• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons 600 Marathon |OT| | Starting Thursday at Noon EST / 9am PST on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Bart's face.

1238453.gif

Is Poochie the episode with the most quotes used in other contexts? "I hope somebody got fired for that blunder", "Worst Episode Ever", "My planet needs me"... It's hard to determine the other high-density episodes (in terms of repurpose-able lines.)

The great episodes will get called out in this thread. I'll say right now that if you haven't watched Trilogy of Error before, you should make some time to scope it out when it airs on Tuesday night. It's the best post-Classic era episode in the show penned by the HD era savior on the writing team, Matt Selman. You'll be in for a treat.

I havent seen many episodes passed season 9, but somehow caught Trilogy of Error when it aired and its one of my favorite.

Wingwo IS dead.

vypek

"Dad, why did you bring me to a gay steel mill?"

Homer's reactions in the episode come off as a bit odd considering he didn't have much of a reaction when he was kissed by a man before. But later he does kind of freak out when a gay roommate kisses him.

vypek

Grade-School Confidential right after Homer vs. the 18th Amendment

The amount of high quality episodes packed together are amazing.

EDIT: Ruth Powers with goofed hair. I like catching small mistakes in the drawings

UberTag

I think this episode is the first evidence of dip in quality
I wouldn't say that necessarily. There are plenty of subpar episodes in Season 7; I don't care for Two Bad Neighbors much at all.

What makes My Sister, My Sitter stick out like a sore thumb in Season 8 is that it really goes all out with its black comedy angle and doesn't really let up. It's highly unusual to see Lisa in these circumstances. I enjoy it because it's different but it's not unusual for it to rub people the wrong way.

I do find it interesting that Dan Greaney has penned some of the most noteworthy episodes featuring memorable confrontations between Bart and Lisa across multiple eras... from Summer of 4 Ft. 2, The Genesis Tub THOH segment and My Sister, My Sitter in the classic era to Barthood in the HD era.

vypek

The scene where Rex smashes the windows and pulls Barney in after Barney is making odd faces is another one of the best in the series for me.

Grade-School Confidential right after Homer vs. the 18th Amendment

The amount of high quality episodes packed together are amazing.

EDIT: Ruth Powers with goofed hair. I like catching small mistakes in the drawings
I always found Ruth Powers mildly fascinating. She actually has lines in like what, two episodes? But she's a pretty permanent crowd scene character from that point on.

I think one of the advantages Simpsons has is with how many minor characters they've introduced over the years, they can totally fill a town hall or mob scene with 100+ familiar faces. Shows like South Park and Family Guy have tried to emulate this and imo it's nowhere near as successful.

I always found Ruth Powers mildly fascinating. She actually has lines in like what, two episodes? But she's a pretty permanent crowd scene character from that point on.

I think one of the advantages Simpsons has is with how many minor characters they've introduced over the years, they can totally fill a town hall or mob scene with 100+ familiar faces. Shows like South Park and Family Guy have tried to emulate this and imo it's nowhere near as successful.

Yeah, though since groups like Bart's class are pretty unchanging you end up with a lot of weird-looking kids with no personality, such as sunglasses kid and, uh, blue haired glasses girl.

UberTag

Three episodes, actually. But I do my best to try and forget the last one.

As certain noteworthy episodes are stuck in terrible time slots, I'm going to give you guys an opportunity to quickly play catch-up by hooking you up with some 60 Second Simpsons installments of late night marathon fare courtesy of Jims that should bring you right up to speed...

60 Second Simpsons Review - My Sister, My Sitter
60 Second Simpsons Review - Homer's Enemy
60 Second Simpsons Review - The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
60 Second Simpsons Review - The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
60 Second Simpsons Review - The Principal and the Pauper
60 Second Simpsons Review - Lisa the Skeptic

And, because this will be pertinent with Season 9 getting underway in a couple hours, here are the showrunner splits for next season for those of you who aren't aware of how it is a frankenstein of sorts with holdover episodes from Seasons 3 through 8 all getting some time in the spotlight.

