Abominable Snowman said:
If this game doesnt work on CFW why exactly are all those people downloading it? Scary...

Like Mejilan said, it's only a matter of time before 5.55 is cracked and pirates can hoist up the jolley roger once again. That, and a lot of people don't even bother checking and just download everything regardless. :p

AranhaHunter said:
Point is you can't blame developers for trying to make it so that their games do not run on CFW machines.

Absolutely. I never get all up in arms if the hacked custom firmware I am making use of is "defeated." You either wait or you switch back to the original firmware. I just happened to also still have an older 1000 series model lying around unused, and finally removed its several years old, outdated custom firmware (this was more of a task than I thought it would be!) and installed OFW 5.55 for everything that isn't supported.

Lyte Edge said:
I live in Atlanta. The EB I went to had a bunch of copies available.

Me too. They were out today. I like the system changes.. a lot. Step speed and range are definitely better. The CF meter goes up and down quite a bit faster than it used to. They really need to release DamnPimp and patch the game for the console.

PS: Kratos is the first guest character that doesn't feel out of place (if the game is patched to the consoles and he only comes to PS3, I'd actually rebuy the game to get him).

MoxManiac

I can just pandora down to 1.5, then install OFW 5.55, then when it's cracked, pandora back down to 1.5 to use CFW again right? I want to play the latest batch of 5.55 games (Orochi 2, this etc) and I don't mind temporarily sacrificing CFW features to do it (since it -is- only a matter of time)

Top Bottom