• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Zeknurn

Pretty sure that's a screen from Forza. No nose shot.

Yep. Cropping should be illegal.

12518914004_d8628845b4_o.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
All Merc powered cars and Ferrari will be spread by 5 tenths when they're going full ham in qualifying.

Gap is wider than 0.5 seconds, used softs or SS up or down..

Ferrari is having some issues with their PU and how to get all the power to the wheels during acceleration. And they probably ran with limited ERS output for most of the time in Bahrain, because they had issues with it when using it at 100%

Shaneus

Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Move over blown diffusers, see Renault's blown engines.
Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Mercedes first. Renault cursed. Noses like bratwurst.

Eh, best I could do during work :/

Staab

Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| From blow job to nose job.

(From blown diffusers to the new penis noses - sexual innuendo, eh.)

Ark

Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Powered by Durex
Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Just pretend they're not there
Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Go away, stop being nosey
Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Nose-dive into a new era

I'm never any good at these.

Marko: "Niki always tries to sign Vettel/Newey for Merc"
Lauda: "And you always tell me they got contracts till 2017!"
Marko: "Correct!"

Heh.

Addnan

Well you guys vote on a title and I'll put it up on Friday.

So far I have calendar and teams. Do I need anything else in there? Should maybe have a small section on rule changes. Hmm.

DBT85

Well you guys vote on a title and I'll put it up on Friday.

So far I have calendar and teams. Do I need anything else in there? Should maybe have a small section on rule changes. Hmm.

Small section? Heh. Less wing, much nose, such quiet, dat turbo. Vroom Vroom.

Lotus Technical Director Nick Chester on the Renault Power Unit: "We're kinda fucked"

"Due to the complexity of relationship between the energy and braking systems, combined with the problems Lotus have had with their Renault power units during testing, Chester admitted that it would take the Enstone team a considerable amount of time to perform at an optimal level this year.

"With the chassis itself the level of grip isn't too bad, even though we've lost a little bit of downforce," Chester told crash.net.

"The biggest problems are how the chassis works with the power unit and how the energy recovery system works. So there are some inconsistencies there which are making it very difficult for the driver to predict what he is going to get when he arrives at the corner.

"So the system is not doing exactly the same thing every time and that is disturbing the driver and losing us a lot of time."

Chester added that he has had no confirmation from Renault either way with regards to how long it would take the French manufacturer to get its power units working with its associated systems on a consistent basis.

"There are no fixed timescales. They are working very hard on it. I'm sure when they gather all the information after [the final] test for what has happened with all the teams we'll get another update of what is happening for Melbourne," Chester added.

Deadman

So webber will be producing some films for bbc this year, I imagine in between WEC races.

Jake Humphrey ‏@mrjakehumphrey

Nice to see #MarkWebber has chosen #bbcf1 to continue his F1 career out of the cockpit. Good move by all parties...

Andrew Benson @andrewbensonf1

New feature of #bbcf1 coverage this year is a series of films by @aussiegrit, who will join us for a few races

https://twitter.com/mrjakehumphrey/status/440791656741494784
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/440790789648822272

DBT85

Well that's more than what I have now.

V6 Turbo Engines and Penis'

Ok, off the top of my head

Approx 15% reduction in wing downforce, from narrower front wings and shallower rear wings and no beam wing. Also resulting in less drag.

8 speed gearboxes

1.6L V6 turbos to 15,000 rpm

160 bhp for 33 seconds per lap from the ERS system. Not a magic button on the steering wheel, all computer controlled with maps and modes.

Drivers get points for being bad. 12 points = race ban. Varying points for varying offences.

New 5 second penalty for minor offences. Can either be taken at a normal pitstop (cannot touch the car for 5 seconds) or have the 5 seconds added to your time after the race has finished.

Only 100kg of fuel can be used between lights out and the chequered flag. Cars will leave the pits with about 105-110kg. Last year cars would use about 160kg.

Each Power Unit is made up of 6 modules((1) the engine, (2) the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), (3) the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), (4) the energy store (ES), (5) the turbocharger (TC) and (6) the control electronics (CE)), you can chop and change those 6 parts all season, but can only use 5 of each. Using a 6th of any will result in anything from a 5 place grid drop to starting from the pit.

Fixed gear ratios for the whole season. The set of gears you use at Monza will be the same ones you use at Monaco. Each team gets one Joker. A Joker allows them to choose new ratios to be fixed for the remaining races.

Results of all this should be:
Higher top speeds
Faster acceleration
Slower in corners
Lap times 1-2 seconds slower than last year, depending on the circuit.
Lots more wheelspin
More DNF due to engine failures
ERS failure means you are totally and utterly fucked

olore

160 bhp for 33 seconds per lap from the ERS system. Not a magic button on the steering wheel, all computer controlled with maps and modes.

Could you explain how the 160 bhp is being deployed in more detail, how is it controlled?

DBT85

Could you explain how the 160 bhp is being deployed in more detail, how is it controlled?

I'd love to. But I can't. Lol

Basically, it's controlled by the throttle pedal and the computer. Each car will have different modes for wet or fuel save just like they do now, and within that will be the setup for the ERS.

So for example. In "wet" mode, instead of using all 160bhp only for 33 seconds, with crazy torque which will make people spin, maybe they set it to only use 60bhp until you are above 100 mph, at which point you have the grip to use the rest of the power.

Basically, instead of pressing the button at the right point on the track to get the boost, the boost will be there dependant on what mode they have set the dial to on the wheel, and the computer will feed it in based on your throttle position and speed.

I suppose there is nothing to stop them having a button on the wheel that switches to "full beans" mode while it's pressed though. Bit it still wouldn't just be an instant power button like KERS was.

