• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen cast: Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis and more

That's actually pretty sad.

They don't have enough people working on the game and constantly put them in development hell, but then they blow their money on star power for voice acting?

If the people working there weren't pissed, I do wonder if they are now.

Trace

Banned
I mean, most of those people are talented actors but I'll never understand this trend of hiring hollywood actors when there's probably a bunch of talented VAs out there waiting to get roles.

Especially for a crowd funded game, I think it's weird.

It depends on what the voice is being used for. Oldman is an amazing actor, so basing a character off him would be better than just a talented VA.

They don't have enough people working on the game and constantly put them in development hell, but then they blow their money on star power for voice acting?

Don't they have like 200+ developers now?

Video here: http://www.gamestar.de/videos/trailer,3/star-citizen-squadron-42,85476.html

1444509880-star-citizen-gary-oldman.jpg

Nice, but no match for Nate. Not even close.

tuxfool

Banned
But how much of that is being read by Oldman/Strong/Anderson/etc? MGS V's script is massive, yet Sutherland's lines probably only make up a small percentage of it.

I don't know. What they said was that it was large because the characters are dynamic. What they say to you and how they respond to you depends on your choices and how well you do in the game.

Agremont

They don't? 270 people working on it now.

Starviper

They have 270 working on it dude

I mean, most of those people are talented actors but I'll never understand this trend of hiring hollywood actors when there's probably a bunch of talented VAs out there waiting to get roles.

The presence of a huge stars will make people consider this game, when they may have totally ignored it beforehand. It unquestionably moves this game into the realm of AAA releases.

Plus, these are talented actors. If they're using facial capture, you're going to get a performance that can't be created by animators.

Great cast, but not a single non-white face. What's up with that?
I mean this is Star Citizen, whose forum goers were at one point arguing for rape to be in the game or something. Doubt they care much about social equality but would love to be proven wrong.

Walpurgis

Banned
I didn't know that this game had a story. With such a large investment in securing expensive actors, I hope they secure a good writer and director.
So that's what they spent all that Kickstarter money on eh
5I5s8.png
Seems like a waste of money, imo.
Great cast, but not a single non-white face. What's up with that?
Gaming. Just be happy that there's a woman in there.

Squire

Banned
It depends on what the voice is being used for. Oldman is an amazing actor, so basing a character off him would be better than just a talented VA.

Don't they have like 200+ developers now?

They have 270 working on it dude

They don't? 270 people working on it now.

The devs that get worked the hardest belong to teams of hundreds.

Like, Assassins Creed is made by, what, 600 people? And the devs still have crunch, and the games still launch buggy and broken. 270 is neither an impressive nor a comforting number.

The actual Star Citizen is so big that Squadron 42 using extra budget to go for mass appeal to help fund its big brother may be reasonable, yet a risky strategy.

Trace

Banned
Very little for how many features they need to complete.

Well sorry that they don't have the same number of developers as Ubisoft over the course of 3 years.

I guess I should go tell Indie devs to stop making games because you can't make anything ambitious without a thousand developers.

twas a stretchgoal

Nzyme32

Here is bit more on the cast (I don't know the last ones):

• Gary Oldman - Batman / Fifth Element / Tinker Tailor Solider Spy
  • Mark Hamill - Star Wars / Batman [Joker]
  • Mark Strong - Kingsmen / Sherlock Holmes
  • Gillian Anderson - X-Files
  • Liam Cunningham - Game Of Thrones [Davos] / Wind That Shakes the Barley / Dr Who
  • Andy Serkis - Lord of the Rings / Planet of the Apes
  • John Rhys Davies - Lord of the Rings [Gimli], Indiana Jones [Sallah]
  • Rhona Mitra - Shooter / Underworld
  • Sophie Wu - Kick Ass
  • Ben Mendelsohn - Dark Knight Rises [Daggett]
  • Jack Huston - Broadwalk Empire [Harrow]
  • Gemma Whelan - Game of Thrones [Yara]
  • Harry Treadaway - Control
  • Craig Fairbrass - Eastenders
  • Ian Duncan
  • Sandi Gardiner

Squire

Banned
Well sorry that they don't have the same number of developers as Ubisoft over the course of 3 years.

I guess I should go tell Indie devs to stop making games because you can't make anything ambitious without a thousand developers.

They have the money to though. That's why it's weird. But they opted to hire celebrities.

It's an indie team mis-prioritizing in the same way AAA publishers do. That's at least a little worrying, at best.

I haven't been following this game at all, so I had no idea this game was being made by people behind Wing Commander. It took the names Mark Hamill and John Rys Davies on the same cast to make me aware of this.

This is one hell of a cast. The behind the scenes video was amazing to watch and see all of those actors working on the game.

Nah they can get more. There are few genres still not promised to be in the game yet that will get more people to sink money in this well forseen upcoming disaster. Let's say football could be added.

Joke if you want, I'd put down a hundred bucks for a AAA future space football game in this engine.

Top Bottom