The Knick stars Clive Owen as a brilliant doctor who works at the groundbreaking Knickerbocker Hospital in the early 1900s. The series was written by Jack Amiel, Michael Begler, and Steven Katz. Steven Soderbergh directed all 10 episodes of the first season.
Cinemax has renewed The Knick for a 10 episode second season, to air in 2015. Steven Soderbergh will return to direct all 10 episodes.
New York City, 1900: The Knickerbocker Hospital is home to groundbreaking surgeons, nurses and staff who push the boundaries of medicine in a time of astonishingly high mortality rates and zero antibiotics. The newly appointed leader of the surgery staff is the brilliant, arrogant renegade Dr. John Thackery, whose addiction to cocaine and opium is trumped only by his ambition for medical discovery and renown among his peers.
Into the all-white staff and patient hospital comes the equally gifted Harvard graduate Dr. Algernon Edwards, who must fight for respect while trying to navigate the racially charged city.
Trying to maintain its reputation for quality care while realizing a profit, the Knickerbocker makes an effort to attract wealthy clientele, while literally struggling to keep the lights on.
- Dr. John Thackery is an arrogant, self-absorbed, yet brilliant surgeon who burns the candle at both ends, but manages to shine in the surgical theatre.
- Jacob Speight is a health department inspector who exploits the perks of his position, demanding a finders fee for every patient he brings to the Knick.
- Cornelia Robertson not only serves as head of the hospitals social welfare office, but also chairs the hospitals board of trustees as proxy for her father, shipping tycoon Captain August Robertson (Grainger Hines).
- Dr. Everett Gallinger is an aspiring surgeon on Thackerys staff whose hopes of being named assistant chief surgeon are dashed when an outsider is appointed to the position.
- Dr. Algernon Edwards is a gifted, Harvard-trained surgeon the only black member of his graduating class whose determination to be recognized for his abilities in the face of racial prejudice is coupled with his desire to learn everything he can from the openly dismissive Dr. Thackery.
- Dr. Bertram Bertie Chickering, Jr. is an eager surgeon-in-training who comes to the Knick for the romance and excitement of learning from a groundbreaking surgeon.
- Lucy Elkins is a naïve young nurse from West Virginia who has come to New York for adventure, and finds more than she ever imagined at the Knick.
- Tom Cleary is the crude, jovial Irish ambulance driver who gets kickbacks for funneling rich patients to the Knick and takes great delight in harassing those who stand in his path.
- Herman Barrow is an obsequious and deceptively greedy hospital administrator who robs Peter to pay Paul in order to keep the Knickerbocker, and himself, afloat.
Videos and Articles
The Knick: Trailer
The Knick: Trailer #2
WSJ - 'The Knick' Portrays Gilded-Age Gore
THR - Cinemax Gives Steven Soderbergh's 'The Knick' Early Season 2 Renewal
Zap2It - 5 things to know about Cinemax's Steven Soderbergh-Clive Owen drama
Hitfix - The Knick creators discuss the journey from Shaggy Dog
In short: gory, haunting, recommended.
- James Poniewozik
The Knick is very good. If you're excited by a Soderbergh-Clive Owen team up, well, you should be. Aces.
- Mo Ryan
More reviews forthcoming...