Nicktendo86

Lotus Technical Director Nick Chester on the Renault Power Unit: "We're kinda fucked"

"Due to the complexity of relationship between the energy and braking systems, combined with the problems Lotus have had with their Renault power units during testing, Chester admitted that it would take the Enstone team a considerable amount of time to perform at an optimal level this year.

"With the chassis itself the level of grip isn't too bad, even though we've lost a little bit of downforce," Chester told crash.net.

"The biggest problems are how the chassis works with the power unit and how the energy recovery system works. So there are some inconsistencies there which are making it very difficult for the driver to predict what he is going to get when he arrives at the corner.

"So the system is not doing exactly the same thing every time and that is disturbing the driver and losing us a lot of time."

Chester added that he has had no confirmation from Renault either way with regards to how long it would take the French manufacturer to get its power units working with its associated systems on a consistent basis.

"There are no fixed timescales. They are working very hard on it. I'm sure when they gather all the information after [the final] test for what has happened with all the teams we'll get another update of what is happening for Melbourne," Chester added.

Yep, proper fucked. Can't see Lotus surviving the season to be honest.

olore

I'd love to. But I can't. Lol.

Cheers. That sounds like a whole universe in itself for the teams to understand and properly set their cars up for each event and the current weather during the race. IE it`s bloody difficult

Zeknurn

After digging through old irc logs for a while I finally found the f1 fantasy league I suggested last year right before gppredictor was picked.

http://www.f1manager.info/

I remember it was the solution most similar to f1racemanager. You don't pick a fuel supplier in this one but otherwise it's like f1rm where you start out with picking two drivers, a chassi and an engine. Based on how well your lineup does in the race you get awarded cash that you use to purchase new drivers, chassis and engines. Most importantly you can't afford the expensive drivers and parts at the start which will prevent everyone from jumping on the Mercedes train.

You can set up private leagues and there's the usual leaderboards and features.

When I can think of a good team name I'm going to register and check it out if it's good enough.

Hasney

After digging through old irc logs for a while I finally found the f1 fantasy league I suggested last year right before gppredictor was picked.

http://www.f1manager.info/

I remember it was the solution most similar to f1racemanager. You don't pick a fuel supplier in this one but otherwise it's like f1rm where you start out with picking two drivers, a chassi and an engine. Based on how well your lineup does in the race you get awarded cash that you use to purchase new drivers, chassis and engines. Most importantly you can't afford the expensive drivers and parts at the start which will prevent everyone from jumping on the Mercedes train.

You can set up private leagues and there's the usual leaderboards and features.

When I can think of a good team name I'm going to register and check it out if it's good enough.

Just done this, looks pretty good although you are on the dregs. Had to cut back on driver and chassis, but managed to get Williams for engine.

I'll let you have first option on setting up a league as you found it, but it looks like fun!

Jibbed

Gary Anderson's latest testing form analysis based on best times (fuel-corrected/averaged) per team:

Williams 100%
Mercedes +0.134%

Force India +1.215%
Ferrari +1.215%
Red Bull +1.701%
McLaren +1.931%

Toro Rosso +3.065%
Marussia +3.947%
Sauber +3.981%

Caterham +5.179%
Lotus +5.957%

Williams and Mercedes well ahead, Red Bull much further up than most would think, Marussia surprisingly good, and Lotus undeniably fucked.

I'd love to. But I can't. Lol

Basically, it's controlled by the throttle pedal and the computer. Each car will have different modes for wet or fuel save just like they do now, and within that will be the setup for the ERS.

So for example. In "wet" mode, instead of using all 160bhp only for 33 seconds, with crazy torque which will make people spin, maybe they set it to only use 60bhp until you are above 100 mph, at which point you have the grip to use the rest of the power.

Basically, instead of pressing the button at the right point on the track to get the boost, the boost will be there dependant on what mode they have set the dial to on the wheel, and the computer will feed it in based on your throttle position and speed.

I suppose there is nothing to stop them having a button on the wheel that switches to "full beans" mode while it's pressed though. Bit it still wouldn't just be an instant power button like KERS was.

and that's really just the half of it. The engine manufacturers look at it equally from opposing view point of augmenting the electric engine with the petrol one. I'm sure a fair potion of that 33 seconds is going to be dedicated to help power the car when the tires are the limiting factor such as in slow corners. There's no point using precious fuel when the car is not in a position to put that energy to the ground. It's not just going to be moar powah! It's definitely going to be used to save fuel too.

Kworn

Banned
Do cars have a button for KERS? Or it's replacement, as I have heard it is all managed with computers.

No more DRS?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Gazzeta della Sport reporting, that Ferrari raced with lower downforce setting in last test in Bahrain - to reduce drag and more importantly, fuel consumption. This is also the reason they were the first on speedtraps.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Another italian magazine, Autosprint citing inside sources at certain Italian team, reported today that that team used their own time recorders in Bahrain and times were better than official ones - shocking discovery.

Juicy Bob

Gary Anderson's latest testing form analysis based on best times (fuel-corrected/averaged) per team:

Williams 100%
Mercedes +0.134%

Force India +1.215%
Ferrari +1.215%
Red Bull +1.701%
McLaren +1.931%

Toro Rosso +3.065%
Marussia +3.947%
Sauber +3.981%

Caterham +5.179%
Lotus +5.957%

Williams and Mercedes well ahead, Red Bull much further up than most would think, Marussia surprisingly good, and Lotus undeniably fucked.
I will laugh my arse off if it turns out that Maldonado abandoned Williams for Lotus just when Williams turn up with their best car for a decade and Lotus struggle to make it out of Q1.

Top Bottom