Tribes Ascend Beta Thread: Shazbot!

Wow, just played my first proper match of this and I am loving it. I had played some tribes many years ago but I had no idea what was going on but this is just great.
The speed is the thing I am loving most. Skiing across the map, jet packing up and grabbing the flag in one movement then zooming straight out feels amazing.
The spinfusor is another part that feels great. When you hit the ground below someone as their jet pack runs out takes me back to Quake rockets and rocket jumping.

I am still getting the hang of the different classes and how the different buildings around your base work and what to target.
One question I have is how do you destroy the enemies generator? I was in their base looking around shooting everything in their, maybe I just didn't find it...

Finally it is great that they have good Australian servers for us Oceanic people to play on and get good pings.
 
Played more again last night and really enjoying this. My only gripe right now is that I cannot wait for a proper server browser, and 64 players...
I seem to recall playing on 128 player servers in Tribes 2, or is that old age screwing with my mind?

Oh and damn the vehicles seem to have no love in the game, that needs fixing.
 
ksimm said:
Played more again last night and really enjoying this. My only gripe right now is that I cannot wait for a proper server browser, and 64 players...
I seem to recall playing on 128 player servers in Tribes 2, or is that old age screwing with my mind?
A million times this. It is my only gripe (at the moment atleast), but it is a pretty big one.

ksimm said:
Oh and damn the vehicles seem to have no love in the game, that needs fixing.
Well I haven't actually tried one myself, but if I see a friendly vehicle fire at efc I always release a sigh of relief. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but they always seem to die real quick.
 
ksimm said:
Played more again last night and really enjoying this. My only gripe right now is that I cannot wait for a proper server browser, and 64 players...
I seem to recall playing on 128 player servers in Tribes 2, or is that old age screwing with my mind?
I thought Tribes 2 only allowed for 64 players, but people running their servers modified their server config files manually, which allowed more people on a server like 128 people.

Edit:
Purchased. This game is as fun as hell, definitely worth the $30.
 

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
darkressurection said:
Hmm, think I might bite the bullet and spend some cash to unlock more classes.

I'm thinking the same thing. Played two matches before jumping back on my papers. I was just being dumb earlier about the speed. I can get it working, but you can grind to a halt if you are not careful. Good stuff.
 
I found out two problems with the game. One feels like it hampers my abilities a bit, but as long as I don't play Sentinel (my favorite class :'( ) then I can avoid it.

1: Damn game keeps turning on motion blur. It's annoying because I feel like when going really fast I can't see much and when I'm mindlessly swinging my mouse around to land a disc on someone, it goes a bit crazy.

2: Aim is a bit wonky on this. It doesn't feel smooth at all. It skips a few pixels (if that makes sense). I had to turn on mouse smoothing(?) for it to go away, but that's a bit annoying when you really want to be precise.

Edit:
how do you ski? I can't figure it out. :/
Press Space and hold it. Don't try to Ski up hill, since you'll be going slow and you might as well walk backwards.
 
Game is so, so good. It's also the easiest f2p game to treat as a standard release with regards to paying for stuff. I'm excited for private server functionality.

The lights and leveled mediums get pretty fast.
 
ksimm said:
Oh and damn the vehicles seem to have no love in the game, that needs fixing.
Been running into a couple of vehicles on the other side now, and I still disagree. As a Pathfinder I am instantly one shotted by the tank, and the airplane doesn't need alot of hits before I succumb either.
 
Bought in.
Justifying by supporting the brand. Don't judge me :(
. Physics are definitely different from the first two games. I'm enjoying it though. Tribes is a huge change of pace vs all the military shooters out there.


Anilusion said:
Halo is pretty much a shitty Tribes clone without the awesome bits.
Pretty much this. Tribes is completely different from all the other FPS games on the market, even now.
 
BlueScrote said:
I am really tempted to buy in for Beta Access... I have such good memories of the original Tribes and Tribes 2 (despite the disaster launch it had).
I would say this is far closer to the originals than the T:V abomination.
 
So I wonder if this game will support custom maps? I played a few hours and I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately though there are some issues with it being a little too streamlined.

Bases are small. From what I've seen so far, the bases are tiny compared to Tribes 2.
There is only one generator per base. Seems like it would be more fun to have multiple generators like in Tribes 2.
You can't destroy the stations that let you change your class, you can only take them offline by destroying the generator. It adds another layer of depth when you are able to destroy these stations.

I think they take away a lot of fun tactics with these limitations. Hopefully I was just playing on the beginner maps and future maps will be more complicated.
 
Deadstar said:
Bases are small. From what I've seen so far, the bases are tiny compared to Tribes 2.
There is only one generator per base. Seems like it would be more fun to have multiple generators like in Tribes 2.
Bases are small? Good. They should be. Tribes went off the track with larger bases in the second game. The game is meant to be played outdoors, with very small chokepoint-controlled bases.

There should only be one generator. Again, the game shines when you're skiing or jetpacking outdoors. The worst part of Tribes is trying to play it in a corridor.
 
Deadstar said:
So I wonder if this game will support custom maps? I played a few hours and I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately though there are some issues with it being a little too streamlined.

Bases are small. From what I've seen so far, the bases are tiny compared to Tribes 2.
There is only one generator per base. Seems like it would be more fun to have multiple generators like in Tribes 2.
You can't destroy the stations that let you change your class, you can only take them offline by destroying the generator. It adds another layer of depth when you are able to destroy these stations.

