• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

I wish we had this thread in 2009, when the UCS Falcon was the big expensive set. I wouldn't be kicking myself now for not buying it then.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
OK Calm Killer, honest opinion - was it worth it?

I got it off ebay for 350 and spent around 20 hours building it. The only complaint I have about it is the front connector pieces were not designed well. They use two pieces similar to light sabers to hold the front down and they just bend up due to the weight. I feel this could have been accomplished better. Great build though. I enjoyed it greatly. This is my second build since rediscovering lego. I built Fire Bridage a month ago with my wife and it was a lot of fun. This one was a solo project and it was a great build as well. If you have to coin I would recommend it. And honestly if I want to sell it in the future I should have no problem getting my money back. At this point I will most likely have to disassemble it because I just don't have the room to display it. I would love to build a glass coffee table and put the whole thing in it as a great display piece.

I got it off ebay for 350 and spent around 20 hours building it. The only complaint I have about it is the front connector pieces were not designed well. They use two pieces similar to light sabers to hold the front down and they just bend up due to the weight. I feel this could have been accomplished better. Great build though. I enjoyed it greatly. This is my second build since rediscovering lego. I build Fire Bridage a month ago with my wife and it was a lot of fun. This one was a solo project and it was a great build as well. If you have to coin I would recommend it. And honestly if I want to sell it in the future I should have no problem getting my money back. At this point I will most likely have to disassemble it because I just don't have the room to display it. I would love to build a glass coffee table and put the whole thing in it as a great display piece.

you almost have me sold, and that sounds like an awesome idea. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got it off ebay for 350 and spent around 20 hours building it. The only complaint I have about it is the front connector pieces were not designed well. They use two pieces similar to light sabers to hold the front down and they just bend up due to the weight. I feel this could have been accomplished better. Great build though. I enjoyed it greatly. This is my second build since rediscovering lego. I built Fire Bridage a month ago with my wife and it was a lot of fun. This one was a solo project and it was a great build as well. If you have to coin I would recommend it. And honestly if I want to sell it in the future I should have no problem getting my money back. At this point I will most likely have to disassemble it because I just don't have the room to display it. I would love to build a glass coffee table and put the whole thing in it as a great display piece.

That's a pretty killer deal and a sweet idea...If I manage to grab one here, I'm probably going to display it at the office on the top of my shelves, ha.

That's exactly what I was contemplating doing with my MOC Arkham set. It's virtually impossible to display any other way.

Death Star has me intrigued, but the fact that it's designed as a play set is what has me turned off. :|

I could see my daughter and I playing with it on a nightly basis for a good long while. The fact that the build is also apparently quite good is just icing on the cake.

I really want to get the haunted house and the modulars first, though. At least the fire station and the pet shop. Then...I'll think about it ;p

The SSD is definitely not for me, however. I have no place to display it. All the grey is tempting for moc, but not $400 tempting.

I could see my daughter and I playing with it on a nightly basis for a good long while. The fact that the build is also apparently quite good is just icing on the cake.

I really want to get the haunted house and the modulars first, though. At least the fire station and the pet shop. Then...I'll think about it ;p

The SSD is definitely not for me, however. I have no place to display it. All the grey is tempting for moc, but not $400 tempting.

If any set is going to disappear first, it will be the Death Star. It is a miracle that it is still around.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The Imperial Shuttle 10212 and Grand Emporium are my next two builds I believe. Christmas presents probably.

Nope. But the wings are so large it rests just fine on its own. I posted pics of stands I made for the X Wing and Y Wing. I have yet to crack (or attempt in months really) a good stand for the TIE Fighter.

Yeah i loved the Xwing stand idea. Thanks mate. Thinking the TIE Fighter is my next set.

Legoland Windsor yesterday, hit and miss to be honest. Queues were crazy so we only got about 5 rides despite being there from opening to closing.

Atlantis was the longest at about 90 minutes even though it was 5pm when we started to queue.

Shop had nothing special but the Star Wars miniland experience managed to drag the whole thing into a positive. I'll post pics when I get them up somewhere.

