• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
TreIII said:
For one, Famitsu has about as much authority to talk about FGs on that type of level as a western publication like EGM does. And that's not much at all. They're both magazines that try to do more to cater to casual/broader interests, so really, just how much in the way of in-depth analysis can we expect from the likes of them?

I mean, these are the same guys that gave KOF XI a 28/40, in spite of the fact that most players agree it's the best game in the series since 98/02. Then they gave Sengoku BASARA X the same score(28/40), despite the fact that most agree that it's widely known as being probably the single WORST FG that ASW has made. :lol

So, to say that I don't really place that much value in Famitsu's opinions, especially when it comes to FGs, is an understatement.

I'm gonna have to disagree on this. Famitsu, unlike EGM and other western magazines, actually has a recognized player on their editorial staff in BunBunMaru. Whether they put him to task on fighting games is a totally different story -- and if they don't they are not utilizing his knowledge -- but let's not say that they don't have anyone who knows something about fighting games on their staff. To my knowledge no one in a western publication, other than Jason Wilson, was really recognized as a knowledgable fighting game fan.

Also, for those who are interested, TvC is out in arcades since yesterday. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a related note, main site updated with all the test vids (so far) and some Tatsunoko vs Capcom contest.

Tenbatsu

0726_A15.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Reno said:
Also, for those who are interested, TvC is out in arcades since yesterday. :p
Have you played it yet, Reno? I'd love to hear your impressions.

Feral Youth said:
Bah, always said I'd never touch a Wii and now this shit. Bring on Wednesday.
So you won't play Wii.... except for the games you're interested in? Imagine that.

outsidah

Ok now that were almost there does someone have the latest quick and dirty way to play this on an US Wii? I dont keep up with anything Wii related so indulge me :)

Link said:
So you won't play Wii.... except for the games you're interested in? Imagine that.

Come on now don't be a bitch, I'm so use to playing games in one way and the Wii pretty much forces you to play things differently.

Actually I got one last night, and low and behold I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

I played this a little in the arcades, but every time I tried it was either against someone who would wail on me with the same combo over and over while I was still trying to figure out someone other than Ryu, or it was against the CPU set to "Absolute Dick" mode. One thing I've noticed that Marvel Vs Capcom-style "push-blocking" is in there, but it's a lot harder to do. I even played a little MvsC2 later that confirmed it for me. I had a lot of trouble forcing my way out of a particular combo by Chun-Li, to the point where it was like sticking 100 Yen in and walking away from the controls. All I could do was Mega Crash to stall, and then they were right back into the launcher and I was stuck watching them knock me around for 9 or 10 hits.

I'm going to buy the Wii version, though, there's no question. Especially for Joe.

2DMention

Banned
outsidah said:
Ok now that were almost there does someone have the latest quick and dirty way to play this on an US Wii? I dont keep up with anything Wii related so indulge me :)

You're gonna have to:

1.) Buy another US Wii, Don't take it online, use a freeloader (Use it for imports only)

2.) Buy a JP Wii.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kulock said:
I played this a little in the arcades, but every time I tried it was either against someone who would wail on me with the same combo over and over while I was still trying to figure out someone other than Ryu, or it was against the CPU set to "Absolute Dick" mode. One thing I've noticed that Marvel Vs Capcom-style "push-blocking" is in there, but it's a lot harder to do. I even played a little MvsC2 later that confirmed it for me. I had a lot of trouble forcing my way out of a particular combo by Chun-Li, to the point where it was like sticking 100 Yen in and walking away from the controls. All I could do was Mega Crash to stall, and then they were right back into the launcher and I was stuck watching them knock me around for 9 or 10 hits.

I'm going to buy the Wii version, though, there's no question. Especially for Joe.

Keep in mind that I played only the Wii version at TGS and at the Osaka den den test, but I never really experienced any sort of wall lock.

Then again, I had quite a few chances to play the game with friends I will be playing the Wii version with, and fucking loved it. Granted, it's all anecdotal, so it's not like I have a definitive opinion or anything, but I really really loved all that I played. I play with friends that are at the same skill level as myself.

thetrin said:
Keep in mind that I played only the Wii version at TGS and at the Osaka den den test, but I never really experienced any sort of wall lock.

