• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + is a Switch launch game (retail/digital)

MAN I'M SO EXCITED! :D

Love this game so much, having a physical release really pleases me.

Now the question though, where should I import from? GameStop? Amazon?

I'd much rather just grab it on day 1 locally, but I highly doubt it'll come out here (New Zealand) so I wanna snap up a pre-order after that first 1000 tease.

RuhRo

Is there any reason to get this on Switch instead of PS4, aside from portability, which I don't plan on using?

-Mikey-

Very excited for this at launch. Haven't played since the original release and it'll be a blast to take it on the go.

Boogiepop

It got remade in a new art style and with a better engine. It's called The Binding of Isaac : Rebirth (and costs 15$). Then, they made an expansion, called AfterBirth (around 11$) and they ended up making an expansion of the expansion, called Afterbirth + (around 11$ too). So on digital you would pay 37$ for the whole package.

Huh. I know of this and that there were expansions, but didn't know they were full on pay things. I'm assuming they add some meaty additions, then, yeah?

Also, any chance of getting screwed on this port/any reason to be worried about this maybe ending up a broken version? I wouldn't be concerned about it, but I recall that the 3DS version was apparently pretty busted or something, yeah?

Huh. I know of this and that there were expansions, but didn't know they were full on pay things. I'm assuming they add some meaty additions, then, yeah?

Also, any chance of getting screwed on this port/any reason to be worried about this maybe ending up a broken version? I wouldn't be concerned about it, but I recall that the 3DS version was apparently pretty busted or something, yeah?

You know how Shovel Knight added two extra campaigns so far? That sort of meat, different genre.

I would say there's a slim chance of this one fucking up.

Anyone play the co-op on this? Every version I played didn't have it.

This tweet seems to imply it.

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/820520252228284416

C2MS0PyUsAAhhbD.jpg

"Anyone wanna come over and #playdoubles on #nintendoswitch?"

saunderez

Anyone play the co-op on this? Every version I played didn't have it.

There's no real co-op at the moment. Player 2 only gets to be a familiar. It reminds me of what co-op was like in Super Mario Galaxy.

However....the Antibirth mod on PC has true co-op which is hard as hell (due to having to share items and consumables) and Edmund recently held a survey asking if the community would be interested in it being added to Afterbirth+.

I would cry tears of joy to have a portable Spelunky. I never had, nor want, a Vita and we never got the Wii U version I prayed for. But Switch would be the perfect console for these kinds of indie games. BoI is gonna be great (As long as it isn't a shitty port.) and Spelunky, maybe another Cave Story+ and a Super Meat Boy (Though shame about the new soundtrack.) and maybe some other classics like World of Goo would be like the greatest thing ever. And I'd buy them all in physical boxes if they put them out there.

But really, all I want is Spelunky, as long as it has Daily Challenges with leaderboards. Or even without them. I don't care. Let me play Spelunky in my hands without having to boot up Windows on my laptop and connect a controller.

It's a shame you didn't want the Vita version - it wasn't perfect (some heavy slowdown in some places) but it's my favourite version through virtue of being portable and the controls were better than the PS4 version. My only concern with a Switch version would be the lack of d-pad (sans Pro Controller).

My Vita is a brilliant indie machine so I'm also expecting Switch to continue that. Frankly, BoI, Spelunky, Terraria, Don't Starve, Cave Story, the new Wonderboy remakes, good versions of better Telltale games + Nintendo games (and Mother 3 is on its way), all on the move = pure joy.

Given that people may be somewhat starved for games at launch, I really hope this does well for Nicalis. Not only are there tons of fans who are thrilled to pick up the updates and a physical copy, but also people who may have never heard of it and see it as 1 of 5-6 titles on a shelf and at least give it a google (and see how revered it is).

I'm really optimistic and excited for them. This was an awesome move.

Given that people may be somewhat starved for games at launch, I really hope this does well for Nicalis. Not only are there tons of fans who are thrilled to pick up the updates and a physical copy, but also people who may have never heard of it and see it as 1 of 5-6 titles on a shelf and at least give it a google (and see how revered it is).

I'm really optimistic and excited for them. This was an awesome move.

This is going to sell really well among early adopters, thats for sure, this and bomberman because what else are you going to buy after Zelda? 1 2 Switch?

This is going to sell really well among early adopters, thats for sure, this and bomberman because what else are you going to buy after Zelda? 1 2 Switch?

Exactly. I know I'm going to show it to my friends who are interested in Switch. Except there is uproar in the Bomberman thread about the $50 price tag and 30fps. I'm sure it'll sell well but I do hope they do something to make it even the slightest bit more attractive to consumers.

Akoi

I'm super tempted to get this, I liked the free copy I got for ps4 on psplus and my understanding is that the expansions make this way better..

Prepare to lose hundreds of hours playing if you fully 'get into' Binding of Isaac. :D

It's not for everyone I know, it can be frustrating at times, but when you're hooked it's the definition of a 'one more run' type game.

So good, love it!

I'm really happy to have it physically finally for my collection, and I'm really happy it's coming at launch because like has been mentioned it could help it find some new fans. People are always looking for decent games with meat on them to get stuck into when they buy a new console.

