• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
robut said:
Tekkaman's second super rapes the big guys. I think he might be a bit too powerful. Has anyone done Polymer's second super? I can't get the timing down.

Nah, it takes forever to start.

Polymar's Polymar Drill can be done by pressing Weak+Medium -> Weak+Medium -> Medium+Fierce in quick succession.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm not surprised. It's to my knowledge that vs games never really did that well in japan. If right, then it makes me question why the fuck we don't have a vs game stateside. :mad:

At any rate. Roll looks like a lot of fun to play. XD

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oldschoolgamer said:
I'm not surprised. It's to my knowledge that vs games never really did that well in japan. If right, then it makes me question why the fuck we don't have a vs game stateside. :mad:

From the other thread:

The_lascar said:
First weeks from Famitsu :

Marvel Vs. Capcom (DC) 62 373
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (DC) 72 388
Capcom Vs. SNK (DC) 143 915
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 (PS2) 168 531

Mind you, those are first week numbers. But there's also:

Captain Smoker said:
from 2chan:

Tatsunoko shipment: 70.000

15.000 = 21,43 %

I expect ~ 22.500 first week (15.000 x 1,5), would be 32,14 % of the shipment.

Unless the game suddenly sparks sales during the rest of the week, it bombed.

Deep in my heart, I'm hoping this becomes an evergreen title and is in actuality a slow-burner.
I'm delusional.

Tenbatsu

The shipment is not confirm if its 70000 or 35000 so its still early to say whether the game bomb not. Also, some folks reported that some shops are sold out.

Guymelef said:
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 DC Week 1 72,444
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 PS2. Week 1 50,042

This was during the twilight of 2D fighters, just look at recent sales of King of Fighters XI or Guilty Gear on consoles.Even though this isn't horrid for a fighting game it still is far less then what Capcom was expecting with a fighter of this budget.

SilverLunar said:
No, that's terrible.

There is at least a Million, a freaking million Smash Bros. fans that could have bought it.

Why aren't they buying the game?

Because Capcom pushed the game toward traditional fighting fans?

Boss Doggie

Again, the game has just been released. It'd be quite unfair if we simply grab the sales a day after its release.

I still want to unlock some 3P costumes.

fusoya59

So this has been confirmed to work with Gecko right?

With that out of the way, my Wii's still running on 3.2U. Do I need to upgrade to 3.4U? If so how would I go about doing that using HBC?

Thanks.

Dascu

fusoya59 said:
So this has been confirmed to work with Gecko right?

With that out of the way, my Wii's still running on 3.2U. Do I need to upgrade to 3.4U? If so how would I go about doing that using HBC?

Thanks.
You can install the Homebrew Channel (and Gecko-OS) on 3.4, so you can upgrade if you want.

amodf

I was thinking you could link after Batsu's air fireball. If he only had a good assist he'd be perfect.

Are there 3P costumes for Tatsunoko characters? You can buy 3p costumes in the shop for capcom characters after you play their minigame, but no tatusnoko costumes have appeared in the shop for me.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Dascu said:
You can install the Homebrew Channel (and Gecko-OS) on 3.4, so you can upgrade if you want.

Be careful though, as the 3.4 update allows Nintendo to update your console without warning you, thus potentially making the GeckoOS unusable.

I myself chose to keep the 3.3 update.

I fucking love Ippatsuman and Hurricane Polymar. They're just so wicked and I love ending aerial raves with their supers.

But even though I've unlocked all the mini-games... none still beat PTX-40A. My friend and I were on that for at least 30 minutes yesterday. I'm still impressed at how good a lot of them are, but the wrist is killing me from all the waggle heavy ones like Gold Lightan's and Tekkaman's.

Linkhero1

Just came today. YEAH :D

2mhd5x0.jpg

wtf this game is already out? is it region free? i'll pay any price to play it on my wii, but im not going to go through all that modding shit.

if not, when will it come out in america?

PTX vs final boss is impossible

donkey show said:
I fucking love Ippatsuman and Hurricane Polymar. They're just so wicked and I love ending aerial raves with their supers.

But even though I've unlocked all the mini-games... none still beat PTX-40A. My friend and I were on that for at least 30 minutes yesterday. I'm still impressed at how good a lot of them are, but the wrist is killing me from all the waggle heavy ones like Gold Lightan's and Tekkaman's.

I buy the minigames now that I have the characters, but I have no clue which minigames are for which characters. Luckily the only one I bought happened to be megaman! sadly the game is a damn counting servebot thing.

TreIII

Linkzg said:
PTX vs final boss is impossible

At least the PTX can try its damndest to hang back and fire projectiles all day. That gives him at least SOMETHING to work with.

You really want an impossible match? Try putting Lightarn against the Final. Lightarn, quite literally, has NOTHING to help him in that fight. It's even worse than pitting Zangief against Onslaught in MvC1! :lol

Friend and I were basically going back and forth trying to clear the game with Lightarn, and only were able to do so after turning the difficulty down to 1 Star. Even there, it took everything that Lightarn COULD do, plus the AI not being as aggressive, for me to get Lightarn through.

xero273

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf this game is already out? is it region free? i'll pay any price to play it on my wii, but im not going to go through all that modding shit.

if not, when will it come out in america?

not region free. You need to do twilight hack to play. As from coming out in America, the chances are slim.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm starting to warm up to the game. I still don't like the 3 attack thing, also I think the tag system is a total step backwards.

TreIII said:
At least the PTX can try its damndest to hang back and fire projectiles all day. That gives him at least SOMETHING to work with.

You really want an impossible match? Try putting Lightarn against the Final. Lightarn, quite literally, has NOTHING to help him in that fight. It's even worse than pitting Zangief against Onslaught in MvC1! :lol

Friend and I were basically going back and forth trying to clear the game with Lightarn, and only were able to do so after turning the difficulty down to 1 Star. Even there, it took everything that Lightarn COULD do, plus the AI not being as aggressive, for me to get Lightarn through.
This. I had the fucking hardest time and I did exactly what you did in order to beat that asshole Yami. I'm just glad he didn't keep doing his fucking grab supers on me like in difficulty 8. It was straight retarded.

Doing it with PTX is a fucking breeze in comparison.

akakaze

Banned
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Impressions

Finally. The Versus series gets its first psuedosequel in 8 years, and it was worth the wait. Despite the shifting of licenses from US-based Marvel Comics to JP-based Tatsunoko Productions, and the implementation of 3D visuals, it holds up as the best fighting game released for the current generation of consoles (though admittedly there haven't been too many yet).

The gameplay is typical Versus series, and feels like an updated version of MvC. The reduction of possible buttons does take some getting used to (as attacks are limited to 3 buttons - weak, strong, and fierce), and launchers don't work the way you necessarily expect. As opposed to MvC2, there are 22 characters to choose from, though each one is expertly rendered in 3D. Particle effects are some of the best ever on Wii, as the visuals in this game are some of the first to match, or even surpass in some cases, Nintendo first-party efforts. The end boss, compared with the ones from previous VS titles, takes some skill to take down and will require more turtling than most aggressive players are used to having to do.

The new gameplay elements, including Baroque (which acts like a Guilty Gear Roman Cancel but with a damage multiplier) will make the game relevant for high-level play, and I can see it quickly becoming a valid tournament fighter despite the scaled-back control scheme.

The minigames included as extras which use the Wiimote are fairly pointless exercises in waggle, but they do provide another way of earning points to unlock characters, stage profiles, BGMs, art, and character descriptions in the shop. There are ONLY four hidden characters and NO new stages to unlock (but a bunch of waggletastic minigames :lol )

Miscellaneous Info:

I know some of this has been posted already, but to clear things up, I wanted to include the katakana this time around. Also the info on gamefaqs for unlocking characters isn't accurate, although the previous post around pg. 71 appeared correct. I wanted to go ahead and list the details again anyways, to save people a search.

Menu Translation (courtesy of me):

アーケード =Arcade Mode
バーサス =Vs. Mode
サバイバル = Survival
タイムアタック = Time Attack
トレーニング =Training
プレイデータ =Play Data
オプション = Option
ショップ = Shop
ギャラリー =Gallery
オリジナルゲーム =Original (Mini) Games

Unlockable Characters:

Beating the game earns you ~800 pts (zenny) to spend in the shop. Hidden character requirements listed below. Once beating the game with the appropriate character(s), the hidden fighters will be available in the shop at the prices listed below.

Saki - beat the game with a Capcom character delivering the final blow to Yami (1000 pts)

Viewtiful Joe - beat the game with a Capcom character delivering the final blow to Yami 3 times (2000 pts)

Ippatsuman - beat the game with a Tatsunoko character delivering the final blow to Yami 3 times (2000 pts)

Daimaoh - beat the game with a Tatsunoko character delivering the final blow to Yami (1000 pts)

Would it benefit anyone here for me to do a longer post on the shop translation and its unlockables? I know there was some talk about it earlier, so...if there's interest, let me know.

TreIII

Funny thing seems to be that, as a friend of mine, tianyuan (the host of the recent YT vids), can attest, many of the old guard from the Hokuto no Ken scene have since started to move on, to this game. :lol

The game is definitely making nice waves in Japan. I'm REALLY thinking that the reason the numbers aren't there are either because a) the sales records aren't complete or b) Capcom hasn't supplied retailers with enough units of the game yet.

Judging by how I'm hearing many complains of people having to scour different stores to find the game, I wondering if it may be a lil bit of both...

Linkhero1

TreIII said:
Funny thing seems to be that, as a friend of mine, tianyuan (the host of the recent YT vids), can attest, many of the old guard from the Hokuto no Ken scene have since started to move on, to this game. :lol

The game is definitely making nice waves in Japan. I'm REALLY thinking that the reason the numbers aren't there are either because a) the sales records aren't complete or b) Capcom hasn't supplied retailers with enough units of the game yet.

Judging by how I'm hearing many complains of people having to scour different stores to find the game, I wondering if it may be a lil bit of both...
Are import numbers included from websites like play-asia? That's why it was low...they didn't include the 15k imported :p

TreIII

Linkhero1 said:
Are import numbers included from websites like play-asia? That's why it was low...they didn't include the 15k imported :p

Usually, nope.

Except in mostly extra-ordinary circumstances, import numbers are negligible.

Though, I would think TvC may have what it takes to possibly be in that number of rare games that burns up the importing charts, like Ouendan for DS.

Boss Doggie

I do wish they make a Wii-ware game of that PTX-40A minigame. It's quite good.

Anyone dubbing Tekkaman with his cheesy 70's dub while playing as him?

SPACE LANCE!

jibblypop

Banned
I saw this game sitting in a shop in Toronto! I couldn't believe it! So I bought it and put it in the wii and it doesn't work!
I have no idea how to make imports work =(

Someone told me if I put a modchip in the wii then it would work.. is that true? I'm kind of afraid to mod the system though just to play one game. I just want to play this game so bad.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
jibblypop said:
I saw this game sitting in a shop in Toronto! I couldn't believe it! So I bought it and put it in the wii and it doesn't work!

Someone told me if I put a modchip in the wii then it would work.. is that true? I'm kind of afraid to mod the system though just to play one game. I just want to play this game so bad.

''Twilight Hack''. Not sure how much I can say here without getting banned.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, TvC is fucking great. Budokai and I were playing it all day today at his place.

Anony

jibblypop said:

where was it, and was there arcade sticks there?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Budokai and I had a great fight between Gold Lightan and PTX. MINDBLOWING.

2DMention

Banned
akakaze said:
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Impressions

Finally. The Versus series gets its first psuedosequel in 8 years, and it was worth the wait. Despite the shifting of licenses from US-based Marvel Comics to JP-based Tatsunoko Productions, and the implementation of 3D visuals, it holds up as the best fighting game released for the current generation of consoles (though admittedly there haven't been too many yet).

The gameplay is typical Versus series, and feels like an updated version of MvC. The reduction of possible buttons does take some getting used to (as attacks are limited to 3 buttons - weak, strong, and fierce), and launchers don't work the way you necessarily expect. As opposed to MvC2, there are 22 characters to choose from, though each one is expertly rendered in 3D. Particle effects are some of the best ever on Wii, as the visuals in this game are some of the first to match, or even surpass in some cases, Nintendo first-party efforts. The end boss, compared with the ones from previous VS titles, takes some skill to take down and will require more turtling than most aggressive players are used to having to do.

The new gameplay elements, including Baroque (which acts like a Guilty Gear Roman Cancel but with a damage multiplier) will make the game relevant for high-level play, and I can see it quickly becoming a valid tournament fighter despite the scaled-back control scheme.

The minigames included as extras which use the Wiimote are fairly pointless exercises in waggle, but they do provide another way of earning points to unlock characters, stage profiles, BGMs, art, and character descriptions in the shop. There are ONLY four hidden characters and NO new stages to unlock (but a bunch of waggletastic minigames :lol )

Miscellaneous Info:

I know some of this has been posted already, but to clear things up, I wanted to include the katakana this time around. Also the info on gamefaqs for unlocking characters isn't accurate, although the previous post around pg. 71 appeared correct. I wanted to go ahead and list the details again anyways, to save people a search.

Menu Translation (courtesy of me):

アーケード =Arcade Mode
バーサス =Vs. Mode
サバイバル = Survival
タイムアタック = Time Attack
トレーニング =Training
プレイデータ =Play Data
オプション = Option
ショップ = Shop
ギャラリー =Gallery
オリジナルゲーム =Original (Mini) Games

Unlockable Characters:

Beating the game earns you ~800 pts (zenny) to spend in the shop. Hidden character requirements listed below. Once beating the game with the appropriate character(s), the hidden fighters will be available in the shop at the prices listed below.

Saki - beat the game with a Capcom character delivering the final blow to Yami (1000 pts)

Viewtiful Joe - beat the game with a Capcom character delivering the final blow to Yami 3 times (2000 pts)

Ippatsuman - beat the game with a Tatsunoko character delivering the final blow to Yami 3 times (2000 pts)

Daimaoh - beat the game with a Tatsunoko character delivering the final blow to Yami (1000 pts)

Would it benefit anyone here for me to do a longer post on the shop translation and its unlockables? I know there was some talk about it earlier, so...if there's interest, let me know.

Did you buy a JP Wii just to play this game, or did you buy an extra Wii, mod it, and won't take it online?

thetrin

Lyte Edge said:
Lightan's fun, but PTX is kinda boring to use.

I pretty much agree. Lightan's downward punch attack is brutal.

akakaze

Banned
I stopped updating at 3.2U and just use my freeloader. I'll be getting another US Wii sometime in the next year (probably after they finally drop the price) and at that point I'll resume updates on the one I already have and just use the extra one for imports. :lol

Top Bottom