Oh, I wasn't complaining about a wall lock, I just didn't know enough of the game to do a decent job defending myself against a few individuals who'd clearly played it more than me. I'm a middling shotoscrub at best, so it was probably more of a skill issue than balancing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kulock said:
Oh, I wasn't complaining about a wall lock, I just didn't know enough of the game to do a decent job defending myself against a few individuals who'd clearly played it more than me. I'm a middling shotoscrub at best, so it was probably more of a skill issue than balancing.

I'm a shotoscrub myself. :lol

In TvC I've been playing Ryu/Casshern or Ryu/Karas. Great teams if you ask me.

I'm beyond disappointed that I have to fuck with another system hack/mod to play this. Now that I'm finally making enough money to legitimately buy every game that I want, I've kind of given up the idea of modding or hacking my consoles. Five years ago I was still modding my systems, but I'd really prefer not to now.

Now, before everyone starts bitching that "it's really easy" and "it'll take a few minutes", please realize that it's not a time or ability issue at hand. Rather, it's the desire to not have to worry about Nintendo locking out my Wii via firmware updates in the near future. The homebrew channel clearly leaves that door wide open, and thus I'm not interested. The Twilight Hack seems like a fairly safe option, but no one has explained how to play imports using it.

Eh, I know I'm just complaining -- like I often do. But, we have to realize that the amount of us who really want this to come to the US have clearly dwindled from year's past. And, outside of the copyright issues at hand, Capcom knows it.

Boss Doggie

It's not like you have to worry about it once you have installed Gecko OS. AFAIK once it's installed it doesn't get deleted.

thetrin

Superblatt said:
I'm beyond disappointed that I have to fuck with another system hack/mod to play this. Now that I'm finally making enough money to legitimately buy every game that I want, I've kind of given up the idea of modding or hacking my consoles. Five years ago I was still modding my systems, but I'd really prefer not to now.

Now, before everyone starts bitching that "it's really easy" and "it'll take a few minutes", please realize that it's not a time or ability issue at hand. Rather, it's the desire to not have to worry about Nintendo locking out my Wii via firmware updates in the near future. The homebrew channel clearly leaves that door wide open, and thus I'm not interested. The Twilight Hack seems like a fairly safe option, but no one has explained how to play imports using it.

Eh, I know I'm just complaining -- like I often do. But, we have to realize that the amount of us who really want this to come to the US have clearly dwindled from year's past. And, outside of the copyright issues at hand, Capcom knows it.

Dude, I feel for you. Idiot decisions should never make your life more difficult.

Boss Doggie

YAMI GOOD QUALITY VID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0sB1wOvGm8&fmt=6

Wait for it to process. Otherwise: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5467100

Each form deals huge damage.

Your party recovers after each "form", but only because Yami deals so much damage. He also doesn't "freeze" when doing supers.

<3 Okami reference where Yami 2nd form sucks out the Celestial Brush powers from Ammy (in this case Yami sucks it from your character).

Each form has its own music - and man, 3rd form... the music made me cry - if only because it reminds me of Okami...

Also, Yami has epic laser of doom!

Boss Doggie

OOOH THE NUMBERS AND DAYS LEFT! I wasn't looking at them. I was looking at the facial expressions of the soccer player. XD

And well, to be fair, Casshern and Morrigan were nearly dead, so that super killed them.

Yami puts Master Hand and Crazy Hand to shame.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ookami-kun said:
OOOH THE NUMBERS AND DAYS LEFT! I wasn't looking at them. I was looking at the facial expressions of the soccer player. XD

And well, to be fair, Casshern and Morrigan were nearly dead, so that super killed them.

Yami puts Master Hand and Crazy Hand to shame.

Tabuu would kick his ass though, cheapass motherfucker

sprocket

Banned
Superblatt said:

if you have the money to buy every game you want. why not just buy a japanese Wii?

TreIII

HK-47 said:
Tabuu would kick his ass though, cheapass motherfucker

Nah. See, Tabuu is easy enough, once you basically figure out how to deal with his main trump.

The best Final Bosses that Capcom and, ESPECIALLY SNK, would have to offer? They would send you out to work that corner, and you would LIKE IT. That's all there is to it. :lol

Compared to the likes of KOF99 Krizalid, or even MvC's Onslaught, Tabuu is nothing. Hopefully, Yami won't disappoint, especially on high levels of difficulty.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TreIII said:
Nah. See, Tabuu is easy enough, once you basically figure out how to deal with his main trump.

The best Final Bosses that Capcom and, ESPECIALLY SNK, would have to offer? They would send you out to work that corner, and you would LIKE IT. That's all there is to it. :lol

Compared to the likes of KOF99 Krizalid, or even MvC's Onslaught, Tabuu is nothing. Hopefully, Yami won't disappoint, especially on high levels of difficulty.

Yeah but Smash doesnt have corners =P

vertopci

HK-47 said:
Yeah but Smash doesnt have corners =P

The AI in smash is also shit compared to other fighting games. Where did smash even come from in this thread :lol

And the bosses are pathetically easy in Smash games. They have nothing on SNK/Capcom bosses

Anyone know how long it usually takes to receive an import from play-asia? Like a week after its release in japan? Or longer?

TreIII

vertopci said:
Anyone know how long it usually takes to receive an import from play-asia? Like a week after its release in japan? Or longer?

Really depends on 2 things at this point.

1) Your shipping option. EMS, FedEX and UPS will be the options that could stand to get you the stuff the fastest. And since Japanese games end up actually launching FIRST in places like Hong Kong, there's a high chance that, depending on where you live, you may actually get to play the game BEFORE the Japanese do. Funny how that works... :lol

On the other hand, if you choose the cheaper shipping options, then that could be a mixed bag. You COULD possibly end up getting the game a week afterward. Or, especially around Christmas time, you may have to wait even longer. Or it might get "lost" in the mail some how.

My thoughts, don't go with cheap shipping, if you can help it.

2) Availability. A guy over at GFaqs just recently emailed play-asia about availability, and it seems that it will definitely be a thing of "first come, first serve". The earlier you placed your order, the more likely you'll be a part of that initial shipment of games. Others may have to wait a lil while longer, for a second shipment.

That's why I'm glad I didn't mess around...I pre-ordered that sucker months ago with some others, because I KNEW that this was going to happen...

Dascu

Damn, I guess it's about time I order it.

As for the region-free aspect: Twilight Hack -> Homebrew Channel -> Gecko-OS, right? Will this screw up anything else (like not being able to use Shop Channel or something?). Also note that I've already updated to 3.4. Seeing how there's already a Twilight Hack update adaptable to this firmware version, I shouldn't have any problems with the HBC or Gecko-OS, right?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
vertopci said:
The AI in smash is also shit compared to other fighting games. Where did smash even come from in this thread :lol

And the bosses are pathetically easy in Smash games. They have nothing on SNK/Capcom bosses

Smash
(Melee, fuck Brawl)
isn't better because of the AI or bosses, it's better because of the higher level of technical skill it takes, the movement freedom, and the much larger movesets. It's a harder game to master.

Seriously. Ask Justin Wong.

2DMention

Banned
TreIII said:
Really depends on 2 things at this point.

1) Your shipping option. EMS, FedEX and UPS will be the options that could stand to get you the stuff the fastest. And since Japanese games end up actually launching FIRST in places like Hong Kong, there's a high chance that, depending on where you live, you may actually get to play the game BEFORE the Japanese do. Funny how that works... :lol

On the other hand, if you choose the cheaper shipping options, then that could be a mixed bag. You COULD possibly end up getting the game a week afterward. Or, especially around Christmas time, you may have to wait even longer. Or it might get "lost" in the mail some how.

My thoughts, don't go with cheap shipping, if you can help it.

2) Availability. A guy over at GFaqs just recently emailed play-asia about availability, and it seems that it will definitely be a thing of "first come, first serve". The earlier you placed your order, the more likely you'll be a part of that initial shipment of games. Others may have to wait a lil while longer, for a second shipment.

That's why I'm glad I didn't mess around...I pre-ordered that sucker months ago with some others, because I KNEW that this was going to happen...

I always get slow-boat shipping, and for some reason I always get my games from Play-Asia on a Saturday.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Feral Youth said:
Come on now don't be a bitch, I'm so use to playing games in one way and the Wii pretty much forces you to play things differently.

Actually I got one last night, and low and behold I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.
Haha, sorry, I wasn't trying to be an ass, it just sounded funny how you worded it.

Don't worry about controls; the game is compatible with both the Classic Controller and the Gamecube controller.

Hate to partially derail this thread, but where's a good place to get PAL imports? Disastuh isn't looking likely for NA and neither is Fatal Frame 4.

And I think Captain Rainbow is getting a PAL release as well. I figure once I get my import feet wet with Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I'll move on to games that'll I'll actually be able to follow. :lol

Top Bottom