• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen cast: Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis and more

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mark Hamill was in Wing Commander 3, 4 and Prophecy (i.e. 5)

John Rhys-Davies was in Wing Commander 3 and 4

Oh cool, they're actually shooting at the mocap studio that Andy Serkis founded.

yep, they did. and his company is doing a lot of post-mocap work for the game.

Aselith

Actually, I'm still not sure what the fuck kind of game this is supposed to be. That footage one of y'all shared with me, didn't give me a clear idea.

Squad 42 will be like the Wing Commannder games; sort of directed space flight games

The main game the multiplayer will be a freeroaming space game sort of like the X-series and Elite: Dangerous with a persistent universe and players moving around and interacting

Justinh

Mark Hamill was in Wing Commander 3, 4 and Prophecy (i.e. 5)

John Rhys-Davies was in Wing Commander 3 and 4

I was just about to post that "Paladin is back!" but there it is right there...

I'd really, really love to see Tom Wilson join the cast, too.
It's freaking amazing as it is now, though...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's Wing Commander. You've played that, right?

Wing Commander space combat missions mixed with ARMA tactical FPS missions, basically, along with first-person "walking around the mothership talking with characters, earning reputation and advancing the story" in between missions.

Par Score

So in 2016 I'm getting a lavishly produced AAA space-sim for the low, low price of $30. And that's just a small part of the overall package.

Crowd funding is an incredible thing.

TheAssist

So much technology for something rather mediocre looking.
The camera direction in this doesnt help.
I mean sorry, but MGS V runs on consoles and its characters look less uncanny valley and Kojima is a beast when it comes to direction. It looks much better.

Also, it would have been nice if they used all that PC power for better hair animation. I think this is still one of the weakest links when creating realistic characters in games.

Agremont

I mean sorry, but MGS V runs on consoles and its characters look less uncanny valley and Kojima is a beast when it comes to direction. It looks much better.

Also, it would have been nice if they used all that PC power for better hair animation. I think this is still one of the weakest links when creating realistic characters in games.

Well if you had listened to what Chris said, the characters were not finished yet.

RK9039

LOL MGSV.

Nzyme32

You can spot the people not following Star Citzen or even what was said in these announcements

That probably is the most impressive cast I've seen in a game, but that Game is a huge NO NO for me, so I'd rather watch their performances on youtube.

bede-x

There's lots of stuff that could stand to be improved, animation in particular, but we are dealing with an unfinished game with an entirely different ambition level than what most other games dare go for. I think it's almost impossible to pull of a game with this kind of scale (especially without some jank), however the very fact that they are attempting it is hugely exciting to me and for that alone I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt.

TheAssist

Well if you had listened to what Chris said, the characters were not finished yet.

I highly doubt that there will be major changes. In the recent past "not finished" usually meant "its probably getting worse".

LOL MGSV.

Yes MGSV. Thanks for the input. It has some amazing camera direction. It actually takes advantage of the fact that games dont need actual cameras, which in my opinion puts it above the "cinematic" style many games go for, because thats something movies rarely accomplish. Its hard to do and mostly unnecessary, but it works here.
For those who havent noticed. There are no cuts in MGS V.

I guess it doesnt matter to much, since most people are in it for the space simulation, but if the developer decides to do such a making of, I feel I can criticize and focus purely on what I see in this making of, without caring about the rest.
Anyway, all I'm saying is that the character in this trailer looks uncanny and the voice doesnt quite fir the look in my opinion.
But hey, if they prove me wrong and make it look good until release, I'm fine with that as well.

edit: seriously guys, no need to get super defensive about this. Jesus. I just stated my opinion on this making of. The dude looks uncanny to me. No need for the "Oh duh, you dont know anything about the game" As a matter of fact, I dont :) . I know cutscenes arent going to be a major thing in this game, but these videos werent about anything else.

I highly doubt that there will be major changes. In the recent past "not finished" usually meant "its probably getting worse".

Yes MGSV. Thanks for the input. It has some amazing camera direction. It actually takes advantage of the fact that games dont need actual cameras, which in my opinion puts it above the "cinematic" style many games go for, because thats something movies rarely accomplish. Its hard to do and mostly unnecessary, but it works here.

I guess it doesnt matter to much, since most people are in it for the space simulation, but if the developer decides to do such a making of, I feel I can criticize and focus purely on what I see in this making of, without caring about the rest.
Anyway, all I'm saying is that the character in this trailer looks uncanny and the voice doesnt quite fir the look in my oppinion.
But hey, if they prove me wrong and make it look good until release, I'm fine with that as well.
It really does not have "amazing" direction. It's pretty good, nothing more.

RK9039

Anyway, all I'm saying is that the character in this trailer looks uncanny and the voice doesnt quite fir the look in my oppinion.

Camera direction? you posted: 'but MGS V runs on consoles and its characters look less uncanny valley', you were probably referring to the video in OP, which is why I found your post funny.

I agree about Kojima and his camera direction skills, he's a genius, but the SC video wasn't about camera direction, it was to show off Gary Oldman's wrinkly face.

Nzyme32

This is so cringe worthy. You haven't followed this at all, or even what was explained at the event. It isn't in a complete state, but they show it for the benefit of the backers. Much like the quality of the previous things they showed and improved upon when put out publicly.

In fact, you haven't even followed MGSV - there are cuts. Just one example off the top of my head
before fighting Sahelanthropus, you see the cut to from the helicopter with Huey, the kid and child 3, then a cut down to where snake is.
There are definitely multiple cuts, same with GZ - but I see your point, there are lots of areas of no cuts. And "amazing direction" - please. This isn't true at all. Good sure, but nothing stellar, particularly with the all the learing

Now kiss.
XrS2CXo.jpg

best I could do :/

Bonus:
8YRoMLi.jpg

TheAssist

This is so cringe worthy. You haven't followed this at all, or even what was explained at the event. It isn't in a complete state, but they show it for the benefit of the backers. Much like the quality of the previous things they showed and improved upon when put out publicly.

Here is my point of view:

I dont know anything about SC. I only watched a view gameplay videos of it and the early announcement trailer.
As far as I can remember they made quite a big deal about it being on PC only and Cry Engine and how good it will look.
Now I see they released sort of a tech demo. And I'm interested to see how good it looks. Just as an outside bystander. I dont care if this was made for backers or how much context is needed.
My anticipation for this video was "Oh they want to show me how great this is going to look". And from what I heard them saying in these videos, that was kinda the point. And guess what, I was not too impressed. Its not bad. Its just not amazing and in my opinion uncanny and no tech can do anything against that. The reason I brought up MGSV originally was because I just played it and I did not find these characters uncanny. There was clearly a different art direction at place that circumvented this issue, without simulating blood flow when pressing your lips.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I think some people got a little bit too much on the defense, but guess I was a little bit pushing for it :D .

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
One of these days I'm going to figure out what the hell Star Citizen is.

It's an MMO in space, or as it's sometimes called, a "first-person universe." It's Wing Commander Privateer taken to a couple magnitudes of higher fidelity and interactivity.

Hopefully we see the director take full advantage of all this Hollywood talent and conveys emotion through facial expressions rather than the outdated method of using voice acting.

Darkangel

The presence of a huge stars will make people consider this game, when they may have totally ignored it beforehand. It unquestionably moves this game into the realm of AAA releases.

Plus, these are talented actors. If they're using facial capture, you're going to get a performance that can't be created by animators.

I had no interest in Star Citizen up until now.

I figured it was just another multiplayer space game like No Mans Sky or Elite Dangerous. I had no idea there would be some kind of singleplayer campaign. Gary Oldman is one of my favourite actors, and I love scifi, so this is definitely on my radar now.

Top Bottom