For now, my only 100% complete theme. Shinkai arrived just before we left for Legoland and although it was a bargain to begin with once you factor insurance from Hong Kong plus getting done by customs it was a little more than I was happy with but it's worth it overall.

jtGWi.jpg

For now, my only 100% complete theme. Shinkai arrived just before we left for Legoland and although it was a bargain to begin with once you factor insurance from Hong Kong plus getting done by customs it was a little more than I was happy with but it's worth it overall.

jtGWi.jpg

Damn, totally jealous of your Shinkai. Are playing on building those sets or leaving them sealed? I've had the Minecraft set for a while and don't know if I want to build it.

Damn, totally jealous of your Shinkai. Are playing on building those sets or leaving them sealed? I've had the Minecraft set for a while and don't know if I want to build it.

All three have been built and I'll grab a pic of them tomorrow. I know I won't sell them so no point in keeping them sealed.

No worries. Its complete. The last pic is the final product. No more wall of pics incoming.
Ah ok. Great pics, I just can't be tempted right now. Got a big promotion and treated myself to too much Lego in the past couple weeks. I need to use this money on more important things. And actually I didn't even start my new job yet, so I'm spending future disposable income.

ghostmind

Stopped by the LEGO store today to pick up some birthday gifts for my son. Talking with the staff, I learned that the number one seller currently, by a wide margin, at the store is this guy:

ZvuCw.jpg

The Green Ninja

They were also saying that Ninjago is continuing to sell as well as it did last fall, and that they expect another very successful Christmas with the theme.

Side story: Where I work, we have to wear an ID badge for security purposes, which I often wear on a lanyard around my neck. On occasion I have forgotten to remove said badge before I leave work for the day. Well - while walking around the LEGO store, a woman comes up to me and starts telling me about how her son had an accident and urinated on the floor in front of the PAB wall. I thought this was a rather odd line of conversation to start with a total stranger, but just kept nodding my head as she went on, not giving me any breaks in her talking to mention that I did not actually work there. Eventually an actual LEGO employee came up and proceeded to help the lady, upon which she immediately shifted her focus to them without the slightest recognition that she had just been telling her story to a random person.

Chuck

Still without luck
Stopped by the LEGO store today to pick up some birthday gifts for my son. Talking with the staff, I learned that the number one seller currently, by a wide margin, at the store is this guy:

ZvuCw.jpg

The Green Ninja

They were also saying that Ninjago is continuing to sell as well as it did last fall, and that they expect another very successful Christmas with the theme.

Ninjago is not only the best selling theme, it is doing so by a huge margin over the previous champ, Star Wars. We're getting in that Green Ninja spinner in on monday and we definietly expect to sell all 55 before the store closes that day. He's so popular that I believe the best selling Ninjago set is the most expensive one, the Epic Dragon Battle, and JUST because that's the only way to get his minifig. It's really crazy.

Ninjago, huh? I don't get that line...How is it so popular?

The Cartoon Network cartoon. Here's a clip.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ninjago is not only the best selling theme, it is doing so by a huge margin over the previous champ, Star Wars. We're getting in that Green Ninja spinner in on monday and we definietly expect to sell all 55 before the store closes that day. He's so popular that I believe the best selling Ninjago set is the most expensive one, the Epic Dragon Battle, and JUST because that's the only way to get his minifig. It's really crazy.

Is there any info/insight as to why this theme is so crazy popular??

ghostmind

Ninjago is not only the best selling theme, it is doing so by a huge margin over the previous champ, Star Wars. We're getting in that Green Ninja spinner in on monday and we definietly expect to sell all 55 before the store closes that day. He's so popular that I believe the best selling Ninjago set is the most expensive one, the Epic Dragon Battle, and JUST because that's the only way to get his minifig. It's really crazy.[/URL]

Yep, that's the set my son wants for his birthday...

lm52s.jpg

We've got all the dragons from last year, and they are all pretty sweet.

EDIT: and yes, we've watched all the episodes of the cartoon so far... its one of the things my boy and his buddies talk about amongst themselves (the other being Pokemon).

Chuck

Still without luck
Is there any info/insight as to why this theme is so crazy popular??
Ninjas are cool.
And this guy knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

Seriously though, I think it's a combination of things. The kids watch the 'awesome ninja cartoon' (i've not seen it myself), then get to play with the actual cars and motorcycles and dragons from the show, and then they can battle each other with the beyblade-style spinners. All that, and it's Lego.

