• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny announced for the PSP

Mooreberg said:
Yup. The Tekken games ran at twice the frame rate on PSOne. As for the last two releases on comparable hardware, Tekken 5 looked better than Soul Calibur III. But from what limited amount I've seen Tekken 6 doesn't look as good as SCIV.
The consistent motion blur makes Tekken look a little better than SCIV imo.

I loved the image quality in SCIV though. Wasn't it rendered at a higher resolution then downscaled to 720p?

Effect

This is pure BS. They can do this for the PSP yet they had no problem screwing over the Wii with that crap that was Soul Calibur Legends!?

Xav

Mooreberg said:
Tekken 5 looked better than Soul Calibur III.
No it didn't, have you seen some of the stages in SoulCalibur III compared to Tekken 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDxQAMzOciw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyvXoHuUcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQLhvJAwKE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNn9CaYh8NA&feature=related

Okay I suck for using YouTube videos to make a point but you get the idea. It's 2009 and Tekken is still using the infinite stages trick.

959863_20090428_790screen012.jpg

It's Billy Mitchell!

as8rl.jpg

Mooreberg

Xav said:
No it didn't, have you seen some of the stages in SoulCalibur III compared to Tekken 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDxQAMzOciw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyvXoHuUcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQLhvJAwKE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNn9CaYh8NA&feature=related

Okay I suck for using YouTube videos to make a point but you get the idea. It's 2009 and Tekken is still using the infinite stages trick.

Tekken 5 had infinite and walled environments. The space station, the mountain top and the hong kong roof levels in particular looked terrific. Not that SCIII didn't look good but I found Tekken 5 more eye catching.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Stop It said:
Totally wrong and left field prediction: Sony @ E3 announces PSP2, fully BC with all PSP games (Hence these announcements pre-E3) and all PSP related announcements at E3 will be for the new device.

Definitely wrong.

This new PSP iteration shows all signs of being a DD-only console with no UMD. That automatically cuts the "fully BC with all PSP games" part of your prediction.

If anything, these games will be DRM-heavy Download Only games that will be compatible with all PSP models. So all of us PSP-1000, PSP-2000, and PSP-3000 owners can rejoice.

Hcoregamer00

danmaku said:
Bullshots? It seems too clear and anti-aliased to be a PSP game (cfr. Tekken 6 screens). Either this or Namco has some skilled magician among his developers.

No, Tekken 5 never unlocked the full 333 Mhz mode of the console. Tekken 6 seems to use the same game engine as Tekken 5 (For the PSP).

If anything, this game looks like it is one of the few fighting games built from the ground up that takes advantage of the PSP's full power.

Synless

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, Tekken 5 never unlocked the full 333 Mhz mode of the console. Tekken 6 seems to use the same game engine as Tekken 5 (For the PSP).

If anything, this game looks like it is one of the few fighting games built from the ground up that takes advantage of the PSP's full power.
Which is amazing because Tekken 5 ran at at 60fps and is still one of the best looking games on the system. Im really hyped for both Tekken 6 and SC, I hope they both run as smoothly as Tekken 5 DR did.

They did a great job of downsampling the SCIV art assets. Not counting on the Star Wars characters or online play though.

Effect said:
This is pure BS. They can do this for the PSP yet they had no problem screwing over the Wii with that crap that was Soul Calibur Legends!?
SCIV/BD PS2 and Wii Ports confirmed?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Seriously, what's with the SCIV hate? The game singlehandely saved the series from the fighting game ghetto.

SC3 killed the series dead and cost it it's place in the competitive scene's pantheon while IV brought it back to the forefront. Isn't it at EVO this year? SC3 never could have been at EVO. It had no scene and it was just a shitty unbalanced fighter.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TheCardPlayer said:
Seriously, what's with the SCIV hate? The game singlehandely saved the series from the fighting game ghetto.

SC3 killed the series dead and cost it it's place in the competitive scene's pantheon while IV brought it back to the forefront. Isn't it at EVO this year? SC3 never could have been at EVO. It had no scene and it was just a shitty unbalanced fighter.
but it had the most fun sp mode. *has played CotS more than any other single-player SC mode*
whereas nothing past SC has been able to top the original's multi. ok, II maybe, with lots of if's and but's.

btw, people who don't see the hefty antialiasing in those shots need to get a better monitor. and also, keep their naivity in check.

Metal Gear?! said:
They did a great job of downsampling the SCIV art assets. Not counting on the Star Wars characters or online play though.
The GameSpot article mentions that the Star Wars guest characters won't be in the game. (Thank goodness.) They should leave out the bonus characters too (Angol Fear, Shura, etc.) if they are going to take spots away from actual Soul characters.

Gunloc said:
The GameSpot article mentions that the Star Wars guest characters won't be in the game. (Thank goodness.) They should leave out the bonus characters too (Angol Fear, Shura, etc.) if they are going to take spots away from actual Soul characters.
definitive version confirmed

TheCardPlayer

blu said:
but it had the most fun sp mode. *has played CotS more than any other single-player SC mode*
whereas nothing past SC has been able to top the original's multi. ok, II maybe, with lots of if's and but's.

btw, people who don't see the hefty antialiasing in those shots need to get a better monitor. and also, keep their naivity in check.
But single player in a fighting game is garbage anyway! Who the crap can fault a fighting game for not having good single player? SC3 had more single player modes, yes, but the fighting itself blew chunks. SCIV has minimal single player modes and all the effort went into the game not sucking ass.

TheCardPlayer said:
But single player in a fighting game is garbage anyway! Who the crap can fault a fighting game for not having good single player? SC3 had more single player modes, yes, but the fighting itself blew chunks. SCIV has minimal single player modes and all the effort went into the game not sucking ass.

I used to think like you until the closest arcade to me was an hour away, lacked the games I wanted to play and my college roommates moved away or stopped playing. Up until last year when I FINALLY found another fighting game nut that I didn't mind inviting over to my house I went through a severe drought in live competition. If someone wants to buy the game for single player, let them. It's no excuse for a crappy game, but a good game and single player modes are not mutually exclusive.

Aru

TheCardPlayer said:

What did you say ? :mad:
SC3's story mode was awesome (not the story itself, just the mode).
And what about Edge Master mode (SC1 and whatever it was called in SC2) ? I really liked it.

Hcoregamer00

Gunloc said:

I agree, the bonus characters were not BAD, but they were just clones to characters and added NOTHING.

Which was the mode in SC3 with the shitty cutscene - 'PRESS LEFT TO JUMP AWAY FROM THE COG NOW'? every single time you played through it, such shitty design

Aru said:
And what about Edge Master mode (SC1 and whatever it was called in SC2) ? I really liked it.
I think a strong single player mode is a real asset to a fighting game. The Soul games have for the most part always had a good single player campaign. SCIII & SCIV did lack in that area so I hope that Broken Destiny brings back a more indepth experience.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I agree, the bonus characters were not BAD, but they were just clones to characters and added NOTHING.
As long as they don't take actual spots then it's fine to include them, but I don't want to see them shoehorned into the plot line when characters like Hwang & Li Long are being left out for no reason.

The GameSpot article says they are estimating the roster to be around 30 characters. If that's true, that's enough room for all the main characters from the Soul series to appear not including mimics, so I hope to see all the characters back. Add to that Dampierre and a mimic and I think that's a good roster.

Hcoregamer00

BlazingDarkness said:
Which was the mode in SC3 with the shitty cutscene - 'PRESS LEFT TO JUMP AWAY FROM THE COG NOW'? every single time you played through it, such shitty design

It was their story mode, which did suck.

Chronicles of the Sword was nothing amazing, but it had the potential to be great if they developed it 5 or 6 steps beyond what they did.

Aru

Gunloc said:
I think a strong single player mode is a real asset to a fighting game. The Soul games have for the most part always had a good single player campaign. SCIII & SCIV did lack in that area so I hope that Broken Destiny brings back a more indepth experience.

As long as they don't take actual spots then it's fine to include them, but I don't want to see them shoehorned into the plot line when characters like Hwang & Li Long are being left out for no reason.

The GameSpot article says they are estimating the roster to be around 30 characters. If that's true, that's enough room for all the main characters from the Soul series to appear not including mimics, so I hope to see all the characters back. Add to that Dampierre and a mimic and I think that's a good roster.

SCIII may not have the best SP modes, but it had many of them.
The really missing mode is the Edge master mode (and maybe Team Battle). Everything else is better in SC3. The tournament mode is awesome.

SC4 ? Crappy story mode, classic Arcade mode and stupid Tower mode. That's what you get :/
They didn't even keep the awesome tutorial mode from SC3 !

TheCardPlayer

Aru said:
SCIII may not have the best SP modes, but it had many of them.
The really missing mode is the Edge master mode (and maybe Team Battle). Everything else is better in SC3. The tournament mode is awesome.

SC4 ? Crappy story mode, classic Arcade mode and stupid Tower mode. That's what you get :/
They didn't even keep the awesome tutorial mode from SC3 !

But SC3 is broken while SCIV isn't. What's that hard to get? What's the point of playing a fighting game when the engine is shitty and no fun?

I don't play SCIV for it's awesome story mode, I play it because it has people playing it and the fighting engine isn't broken. Which is more than anyone can say about SC3.

Xav

TheCardPlayer said:
But SC3 is broken while SCIV isn't. What's that hard to get? What's the point of playing a fighting game when the engine is shitty and no fun?

I don't play SCIV for it's awesome story mode, I play it because it has people playing it and the fighting engine isn't broken. Which is more than anyone can say about SC3.
This

Aske

TheCardPlayer said:

Many of us who aren't hardcore competitive players had fun with SC3's combat engine. Sure, it's not perfectly balanced; but it's a long way from shitty if you're not hyper sensitive to the flaws. That's not to say I don't understand your point of view - I'm hyper sensitive to flaws in third person action games. But it doesn't make sense to call something objectively shitty and no fun if a bunch of people clearly enjoy it.

Some people play fighters just for the competition, and a versus mode is all they need. Others enjoy the mechanics of complex one-on-one fighting with AI opponents, but appreciate the formula being mixed up with SC1-stye missions, or SFA3-style World Tour modes. For all its flaws, I thought SC3's Chronicles mode was awesome. It saved what was an otherwise thoroughly disappointing game, and added a huge amount of depth and replay value because of the leveling system and the elements of battlefield strategy. I've always hated RTS games, but adding the action of Soul Calibur combat allowed me to appreciate elements of the genre in a unique context. The ability to create every character in your party and unlock new fighting styles for your team made me care much more about the fighters I was building. It was awesome.

As others have said, it's not unreasonable to want everyone to be satisfied with a game like this. Fighters can have solid combat refined for competitive play, and the game can still boast a few interesting single player modes that let non competitive players enjoy the engine.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Aske said:
Many of us who aren't hardcore competitive players had fun with SC3's combat engine. Sure, it's not perfectly balanced; but it's a long way from shitty if you're not hyper sensitive to the flaws. That's not to say I don't understand your point of view - I'm hyper sensitive to flaws in third person action games. But it doesn't make sense to call something objectively shitty and no fun if a bunch of people clearly enjoy it.

Some people play fighters just for the competition, and a versus mode is all they need. Others enjoy the mechanics of complex one-on-one fighting with AI opponents, but appreciate the formula being mixed up with SC1-stye missions, or SFA3-style World Tour modes. For all its flaws, I thought SC3's Chronicles mode was awesome. It saved what was an otherwise thoroughly disappointing game, and added a huge amount of depth and replay value because of the leveling system and the elements of battlefield strategy. I've always hated RTS games, but adding the action of Soul Calibur combat allowed me to appreciate elements of the genre in a unique context. The ability to create every character in your party and unlock new fighting styles for your team made me care much more about the fighters I was building. It was awesome.

As others have said, it's not unreasonable to want everyone to be satisfied with a game like this. Fighters can have solid combat refined for competitive play, and the game can still boast a few interesting single player modes that let non competitive players enjoy the engine.

You said it far better than I ever could. Many thanks to you. :)

Edit : Now I want to start a new character in SC3, damnit.... :)

Aru

Aske said:

This.

I'm not a competitive type player and 90% of the time I play against the CPU.

I wasn't even aware of the flaws.

hteng

Banned
ppl that treat fighting games like a single player game, or demand that there be more SP options in the game instead of fine tuning/balancing the characters should be shoot. Balance is always the first priority in any fighting game if its to be successful and long lived ie: SF3S, did the game have a great SP mode? nope, ppl still play it this day? fuck yea coz its an amazing fighting game.

SCIV showing up at this year's EVO showed that it is indeed a valid competitive fighting game, aside from a few sightly overpower characters (Hilde doom combo, Algol's bubbles and zoning abilities), the game is quite balance and very entertaining to watch at high level play.

Pein said:
namco should throw in kratos as an extra character

In an interview 1up posted the director was pretty much taking suggestions for what other characters they should include in the game. So, I guess it's possible that Kratos could end up in it.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
hteng said:
ppl that treat fighting games like a single player game, or demand that there be more SP options in the game instead of fine tuning/balancing the characters should be shoot. Balance is always the first priority in any fighting game if its to be successful and long lived ie: SF3S, did the game have a great SP mode? nope, ppl still play it this day? fuck yea coz its an amazing fighting game.

SCIV showing up at this year's EVO showed that it is indeed a valid competitive fighting game, aside from a few sightly overpower characters (Hilde doom combo, Algol's bubbles and zoning abilities), the game is quite balance and very entertaining to watch at high level play.

No wonder I ran out to buy SC3 for 50 clams after renting it, yet struggle to justify $10 for SC4 (rented it too).

There does need to be a balance in both content and polish. Sacrificing one for the other is never a good thing, but lacking either hurts almost as much as lacking both.

Sword Familiar said:
Hmm, could be. But I think he looks more like a pimped up Bill "The Butcher" Cutting (Daniel Day Lewis) from Gangs of New York:

Compared to Tekken, Soul Calibur has been lacking in terms of characters that looked they were ripped out of popular movies.
Shoot in Tekken you had like three flavors of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Roy Batty from Blade Runner, and Blade! In SC you had uh..a guy that looks sort of like Elvis? Big whoop.

Sectus

TheCardPlayer said:

The glitches wouldn't have had such a negative impact on the competitive community if they simply agreed to ban them. It's mindboggling how the community couldn't agree on such an obvious thing.

Their blind hatred against anything singleplayer in fighting games is a bit annoying too. I had fun with the customization options in SC3 and 4, I had fun with the singleplayer modes in SC3 and 2. Was I wrong in having fun with those modes? Considering the SC series has always had indepth singleplayer modes I'm surprised the hardcore competitive fanbase is so hateful against it.

I generally prefer SC4, but I was disappointed by the modes in that game. And its one big new feature (online play) is unfortunately broken due to the awful netcode.

Top Bottom