I think they take away a lot of fun tactics with these limitations. Hopefully I was just playing on the beginner maps and future maps will be more complicated.
:( I liked sneaking into bases and destroying a bunch of stuff in the original games.
 
Deadstar said:
You can't destroy the stations that let you change your class, you can only take them offline by destroying the generator. It adds another layer of depth when you are able to destroy these stations.

I think they take away a lot of fun tactics with these limitations. Hopefully I was just playing on the beginner maps and future maps will be more complicated.
This is probably to prevent all the base rape that went on in the original games.
 
dollartaco said:
Bases are small? Good. They should be. Tribes went off the track with larger bases in the second game. The game is meant to be played outdoors, with very small chokepoint-controlled bases.

There should only be one generator. Again, the game shines when you're skiing or jetpacking outdoors. The worst part of Tribes is trying to play it in a corridor.
One of the great things about Tribes 2 is that it gave you options that supported any type of play style. For me personally, I would avoid conflict in the open areas if possible and then sneak into the base and destroy everything, like Reikon talks about above. Alternatively I would play base defense and run around making sure no one had infiltrated. That was my play style and you can't really do these things in Ascension which is a real bummer. The small bases make base defense a little more boring, like on the floating ship map, there is one room into the generator room, so you just sit there and wait for someone to show up and there isn't even that much room to maneuver around.

Though I've only played two maps so we'll see where they take it. If they support custom map making and mods this game will be extremely successful. The game is beautiful, runs great and is a lot of fun.

BlueScrote, I think you raise a good point but it would be cool if they could have found some type of middle ground.
 
Deadstar said:
One of the great things about Tribes 2 is that it gave you options that supported any type of play style. For me personally, I would avoid conflict in the open areas if possible and then sneak into the base and destroy everything, like Reikon talks about above. Alternatively I would play base defense and run around making sure no one had infiltrated. That was my play style and you can't really do these things in Ascension which is a real bummer. The small bases make base defense a little more boring, like on the floating ship map, there is one room into the generator room, so you just sit there and wait for someone to show up and there isn't even that much room to maneuver around.

Though I've only played two maps so we'll see where they take it. If they support custom map making and mods this game will be extremely successful. The game is beautiful, runs great and is a lot of fun.

BlueScrote, I think you raise a good point but it would be cool if they could have found some type of middle ground.
That's true. I think having a varied set of maps would help alleviate some of those issues.

How many people got into the beta from being invited vs buying the VIP Pack?
 
I got a key from one of the various sites who were giving them away. I know at least a few people on gaf got theirs the same way. (I've already ended up dropping some cash, though).
 
Orayn said:
I played a few matches and heard some guy complaining about the LACK of base rape.
i fucking loved the base rape in Tibes 2, the sheer anarchy of heavies equipped with mortars and plasma guns clearing house...it felt like...genocide.

it could be easily enough prevented by not sucking, defending and hunting down the ponderous 4 man transports. Not liking the sound of this game.
 
Any chance in hell this thing gets a Mac version?

Tribes is pretty much the only popular multiplayer shooter I never got a chance to play. And I love capture the flag. :p
 

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
DaBuddaDa said:
Is it worth just dropping the $30 and getting the bonus stuff as well as the beta? I don't mind paying $30 to support a good Tribes game.
Edit: $30 preorder thing looks fine. The most critical thing as far as the cash shop goes is gold, since that lets you avoid the very long class unlock timesink. It's 520 gold per class unlock (ten unlocks total), and with the preorder's 3000 gold you can unlock most or all of the classes you're probably going to be interested in. Then with the boost plus VIP status bonuses you'll have enough tokens saved up to put toward a new class or two when they start adding more.
 

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
The class unlock timesink is currently *so* severe, and it appears that they intend to limit the full map rotation to paid "VIP" players as well, that you should consider it more of a full-featured demo to play it without putting any money in. This is coupled with the very reasonable (for F2P standards) structure of the cash shop where currently $50 instantly unlocks all the classes for you.

And that's fine, they did a good job with the game and they deserve to be paid, and it still lets people try it indefinitely and lets you get your friends on for some casual play if they don't want to drop any cash, and kids and poor college students can still grind 'er out to get class unlocks uhhh hypothetically, so it should have a bigger community than if it had been released as as regular product. That's what really matters: that people keep playing it, and also that the devs have an incentive to keep supporting it with new content.
 
Played it more, still finding it disappointing but it's definitely great fun. For those that never played Tribes 1 and 2 you'll enjoy it even more. Nothing beats a jetpack and a spinfusor.
 

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Am I the only person blue screening in this game? I do not blue screen in any other game I play, and this is my first time blue screening with Windows 7 since it launched...
 

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Iadien said:
Am I the only person blue screening in this game? I do not blue screen in any other game I play, and this is my first time blue screening with Windows 7 since it launched...
Not here, but I get CTDs really frequently upon map switches.
 

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I don't think the game likes my sound card, the one time it didn't blue screen it came up with an error and listed a bunch of sound blaster files. I have a sound blaster x-fi platinum.
 
Only can play the soldier right now, disc rifle is great. Skiing is great!

Soooooooooooooooooooo Goooooooooooooooooooooooood. I can't believe I've missed out on this game.