I wonder what the teaser about the first 1,000 copies is about. I preordered from Amazon, but something about the way distribution from half a dozen retailers works makes me think this will be a pretty random affair, despite how early someone preordered.

I wonder what the teaser about the first 1,000 copies is about. I preordered from Amazon, but something about the way distribution from half a dozen retailers works makes me think this will be a pretty random affair, despite how early someone preordered.
In all fairness they say 'first few thousand copies' which, for all we know, could just be the Day 1 or first run of the game. I'm sure they're not expecting to sell gangbusters.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really pleased about this. It shows how Nintendo's policies have changed since the dark days where they wouldn't allow it on the eShop

I wanted this so badly that I preordered it on my phone while I was driving. I couldn't wait to get home.

The one time I decide to go 100% Nintendo, they decide to release the game of the decade in physical cart form. It is a sign that I made the right decision.

marrec

Banned
I wanted this so badly that I preordered it on my phone while I was driving. I couldn't wait to get home.

The one time I decide to go 100% Nintendo, they decide to release the game of the decade in physical cart form. It is a sign that I made the right decision.

Honestly, I was weighing canceling my pre-orders before I saw this. I need this, no ifs ands or buts.

Never played BoI. Is it good? should I get it? How would you guys descrive it? It looks a bit same-y on the gameplay vids I´ve seen.

I have >500 hours on Steam, and un-counted hundreds more between Vita and PS4.

Probably my most played game of all-time.

I'd describe it as a randomly generated take on old-school Zelda, but the way a huge % of the items interact with each other uniquely is very impressive, and keeps things fresh. Even having basically seen it all I live for some super-rare item combinations.

I'm contemplating a Switch just to buy this game in a portable format, since the Vita version doesn't get the DLC stuff.

Never played BoI. Is it good? should I get it? How would you guys descrive it? It looks a bit same-y on the gameplay vids I´ve seen.

Here's the review I wrote on Steam
It's always funny when I see lists on forums and websites stating "best game remakes!" and they never mention this game. Which, as far as I'm concerned, sits right up there with Zero Mission and Mario All Stars as one of the best remakes. It took a good, but flawed game and turned it into a masterpiece. This game is basically perfect.

- It's challenging, but fair. I hardly ever find myself thinking "this was a cheap death." 99% of the time I die because I picked up a bad item combination, I rushed myself and missed resources, I didn't dodge right, or I was just not paying attention. Ironically, in a game that's entirely randomly generated, there's very little RNG. You always feel "in control", despite random rooms, random items and random enemies. Pretty much every run is entirely possible to beat. Once you get into a "groove" and understand the mechanics, it's very easy to start a run not thinking "will I win this run" but rather "how can I maximize my resources and time to work towards unlocks"

- It's got an incredibly charming visual design. The enemies and characters are adorable. They have big eyes and heads. They smile a lot. They're all immensely charming to look at. And you don't even realize just how grotesque and disturbing the game actually is. One of the bosses is super happy, jumping around. And then you deal enough damage and his eyes pop out of their sockets. And then later you might encounter his rotting course, eyes still bleeding out. But its name is Peep and it's pretty cute. This is also a story of an abused child fighting against gross abominations, who eventually kills his own fetus and ascends to Heaven to come to peace with his mortality, or travels to Hell and literally defeats the devil and realizes he is full of sin and maybe he should be sacrificed. One of my favorite characters in the game, and the one I think is one of the cutest, is literally a dead baby. But it's never done for shock value. He's just colored blue and has silly cartoon x eyes. This isn't a game that's gross and disturbing just to shock audiences, because the game isn't really shocking and grotesque on the surface. And it never takes itself seriously. While also dealing with serious issues like child abuse and death. It's a complex game in a cute little package, which is kind of hard to explain just how well it "clicks."

- Every run is entirely different, but at the same time, all pull from the same mechanics. About half the items in the game are simple stat +/- items. One item makes you fat, giving you health, but slowing you down. One increases all your stats, then shuffles them. Quite a lot literally just raise one or two stats and do nothing else. That's not to say there isn't an absurd amount of variety (I don't believe any items overlap), but really, at its core, a ton of items are simple stat changes. The other half range from game breaking (Mom's Knife, Brimstone), to useless (Butter Bean), to run ending if you're not careful (Tiny Planet). And note I said "if you're not careful" because every item is entirely possible to beat the game with, some just require more skill to use than others. And it's kind of intimidating to have hundreds of items to remember. But... it just sort of happens. Over time you just learn what are "good" to pick up and what should be avoided. As long as you remember a few "problem" items like Tiny Planet or Cursed Eye, you can pretty much safely take anything without much fear of ending your run.

- You always make progress. The game has like a hundred hours of raw content before you unlock everything. And these things take time. It takes time to get good enough to beat the big bad final bosses with every character. Very rarely will you have a run where at least one pop up stating "such and such has appeared in the basement" doesn't appear. But the nature of the game, randomed levels and enemies every time, it ends up not really feeling tedious at all.

There's something very raw and I guess... "wholesome" to this game. It feels like the sort of game I'd play as a kid. It's always gameplay first at every stage of this game. Nothing gets in the way of the raw gameplay. To me it has a very "Nintendo" like design to it, much like most of Edmund's games (like Meat Boy, Gish, Time Fcuk).

Also buy Afterbirth because Bumbo want coin

Top Bottom