• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ha, fucksake. Created a new account after deleting my old one and now my new account wont login. Says the email address doesn't exist, even though it sent me a "forgotten password" email.

Changes don't cost money before the start of the season apparently, so no need for a new acct.

AcridMeat

Banned
I joined and my original name of Kobayashi's Potato Vodka: Officially Endorsed by Kimi Räikkönen was cut off.

I'll let you take a guess at which one is mine now.

How do you purchase things? Man I miss the one we used a couple seasons ago. :/

dubc35

I joined and my original name of Kobayashi's Potato Vodka: Officially Endorsed by Kimi Räikkönen was cut off.

I'll let you take a guess at which one is mine now.

How do you purchase things? Man I miss the one we used a couple seasons ago. :/

KKK vodka?! Rofl, you must not live in the US.

Btw, my team has been Kobayashi's Potato the last three years :p

AcridMeat

Banned
KKK vodka?! Rofl, you must not live in the US.

Btw, my team has been Kobayashi's Potato the last three years :p
I do actually. Haha I noticed your name on there after the fact so it's better I changed it anyway.

I figured out how to purchase a team. They could have made it easier to figure out.

malyce

It is all smoke and mirrors right now, but in Bahrain I heard talk that the team was nowhere near running at 100% and had a second and a half in hand. I had a brief word with a source at the team before I left testing. He laughed, winked and replied, “A second and a half? Not quite that much.”

While the team won’t be drawn on exactly how big their advantage is, there are some who believe it could be even greater than the 1.5 seconds bandied around at testing.

From what I understand from a high level independent source after testing had finished, the reality could be even more astonishing. If the data adds up as he believes and the factory Mercedes team was able to run their cars at 100%, right now they would win every Grand Prix not by a few seconds but by two clear laps.

Two. Laps.

So long as their reliability holds up, his feeling was that Mercedes AMG won’t need to go anywhere near showing their hand in the early races. They should be able to use the season to slowly build confidence and reliability and just as everyone thinks they’ve caught up, Mercedes can turn it up and blow everyone away again.

The reason for this is the team’s superior grasp not only of the engine but, just as with Williams, an incredible handle on energy recovery and its usage. This will be the key in 2014, and right now Mercedes has the edge.

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2014/03/04/so-what-do-we-know/

LOL

1655677_10152224218931413_506696944_o.jpg

Can't be a new title sponsor announcement tomorrow when the car isn't centre stage...

Two laps? I call bullshit.

Two laps is very unlikely.

Although with that said, there's a huge difference between having the power / advantage to do that, and actually doing it. There are races where Vettel could have lapped every single car last year, but it makes no sense to do it. Just get yourself a pitstop advantage and then save your car.

dubc35

LOL

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t31/1655677_10152224218931413_506696944_o.jpg[/img

Can't be a new title sponsor announcement tomorrow when the car isn't centre stage...[/QUOTE]

Ugh I made the mistake (not really) to watch a MP4-12C documentary a couple months ago. They interviewed Ron during it and he was walking in the MTC and complained about how he knew a certain tile was replaced due to the off color.

So, I know read "title" as tile and also immediately noticed the off colored tiles in the picture. lol

Edit, Senna helmet so GT6 dlc? Is that still a game? Does it work? I abandoned it months ago.

oipic

My Heart Will Grosjean

Brilliant! Well played, kharma.

It's difficult enough to predict tomorrow's weather here in Melbourne, so this is stretching it a bit... but the current forecast for quali Saturday includes thunderstorms! Low-to-mid 20s expected across the three days at the moment, which will no doubt please Adrian Newey and some Renault engineers.

(having said that, expect it to be 35 degrees+ on race day now)

Shaneus

Brilliant! Well played, kharma.

It's difficult enough to predict tomorrow's weather here in Melbourne, so this is stretching it a bit... but the current forecast for quali Saturday includes thunderstorms! Low-to-mid 20s expected across the three days at the moment, which will no doubt please Adrian Newey and some Renault engineers.

(having said that, expect it to be 35 degrees+ on race day now)
Oh nice, another local! You're going, I assume?

DBT85

Two laps is very unlikely.

Although with that said, there's a huge difference between having the power / advantage to do that, and actually doing it. There are races where Vettel could have lapped every single car last year, but it makes no sense to do it. Just get yourself a pitstop advantage and then save your car.

Exactly. In an age of having to use less parts, get 30s ahead and then cruise.

I would love a Williams v Mercedes battle this year.

oipic

Oh nice, another local! You're going, I assume?

Days/viewing/seating locations still to be determined, but indeed I am, Shaneus. We must fulfil our duty as the first to hear 22 2014-spec cars running together in anger, after all.

Well, '22' might be overly optimistic, but, y'know.

Shaneus

Days/viewing/seating locations still to be determined, but indeed I am, Shaneus. We must fulfil our duty as the first to hear 22 2014-spec cars running together in anger, after all.

Well, '22' might be overly optimistic, but, y'know.
I'm near enough to the starting line, so I'm all good. Anyone after turn one, though... well, probably won't be hearing 22.

Looks great. Probably could have been a little better if Martini had bought the side pod as well, but hey, that's just how it goes. Love that number font too. That's one badass 19.

Dead Man

Our standards have fallen a long way if that is a beautiful car. It is a nice livery in the age of needing 4000 sponsors plastered over a car, but that's about as far as I'll go. The car itself is also the best implementation of penisnose, but again, that is far from a beautiful overall result.

/cranky bastard.

Ronbo speaks:

“We have to get back to competitiveness as soon as possible and we will get there much faster than people imagine, ” declared McLaren boss Ron Dennis this morning, breaking his silence for the first time since seizing back control of the company from Martin Whitmarsh.

“I believe we will win races this year, how many I don’t know and when I don’t know. Company was unfit and I said to them that if they match my commitment we will win. If they don’t match that they won’t be with the company.”

Dennis was on feisty form at press gathering at the McLaren Technical Centre in Woking, England, laying out his vision for the company and for the F1 team’s return to competitiveness after its worst season since 1980.

“The people were distracted, they had lost focus,” he said of the team as it was run by Whitmarsh last year. From now on “The F1 people in the company will only do F1, no distractions.”

He declined to speak about Whitmarsh’s future, describing him as a friend and insisting that what is going on at the moment is “between us”. However sources suggest that Whitmarsh is currently on holiday in Asia and will be sorting out his severance package when he returns later this month.

Dennis spelled out the role he will – and more importantly won’t – perform at races,
“I have no intention to run the GP team. I guide them advise them and will use my executive power to make changes if needed,” he said. “I’m fully involved at moment. Won’t be active at the circuit. I’m there to observe. We are in the restructuring phase at the moment and I want to be involved.”

Eric Boullier is the Racing Director and that means that “Eric will carry the responsibility of that are assigned in the regulations of a team principal.” But Dennis, like Mercedes, believes that the job is too big today for one man to run a team, when he is out of the factory on the road at races for almost four months a year. The CEO role is the key to his vision, factory based and focussed on developing the team and making the car faster, leaving Boullier to run the race team. Jonathan Neale is filling the role currently and will be the benchmark against whom all other candidates will be measured.

“The factory is where the power has to be. What makes the car faster happens here,” he said.

Dennis confirmed that the team will have no title sponsor at the first race of the season, but added, “One will feature in a few races after that. We are negotiating with several companies at the moment and I’m optimistic that it will happen sooner than later.” He added that they had turned away several companies offering a stop gap solution, preferring to pursue a long term partner to replace Vodafone.

On the drivers he said that hiring Kevin Magnussen was his decision, based on information from engineers. As for Jenson Button he described him as an “incredibly good human being, principled and has values. The way he conducts his life and his relationship with the team is right up there with the best drivers we have had here. He’s incredibly fit and intelligent, which will be important this year.

In a sign that Dennis’ presence in the F1 paddock may influence the direction the sport takes on several topics, he indicated both that he was not a fan of budget caps and also that he has “done his bit” for the collective good in the past and from now on will be focussed on what is best for McLaren, rather than the F1 teams as a whole.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/03/ron-dennis-breaks-his-silence-we-will-win-again-soon/

Top Bottom