The Classic era ended when Scully took over as showrunner in Season 9. Thing is, there are a bunch of holdover episodes in Season 9 from prior showrunner regimes that hold up well enough that I consider them to be Classic era as they were not made under Scully's regime.

Those episodes being...
- The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson (Oakley & Weinstein | Seasons 7-8)
- The Principal and the Pauper (Oakley & Weinstein | Seasons 7-8)
- Lisa's Sax (Jean & Reiss | Seasons 3-4)
- All Singing, All Dancing (Mirkin | Seasons 5-6)
- The Joy of Sect (Mirkin | Seasons 5-6)
- Lisa the Simpson (Oakley & Weinstein | Seasons 7-8)
- Simpson Tide (Jean & Reiss | Seasons 3-4)

It would be silly not to consider those episodes as part of the Classic era because they had Classic era showrunner(s).

That said there are decent episodes from Scully to be found in Season 9... most notably The Cartridge Family and Das Bus. You should not be watching episodes under Scully or Jean (without Reiss) with any expectation of consistency or quality. In fact, the only showrunner since that you CAN watch episodes with some expectation of quality is Matt Selman who started running 4-5 episodes per year starting in Season 23.

Three episodes, actually. But I do my best to try and forget the last one.

As certain noteworthy episodes are stuck in terrible time slots, I'm going to give you guys an opportunity to quickly play catch-up by hooking you up with some 60 Second Simpsons installments of late night marathon fare courtesy of Jims that should bring you right up to speed...

60 Second Simpsons Review - My Sister, My Sitter
60 Second Simpsons Review - Homer's Enemy
60 Second Simpsons Review - The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
60 Second Simpsons Review - The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
60 Second Simpsons Review - The Principal and the Pauper
60 Second Simpsons Review - Lisa the Skeptic

And, because this will be pertinent with Season 9 getting underway in a couple hours, here are the showrunner splits for next season for those of you who aren't aware of how it is a frankenstein of sorts with holdover episodes from Seasons 3 through 8 all getting some time in the spotlight.
Do you think it's possible Matt Selman would ever run an entire season?

The fact that Al Jean's voice has been dominating the series for so long (16 seasons now!) is probably the biggest factor to the show's decline. Nothing against Jean, he seems like a nice and talented guy, but the dude's clearly been coasting for a while.

I'm not a fan of where Scully took the show, but he had a distinctive voice from the previous showrunners. Jean's voice seems to be a neutered Scully. And we've had well over 300 episodes of that.

UberTag

Is their a dvd or blu ray set that has most if not all of the good simpsons seasons?
Your only option is to go to simpsonsworld.com. FOX has no interest in releasing a comprehensive DVD/BluRay collection of the series. Certain seasons can't even be legally owned in major markets either physically or digitally and I doubt that will ever change.

That said, if you don't own any of the show and want to get started, the individual season collections from the Classic era can be found on Amazon and elsewhere and can be found on sale quite often.

Do you think it's possible Matt Selman would ever run an entire season?

The fact that Al Jean's voice has been dominating the series for so long (16 seasons now!) is probably the biggest factor to the show's decline. Nothing against Jean, he seems like a nice and talented guy, but the dude's clearly been coasting for a while.
If there was a possibility of it happening, it would have happened by now. Jean is content to coast on his legacy until the show's end - likely at the end of Season 30 after they've toppled the silly Gunsmoke record. Frankly, I'm grateful we get a handful of Selman-run episodes each production cycle and that he's been given some independence in shaping how they turn out.

The primary reason why Jean is no longer cut out for the gig is precisely BECAUSE he's a nice and talented guy. He doesn't want to upset anyone and isn't nearly critical enough to shoot down bad ideas that the writing team comes up with. And, as we've seen, they have no shortage of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom