• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny announced for the PSP

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
that was pretty good, plenty of game modes and options to keep playing. Also, roster of 25 seems reasonable, if all of them have their own "story" scenes that'll be even better.

Roto13

Video Games Blogger is saying there are two more unannounced characters, though I don't know how reliable they are. Soul Archive usually has placeholders for unannounced characters, don't they?

The entire cast of SC IV (minus the Star Wars characters and those weird guest/clone character gals whose names I don't remember) has been confirmed for it, though. Not surprising, since it's pretty much just portable Soul Calibur IV. :p

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Roto13 said:
The entire cast of SC IV (minus the Star Wars characters) has been confirmed for it, though. Not surprising, since it's pretty much just portable Soul Calibur IV. :p
It does seem to have been rebalanced somewhat. It's not going to play exactly like SCIV.

Freshmaker said:
It does seem to have been rebalanced somewhat. It's not going to play exactly like SCIV.
That's good to hear. I honestly haven't played any SC seriously, but the Evo feed kinda scared me what with Hildegard ringing motherfuckers out left and right from midfield.

obonicus

Roto13 said:
The entire cast of SC IV (minus the Star Wars characters) has been confirmed for it, though. Not surprising, since it's pretty much just portable Soul Calibur IV. :p

Are the designer characters in too? Didn't see them on Soul Archive.

Tellaerin

Roto13 said:
Video Games Blogger is saying there are two more unannounced characters, though I don't know how reliable they are. Soul Archive usually has placeholders for unannounced characters, don't they?

Rebalanced and with improved CaC features. And Kratos. :p And even if it was a completely unenhanced port, is 'just' portable Soul Calibur IV really a bad thing?

Roto13

Oh, yeah, the guest characters. I haven't seen them confirmed. *edits post*

EDIT:

Rebalanced and with improved CaC features. And Kratos. :p And even if it was a completely unenhanced port, is 'just' portable Soul Calibur IV really a bad thing?

Nope. Not bad at all. :p The stages and characters are mostly reused for IV, and even with rebalancing, you can be sure nobody is going to have a radically different moveset, but none of that bothers me. :p Soul Calibur IV on the go is a great thing, with or without a ton of new content. I've had SCIV since launch, but I'll definitely be buying this version too. One of the reasons I bought a PSP recently.

Roto13 said:

The entire cast of SC IV (minus the Star Wars characters and those weird guest/clone character gals whose names I don't remember) has been confirmed for it, though. Not surprising, since it's pretty much just portable Soul Calibur IV. :p

Nariko and Kai? Sackboy? Afro Samurai (it was a NB game I think)?

Cromat

I wish this had online play... I don't really see the point in a portable fighting game without online, who are you going to fight?

The ghost data thing is nice but it's still isn't a subsitute for playing against real humans.

Roto13

I don't care if he wouldn't fit and his hitbox would be weird and only has one weapon and it's a gun. I would totally play as Sackboy. :p

Roto13 said:
If true, Hwang and Li Long please.

Also, the way the roster page is set up on the BD page, there are no placeholders. Before the last set of characters announced (Rock, Amy, etc.), there were no empty spots. The just keep adding to the roster bar for each new character so more combatants could certainly be added to the page.

Tellaerin

Cromat said:
I wish this had online play... I don't really see the point in a portable fighting game without online, who are you going to fight?

The ghost data thing is nice but it's still isn't a subsitute for playing against real humans.

It still has local multiplayer via wi-fi, doesn't it? That's the impression I had, anyway. If so, you can always get together with some friends and play. Or maybe use that PSP tunneling thing that lets you play ad-hoc games online through your PS3, if you have one?

Besides, some of us enjoy playing against the CPU, unlocking stuff, seeing the endings, etc. I know that's a totally alien mindset to the 'I don't need anything in my fighting games besides multiplayer/fighting vs. CPU is only practice for the real thing/I only care about fighting other people' crowd, but it looks like the single-player content is going to be more than sufficient to keep me happy.

This is day one for me, but the preview makes it seem like it's a little light on features for a namco fighting game. No real bonus modes (Labirinth, Chronicles of the sword, Soul arena) to speak of, no arcade mode and I didn't see any of the odd weapons (with enhancements) that are usually there. Hopefully they'll at least add ghosts.

Cromat

I wonder why there aren't any online PSP fighting games and very few for the DS (the Bleach games and Jump Ultimate Stars?). It seems a genre pretty fit for portabled since you can practice on the go and matches are usually pretty quick.

Probably because the network code isn't good enough, though the DS games are fine right?

To me playing a fighting game without human competition is pretty... pointless.
And about the PS3 tunneling thing, you could just play Soul Calibur 4 in that case, and have better online with many players.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cromat said:
I wonder why there aren't any online PSP fighting games and very few for the DS (the Bleach games and Jump Ultimate Stars?). It seems a genre pretty fit for portabled since you can practice on the go and matches are usually pretty quick.

Probably because the network code isn't good enough, though the DS games are fine right?

And about the PS3 tunneling thing, you could just play Soul Calibur 4 in that case, and have better online with many players.
lag. the moment you get serious about a fighter lag becomes your worst enemy. and figters are a 'hardcore' genre, so people are usually serious about them.

plus, you can also keep tabs on your opponent with the corner of your eye, be aware of their emotions - an important factor.

apropos, vs tetris is the same.

Tellaerin

Cromat said:

That's cool. Different strokes, yadda yadda yadda. I just get annoyed when people who don't care about the single-player elements take it upon themselves to tell the people who like them that this isn't what they should care about, and that because they don't care about those elements, they're a 'waste of time' for developers and should be eliminated. (Not saying you're saying that, but more than one person here has said something similar. :p )

*laugh* Point taken about the tunneling. I wasn't thinking when I typed that, just remembering people playing Phantasy Star Portable that way. >.> Though you could play SC online while you're on the can if you did that, which I suppose is nice. :lol

Aaron

_dementia said:
Hildegard ringing motherfuckers out left and right from midfield.
I had no problem doing this in the PSP version, so that might not be fixed. Her reach is just game breaking. Same was true of the lance set for custom characters in SC3. You shouldn't have any trouble beating her AI controlled though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
_dementia said:
That's good to hear. I honestly haven't played any SC seriously, but the Evo feed kinda scared me what with Hildegard ringing motherfuckers out left and right from midfield.
Eh. Most of the Nor Cal players were claiming she was unbeatable prior to Evo. The Hilde players still ended up losing despite that combo. It's scary and it can turn around a match real fast, but it wasn't enough. (It's actually pretty easy to side step, and it's only really dangerous as a whiff punisher.)

Kilik can do a similar thing with one of his command throws. He can even combo Asura dance off of it which will insure a RO from a huge distance too. He wasn't even a factor at Evo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8-KphU6wk

V_Arnold

Do you guys think that it is possible for this edition to somehow find its way back to consoles? I am not wishing for a DLC because I am not sure if Namco wants to downsize the appeal of a PSP port (these games are very important in a "relaunch" as big as PSP GO!'s) , but I would really love at least the new characters (excl. Kratos, I bought SCIV for 360), and the rebalancing would not hurt either.

thaOwner

First fighting games I might buy in years depending on if there is a demo or not. Looks pretty darn good for a handheld game.

thaOwner said:
First fighting games I might buy in years depending on if there is a demo or not. Looks pretty darn good for a handheld game.

Never thought of a demo, but it might be likely since all namco would have to do is do a touched up version of the E3 demo and call it a day.

hteng

Banned
Hilde's Doom combo is nerfed somewhat in broken destiny, the range in which she rings out is shorten but the other subsets of the doom combo still works.

anyway, many characters has at least 1 or 2 ring out tool/combo in SC4 but not as good as hilde's.

Her C3B has very long range, and launches very high, quite safe due to its range but extremely linear, it is a very good whiff punisher.

Her C3A is a Mid that covers step, tech crouches, has auto-gi frames, fairly safe, decently fast and also launches.

There's really no draw back for her when using these moves cept C3B since its linear and you can punish her by stepping.