Lego just seems to be doing everything right with this. My hope is that they do the same thing for Monster Fighters and create a cartoon for that next. That could be really cool.

Ninjas are cool.

The sets don't do much for me, but I really want a bunch of Ninja figures. D

And this guy knows a thing or two about a thing or two.

Seriously though, I think it's a combination of things. The kids watch the 'awesome ninja cartoon' (i've not seen it myself), then get to play with the actual cars and motorcycles and dragons from the show, and then they can battle each other with the beyblade-style spinners. All that, and it's Lego.

Lego just seems to be doing everything right with this. My hope is that they do the same thing for Monster Fighters and create a cartoon for that next. That could be really cool.

I saw a Monster Fighters story book this week. It is the only non liscenced Lego theme outside of ninjago and city that I have seen that for. I think they have high hopes for the line. As do I.

wetwired

There is a Ninjago TV series? mind blown.

I haven't bought any of the sets but when they first came out a few years ago I bought the standalone minifigs from bricklink of the old guy, white ninja, black ninja, red ninja and an older dark gray ninja from an older theme. I have them on my desk at work because ninjas are cool.

I should have picked up the blue one too as I don't like the newer fancier versions, they remind me too much of power rangers.

GSR

The Ninjago craze reminds me of when Bionicle was big, but this seems a far sight larger if it's got a TV show going (though I've no doubt there's a back-and-forth going on there). Interesting to see Lego hit paydirt with a story-based original theme again.

Vyer

Yep, that's the set my son wants for his birthday...

lm52s.jpg

We've got all the dragons from last year, and they are all pretty sweet.

EDIT: and yes, we've watched all the episodes of the cartoon so far... its one of the things my boy and his buddies talk about amongst themselves (the other being Pokemon).

I don't really have an interest in Ninjago, but some of those minifigs look pretty sweet, and I have to admit the dragon on this box is pretty awesome.

please don't make me interested in Ninjago

ghostmind

There is a Ninjago TV series? mind blown.

I haven't bought any of the sets but when they first came out a few years ago I bought the standalone minifigs from bricklink of the old guy, white ninja, black ninja, red ninja and an older dark gray ninja from an older theme. I have them on my desk at work because ninjas are cool.

I should have picked up the blue one too as I don't like the newer fancier versions, they remind me too much of power rangers.

They are going through another costume change for 2013:

QfERn.jpg

The Ninjago craze reminds me of when Bionicle was big, but this seems a far sight larger if it's got a TV show going (though I've no doubt there's a back-and-forth going on there). Interesting to see Lego hit paydirt with a story-based original theme again.
Ninjago is cooler because it is regular mini figs combined with unique sets. Bionicle was weird buildable heroes.

And Nicoga, ninjas have always been cool. Always. :)

Anyways, I got a coupon for up to 20% off at TRU (in stores only) that is good for only Thursday the 23rd. Who wants it? I can email you the coupon to use. First one to respond here and then PM with email info gets it.

judhudson

Ninjago is cooler because it is regular mini figs combined with unique sets. Bionicle was weird buildable heroes.

Anyways, I got a coupon for up to 20% off at TRU (in stores only) that is good for only Thursday the 23rd. Who wants it? I can email you the coupon to use. First one to respond here and then PM with email info gets it.

I got the coupon to. Keep in mind that you will have to present your TRU Rewards Card in order to redeem it.

wetwired

They are going through another costume change for 2013:

QfERn.jpg

I guess they have to keep selling sets. I found the "classic ninja" blue one on bricklink for as little as $3 on bricklink so I'll have to pick him up at some point.

Here's the older one I got a while back, though I got a different head for it.

cas049.jpg

I would appreciate the code if you still have it.

ghostmind

For those that live near or visit the Lego Store often - I don't suppose anyone could do me a favor?

I would like to track these down:

I don't suppose these are available yet, are they?

I went looking for these exact sets today at the LEGO store. No luck yet. There will be another zombie car as a free promo (with $75 purchase) in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom