• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + is a Switch launch game (retail/digital)

LordKano

How does this cost $40 these days? It was $5 when it first released. How did that happen?

It got remade in a new art style and with a better engine. It's called The Binding of Isaac : Rebirth (and costs 15$). Then, they made an expansion, called AfterBirth (around 11$) and they ended up making an expansion of the expansion, called Afterbirth + (around 11$ too). So on digital you would pay 37$ for the whole package.

Magwik

Banned
Never played BoI. Is it good? should I get it? How would you guys descrive it? It looks a bit same-y on the gameplay vids I´ve seen.
The appeal of Isaac comes from the understanding of its systems and how they all work together. There are hundreds of items that all work differently together and figuring out how to best use them while also learning enemy patterns is extremely rewarding. Every floor is procedurally generated so while the objective is the same, each and every time you start a new run its completely different. There is really nothing like it.

Is this the first M rated game to ever launch on a Nintendo console?

Regardless, this is a good sign that they wont back off of more mature third party titles. I mean...this game is pretty offensive toward religion, haha.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Regardless, this is a good sign that they wont back off of more mature third party titles. I mean...this game is pretty offensive toward religion, haha.

I think ZombiU was a launch title. And wasn't Red Steel M?

Edit: Nevermind, Red Steel was T.

The appeal of Isaac comes from the understanding of its systems and how they all work together. There are hundreds of items that all work differently together and figuring out how to best use them while also learning enemy patterns is extremely rewarding. Every floor is procedurally generated so while the objective is the same, each and every time you start a new run its completely different. There is really nothing like it.

One of my top 10 games of all time. I've never been a huge replayer of games or a completionist, and I'm still not really, but every time I die I jump RIGHT BACK into a run of this game. I bought it on Wii U and New 3DS (bleh, not the best port) and I'm thrilled to get the expansions.

"What does this even do?"
-Me, all the time, playing Binding of Isaac

NotLiquid

How similar is this game to Enter the Gungeon? (which I love)

Binding of Isaac is considerably "smaller scale"/more quick-fire and is also a lot more RNG dependent. Maps are (mostly) single screen and there's a bigger focus on passive item combination where-as Gungeon has more of a micromanagement element to it.

Plum

Lets hope it comes out at least in the UK at launch. Zelda and this seem like a perfect launch game pair.

Ahh gotcha, I was thinking ZombieU was T for whatever reason.

Anyway, very happy to see Isaac coming to Switch. I don't think I'll triple dip but this is an absolute must have for the uninitiated

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Too pricey for me. I have the base game on PS4 (and Vita before I sold that off) from PS+. I liked it well enough, but skipped on the expansions due to price compared to things like Enter the Gungeon, Nuclear Throne etc. Issac is good, but not worth the premium over other twinstick roguelikes to me.

Nerazar

Also: Manhunt 2 on Wii, MadWorld on Wii... Wii was pretty brutal as a console.

I sure hope that Europe also gets something to play next to Zelda... I would pick BoI up, to be honest. Even digitally. It has a coop mode and it's very well reviewed, plus it offers gameplay for shorter time streches.

Ashilyn

Well, preordered at Amazon. Hope it's one of those "first few 1000 copies". Everything about this console launch has me wanting to double up on preorders just in case :\

King_Moc

Banned

Probably Mortal Kombat 2 on the SNES i'd imagine.

Edit: Unless you mean launch alongside the console, in which case it's probably Zombi U.

Snagged this when it first came up on Amazon! Only played Original and Rebirth, but not the ones after that. Looking forward to it, plus that snazzy cover art.

Alfredo

Very cool. Played the mess out of Rebirth on Vita (until my PS+ expired :p). I guess it's finally time to plop money down on it.

Too bad the Switch doesn't have a web browser though. I guess I'll just have to keep the Binding of Isaac wiki open on my phone...just like Nintendo intends with their online plans :p

Ok now I am totally satisfied with the launch titles. Zelda, Bomberman and this will be more than enough until MK8D.

And for the people complaining about cost.. to get all of the content in this game you would spend roughly 40 on pc. And that's digital.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You are a wise poster and deserve happiness.
I would cry tears of joy to have a portable Spelunky. I never had, nor want, a Vita and we never got the Wii U version I prayed for. But Switch would be the perfect console for these kinds of indie games. BoI is gonna be great (As long as it isn't a shitty port.) and Spelunky, maybe another Cave Story+ and a Super Meat Boy (Though shame about the new soundtrack.) and maybe some other classics like World of Goo would be like the greatest thing ever. And I'd buy them all in physical boxes if they put them out there.

But really, all I want is Spelunky, as long as it has Daily Challenges with leaderboards. Or even without them. I don't care. Let me play Spelunky in my hands without having to boot up Windows on my laptop and connect a controller.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Considering how slow Nicalis is at rolling out updates/expansions for consoles, I think this is an excellent deal for future Switch owners. It's a steal for anyone who hasn't tried the series yet.

Ok now I am totally satisfied with the launch titles. Zelda, Bomberman and this will be more than enough until MK8D.

And for the people complaining about cost.. to get all of the content in this game you would spend roughly 40 on pc. And that's digital.

I agree completely. It's so strange how just one title, one that I've already played (well, just rebirth), completely changed my perspective on the launch lineup.

Top Bottom