Compare her to other characters that are capable of long range ring out

Ivy has a equally long ring out range, but its not as easy to setup and most of them starts out as a counter hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK_0wS8x8l8

Kilik's Festival of the damned -> Asura Dance is an execellent reverse ring out, but FotD is a grab that has shitty range, is a high move and can be broke free like a normal grab break. Not to mention executing both moves are quite difficult.

Nightmare was the undisputed ring out king in SC3 but he retains most of his staple ring out tools in SC4. He has the most well rounded ring out tools, He can virtually ring you out from any direction (left, right, front, back, even grounded opponents). Most his moves are either unsafe or can be ducked/evaded/air controlled.. so if he screws up he'll be punish big time, just like the omega guy's game vs the cernian guy.
He also has an equally long range ring out combo but it can be air control out of it and not easy to connect.

Vader's force pick ups are also very good ring out tools, but his other moves are kinda meh

Zasalamel has an excellent reverse ring out, alot of of his move toss people behind, but his ring out game can be predicted easily and not to mention his move are unsafe

Do you guys think that it is possible for this edition to somehow find its way back to consoles? I am not wishing for a DLC because I am not sure if Namco wants to downsize the appeal of a PSP port (these games are very important in a "relaunch" as big as PSP GO!'s) , but I would really love at least the new characters (excl. Kratos, I bought SCIV for 360), and the rebalancing would not hurt either.

its too early to tell at the moment, SC4 has been out for more than 1 year, the only support from Namco has been DLCs, there was only 1 major game update but not all issues were solved, so you get the idea on how much support namco is providing.

Fans has been asking namco for the Arcade Edition version, hopefully they are listening and will include all the fixes and new additions to it and then later port it to consoles.

I think the chances are high for them to bring the updates to a new game but they have not shown any support so far, hopefully there'll be something after Broken Destiny releases.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
V_Arnold said:
Namco's released a rebalancing patch before. Dunno why they couldn't patch the console versions too once Broken Destiny comes out.

Heck, even adding new characters shouldn't be that hard. They could sneak 'em into a patch too.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Die Squirrel Die said:
Nariko and Kai? Sackboy? Afro Samurai (it was a NB game I think)?
Nariko and Kai seem like a good fit. Although I don't know how Kai's, uh, twang-twang would work in SC...

DTJAAAAM said:
Yes, agreed. I was shocked that they weren't playable in Soul Calibur 4, especially since the game seemed like a "finale" due to the endings.
Dude, SCIV sold well, I wouldn't be shocked if SCV is announced soon.

Roto13

Dated for North America, according to Siliconera. September 1st, just a few days after the Japanese release date of August 27th. Not surprising, since the last couple of Soul Calibur games have actually come out in North America before Japan.

Kratos looks fun as heck!
I hope they dont ruin him with dumb stances like they run almost the entire cast

I mean, Ivy was awesome in SC1, SC2 but then got ruined in SC3 and even more ruined in SC4

Xiaoki

twinturbo2 said:
Dude, SCIV sold well, I wouldn't be shocked if SCV is announced soon.
In an interview the director or executive producer(forget who) said that SC4 was designed to be the last in the series. They would consider doing SC5 if SC4 sold extremely well.
In the end Im sure Namco will make one last bid at milking the series and make a spin off sequel, meaning completely new cast.

SC4 PSP continues to impress.

I must have missed this but do those little 3 vertical bars below the life bar mean that the rip the clothes off feature is still intact? :D

Kratos' character model and Dampierre's fighting style have me sold on this game. I hope the inclusion of Kratos in this game shows Sony WWS the full potential of ripping off Super Smash Bros., even for the PSP. In fact, if Sony isn't completely sold on the idea, then what's the purpose of the PSP if not to provide a hotbed for experimental content now that they'll be going for a digital distribution business model anyway?

Spiegel

Alternate costumes for Kratos and Dampierre:

9ppeuf.jpg

1sfhix.jpg

258o7b7.jpg

trr7yawq4ulcvmxebpw4dk92t84x8vb4sfsdf826.jpg

entremet

Does anyone know if Namco has announced if this game will be available on PSN day and date of release? I'm tired of UMD's.

Top Bottom