• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny announced for the PSP

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
hteng said:
ppl that treat fighting games like a single player game, or demand that there be more SP options in the game instead of fine tuning/balancing the characters should be shoot. Balance is always the first priority in any fighting game if its to be successful and long lived ie: SF3S, did the game have a great SP mode? nope, ppl still play it this day? fuck yea coz its an amazing fighting game.

SCIV showing up at this year's EVO showed that it is indeed a valid competitive fighting game, aside from a few sightly overpower characters (Hilde doom combo, Algol's bubbles and zoning abilities), the game is quite balance and very entertaining to watch at high level play.

No.

We're at an age of console fighters where you can no longer say "I just need fine tuning/balancing of the characters, and we're all good." That won't work for a 60 dollar game. It needs to have a single player component that gives you reason to play when you don't happen to have other folks around to play. As much as the US version of Soul Calibur III was inbalanced, it DID have one of the most entertaining single player modes of any SC game. Even better than the DC Soul Calibur, that almost made me stop playing every time I had to go into one of those damn mazes. Its amazing that Mortal Kombat Deception (which just edges out over Tekken Tag Tournament) still has a more entertaining single player mode than fighters in 2009.

Additionally, character balance are just tweaks, now. You could download an update that would balance out characters. It would be much harder to add minigames, or a quest mode, than it would to make a character more or less powerful.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
SolidSnakex said:
There will be guest characters though. The director described them as being "spectacular". So, maybe Kratos will finally end up in SC.

That could be.... very awesome.

SolidSnakex said:
scbd09.jpg

scbd10.jpg

scbd12.jpg

scbd14.jpg

scbd20.jpg

scbd17.jpg

scbd22.jpg

scbd39.jpg

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090515_168666.html

That looks amazing for a portable game. There are PS2 games that don't look that good.

Lyte Edge said:
The Magic-Box is saying that the game is going to have ad-hoc AND online play. Has this been confirmed anywhere yet?

They haven't ruled out online play like the T6 team has. But there's no confirmation that it'll have it. The T6 team said that it won't have online play because there's too much lag on the PSP for a fighter to work correctly.

Lord Phol

mr jones said:
No.

We're at an age of console fighters where you can no longer say "I just need fine tuning/balancing of the characters, and we're all good." That won't work for a 60 dollar game. It needs to have a single player component that gives you reason to play when you don't happen to have other folks around to play. As much as the US version of Soul Calibur III was inbalanced, it DID have one of the most entertaining single player modes of any SC game. .

This I can agree with, even though many people hate on SC3 its probably the Fighting Game I've got the most out of (except for perhaps Tekken 2 back in the old days).
Just bought SC4, so'll have to see how that compares.
But I do like the SC-series because they are more than just 1v1 Fighting games. The music, setting, world, characters even the crappy lore.

hteng

Banned
mr jones said:
No.

We're at an age of console fighters where you can no longer say "I just need fine tuning/balancing of the characters, and we're all good." That won't work for a 60 dollar game. It needs to have a single player component that gives you reason to play when you don't happen to have other folks around to play. As much as the US version of Soul Calibur III was inbalanced, it DID have one of the most entertaining single player modes of any SC game. Even better than the DC Soul Calibur, that almost made me stop playing every time I had to go into one of those damn mazes. Its amazing that Mortal Kombat Deception (which just edges out over Tekken Tag Tournament) still has a more entertaining single player mode than fighters in 2009.

Additionally, character balance are just tweaks, now. You could download an update that would balance out characters. It would be much harder to add minigames, or a quest mode, than it would to make a character more or less powerful.

warhawk is a multiplayer only game and its still played today because of continuous updates/expansions, so saying a game needs single player component is moot.

SC4 had sufficient Single player content, there are customizable items and DLCs, standard arcade mode, tower mode, character creation. Much of the time were spent polishing the graphics and framerate (60fps) which is the top priority for the developers. Online is available, so seeking for matches isn't exactly difficult, local matches for the most part are acceptable in terms of lag.

I don't think it's up to you to decide if adding minigames or quest mode is any harder than tweaking a character, both can be as easy or as hard, only the developer knows, although tweaking definitely takes time as it requires the community's input and tournament results, lengthy process to justify the changes...etc.

again, i can't stress enough how important it is to keep a fighting game/multiplayer game balanced to ensure that the game lasts longer and keep the community alive. Balancing / Tweaks > Single player content

Miburou

At first I didn't understand why Namco has decided to make Tekken 6 and SC for PSP, but after reading the producer say that Tekken 5 sold 2.2M copies on PSP, it makes sense.

I won't be getting T6 on PSP, but if SC has enough stuff to differentiate it from SCIV, I might just get it.

carlosp

Banned
Miburou said:
At first I didn't understand why Namco has decided to make Tekken 6 and SC for PSP, but after reading the producer say that Tekken 5 sold 2.2M copies on PSP, it makes sense.

I won't be getting T6 on PSP, but if SC has enough stuff to differentiate it from SCIV, I might just get it.

how i love Tekken 5 on PSP. One of my most played games ever. Love every pixel out of it :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
mr jones said:
No.

I'd say instead we're at an age of console fighters, where the game can be about the fighting itself, and not a bunch of trimming and side dishes. Those things are ok, but not if they get in the way of the core product (they didn't in SC4, they did in SF4)

If you don't have people around to play, it's called online play.

Really, there are two audiences for fighters, the quasi-RPG crowd who doesn't care about whether the game is good MP or not, and the hardcore crowd which doesn't care at all about the SP side.

The way to solve this is to work on the core game first, then add the stuffings and trimmings for the RPG crowd, in a way that doesn't ruin it for the hardcores. To unlock everything in-game that should show in a match, make sure a person can do it by just playing online. SC4 did this right by tying it to acheivements, and making it where it took 30 acheivements to get everything, and 30 acheivements could be acheived either by never going online, or by never playing the SP content.

This is the "parts adjustment" screen, which lets you make fine adjustments to various character parts. This screen (and all the ones below) show vertical, horizontal, and inner positioning along with overall item width. But there are more options than just these. You'll be able to make precise adjustments in position, size and angle to all areas of your character.

The customization doesn't end with just your character's physical appearance. The game also lets you create a thumbnail image for your character, which is shown during character selection and in battle. In addition to the character pose and position, you can also select the background for the image.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/07/18/soul_calibur_edit_mode/

it will probably be the first DD game I get when PSP GO comes around,
SC4 has it's problems, but on portable it would do they job for a fighting game on the go.
... and Kratos!!!

I hope Kratos doesn't have complex stances and I hope they keep him normal

Helmholtz

Oh wow, those screenshots actually look really nice. Tekken psp pretty much confirmed that 3D fighters work on the system, hopefully this can go above and beyond.

I'm glad to see all the main characters from SCIV are returning. Just add Hwang, Li Long and a mimic and the roster would be perfect.

With all the enhancements they are making to the CaS system, I'd really like to see this get a console release too ala Tekken 5: DR on the PSN network.

Roto13

mr jones said:
No.

No way. Single player modes in SC III were all about quantity over quality. That terrible choose-your-own-adventure Tales of Souls mode (which had almost no variation from character to character as far as the story went) and Chronicles of the Sword mode (which was even slower-paced that ToS mode) were nowhere near as fun as previous mission modes. Or even running through Arcade mode.

I'd rather play random VS. CPU matches forever in Soul Calibur IV than go through Tales of Souls or Chronicles of the Sword again.

Also, looking forward to Broken Destiny, Soul Calibur on the toilet, etc.

I'm not even a huge fan of Tekken and I was blown away by Dark Resurrection. I absolutely love Soul Calibur and am just floored by this. Looks fantastic.

As for single player, I think SC2 was the best. They gave you enough incentive to keep playing the fighting game that we bought to play-- not some awkward side scrolling beat-em-up or RPG mode or something-- with the unlockable costumes and weapons.

Top Bottom